Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

7 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

I don't believe we're in for Colwill, Unless we're going to change to 5 at the back. 

Think it's more about getting better players in than counting those able to play certain positions?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bennyev said:

Because all three clubs are better than us. And are all moving in an upward trajectory. 

Didn't Tino choose us over Brighton last summer? No reason we can't beat those 3 to another youngster, if we're actually in for him.

15 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So you are saying we dont need more or replace Bednarek?

Have you forgotten the 5 subs rule?

Can’t see us getting another CB unless there’s more departures.

Weve got 5 as it stands, if Bednarek leaves we’ve still got 4. Would need a Lyanco or Stephens to leave for that to happen.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That’s three clubs he would join ahead of us 😅

The lad and family originally lived in Southampton prior to Chelski buying them a house and moving them up to Cobham.  He might want to return to his home town club and plus he will know Tino etc

5 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Weve got 5 as it stands, if Bednarek leaves we’ve still got 4. Would need a Lyanco or Stephens to leave for that to happen.

Plus Valery I guess but I can see a couple going too if we need to progress we need better.

18 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I'd happily see Lyanco and Stephens both leave if it meant bringing in Colwill 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I wish we were Palace/Brighton/Leicester.....😔

Well Brighton and Palace certainly looking to be on an upward curve last season - we'll see how it goes this coming season for them.

Definitely wouldn't mind trading places with Leicester though. Yes, they had a poor season by their outstanding recent history, but they have been a shining light and everything we should be looking to emulate. Can't knock them at all.

• Like 2

I'll gladly take Levi Colwill if offered the chance, we're going for every other teenager so why not go for another 😂

But of those teams listed above that are in for him, all are in much better positions than us. The only pulling point could be the Tino link.

Bella-Kotchap will not be Bednarek's replacement, I still anticipate us bringing in another player or two defensively, one CB and another full-back.
Stephens may have signed his contract, like McCarthy, well before the takeover. And now that's gone through there is a little more manoeuvrability for transfers, so it could be he is near the bottom of the pecking order again as we try and bring in better players.

Lyanco - I could take or leave him. I think he is a little overhyped. I like his enthusiasm but positing the odd Insta pic of him smacking his chest and calling himself the gorilla or whatever does not make him any better in ability. I found it odd when we signed him last summer and cannot see him being sold this quickly, so we're stuck with him. Decent enough, but not long term quality.

In terms of other areas of the team; I'll drive McCarthy, Walcott and Djenepo anywhere they want free of charge, so long as they promise not to return. 🤣 Realistically I think the latter two will be loaned out for their final season of contract. Yan Valery too on that note.

I see us maybe bringing in another five or six players. A FB, a CB, a CM, two AM's (No. 10's/Wingers - whatever RH calls them), and a ST.

I think Liam Delap (Man City) will be the striker we bring in on loan.

And next season it wouldn't surprise me if we played five across midfield and went one up top, which I think everyone will agree that extra body in midfield we were crying out for at time last season.

44 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I wouldn't be happy to see Lyanco leave. Stephens is over the hill anyway and we should ship him out 

Agreed. Although Lyanco has a mistake in him, Stephens has two or three per game. Would suit high flying Championship team. Lyanco should be reserve CB if we don't bring in another

3 hours ago, bennyev said:

Because all three clubs are better than us. And are all moving in an upward trajectory. 

IMO none of those sides are better than us at developing players and giving them a pathway to first team football. He only has to look to Tino for that. Which seems to be his main concern, I mean if he wants to play for a better side then he stays at Chelsea. 

Most likely is he'll stay at Chelsea as they currently only have 3 first team centre-backs, one of whom is 37 and often play 3 at the back. Losing Christensen and Rudiger gives him a pretty decent pathway into the first team. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Josh Brownhill from Burnley?
image.png.3dac0277e68c212fd058ec1dc581aa26.png

Loved him at Bristol City (part-time fan!) and was gutted when he went to Burnley, he's so much better than their anti-football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

IMO none of those sides are better than us at developing players and giving them a pathway to first team football. He only has to look to Tino for that. Which seems to be his main concern, I mean if he wants to play for a better side then he stays at Chelsea. 

Most likely is he'll stay at Chelsea as they currently only have 3 first team centre-backs, one of whom is 37 and often play 3 at the back. Losing Christensen and Rudiger gives him a pretty decent pathway into the first team. 

My concern with this is that he seemingly wants guarantees of game time, and I would be very wary of making a 19yo a first choice CB, regardless of how good he might be.

53 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

My concern with this is that he seemingly wants guarantees of game time, and I would be very wary of making a 19yo a first choice CB, regardless of how good he might be.

We have already signed a 20 yo defender, if this happens, once Tino is back, we could play a defence whose average age is less than 22.

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Josh Brownhill from Burnley?
image.png.3dac0277e68c212fd058ec1dc581aa26.png

So we've been linked with or some people would like us to sign: Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, Brownhill, Dwight McNeil and Cornet.  It's a wonder they ever got relegated.  Has someone mentioned Sean Dyche as a replacement for Ralph?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Why not sell him?  Don’t think he’ll make the grade here.

Several clubs interested could push his value up as well.

He's had the odd good game but then had that bad injury. He played well for ROI U21s recently so has something about him. A loan yes but I'd keep him longer term.

Mind you the squad will soon start to look a bit thin up top if players leave so hopefully we bring a few more players in soon.

15 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

So we've been linked with or some people would like us to sign: Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, Brownhill, Dwight McNeil and Cornet.  It's a wonder they ever got relegated.  Has someone mentioned Sean Dyche as a replacement for Ralph?

From that list, I would say they would all probably walk into our first team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

From that list, I would say they would all probably walk into our first team.

So six players, more than half a team, who’ve just been relegated would walk into our team but Ralph is doing a terrible job?

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I agree with you, and a quick check to their forum thought the same thing. 

Brownhill wouldn't be a bad 4th choice CM I don't think, but is that really what we want? If it's cheap and we're accepting Romeu as first choice, then I guess it wouldn't be the worst.

20 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

We stayed up thanks to a fluke win over Arsenal and JWP free kicks, so yes, some of that bunch would make us a much stronger team. I’d draw the line at Dyche, but that doesn’t make the case for Ralph 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We stayed up thanks to a fluke win over Arsenal and JWP free kicks, so yes, some of that bunch would make us a much stronger team. I’d draw the line at Dyche, but that doesn’t make the case for Ralph 

Yeah, I fucking hate it when teams stay up just because they scored more goals, or won more games than the relegated teams.  Makes a mockery of the game we all love.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

#SaintsSummerLinkedStrikerWatch

Just shows that unless we go beyond our £15m barrier there is very little chance of buying more than just potential in England.

Even abroad, when you consider we signed players like Tadic, Pelle, Wanyama, even Clasie who despite being unsuited to the PL was Feyenoord captain, Vestergaard who were all fairly established players and key for their clubs - for what we pay we wouldn't get near signing players like that now as the prices have all gone up, especially for the attacking players.

Edited by Dusic

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Just shows that unless we go beyond our £15m barrier there is very little chance of buying more than just potential in England.

Even abroad, when you consider we signed players like Tadic, Pelle, Wanyama, even Clasie who despite being unsuited to the PL was Feyenoord captain, Vestergaard who were all fairly established players and key for their clubs - for what we pay we wouldn't get near signing players like that now as the prices have all gone up, especially for the attacking players.

We paid 19m for Carrillo 

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Broadly I agree with you but I think these owners will be prepared to break Ings record £20m fee this summer for the lead striker, perhaps less for the second striker. They seemed to be prepared to for Broja before things went off the boil. There needs to be outgoings as well now players are coming off holidays eg Bednarek been on Poland duty, Redmond, Moi, possibly Diallo, AA. Theo if an MLS club think he can do a job as a designated player. 

• Like 1