Willy Caballero

SuperSAINT

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Where's the logic here? We won't trust our third choice keeper but an out of contract goalkeeper who wasn't good enough to be number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and on for ANY team is fine? 

I notice he dove out of the way of the first goal today, with no deflection. Brilliant.

Surely the logic is obvious.  Our 3rd keeper is around L2 level.  Yes, Cabellero was out of contract but last season and the ones before he was good enough to be back up keeper for City and Chelsea (had a period of being 1st choice at Chelsea) and played in the PL and CL.  Lewis is nowhere near this level.

The best strategy is obviously to try to find a young goalkeeper who's on a learning curve. In practice they may not be ready or just not turn out to be good enough (like Lewis), in which case you bring in a short term loan. But if they are good enough then you've saved some money. Bringing these players through isn't an exact science and sometimes players won't make the grade

51 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Surely the logic is obvious.  Our 3rd keeper is around L2 level.  Yes, Cabellero was out of contract but last season and the ones before he was good enough to be back up keeper for City and Chelsea (had a period of being 1st choice at Chelsea) and played in the PL and CL.  Lewis is nowhere near this level.

Cabellero didn't do too bad last night , he started to dive to cover the shot to the far post but Zaha got his foot round it and banged it in the near post . Apart from that he certainly saved a few . A few more games and he might look like we should keep him for the season !

1 hour ago, once_bitterne said:

What are you basing your opinion of Lewis on? You cannot seriously tell me that the best we can do as third choice is league two level? We must have literally the worst goalkeeping selection of any premier league side ever if that is the case.

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

What are you basing your opinion of Lewis on? You cannot seriously tell me that the best we can do as third choice is league two level? We must have literally the worst goalkeeping selection of any premier league side ever if that is the case.

From a wage perspective Lewis must be on a pittance compared to other first teamers. I'm sure we could have signed caballero instead of him as third choice but it would have cost us much more in wages for a player we didn't expect to ever have to grace the field.

I thought Caballero did okay last night. I wouldn't blame him personally for the first goal, it was basically a one vs one against a very capable player, once the defence allowed Zaha in. And comments about him improving on the Arsenal game - well, what do you expect? Anyone who has any experience of the real game knows that you cannot reproduce match fitness, no matter how much training you do. If he gets another game, we may well see a further improvement!

"Former Chelsea and Manchester City goalkeeper Willy Caballero is set to land a permanent contract at Southampton.

The Argentine put pen to paper on a deal until only January 5, by which time injured duo Alex McCarthy and Fraser Forster are both expected to be back fit and ready to play in the Premier League.

"It would make sense for us to keep him and we have this in our mind to extend his contract. I am sure he will help us long term.

"There is a big chance he stays with us."

"He is absolutely a good guy, it also shows on the pitch that he can help us" 

"He's played two games and, especially against Palace, you can feel that he is getting better with every game, more confident. This is what you need when you step in as a new goalkeeper."

12 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

"Former Chelsea and Manchester City goalkeeper Willy Caballero is set to land a permanent contract at Southampton.

The Argentine put pen to paper on a deal until only January 5, by which time injured duo Alex McCarthy and Fraser Forster are both expected to be back fit and ready to play in the Premier League.

"It would make sense for us to keep him and we have this in our mind to extend his contract. I am sure he will help us long term.

"There is a big chance he stays with us."

"He is absolutely a good guy, it also shows on the pitch that he can help us" 

"He's played two games and, especially against Palace, you can feel that he is getting better with every game, more confident. This is what you need when you step in as a new goalkeeper."

Well guess were not interested in Henderson from manure or Johnstone from WBA.

29 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Well guess were not interested in Henderson from manure or Johnstone from WBA.

McCarthy has been stalling on signing a new contract. I wouldn't be surprised if we let him go and bring in a new keeper with Caballero as backup. 

4 hours ago, Danbert said:

McCarthy has been stalling on signing a new contract. I wouldn't be surprised if we let him go and bring in a new keeper with Caballero as backup. 

He's a nutcase if that's true. He won't get a better club than us at the current level he's playing at. Unless he knows he doesn't deserve to play for us and is being altruistic. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2021 at 10:42, Saint Garrett said:

Also, why would a club like us spend decent wages on a third choice keeper who will likely never play? On the off chance the first 2 get injured, you can pick up a stop gap either on an emergency loan or free transfer.

Willie C. is worth keeping - for the rest of this season.  He won't cost a fortune and his experience alone can be a bonus for the others on our books.

