• Elyounoussi
    • S. Armstrong
    • Adams
    • A. Armstrong
    • Lyanco
    • Diallo
    • Broja

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I still don't get this call to start Broja on the bench. He is our best striker and we need him from the start. Right on cue the team news and Ralph sticks him on the bench. Hope he doesn't regret it and ends up having to bring him on to chase the game. Big chance for Che and Adam to show why Ralph has such confidence in them so we'll see if they take it.

He has exclusively started with Redmond who has COVID. It's like I was saying the other day, Broja doesn't create enough to play alongside one of the other two imo. He'll for sure come on though, he's both a great option if we need a goal and a change of pace and also a great option when holding a lead as his hold up play is better than Armstrong so he can be an out ball.

3 minutes ago, fez said:

Starting 11: McCarthy, Livramento, Bednarek, Salisu, Walker-Peters, Romeu, Ward-Prowse (c), Elyounoussi, Stuart Armstrong, Ché Adams, Adam Armstrong. Substitutes: Forster, Lyanco, Perraud, Diallo, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella, Long, Broja.

Surprised Arma starts ahead of Broja. But at least we have Armando to come off the bench for the last 30 or so today. Also 5 forwards/10s on the bench! Just the 2 defenders and 1 midfielder. Certainly looks like Ralph is all out for the win.

1 minute ago, DT said:

Ooh. No Redmond. *perks up*
great to see Stuart Armstrong start. 

He’s been one of our best players this season. I agree that he’s been below par in previous seasons and I’ve been critical of him, but he’s definitely found a gear this season.

Good to see Stu back, hope he’s fully fit and raring to go. We need a game from Elyounoussi too. Great looking bench if needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minsk said:

Surprised Arma starts ahead of Broja. But at least we have Armando to come off the bench for the last 30 or so today. Also 5 forwards/10s on the bench! Just the 2 defenders and 1 midfielder. Certainly looks like Ralph is all out for the win.

Good point, that bench is pretty poorly balanced. Would like to see Smallbone on there for Long.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

He has exclusively started with Redmond who has COVID. It's like I was saying the other day, Broja doesn't create enough to play alongside one of the other two imo. He'll for sure come on though, he's both a great option if we need a goal and a change of pace and also a great option when holding a lead as his hold up play is better than Armstrong so he can be an out ball.

Broja is a striker not a number 10. His job is to score goal and so far he's done that better than Che and Adam.

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Broja is a striker not a number 10. His job is to score goal and so far he's done that better than Che and Adam.

But then, if he plays as a striker, and we have Che or Arma as a striker who creates? No Redmond leaves a void creatively, and both the above strikers make a lot more than Broja. He can't score goals if he doesn't get chances.

Also, as said elsewhere, Broja has only trained for two days, could be a bit rusty.

Edited by TWar

19 minutes ago, TWar said:

Good point, that bench is pretty poorly balanced. Would like to see Smallbone on there for Long.

Smallbone got some valuable gametime in the under 23s 5-0 win vs Newcastle today so wasn't going to be involved tonight having only just come back from serious injury. 

Both Diallo and Stuart Armstrong can be used in central midfield tonight if needed later in the game.

Edited by Matthew Le God

8 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I still don't get this call to start Broja on the bench. He is our best striker and we need him from the start. Right on cue the team news and Ralph sticks him on the bench. Hope he doesn't regret it and ends up having to bring him on to chase the game. Big chance for Che and Adam to show why Ralph has such confidence in them so we'll see if they take it.

Our best strikers are supposed to be the ones we've paid big fees for, namely Adams and Armstrong.

We need them to start scoring  ASAP. 

Agreed Broja is in great form, but (according to Ralph), he was only back to training on Wednesday,

a 90 minute game  a.t.m. is a very big ask.   I'm sure we'll see him on later in the game, but he's not "our" player 

and may not be here after New Year - if Chelsea decide to " play hardball"  over his loan. 

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

But then, if he plays as a striker, and we have Che or Arma as a striker who creates? No Redmond leaves a void creatively, and both the above strikers make a lot more than Broja. He can't score goals if he doesn't get chances.

Also, as said elsewhere, Broja has only trained for two days, could be a bit rusty.

What a ridiculous argument. Broja is our best finisher. You said yourself that the other two create chances better than him, so whoever he plays with plus S. Armstrong and Elyounoussi creates. Plus he has created plenty of chances for himself with his pace and direct running.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Che Adams is a creative player, as are our two number 10s and two fullbacks.

Just now, david in sweden said:

Our best strikers are supposed to be the ones we've paid big fees for, namely Adams and Armstrong.

We need them to start scoring  ASAP. 

Agreed Broja is in great form, but (according to Ralph), he was only back to training on Wednesday,

a 90 minute game  a.t.m. is a very big ask.   I'm sure we'll see him on later in the game, but he's not "our" player 

and may not be here after New Year - if Chelsea decide to " play hardball"  over his loan. 

He's not getting in the Chelsea line up any time soon, they won't take him back - unless we don't use him enough.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Smallbone got some valuable gametime in the under 23s 5-0 win vs Newcastle today so wasn't going to be involved tonight. 

Both Diallo and Stuart Armstrong can be used in central midfield tonight if needed later in the game.

Thats a good point. Also Ralph alluded to the fact he'd be happy to play Elyounoussi there at one point IIRC.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

What a ridiculous argument. Broja is our best finisher. You said yourself that the other two create chances better than him, so whoever he plays with plus S. Armstrong and Elyounoussi creates. Plus he has created plenty of chances for himself with his pace and direct running.

He actually doesn't. His chance creation numbers for himself are well below the other two.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Even a bit rusty he is more clinical than Che and Adam. Stuart Armstrong can create along with Che or Arma who you describe as creators. Personally the first thing I expect a striker to do is score goals and if he creates chances for others all well and good. I'm disappointed Broja is on the bench so now the others must step up to the plate and be clinical when the chances come along.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Glad someone else sees what I see.

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Chelsea have no power to recall Broja against Saints' wishes, unless he doesn't play a certain % of games.

Where did this come from? I thought the loan rule was a straight no recall for 12 month loans between prem teams.

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Elyanoussi starts again. How are people finding his play this season? I find him ok, tidy enough but many games I've forget he was playing. He's not one to really grab the game by the stuff of the neck,  he just quietly does his thing. 

I like him, he keeps the ball well which is rare for us.

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Elyanoussi starts again. How are people finding his play this season? I find him ok, tidy enough but many games I've forget he was playing. He's not one to really grab the game by the stuff of the neck,  he just quietly does his thing. 

He's been fairly quiet but he works really hard and he's played an essential role in the press. I get the sense he's going to surprise us with a quality goal out of nowhere sometime soon.

4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Bringing him back in was a masterstroke, a weak area in terms of depth last season. Don't know why people were writing him off after such a small sample of games. 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Bringing him back in was a masterstroke, a weak area in terms of depth last season. Don't know why people were writing him off after such a small sample of games. 

Master stroke? He’s our player, he is literally here by default. He’s been mediocre in a team currently 14th. Nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Master stroke? He’s our player, he is literally here by default. He’s been mediocre in a team currently 14th. Nothing else.

When everyone on here was saying we should get rid on a free if we can, yes it's a master stroke that the club and Ralph saw how well he did at Celtic and brought him back into the fold.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Villa - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic