• JWP
    • Elyounoussi
    • S. Armstrong
    • Adams
    • A. Armstrong
    • Lyanco
    • Diallo
    • Broja

First game back at St Mary's since the Newcastle loss back in 2020 in the old times. Cannot wait.

Like most, my first taste of Saints and the game that got me hooked was the Friday night 2-0 on TV back in 83/84. Was around 9 and have supported Saints ever since, despite moving up to Nottingham in 85.

Once you're in, you're in for good.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

First game back at St Mary's since the Newcastle loss back in 2020 in the old times. Cannot wait.

Like most, my first taste of Saints and the game that got me hooked was the Friday night 2-0 on TV back in 83/84. Was around 9 and have supported Saints ever since, despite moving up to Nottingham in 85.

Steve Moran and Danny Wallace up top? 

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Steve Moran and Danny Wallace up top? 

Aye, the overhead kick game on The Big Match live. As others have said, unusual to have a live game shown in those days. I was leaning towards supporting Liverpool at the time (impressionable youth) so that match had a massive impact on me and my life since, thank goodness Saints won as I would hate to be a bin dipper, hard to imagine not supporting Saints.

41 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

Aye, the overhead kick game on The Big Match live. As others have said, unusual to have a live game shown in those days. I was leaning towards supporting Liverpool at the time (impressionable youth) so that match had a massive impact on me and my life since, thank goodness Saints won as I would hate to be a bin dipper, hard to imagine not supporting Saints.

In the back of the very good Hagiology (Google that word) books - there was a section where fans were invited to submit their story’s and memories on the book title subject. 
Pretty certain in the back of Full Time at The Dell, there is a great submission from a chap recalling going down the Saints with his Dad when he was a nipper probably for the first time, walking home he mentioned to his Dad about Saints losing to which his Dad replied “You don’t choose to support the Saints: the Saints choose you”.

So there you go greater forces were at play that night - the choice selecting young Cyclon was made and you didn’t even feel a thing!

😇

Edited by John Boy Saint
Kan’t bluddy Spell!

39 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

Yes, it must be awful to be a Liverpool supporter ; - ) 

Had a couple of messages with a Villa fan I know, they've gone from being overly optimistic to overly pessimistic in a very short space of time. It seemed they allowed themselves as a fan base to get caught up in the hype of some big money signings (ignoring it was funded by Grealish) and really thought they were set to challenge for European spots this season. Now they're talking about sacking the manager and getting caught up in a relegation battle. 

Personally i think they've got some good players and will be a close contest, wouldn't surprise me if they play defensively and we end up with a 1-1. 

2 hours ago, CylonKing said:

Here was another great Friday night memory from the same season live on the Beeb...

I can remember watching it in a pub in town and then a group of us singing "he's a bald headed bastard but he scored the winning goal!" in the streets afterwards.

Ah memories...

• Like 1

over the summer i enjoyed listening to a villa fan telling his mate that Grealish going was no problem. Also he really didnt understand why he would move... anyone else that has moved on from Villa hasnt really gone on to do much elsewhere... even Milner 

I loved this!! Just shows how blinkered we all are as fans. James Milner had a League cup runners up medal at Villa and now has 3 Premier League Champions, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 1 Champions League ignoring all the Runners ups and Charity Shield, Uefa Super Cup, World Club cup nonsense wins.  

Apparently their record is 7 wins in 30 which isn't too dissimilar to ours over the course of the calendar year. 

If I was Ralph, I'd be looking to target the left side of their defence - Targett and Mings. They've looked all over the shop this season and Tino, hopefully accompanied by S.Armstrong, can certainly get at them and cause them no end of problems. 

I have read that Redders may miss this one because of failing a covid test so the starting front four might be interesting assuming that Broja is fit. Will Ralph drop Che despite having scored in the last two or will he try Broja and AA up top together?, does Stuey finally get a start and will he persist with Mo El who has just the one goal and no assists this season in the PL? 

Edited by CAH61

3 minutes ago, CAH61 said:

I have read that Redders may miss this one because of failing a covid test so the starting front four might be interesting assuming that Broja is fit. Will Ralph drop Che despite having scored in the last two or will he try Broja and AA up top together?, does Stuey finally get a start and will he persist with Mo El who has just the one goal and no assists this season in the PL? 

If Broja only trained yesterday it may be a bit short notice to start Friday. I think he'll probably come off the bench. 

Che has 2 in 2 now I think and tends to score in bursts, so I reckon he'll definitely start, plus aside from missing an easy chance last week his all round play was pretty good. 

I suspect Broja might come back in, he's not been out long so 2-3 days full training might be enough. If Redmond is out then is Djenepo fit? I'd hope Armstrong would come in anyway, but it might end up being Moi and Armstrong. 