He's hardly on the same pay-grade as our two " regular "  keepers, and at 40 is most unlikely to be offered any sort of " longer-term " contract.

Harry Lewis hasn't had the opportunities to play first team football, and the fast-improving Jack Bycroft is still a bit young to move up.

With FF, AMc and HL  all out of contract next summer, this means we will most likely be losing at least one, if not two  of them, and end up

bringing in a new face after the summer. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Glad to see Forster back in today, hoping he puts in a stellar performance and is back as number 1. 

I'd prefer him not to be needed to make any saves at all in a comfortable victory. A stellar performance from our keeper suggests something is going wrong in the game for us. 😉

Edited by Matthew Le God

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Willy Caballero - Official: Contract until End of Season
56 minutes ago, DT said:

Given the way Ralph has treated Fraser, I reckon it will be him (sadly)

It's utterly bizarre isn't it, he's clearly the better keeper and always performs as such. Can't even argue he prefers McCarthy for his kicking as Forster's kicking has been much better this last few games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's utterly bizarre isn't it, he's clearly the better keeper and always performs as such. Can't even argue he prefers McCarthy for his kicking as Forster's kicking has been much better this last few games.

Not really in one sense, McCarthy has (supposedly) agreed a new deal to stay, Forster hasn't and will leave at the end of the season. I think someone described it a while ago on here as giving a promotion to someone who was working their notice whilst leaving a loyal employee who was staying to kick their heels. Although there is no doubt Forster is the better keeper.

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

well, he's clearly not the better keeper, I think most prefer McCarthy, as you say, inc RH. I'm not suggesting Macca is amazing, but I'd have him any day of FF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Not really in one sense, McCarthy has (supposedly) agreed a new deal to stay, Forster hasn't and will leave at the end of the season. I think someone described it a while ago on here as giving a promotion to someone who was working their notice whilst leaving a loyal employee who was staying to kick their heels. Although there is no doubt Forster is the better keeper.

how is there 'no doubt'?

Just now, Noodles34 said:

well, he's clearly not the better keeper, I think most prefer McCarthy, as you say, inc RH. I'm not suggesting Macca is amazing, but I'd have him any day of FF

Really? I'd prefer Forster, McCarthy is exactly like Jack Stephens, comes into the side and does well for a handful of games then reverts back to the error prone player making big mistakes he usually is.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Really? I'd prefer Forster, McCarthy is exactly like Jack Stephens, comes into the side and does well for a handful of games then reverts back to the error prone player making big mistakes he usually is.

I'll admit, there really isn't much in it, I think we would agree that a better keeper than both of them would be desirable. It would be good to have a definitive poll on here on to see if I am right, and more punters prefer Macca?  Who could do that? Simple choice, FF or AM, no other options. 

1 minute ago, Noodles34 said:

I'll admit, there really isn't much in it, I think we would agree that a better keeper than both of them would be desirable. It would be good to have a definitive poll on here on to see if I am right, and more punters prefer Macca?  Who could do that? Simple choice, FF or AM, no other options. 

Personally i think they're both pretty crap and wouldn't get in other premier league team, but Forster is a bit more consistent. As i mentioned above, McCarthy does well for about 5-6 games then goes back to making mistakes week after week, Forster isn't as good when both on top form but more consistent, IMO of course 🙂

Definitely need an upgrade there is summer, even a competent premier league keeper would be a big improvement. I dont want us messing around trying to bring in a young one with potential either, we need to bring in someone who can make a difference straight away, a decent keeper is the difference between a relegation battle and midtable for a club like us.

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Personally i think they're both pretty crap and wouldn't get in other premier league team, but Forster is a bit more consistent. As i mentioned above, McCarthy does well for about 5-6 games then goes back to making mistakes week after week, Forster isn't as good when both on top form but more consistent, IMO of course 🙂

Definitely need an upgrade there is summer, even a competent premier league keeper would be a big improvement. I dont want us messing around trying to bring in a young one with potential either, we need to bring in someone who can make a difference straight away, a decent keeper is the difference between a relegation battle and midtable for a club like us.

I'd rather let them both go as well, and my point was that we shouldn't be picking McCarthy purely because he's the one willing to stay. Forster would win us more points over the course of the season of that I have no doubt.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Whereas Forster gets better in many supporters eyes with each game he doesn't play. (Probably on the back of what you've described about McCarthy).

