Jump to content

Willy Caballero


SuperSAINT
 Share

Recommended Posts

"Willy Caballero set for Southampton medical tomorrow ahead of signing a short-term deal following injuries to Alex McCarthy and Fraser Forster.

The 40-year-old Argentine has been training with AFC Wimbledon to keep himself fit and key figures at the club acted quickly to wrap up a deal on Sunday.

Caballero was keen to join as soon as he heard about the opportunity and one of the key attractions for Southampton was that his style will fit into the club’s goalkeeping playbook."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

"Willy Caballero set for Southampton medical tomorrow ahead of signing a short-term deal following injuries to Alex McCarthy and Fraser Forster.

The 40-year-old Argentine has been training with AFC Wimbledon to keep himself fit and key figures at the club acted quickly to wrap up a deal on Sunday.

Caballero was keen to join as soon as he heard about the opportunity and one of the key attractions for Southampton was that his style will fit into the club’s goalkeeping playbook."

Has anyone got a copy of our goalkeeping playbook? 

Actually, has Ralph even asked our GKs to read it?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

That said, very happy with this, am I alone thinking he may actually be better than what we already have at the club?

Hope so.

Just hope he's fully fit and not too rusty needing a few weeks to get up to speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Good signing. Certainly no worse than what we’ve got, but almost likely better than what we’ve got.

Amazed to see he’s been training with AFC Wimbledon, how bizarre, out of all the places you could train!

Feel like we should delve into the free agent market more for players of experience.

I don't know where exactly they train but geographically, he's not far from Chelsea's Cobham training ground, where he'd been going to work for the last four years. He's been in England for a good while now, so unless he was particularly homesick it all makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Good signing. Certainly no worse than what we’ve got, but almost likely better than what we’ve got.

Amazed to see he’s been training with AFC Wimbledon, how bizarre, out of all the places you could train!

Feel like we should delve into the free agent market more for players of experience.

Given Caballero's age age maybe Kelvin will be filling the bench to avoid any generation gaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, egg said:

What's the purpose of us having Lewis around the place as 3rd choice if he's not going to play when the 1st and 2nd choice can't? Seems completely pointless. 

I would assume he was signed as one for the future, as a 17 year old, and is basically third choice by default.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I would assume he was signed as one for the future, as a 17 year old, and is basically third choice by default.

That must be right, but I have a feeling his contract was extended last summer. It seems his 3rd place duties are to fill the bench when we have nobody else, but never be trusted to actually play. Bizarre use of wages. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Jesus Wept. Must mean the other two are out for a decent time.

Good they have both been shocking fir a while now and for some reason the manager insists on playing the worst of the two!  Willy will have to be shocking to be worse!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I give it 20 minutes into the Arsenal game before he gets written off

 

7 hours ago, trousers said:

Fixed it for you (this is Saintsweb we're talking about here)

Yes but according to SaintsWeb rules, every single player that gets slagged off and written off at the beginning then goes on to prove absolutely everyone wrong because Sadio Mane or something. In recent years this process has become shorter and shorter, with Lycano possibly the shortest ever time from write off to comprehensively proving absolutely everyone wrong.

So I predict three days after the first "written off" the victory laps of "I told you so" will begin. Willy cannot fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, egg said:

What's the purpose of us having Lewis around the place as 3rd choice if he's not going to play when the 1st and 2nd choice can't? Seems completely pointless. 

It could be a Caceres/Stephens situation where we believe Harry Lewis is the new Peter Schmicheal so keep an obviously much better more experienced player on the bench to prove it. Remember We don’t buy success we breed it. 

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I would assume he was signed as one for the future, as a 17 year old, and is basically third choice by default.

He's now 23 and has played a full season on loan as first choice Dundee United, it's a huge show of no confidence that we're not willing to give him a go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He's now 23 and has played a full season on loan as first choice Dundee United, it's a huge show of no confidence that we're not willing to give him a go. 

