Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Couldn’t make this one.  Anyone know if it’s being televised?

Hope Ralph plays a strong side - can’t imagine he’ll not.

It's not on terrestrial TV (cos nobody gives a shit about a cup tie between a mid-table PL team and a mid-table Champ team).

Unsure if there will be any streams either, cos the game would have to be televised somewhere in the world for there to be any, so I doubt it.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

Is anyone else yet to receive their tickets in the post? I ordered 5 on the 26th Jan, and usually the club send them pretty quickly and I receive them a few days after placing the order. Maybe overly worrying, but Saturday is fast approaching :) 
Really looking forward to this one, feels like a classic cup tie!

I printed mine off at home, but at my local sorting office there have been huge delays to some of my post. The size of the crowd may mean delays to posting, but I doubt it as 5k were presumably sent in bulk to Coventry. Could you retrospectively get them printed off at home as picking them up on the day will be a right pain if they don't arrive tomorrow?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

After having problems with posted tickets I have gone for the print at home option. Do you need to print them or can you use your phone instead?

I just called the ticket office and they said they were posted on 27th Jan, so clearly lost in post.
The kid at the end of the line could hardly string a sentence together (sorry, but so frustrating in a customer service role) and after finding it the most complex request ever, he did allow me to log-in and print them, so all sorted.

• Like 1

My prediction:

4-1

I think we'll play a largely full strength team, it's been two weeks since we last played so this can be used as an opportunity to string the team back together and generate a positive outlook and consistency for the coming week.
But that would be the counter argument is that we have two big games coming up (Spurs midweek and Man United next weekend), RH may choose to ring the changes. But albeit we aren't favourites, we do like a fight against the so-called bigger sides.

It wouldn't surprise me if he had two teams in mind for the quick consecutive games, much like we did over Christmas week.

Forster;
Walker-Peters, Stephens, Bednarek, Perraud;
Redmond, Ward-Prowse, Diallo, S. Armstrong;
A. Armstrong, Adams

I fancy Adam Armstrong to score a couple. 🙂

9 hours ago, bpsaint said:

There’s a few tickets available on the website if anyone lucked out

Cheers a mate of mine just got a couple, a few still on there, bit odd not sure if people returning tickets, have to go a long way round on the website to find them 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 16:00, Saint Garrett said:

Great stuff that it's a sell out. They're no mugs.  Expecting a completely different atmosphere to usual in the Kingsland North.

Feels like we haven't played for months. Wouldn't change much.

Forster; KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud; Diallo JWP; Tella Adams Armstrong Armstrong

Got a feeling Djenepo and Livramento will play, Tella injured and Stu Armstrong never seems to play 3 games in a week so if he plays this will sit out Spurs back for Man Utd,  their centre forward Gyokeres looks physical , Stephens and Salisu won't mind that probably not Lyanco after watching him against McBurnie 

2 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Coventry's third round game last month:

Coventry 1 Derby 0

Attendance: 8,896

If not for the visting Derby fans, the stadium would have been almost deserted:

FA Cup highlights: Coventry City 1-0 Derby County - BBC Sport

They'll have 5,100 excitable fans at St Mary's this weekend, that's probably about the same number of fans they had for that home cup game with Derby...but no doubt a few daytrippers tomorrow.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, millsy said:

Lots of seats now available in Block 17 if anyone still needs one.

How strange is that , block of about 75 seats suddenly available night before the match, makes you wonder why they were held back 

59 minutes ago, JRM said:

How strange is that , block of about 75 seats suddenly available night before the match, makes you wonder why they were held back 

Corporate freebies or friends & family tickets I guess. Club have probably tried to get definite answers on whether people will be attending so they can sell them instead such is the demand.

Forster

Valery   Stephens   Bednarek  Small

Armstrong   Diallo     JWP      Tella

Armstrong  Adams

I know we've had two weeks off but we've Spurs and United within a matter of days so wouldnt risk the likes of Salisu, KWP, Perraud, Romeu, Redmond and Broja. Tino is only just back to training also. 

Shows how much better our squad  depth is compared to last season

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Forster

Valery   Stephens   Bednarek  Small

Armstrong   Diallo     JWP      Tella

Armstrong  Adams

I know we've had two weeks off but we've Spurs and United within a matter of days so wouldnt risk the likes of Salisu, KWP, Perraud, Romeu, Redmond and Broja. Tino is only just back to training also. 