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Whereas Forster gets better in many supporters eyes with each game he doesn't play. (Probably on the back of what you've described about McCarthy).

That is true of this forum, however he is yet to achieve the status of the legendary Jankowitz.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Good news, i like him. Good back up, maybe one of our two first choice off? 

Possibly...

Saints will sign Johnstone in this window, but allow him to stay at WBA until the summer to help them get promoted. 

In the interim. McCarthy ain't coming back from injury soon, so Willy is needed to provide cover for Forster.

In the summer, Forster departs, as previously has been indicated, and McCarthy stays - the Athletic perhaps are correct that he has already signed a contract - and he and Johnstone fight it out for the number 1 shirt. Willy departs/retires.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd rather let them both go as well, and my point was that we shouldn't be picking McCarthy purely because he's the one willing to stay. Forster would win us more points over the course of the season of that I have no doubt.

pick your best performing player while you have them, be that loanee or even guy that will be leaving in the summer. Having said that, if you are safe at the end of the season, giving a youngster game time works (all be it the £2m per place might be worth fighting for) especially if the senior player is fucking off, like Bertrand was.

If, though, Forster has said no to a contract, and McCarthy hasn't decided, maybe you pick McCarthy to encourage him to sign. However, like you and others have said, is McCarthy really going to get a better deal? Also, if McCarthy can't even take the shirt from Forster, then he cant be very good, so why offer him a contact.

I'm not a big fan of either. I also don't think they are as woeful as other suggest. As aways, the question is, can we sign better? Is Johnstone actually better than both of these guys? 

28 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I just don’t get why the club hasn’t announced McCarthy’s extension if he supposedly has signed one?

What benefit is there to delaying the announcement? Or have the sources just got it entirely wrong?

bloody weird for a paper to announce a contract signing that hasn't happened too. Was it meant to be secret so as to not affect Forster's state of mind? I really don't understand it either.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Possibly...

Saints will sign Johnstone in this window, but allow him to stay at WBA until the summer to help them get promoted. 

In the interim. McCarthy ain't coming back from injury soon, so Willy is needed to provide cover for Forster.

In the summer, Forster departs, as previously has been indicated, and McCarthy stays - the Athletic perhaps are correct that he has already signed a contract - and he and Johnstone fight it out for the number 1 shirt. Willy departs/retires.

I thought we might sign Johnstone this window and send either Forster or McCarthy there until the end of the season, win win, gets them off our books and a chance to earn a deal at WBA, plus they get a try before you buy, or this case offer a contract, type deal.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I thought we might sign Johnstone this window and send either Forster or McCarthy there until the end of the season, win win, gets them off our books and a chance to earn a deal at WBA, plus they get a try before you buy, or this case offer a contract, type deal.

decent enough idea, but swap deals are notoriously hard. I am also guessing that Forster will be moving to another Prem side, maybe even as back up, perhaps one of those mega deals Chelsea give for a third choice keeper? So he won't want to drop down a division, which might make people think thats his level.

Edited by Chez

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

decent enough idea, but swap deals are notoriously hard. I am also guessing that Forster will be moving to another Prem side, maybe even as back up, perhaps one of those mega deals Chelsea give for a third choice keeper? So he won't want to drop down a division, which might make people think thats his level.

Bit easier as all 3 of them are out of contract in 6 months though and not looking to sign new ones (Assuming McCarthy hasn't). That was my thinking anyway.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

bloody weird for a paper to announce a contract signing that hasn't happened too. Was it meant to be secret so as to not affect Forster's state of mind? I really don't understand it either.

Probably the PR team was busy and just never got around to it?

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Bit easier as all 3 of them are out of contract in 6 months though and not looking to sign new ones (Assuming McCarthy hasn't). That was my thinking anyway.

sure, but obviously now Forster has the gloves in a Prem side, boosting his profile and chance of a new Prem deal, he ain't going to swap that for 6 months at WBA. McCarty being injured means we can't loan him either. I think with Willy signed up, there wont be a keeper signed for this season. But I think Johnstone may be signed now for next season. We shall see. 

9 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Probably the PR team was busy and just never got around to it?

Hmm. They found time for Tella. Stephens is another that didnt get a press release. I guess we will find out in the summer.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Had a very good game today. Well done Willy!

Yep. Good save low down to his right in the first half to tip one around the post. Did well when Valery had a brainfart and then 2 excellent saves at the death before the offside goal.

Also he's probably in the top 3 keepers in the league for distribution.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Willy Caballero