Yeah, very odd.  What happened at Dundee?  To have a full season in the Scottish Championship at 19/20 years old is reasonably promising and then it just looks like he came back to Southampton to stagnate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Yeah, very odd.  What happened at Dundee?  To have a full season in the Scottish Championship at 19/20 years old is reasonably promising and then it just looks like he came back to Southampton to stagnate.

They finished 3rd conceding 42 goals in 36 games, but he only made 30 appearances so not sure how many he conceded. 

There is a video of him dealing with an awkward pass back in a pretty clever way, by pulling off a diving header at the feet of the attacker to pass it to a teammate. That's the extent of his existing highlights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

They finished 3rd conceding 42 goals in 36 games, but he only made 30 appearances so not sure how many he conceded. 

There is a video of him dealing with an awkward pass back in a pretty clever way, by pulling off a diving header at the feet of the attacker to pass it to a teammate. That's the extent of his existing highlights.

But has won more than any other player in our squad, probably all of the put together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

They finished 3rd conceding 42 goals in 36 games, but he only made 30 appearances so not sure how many he conceded. 

There is a video of him dealing with an awkward pass back in a pretty clever way, by pulling off a diving header at the feet of the attacker to pass it to a teammate. That's the extent of his existing highlights.

Just checked, 14 clean sheets in 30 appearances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Turkish said:

But has won more than any other player in our squad, probably all of the put together. 

I assume you mean Caballero, and I understand that. I'm not disappointed with his signing - he's a quality keeper, although it remains to be seen how he has aged - I just dont see the reasoning behind not using Lewis when he's not a youngster nor is he completely lacking in experience. If we aren't willing to give him games now for a few weeks, a month or two at most, we are never intending on him being in the first team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I assume you mean Caballero, and I understand that. I'm not disappointed with his signing - he's a quality keeper, although it remains to be seen how he has aged - I just dont see the reasoning behind not using Lewis when he's not a youngster nor is he completely lacking in experience. If we aren't willing to give him games now for a few weeks, a month or two at most, we are never intending on him being in the first team.

I agree with you but he will also be our only fit keeper so we’d need to bring one in. Will be interesting to see if he plays or not or as I said above it’s a Caceres situation with the young player being preferred over a clearly better and more experienced short term signing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I agree with you but he will also be our only fit keeper so we’d need to bring one in. Will be interesting to see if he plays or not or as I said above it’s a Caceres situation with the young player being preferred over a clearly better and more experienced short term signing.

They will not be playing Harry Lewis in front of Caballero 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I assume you mean Caballero, and I understand that. I'm not disappointed with his signing - he's a quality keeper, although it remains to be seen how he has aged - I just dont see the reasoning behind not using Lewis when he's not a youngster nor is he completely lacking in experience. If we aren't willing to give him games now for a few weeks, a month or two at most, we are never intending on him being in the first team.

Expect he's lacking in Premier League quality though. There's a huge gulf between the Scottish Championship and the Premier League.

I'm all for giving youngsters a chance but not Jan Poortvliet style where it's at the expense of our performances, they have to actually be good enough.

Tommy Forecast was also our 3rd choice/reserve goalie - doesn't mean there was any intention to ever play him in the Premier League. It looks like he stopped playing at 28 because he couldn't get game time at Chelmsford. While Lewis might be better than that he's clearly not considered Premier League quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, st alex said:

Expect he's lacking in Premier League quality though. There's a huge gulf between the Scottish Championship and the Premier League.

I'm all for giving youngsters a chance but not Jan Poortvliet style where it's at the expense of our performances, they have to actually be good enough.

Tommy Forecast was also our 3rd choice/reserve goalie - doesn't mean there was any intention to ever play him in the Premier League. It looks like he stopped playing at 28 because he couldn't get game time at Chelmsford. While Lewis might be better than that he's clearly not considered Premier League quality.

Well then why bother having a third choice keeper at all? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lighthouse changed the title to Willy Caballero

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})

{{comment