Shows how much better our squad  depth is compared to last season

Think Ralph said tella is unavailable along with McCarthy 

Fairly strong please - we certainly need Nathan "Plays like Messi against Championship opponents" Redmond in there. Coventry aren't bad and we don't want to see an upset - not to mention one "big" club has already exited the competition. I wonder if we'll give Caballero a start? So my predicted line up based on nothing would be:

Caballero

KWP

Stephens

Bednarek

Perraud

JWP

Diallo

Redmond

SArmstrong

AArmstrong

Adams.

Rests one of our spine (Salisu, Romeu, Broja who can be benched) but keeps the team strong. A couple of youngsters on the bench too.

Addendum - Just realised this team bar the keeper is the same as @FarehamSaintJamesabove. I suppose it depends how strong Ralph wants to go, but he usually takes cups seriously.

• Like 2

I can’t wait. My first time back at St Marys since, well, I can’t remember actually how long before covid I last went. Hoping the trains don’t let me down for my travel back to east Hampshire later, but sod it, that’s what taxis are for. More important to celebrate with a curry tonight with mates in Southampton. 

Im predicting a return to our traditional League One and Championship scoreline of 3-1. 

Edited by Behind Enemy Lines
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

I can’t wait. My first time back at St Marys since, well, I can’t remember actually how long before covid I last went. Hoping the trains don’t let me down for my travel back to east Hampshire later, but sod it, that’s what taxis are for. More important to celebrate with a curry tonight with mates in Southampton. 

Im predicting a return to our traditional League One and Championship scoreline of 3-1. 

👍

19 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

They'll have 5,100 excitable fans at St Mary's this weekend, that's probably about the same number of fans they had for that home cup game with Derby...but no doubt a few daytrippers tomorrow.

Day out on the sunny South coast, what's not to like? Might have to change plans on which pub to go to, as it might all be a little busy..

20 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

They’ve got a lot more than 5,100 coming down by the sounds of it.

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

They’ve got a lot more than 5,100 coming down by the sounds of it.

Officially they've got 5,100 - depending on how relaxed the club were about General Sale (usually you have to be on the data base) then some may very well have bought seats in the home areas and I'm sure a few exiled in this region will know someone who could source them a ticket. Some will just travel without tickets in the hope of picking one up or just enjoy a good day out on the lash. You always get talk of "hundreds in the home end" on this sort of occasion but rarely turns out that way in reality.

But that goes out the window if the club really were selling to anybody - and will then only have themselves to blame if it does kick-off inside the stadium.

Edit: Just had a look on one of their forums and someone claiming to know Thierry Small's dad and suggesting he starts today.

https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/southampton-fa-cup-match-thread.140438/page-4

Edited by alehouseboys
(possible) team news on Cov forum

11 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Officially they've got 5,100 - depending on how relaxed the club were about General Sale (usually you have to be on the data base) then some may very well have bought seats in the home areas and I'm sure a few exiled in this region will know someone who could source them a ticket. Some will just travel without tickets in the hope of picking one up or just enjoy a good day out on the lash. You always get talk of "hundreds in the home end" on this sort of occasion but rarely turns out that way in reality.

But that goes out the window if the club really were selling to anybody - and will then only have themselves to blame if it does kick-off inside the stadium.

Very true. I was a little surprised to see it sell out as quickly as it did so I wouldn’t be overly surprised.

Just disappointed I’ll likely be sat down wherever I am in the Itchen!

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Fairly strong please - we certainly need Nathan "Plays like Messi against Championship opponents" Redmond in there. Coventry aren't bad and we don't want to see an upset - not to mention one "big" club has already exited the competition. I wonder if we'll give Caballero a start? So my predicted line up based on nothing would be:

Caballero

KWP

Stephens

Bednarek

Perraud

JWP

Diallo

Redmond

SArmstrong

AArmstrong

Adams.

Rests one of our spine (Salisu, Romeu, Broja who can be benched) but keeps the team strong. A couple of youngsters on the bench too.

Addendum - Just realised this team bar the keeper is the same as @FarehamSaintJamesabove. I suppose it depends how strong Ralph wants to go, but he usually takes cups seriously.

This would be my lineup too apart from also us resting KWP, Perraud, Stuart Armstrong and Forster. I would like to see Valery and Thierry Small start at fullback, Theo and Moussa in the two number 10 positions and Adam Armstrong and Long upfront. I'm going for a comfortable 3-0 win to us with Adam Armstrong, Prowsey and Theo scoring :) COYR :)

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic