• S. Armstrong
    • Adams
    • A. Armstrong
    • Lyanco
    • Diallo
    • Broja

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

image.thumb.png.cd589b0df1d3eb64244314e2190ce327.png

Just an observation, but I thought PL rules for away game allocations is either 10% of stadium capacity or max. 3,000.

Slightly frustrating then to see Villa receive a 3,344 allocation per their website (which they have sold out) 

Official stadium capacity is 32,505 I believe, so 10% of that is not far out I suppose.

1 minute ago, whelk said:

This needs clarifying. Is he or is he not suspended? Maybe he was one of COVID cases Dean Smith didn’t want to elaborate on?

I’ve just checked each Villa PL game on Flash Scores. 4 yellows total including today, so not suspended unfortunately.

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Quick look at their forum, the keeper, manager and Targett getting a bashing at the moment. 

The vitriol on the Targett thread is quite something.

He's clearly a weak link in their defence at the moment. Will be interesting to see how well he copes with Tino's marauding runs from deep on Friday.

11 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Absolutely. I did try as soon as Danny jumped ship, but I think you need to be a full member to change avatar these days… Might have to just pay the £5 fine!

Come on mods. Don't make the man have to pay a fiver to get rid of DI's mug on every post he makes!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

All those who were saying we were wrong to get rid of Targett have gone very quiet. Never looked a good PL defender to me, tries hard but his lack of pace really hurts him.

Still think we did brilliantly to get £15M.

Whilst I agree £15M was a lot, he started all 38 games for a team that finished 11th last season, he's clearly good enough for the PL. 

• Like 2

Anyone know if Ings has COVID and will therefore be out? There were suggestions yesterday that he or one other have COVID-related issues, which was why he didn't play yesterday. Here's hoping (but that he's okay, obvs)

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Anyone know if Ings has COVID and will therefore be out? There were suggestions yesterday that he or one other have COVID-related issues, which was why he didn't play yesterday. Here's hoping (but that he's okay, obvs)

Didn’t he have COVID last season? Not that he can’t catch it twice but would have thought it unlikely 

7 minutes ago, DT said:

Thought there was a post earlier suggesting a muscle tear or something- not Covid-19 tho

16 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

Should be a really good game I think, would still be happy with a point 

It's funny how expectations can change over a few weeks.
A month ago I would have been happy with a point, but after the month we've had and they've had, I would be disappointed now if we didn't win this one.
And dare we dream, but the Norwich game next up looks very winnable too. Its the optimism that kills you!

50 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Perhaps we could bring in Tella for Mo and play him on the right.

Great shout this, or move Djenepo over. Two fast dribbling players in Livra and Djenepo against Targett, they will have a field day.

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

It's funny how expectations can change over a few weeks.
A month ago I would have been happy with a point, but after the month we've had and they've had, I would be disappointed now if we didn't win this one.
And dare we dream, but the Norwich game next up looks very winnable too. Its the optimism that kills you!

4 points from the next two games would be very acceptable and anything above that is a bonus. Having said that they are two fixtures we should be hoping to win given current form and circumstances.  17 points from 12 games would put us in dreamland!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yozzman said:

Ings is a hamstring injury and Luiz is Covid related.

Yep, our concerns were about his knees but he only had only knee problem, a minor one at Villa ironically. Hamstrings he seemed to have 3-4 episodes of IIRC so I’d be surprised if we saw him Friday given his history of them given he has only seemingly just done it. Luis will be on protocols so if it’s less than 14 days from diagnosis he will be isolating.

Watched their game yesterday, hope JWP brings his shooting boots as the closing down from range was slack. Targett had a dreadful game and should have been sent off for a horrible forearm smash on Fornals (I think) which he only got away with as the move ended in another goal. 

10 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Yep, our concerns were about his knees but he only had only knee problem, a minor one at Villa ironically. Hamstrings he seemed to have 3-4 episodes of IIRC so I’d be surprised if we saw him Friday given his history of them given he has only seemingly just done it. Luis will be on protocols so if it’s less than 14 days from diagnosis he will be isolating.

Watched their game yesterday, hope JWP brings his shooting boots as the closing down from range was slack. Targett had a dreadful game and should have been sent off for a horrible forearm smash on Fornals (I think) which he only got away with as the move ended in another goal. 

Wasn’t Targett with forearm. Was Hause

15 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

4 points from the next two games would be very acceptable and anything above that is a bonus. Having said that they are two fixtures we should be hoping to win given current form and circumstances.  17 points from 12 games would put us in dreamland!

Got to be 6 points. Both very winnable games. Never better time to play Villa and put them to the sword - which means 1-0 when Saints 

14 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Apologies, I stand corrected. Hause should be taken to task about that retrospectively, horrendous and very out of control. 

I agree, but I don't think the rules allow for a retrospective punishment when the ref has already given a yellow card AND reviewed it on VAR.

• Like 1

Targett was serviceable when he had Grealish in front of him, as his only job was to defend, rarely getting beyond the halfway line and giving the ball to Grealish and letting him run with it. Now, he's expected to contribute something up the field, which we know is a weakness, as he has no pace and used to just turn back with us and he also doesn't have any defensive protection from Bailly, etc, again leaving him exposed and we know him to be a limited defender.

Last season when we beat them 4-3 we had a lot of joy down their left. Our first goal being from a free-kick that Targett gave away and our third coming from a new Poland international Cash handball (that was actually given), otherwise we'd have been through, as he was the only Aston Villa defender in the area, as both Mings and Konsa were dragged out wide, as Targett was caught up the field.

Hopefully more of the same on Friday. We did well to get £15m and Adams for him. Then they tried going cheap for JWP! 

11 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Targett was very good for Fulham, but also as it happens played with Sessegnon in front of him, which was his best period too. Seems like he doubles up well as a foil/support for a good winger, but struggles without that connection.

And also was in the Championship.

Targett hasn't just suddenly become crap over night, but there are a few things that are aiding his regression. 

Grealish going piles far more pressure on him to push forward and help create, which is a massive risk with his lack of pace. Their keeper Martinez has suddenly realised he's not quite top draw after one of the best 1st seasons at a club like Villa. Add to that the pressure of the crowds being back, and that is now having a massive impact on the performances. Dean Smith has done a exceptional job there, getting promoted and staying up against the odds (a bit of thanks to the faulty hawkeye system), and now that's seems to have gone by the wayside, as they bay for blood. Could they do better, yes, but boy could they do worse. The next game is crucial. Lets hope we can bid him a fond fairwell! 

😇

14 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I thought that he was suspended....🤔

Think a few crossed wires here.

Seen kerb crawling near Clifton Suspension Bridge. Apparently.

Good source: taxi driver from Temple Meads Station in Bristol today.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Villa - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic