Willy Caballero

SuperSAINT

14 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

My favourite part is the bit where they are talking about how good a sweeper keeper he is, and the screenshot used is where Chelsea are 3-0 down away to relegation fodder West Brom after 30mins.

I see you've left that Israeli club, fancy coming back as the main man at Saints? 

21 hours ago, Mr X said:

willly be the oldest keeper that has played in the premier league?

No, these are all older than 40 year old Caballero...

John Burridge (43y, 162d)

Alec Chamberlain (42y, 327d)

Steve Ogrizovic (42y, 237d)

Brad Friedel (42y, 176d)

Mark Schwarzer (42y, 159d)

Neville Southall (41y, 178d)

Kevin Poole (41y, 164d)

Jens Lehmann (41y, 151d)

So if i say is Willy the biggest dick that has played in goal in the Premier League? Will MLG come back with a list like this....

Shaka Hislop 12.3"

Edwin Van der Saar 12.2"

Tim Flowers (Blackburn) 12.1"

Tim Howard 11.9"

Cassey Keller 11.9"

Tim Flowers (Southampton) 11.8" *

Artur Boruc 11.7" (but very large balls)

*pre accident nature undisclosed

• Haha 3

It says that Willy Caballero was training with Wimbledon. If he was any good wouldn't Wimbledon have signed him? But obviously I hope he is a major success.

Over the years I remember Saints using Jim Montgomery, Kasey Keller & Richard Wright when our other goalkeepers were injured. There's probably more but these three are the ones I remember.

Montgomery in 1976 for 5 games.

Keller in 2004 for 4 games.

Wright in 2008 for 7 games.

1 hour ago, St David 46 said:

It says that Willy Caballero was training with Wimbledon. If he was any good wouldn't Wimbledon have signed him? But obviously I hope he is a major success.

He was training at Wimbledon to keep fit should a top flight team need to sign him. Wimbledon would not be able to get remotely close to his wage demands. He'll earn more in a month at Saints than he would for a season at Wimbledon. Had he signed for Wimbledon this season he'd be forfeiting the chance to play for Saints or another side capable of giving a big wage short term deal. Even at 40 years old, his quality level is significantly above a bottom half League One team.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Thank fuck we didn't risk playing Harry Lewis eh.

Boy am I glad we signed Caballero, it's great to have such a steady pair of hands for the next month.

Imagine if we'd stuck with a player who has trained regularly with our team for the last few years instead of signing a 40 year old player who has trained with AFC Wimbledon and probably isn't anywhere near match sharpness and won't be for longer than the month contract we've given him? It doesn't bare thinking about! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Boy am I glad we signed Caballero, it's great to have such a steady pair of hands for the next month.

Imagine if we'd stuck with a player who has trained regularly with our team for the last few years instead of signing a 40 year old player who has trained with AFC Wimbledon and probably isn't anywhere near match sharpness and won't be for longer than the month contract we've given him? It doesn't bare thinking about! 

I’ve not watched the reserves but by most accounts Lewis is nowhere near being a Premier League player. I’ve no idea why people expected or even hoped Willy would walk in and immediately be better than McCarthy. He’s a one month emergency stop gap, there’s a reason he’s without a club.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I’ve not watched the reserves but by most accounts Lewis is nowhere near being a Premier League player. I’ve no idea why people expected or even hoped Willy would walk in and immediately be better than McCarthy. He’s a one month emergency stop gap, there’s a reason he’s without a club.

So shit player who has been training at a prem club and knows the team and style of play versus shit player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Don't think Lewis has played for the Reserves, at least not much, he has been in the first team squad, presumably because he was considered good enough for the first team if push came to shove. If not why the fuck have we employed him the last few years. I really don't understand the way things are run these days at Saints. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Have they stated what the injuury is ?

No. From the injury thread you'd assume it's minor but who knows "Ralph Hasenhuttl says Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy will be out for “3-4 weeks” with a hamstring injury & that this weekend is “too soon” for Fraser Forster to return from his setback"(dan Sheldon)

On 07/12/2021 at 12:10, Saint86 said:

Are people actually excited about us having a 40year goalkeeper who is without a club and has been training for AFC Wimbledon? 🤔

Fortunately wasn't able to follow the car crash today... However from them snippets I've gleamed, the tone of this post doesn't seem to have been far wide of the mark... 🤣

11 hours ago, northam soul said:

Let’s be honest, the reason we lost again was not because of who was in goal.

You can jump on the keeper is shit bandwagon all you want but it’s the utter dogshit defending and woeful lack of quality going forward that lost that game.

So apart from the defending and the attacking we were pretty good? At least that gives us something to build on.

21 hours ago, Badger said:

Have they stated what the injuury is ?

It's a hip injury. Tried training during the week but hip was still too sore.

Expect Willy to play again on Wed but hope FF will be back by the weekend, or sooner. Willy was pretty wank yesterday. Come on FF, get fit!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, northam soul said:

Let’s be honest, the reason we lost again was not because of who was in goal.

