Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

To be fair SR have ticked the boxes we needed ticking - goalkeeper, central defender, central midfielder, attacking midfielder, striker(s)…..…just need cover at full back to go with this second striker. 

Now if we could lose some of the dead wood to enable them to bring a couple more in…..but that’s being greedy.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

To be fair SR have ticked the boxes we needed ticking - goalkeeper, central defender, central midfielder, attacking midfielder, striker(s)…..…just need cover at full back to go with this second striker. 

Now if we could lose some of the dead wood to enable them to bring a couple more in…..but that’s being greedy.

I wonder to what extent losing the deadwood is part of the SR thinking. I’m guessing they aren’t expecting too much income from any of the players we might be happy to lose, and we will be lucky to move most of them on considering their current wages. Therefore I can see a lot of loan deals or wage assisted deals, or possibly cancelled contracts, just to get the squad size down. Equally, most of these players might prefer to sit out their contracts with us, rather than take an almost inevitable drop in league status, depending on their age and ambition. 

Apart from the obvious first team squad we see mentioned as potential leavers, how many younger players, who were on loan last season, are in similar situations? Ramsey, Vokins, etc…… Not seen mention of them at all, and not aware any of them went on the Austrian tour, though I might be mistaken.

• Like 1

If the report in the daily star is true about the new offer for Delap being rejected then it does show we have the funds in place to spend big on a striker. Personally would love us to go and get Cornet and Dembele and for both combined would be for just under £30m.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

If the report in the daily star is true about the new offer for Delap being rejected then it does show we have the funds in place to spend big on a striker. Personally would love us to go and get Cornet and Dembele and for both combined would be for just under £30m.

Plus their salaries.

9 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

It isn't being reported as £30m now for Delap by the Daily Star. It is £20m with a further £10m in extras to be paid if conditions are met in the future. So that isn't the same as being able to then spend £30m on Cornet and Dembele, plus their combined wages would be huge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't being reported as £30m now for Delap by the Daily Star. It is £20m with a further £10m in extras to be paid if conditions are met in the future. So that isn't the same as being able to then spend £30m on Cornet and Dembele, plus their combined wages would be huge.

Yes MLG your correct the deal would have been structured for Delap. 

21 hours ago, Chez said:

he looks pretty slow. That doesn't mean he won't be effective. He certainly hits a decent ball. But Broja's combined pace and power brought something very different to the party, and something that opposing defenders struggled with.

A big slow centre forward can be brilliant - we know that better than most - but the likes of Sir Ricky developed their technique over a number of years. Playing with your back to goal doesn't seem to be what he does best. Is he really a target man?

Scoring 32 goals in that City youth team (that no doubt completely dominates other teams) is not the same as scoring goals for Saints in the Prem.

Don’t know if u saw this, he does have a bit of pace nothing like broja but not slow imo.. can also run with ball well and not just a static big man 

• Like 1

I agree Broja’s pace was a bit of a game changer, having a lad of his stature with pace to burn is very rare. I described him early doors as a bit of a poor mans Haaland and I still think it. I really think he’s got huge potential and whilst I think it’s unlikely, I think us signing him would be a real coup, even at the 20/25mil figure suggested. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Can't we just loan Delap? 

I wouldn't want us to splash 25 odd million on him.... I'd rather we get somebody in more established at this level. 

What I thought.  Might solve our striker problem in the short-term without overspending, and Liam gets a little game time. 

Get him on loan for a season. See if Adams, Armstrong or eventually Mara can further develop alongside him and go from there.
That would leave four decent strikers for the season.

It’s Wingers and AMs we need now. Aribo is a start but I must say I’ve no idea how good he is because if never seen him player other than a highlight reel which as we know can be misleading (remember Steve de Ridder).

Just under two weeks until the season kicks off and I’m still weary of our full back depth, CM depth, and AM/Wide depth.
Also the lack of talk of players leaving on a permanent deal, Bednarek etc.

It’s simple really 😁

1) bring Broja back on loan with an option to buy 

2) bring Delap in on loan 

3) buy Sasa Kalajdzic

4) sell Che Adams to Leeds or Everton

5) loan Adam Armstrong to Middlesbrough with an obligation to buy

and let’s not forget we still need a No 10 to play on the left - as well as cover at left back and right back 

in all honesty this transfer window has already been a lot better than I was expecting it to be - but we still have a lot to do if we are going to be truly competitive in the premier league - rather than avoiding relegation by not being as bad as 3 other teams

• Like 1

Move on from Delap and put all resources into getting a striker with a bit more first team experience. To me laying out that sort of money on a lad then expecting him to change our lack of goals from the word go is too much to expect from him along with all the pressure that comes with it, take A Armstrong as an example. 

City don't want to sell in any case so let's not waste time. Surely the 20 mil with 10 mil add ons we have offered for Delap is enough to tempt someone else, we could even throw in a player or two if it makes the deal sweeter. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

How about a cheeky bid for Kelvin Yaboah from Genoa? He joined them in January and they were relegated - didn't score for them in around 17 games . However, looks big, strong, quick and powerful in his skills videos, plenty of tricks, strong finisher and good in the air. Think he's Tony Yeboah's nephew. Would be well under 10 million so not a huge gamble.

11 minutes ago, saintant said:

How about a cheeky bid for Kelvin Yaboah from Genoa? He joined them in January and they were relegated - didn't score for them in around 17 games . However, looks big, strong, quick and powerful in his skills videos, plenty of tricks, strong finisher and good in the air. Think he's Tony Yeboah's nephew. Would be well under 10 million so not a huge gamble.

He sounds amazing!!

Sounds like his price should be about 3 training cones.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Don’t know if u saw this, he does have a bit of pace nothing like broja but not slow imo.. can also run with ball well and not just a static big man 

yeah, I've seen that clip a lot and he certainly does well (all be it against another nipper), but when watching his youtube videos I don't see any pace. He can move, but its not a weapon. Smashing it in the top corner is though. 

17 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So it seems all the talk is currently about Delap, but who is our back-up if we can't get him? And if we are also looking at others, in other positions, who are they?

Kelvin Yaboah

25 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So it seems all the talk is currently about Delap, but who is our back-up if we can't get him? And if we are also looking at others, in other positions, who are they?

Sasa Kalajdzic I hope.

• Like 4

Doesn't fit the direction of our current transfer policy but I wonder if we would consider Belotti?

I still feel Cornet should be a player we need to seriously consider alongside a second striker... imagine this position will be looked at if one of or a couple from Theo/Redmond/Moussa move on. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monk said:

Doesn't fit the direction of our current transfer policy but I wonder if we would consider Belotti?

I still feel Cornet should be a player we need to seriously consider alongside a second striker... imagine this position will be looked at if one of or a couple from Theo/Redmond/Moussa move on. 

I don’t see us trying to move Redmond on. He is a useful player and still provides a lot more than Walcott and Djenepo do.

• Like 6

Belotti is definitely the one I'd like, but I'd guess he stays in Italy. I don't like the idea of Sasa, the German guys I know don't rate him and don't think he'd do very well over here, similar to their opinion of Taiwo who just went to Forest.

I just desperately want us to find a gem like Raphinha/ASM. 

19 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He scored as many goals as I did last season.

One day, when he's banging in goals for fun at a top European side we'll wistfully look back and say, 'why didn't we sign Kelvin Yaboah when we had the chance?'

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think our record fee will actually be on an AM/Winger rather than a striker. (Assuming they’re the positions we’re trying to get in an the fees being bandied around are to be believed).

Who is your hunch?