I'm really looking forward to this game.  Although whenever I feel this good about a game I then get really nervous that we'll blow it (in a sort of 'its the hope that kills you' sort of way.

I think I would start with the same 11 as last week.  Possibly Stu in for Moi if he's fit enough.  No need to rush Broja back in after an injury, he's a great option off the bench.

I'm really pleased Ings isn't playing. As well as the ex-player-come-back-to-haunt-us thing, he is a class striker.  Also it can be distracting for the fans, who should be focused on supporting our team. Also happy Konsa is suspended.  My mate who's a season ticket holder reckons he's much better than Mings and is the main reason for their (previous) defensive strength.  

Someone might be able to help here, but I'm sure we must have a great record of being the last team managers face when they get sacked.  Something to do with losing to us being the last straw.  Can see Smith going the same way if they are outplayed and beaten well.

Edited by The Left Back

39 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Only a handful of tickets left for this, they've sold their allocation, big crowd under the lights, live to the nation...what could go wrong?

Optimistic, but leave it at that.

Is that right? Good news if so.
I had a text from the club yesterday offering me £10 off of a ticket (sadly I cant make it), so I assumed ticket sales had been slow.

13 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Is that right? Good news if so.
I had a text from the club yesterday offering me £10 off of a ticket (sadly I cant make it), so I assumed ticket sales had been slow.

Someone mentioned on the UI this morning around 500 tickets left so should be close to a sell-out by tomorrow night

20 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

It does seem to happen rather a lot. And not just the bottom, we've culled a few high profiles ones as well over the years. 

I don't think Smiths reign would survive a defeat tomorrow, so lets hope we extend the list. 

Smith this weekend, Farke next?

20 minutes ago, SaintSteve said:

One would think so as he’s definitely got that X-factor. However, I’ve a feeling he may stick with the two upfront from last week and bring Broja on second half.

After the chances they missed between them I would hope he has more nous than that.

10 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

After the chances they missed between them I would hope he has more nous than that.

Why risk him let him recover a little more - last 2 goals he's scored on both occasions he has been wiped out after despatching the ball into the net. Let Adam and Che continue, Che is chipping in so tap into the vein while its running and Adam is not far off just needs to get his sights calibrated, if it ain't working, wheel out Armando. If we are playing like we have been a few games this season that will tighten the screw on Villa.

Post match comment from Che post Watford about the competition now in the squad, pretty much said what we all want to hear, everyone has to be on top of their game now. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Why risk him let him recover a little more - last 2 goals he's scored on both occasions he has been wiped out after despatching the ball into the net. Let Adam and Che continue, Che is chipping in so tap into the vein while its running and Adam is not far off just needs to get his sights calibrated, if it ain't working, wheel out Armando. If we are playing like we have been a few games this season that will tighten the screw on Villa.

Post match comment from Che post Watford about the competition now in the squad, pretty much said what we all want to hear, everyone has to be on top of their game now. 

Need to start our best striker to give us the best chance of taking all 3 points. Che and Adam fluffed loads of good chances last week and just aren't clinical enough. Broja is currently the in-form striker and, for me, that means he must start if fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I'm really looking forward to this game.  Although whenever I feel this good about a game I then get really nervous that we'll blow it (in a sort of 'its the hope that kills you' sort of way.

I think I would start with the same 11 as last week.  Possibly Stu in for Moi if he's fit enough.  No need to rush Broja back in after an injury, he's a great option off the bench.

I'm really pleased Ings isn't playing. As well as the ex-player-come-back-to-haunt-us thing, he is a class striker.  Also it can be distracting for the fans, who should be focused on supporting our team. Also happy Konsa is suspended.  My mate who's a season ticket holder reckons he's much better than Mings and is the main reason for their (previous) defensive strength.  

Someone might be able to help here, but I'm sure we must have a great record of being the last team managers face when they get sacked.  Something to do with losing to us being the last straw.  Can see Smith going the same way if they are outplayed and beaten well.

Taking the pessimistic view, not having Ings will force Smith to go back to one up top, and back to the formation that worked for them last season. It will also mean Buendia can play in his preferred position

32 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Taking the pessimistic view, not having Ings will force Smith to go back to one up top, and back to the formation that worked for them last season. It will also mean Buendia can play in his preferred position

It didn't make any difference last week when Smith was also without Ings, played same formation as previous game (at least while they had 11 men).

• Like 1

I would play:

Lyanco

Lyanco      Lyanco                   Lyanco        Lyanco

Lyanco                                      Lyanco

Lyanco                Lyanco

Just to wind up TWAR 😆  I'd probably have a bench consisting of Lyanco as well.  With McGinn suspended I think this is a risk we can afford to take.