You can jump on the keeper is shit bandwagon all you want but it’s the utter dogshit defending and woeful lack of quality going forward that lost that game.

No one player is 100% at fault for the loss. Our CB pairing was criminal and atleast partly at fault for all three goals, Diallo was dire, misplacing everything, Broja was anonymous in attack and his pressing is nowhere near the quality we need, our attacking mids don't make enough, etc.

In my opinion though, Willy was our worst player and the largest individual contribution to our defeat. The 3rd goal was entirely on him, and the second a good keeper claims. He also could have been at fault for two more, one from a dreadful missed punch which Gabriel was luckily marginally offside and one from a shanked clearance which led to a chance Saka put right at him luckily.

McCarthy is a very poor shot stopper but he claims the ball well and has a decent command of his box (Although not perfect, see Richarlisons goal earlier in the season), Willy had absolutely 0 control over his box and claimed basically nothing.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

He's a good shot stopper but doesn't have good command of his box.

I disagree, I think he quite often claims crosses very well. However, even if you consider his last three games before the brighton game which he played a large chunk of injured:

Leicester: First goal, straight at him, parried straight back into danger. A good shot stopper puts that round the post. Second goal, beaten at his near post, absolutely not good enough for a prem quality keeper

Liverpool: 4th goal, pretty much straight at him and squirmed through. Wouldn't normally criticise as it was hit hard but quite often shots seem to squirm through him (like Greenwoods one earlier in the season)

Norwich: 1st goal, dreadful, near post again. That's goalkeeping 101. Even worse than the Maddison one as the header wasn't even that powerful. 2nd goal, again, has to do better, the header was very close to him and missed it. Awful.

Statistically speaking, McCarthy was one of the worst shot stoppers in the league last season and this season is well below average too.

The 1st Arsenal goal (which ultimately swung the game and won it for them) was simply a superbly worked goal, you know sometimes it happens and a goal is scored because of excellent [play and not because anyone (at least in defence) has made a mistake. Second and third granted defensive/keeper howlers, but i don't think they cost us the game ultimately. We also had some excellent chances and Ramsdale made a number of very good saves (MOTD analysis focused on what a superb game he had).  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

The 1st Arsenal goal (which ultimately swung the game and won it for them) was simply a superbly worked goal, you know sometimes it happens and a goal is scored because of excellent [play and not because anyone (at least in defence) has made a mistake. Second and third granted defensive/keeper howlers, but i don't think they cost us the game ultimately. We also had some excellent chances and Ramsdale made a number of very good saves (MOTD analysis focused on what a superb game he had).  

Ramsdale has been the best keeper in the league this season imo. Has proven so so many wrong.

22 minutes ago, Badger said:

Especially on here

Myself included. I was complimenting Arsenals business (White, Tomiyasu and Odegaard are great players for building for the future) but even I was a bit down on Ramsdale as a signing. In hindsight, looks like Arsenal had a fantastic window. Ofcourse they need about 4 more like this to get anywhere near the likes of Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool but it's a great start.

16 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Arsenal could and should have scored more. Even aside from their 3 goals they created far better chances than we did. We were lucky this was not a 6-0 thrashing.

On 13/12/2021 at 15:05, Saint_clark said:

What's the point in having a reserves? What are they "in reserve" for!?

Presumably for a number of players over the course of a season the reserves/B team/U23s (whatever they're called) is useful to have. To build back fitness when coming back from injury and for fringe first team players and up and coming youngsters to maintain fitness and match sharpness and push for the first team. I'd imagine some of the players would challenge for the first team whereas others will be there to make up the numbers. 

Would have thought the likes of Ward-Prowse and Tella would have had a spell in the reserves before progressing to the first team.

7 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

3rd choice keepers are never expected to start a PL match, I'm not sure why people find that hard to accept.

Where's the logic here? We won't trust our third choice keeper but an out of contract goalkeeper who wasn't good enough to be number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and on for ANY team is fine? 

I notice he dove out of the way of the first goal today, with no deflection. Brilliant.

Edited by Saint_clark

I’m with St Clark on this. What on earth is the point in having a 3rd choice keeper you have absolutely no intention of playing. We’re utterly brassic, that keeper is never going to progress, so if you want somebody you’re never going to play, that might as well be a nipper. Caballero decent tonight - but he really isn’t better than Forster or McCarthy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hodgey said:

I’m with St Clark on this. What on earth is the point in having a 3rd choice keeper you have absolutely no intention of playing. We’re utterly brassic, that keeper is never going to progress, so if you want somebody you’re never going to play, that might as well be a nipper. Caballero decent tonight - but he really isn’t better than Forster or McCarthy. 

So clubs should either only ever have 2 goalkeepers, or they should have a 3rd choice goalie who is good enough to start a run of games in the PL? 

You realise if a keeper were any good he'd be unlikely to want to be 3rd choice?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Willy Caballero