45 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I would play:

Lyanco

Lyanco      Lyanco                   Lyanco        Lyanco

Lyanco                                      Lyanco

Lyanco                Lyanco

Just to wind up TWAR 😆  I'd probably have a bench consisting of Lyanco as well.  With McGinn suspended I think this is a risk we can afford to take.

Why would you field just 9 Lyancos?

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I agree and personally would start with Adams and Armstrong again. They both played well in last game. Che seems to be a striker who goes on a run once he gets in the goals and Armstrong seems like he is on the brink of some real form so would stick with him for this one. Broja will definitely play a part from the bench anyway.

14 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

I agree and personally would start with Adams and Armstrong again. They both played well in last game. Che seems to be a striker who goes on a run once he gets in the goals and Armstrong seems like he is on the brink of some real form so would stick with him for this one. Broja will definitely play a part from the bench anyway.

If playing well consists of missing a bunch of very good opportunities then yeah...they played really well. Strikers are meant to put the ball in the net and, ok Che did score, but let's be honest, we should have put that game to bed long before the final whistle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

If playing well consists of missing a bunch of very good opportunities then yeah...they played really well. Strikers are meant to put the ball in the net and, ok Che did score, but let's be honest, we should have put that game to bed long before the final whistle.

I agree and I was disappointed with AA not taking his chances (although his last one was on target but blocked I believe).  But we know from his record that he knows where the goal is, and he IS getting into shooting positions regularly.  Give him another chance tomorrow IMO.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I'd be more concerned if they were not making the opportunities and getting in positions to score. Sometimes you have to be patient and the rewards will come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Once AA gets one, the flood gate will open. He's currently trying too hard, needs to relax a bit. 

Yep, there's a dangerous striker there for sure, i'd be much more concerned if he wasn't attempting to go for goal and shying away from responsibility.

6 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

I'd be more concerned if they were not making the opportunities and getting in positions to score. Sometimes you have to be patient and the rewards will come.

I agree and I thought that A Armstrong's performance was really good against Watford, but disappointed by his two efforts in the 1st half which weren't even close. However, I agree with Teddeer in that Broja has demonstrated that currently he is the most clinical forward we have and based on that I would find a way of playing him. I recognise the "ketchup" argument about Che, but I'd prefer to see Broja and Armstrong have a go together; my only worry is that they have both displayed a selfish streak at times so it might not be a partnership made in heaven .... 

Either way, it is a good problem to have and I'd be surprised if we don't see all three get a run out tomorrow although maybe 1 (or even 2) as substitutes. 

12 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

But Broja is already scoring - 2 in 2 games. Don't get me wrong, I think Adam Armstrong will get goals but we can't afford to give him games at the expense of Broja who has clearly already shown he knows how to finish at this level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CAH61 said:

Here was another great Friday night memory from the same season live on the Beeb...

I can remember watching it in a pub in town and then a group of us singing "he's a bald headed bastard but he scored the winning goal!" in the streets afterwards.

Ah memories...

Remember this game well. A typical away game for us at the time , soak up all the pressure and hit them on the break.

24 minutes ago, manji said:

Remember this game well. A typical away game for us at the time , soak up all the pressure and hit them on the break.

Was at that game every round was away - could be wrong but think it went Forest, that lot down the road (what a day), Blackburn, Sheffield Weds (on a Sunday) then Everton at Highbury. 

Edited by Toadhall Saint

12 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Was at that game every round was away - could be wrong but think it went Forest, that lot down the road (what a day), Blackburn, Sheffield Weds (on a Sunday) then Everton at Highbury. 

Of course skates away. I was at Forest  without looking I’m sure Bournemouth (who were really shit back then) beat Man. United and we were celebrating. How things have changed. Forest away was always good.

Edited by manji

32 minutes ago, manji said:

Of course skates away. I was at Forest  without looking I’m sure Bournemouth (who were really shit back then) beat Man. United and we were celebrating. How things have changed. Forest away was always good.

Yep always good at Forest - I think shilts was playing for them the first time I went there.

• Haha 1

I remember going to Forest in the Cup, they scored in the 89th minute and while their goaly was crazy celebrating 'victory' Terry Paine lobbed a long shot (like Che's first goal) and we drew 1-1. In the Dell replay we were 0-3 down with twenty minutes to go and incredibly drew 3-3. In the next replay (White Hart Lane) half So'ton had made the journey and the turnstiles couldn't cope with the crowds, by the time I got in we were already 3-0 up. I think we won 5-0. I think we reached the semi final that year and lost to Man u 0-1. It was the year of the big freeze 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Villa - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic