Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread

Paulwantsapint81

21 minutes ago, Mattio said:

I can see us winning this then getting Chelsea in the next round where we can't play Broja so end up losing, hopefully there's an upset against Luton!

We can play Broja in the FA Cup (according to the rules), it is only the Premier League where he is not permitted to play (to the best of my understanding). Whether Chelsea and Saints agreed otherwise is open to question, but don't assume he can't play.

• Like 1

Dont think it will be unchanged. There will be some rotation but nothing as drastic as Cov. I'd like to see something like this...

Willy

KWP.     Salisu.     Stephens.     Perraud

Moi.      Diallo.     JWP.      Stu

Adams          Broja

33 minutes ago, Jack said:

Full strength, unchanged for me. Rotate a few for Villa if needed. We should be putting absolutely everything into the cup run now that we’re safely mid table but way short of Euro qualification 

I agree 100% but the line up we put out against Coventry doesn't fill me with hope. We got out of jail on that one so hopefully Ralph has learnt his lesson. 

Don't think we'll see as many changes but It wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of Caballero , Valery, Stephens, Diallo, Smallbone, Walcott , A Armstrong, Long involved at some point, still allowed 5 subs aren't we? 

9 hours ago, CylonKing said:

Poison-Look what the cat dragged in

Alleycat Scratch-Cats got your tongue

Pantera-Cat Scratch Fever (not the Nugent original as he's a d*ck)

More importantly, surely Saints should be in Yellow and Blue regardless of being at home?

If all teams want to wear yellow and blue, it could get confusing. Yellow and blue armbands would make more sense.

• Like 1

WHU rank joint 3rd in terms of PPG for teams he has struggled against (PL teams only and more than 2 games played - otherwise technically Cardiff top this table as Ralph suffered 2 defeats!)

Rank Team Wins Draws Losses PPG
1 Liverpool 1 0 5 0.50
2 Man United 0 4 3 0.57
3 Man City 1 2 5 0.63
3 WHU 1 2 5 0.63
5 Newcastle 1 1 4 0.67
6 Chelsea  1 3 3 0.86
7 Arsenal  2 2 4 1.00
7 Wolves 2 2 4 1.00
Edited by nta786

52 minutes ago, JRM said:

I agree 100% but the line up we put out against Coventry doesn't fill me with hope. We got out of jail on that one so hopefully Ralph has learnt his lesson. 

Don't think we'll see as many changes but It wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of Caballero , Valery, Stephens, Diallo, Smallbone, Walcott , A Armstrong, Long involved at some point, still allowed 5 subs aren't we? 

I really hope not. We got away with it vs Swansea and Coventry, WHU are too good not to put us away if we mess around. Like you say, hopefully he’s learnt. It’d be a crime to throw this one given it’s our best chance of winning something and euro qualification 

• Like 3

Caballero wasn't even on the bench against Norwich, Lewis was so even if he's back after his back tweak, I'd play Forster.

Their right back area is a weakness without Coufal so I'd play Perraud to attack it and KWP on the right and, sorry Tino, bench him as an impact sub. 

Otherwise... same team please. This could go either way. They have a good midfield and our hands will be tied trying to keep Antonio quiet but I still think we can beat them if we take our chances and their keeper doesn't have a worldy. 

I'm going to say... 1-1 into extra time, Redmond off the bench to win it AET.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Full strength, unchanged for me. Rotate a few for Villa if needed. We should be putting absolutely everything into the cup run now that we’re safely mid table but way short of Euro qualification 

This. Absolutely!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Caballero wasn't even on the bench against Norwich, Lewis was so even if he's back after his back tweak, I'd play Forster.

Their right back area is a weakness without Coufal so I'd play Perraud to attack it and KWP on the right and, sorry Tino, bench him as an impact sub. 

Otherwise... same team please. This could go either way. They have a good midfield and our hands will be tied trying to keep Antonio quiet but I still think we can beat them if we take our chances and their keeper doesn't have a worldy. 

I'm going to say... 1-1 into extra time, Redmond off the bench to win it AET.

Cresswell looked like he took a good knock yesterday, tweaked his groin in a challenge and they haven’t got LB cover really. That’ll be where we can hurt them, getting the full backs up the pitch as much as possible. 

Antonio looked knackered yesterday as well, they may rest him 

42 minutes ago, CylonKing said:

True enough, forgot in my drunkenness last night that he is also a d*ck. I'll remove that from my list.

Such a shame as it's a great song and cover version.

How about Fudge Tunnel's version of it then?

We have to go all out as our league campaign is pretty much over; we aren't going down and we won't catch the team in 7th. I trust Ralph to pick a strong side. We've had a couple of days extra rest, and West Ham have a busy schedule with upcoming Europa league. Whilst they have a decent first 11, they don't have great strength in depth.

Saints 1-0 West Ham (Adams 62)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Mariner named as the referee? What's he been like for us over the years? 

The last game he refereed for us was that 4-0 defeat at Anfield this season in November.

Before that, the last 3 games are... the 3-2 comeback last season Burnley at home, the 3-0 defeat to Leeds last season away when he blew his whistle early, the 1-0 win over Pool with Ingsy scoring...

Over the years though, he has reffed some famous games... "that" home game vs Leicester, the 1-0 win vs City when Che scored from 40 yards, the EFL Cup final, the 4-2 win over City when Mane scored a hat trick in 2016... and to save the best for last.... "that" 8-0 win over the Mackems 8) 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tunit said:

Dont think it will be unchanged. There will be some rotation but nothing as drastic as Cov. I'd like to see something like this...

Willy

KWP.     Salisu.     Stephens.     Perraud

Moi.      Diallo.     JWP.      Stu

Adams          Broja

We should only rotate anyone if they are genuinely struggling with fitness. I don't see any argument for rotating in the cup so that we can go back to the first choice 11 for the Villa game at all.

It's all about priorities. I think most Saints fans would reluctantly accept a defeat or draw in league Vs Villa if it means we stay in the cup. And would hope Ralph feels the same.

• Like 1

Can I ask a bit of a lame question? Please don’t judge! Ex season ticket holder haven’t been since the pre Ralph disasters in mangers but dipping my toe back in the water on Wednesday night and was intrigued/excited (nerdy) by some of the pre match light show and pyrotechnics I know some don’t like it but is this done at all night games? Thanks 

2 hours ago, AndySFC123 said:

Can I ask a bit of a lame question? Please don’t judge! Ex season ticket holder haven’t been since the pre Ralph disasters in mangers but dipping my toe back in the water on Wednesday night and was intrigued/excited (nerdy) by some of the pre match light show and pyrotechnics I know some don’t like it but is this done at all night games? Thanks 

This season there's always a pre-match build up involving a video with loud music followed by the brass band playing OWTS - all of which is great in my opinion.  Then for live televised matches, particularly Sky, they shoe horn between the two some fire machines and extra song that goes on too long.

Edited by The Left Back

4 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Put our strongest team out, why rotate?. 

I agree I'd like our strongest team fielded, as outside of the current first choice eleven the standard drops considerably,  with the only  exceptions being Stephens and Peraud, in my opinion.

Our midfield has been excellent, inserting Diallo, Redmond or, god forbid, Walcott would weaken it considerably. Of those, Dallo would be the least disruptive. I haven't seen enough of Smallbone to have an opinion either way.

To answer your question, some players maybe struggling with knocks or fatigue, other players maybe getting frustrated at lack of game time and Armstrong could probably do with a rest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

Ralph’s said in the presser it’s a good chance to rotate. Hope he’s bluffing too an extent and the disruption is minimal 

Its pretty obvious that he will rotate because no matter what, for clubs and managers the league is always a higher priority than the cup games.

We have a big squad that he has to try to keep happy and a few players, Stuart Armstrong being one, that has to be managed carefully to keep him fit.

Anyone who is suprised when they see the team tomorrow and we have made a few changes shouldn't be suprised and equally it doesnt mean we have no chance of winning.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Its pretty obvious that he will rotate because no matter what, for clubs and managers the league is always a higher priority than the cup games.

We have a big squad that he has to try to keep happy and a few players, Stuart Armstrong being one, that has to be managed carefully to keep him fit.

Anyone who is suprised when they see the team tomorrow and we have made a few changes shouldn't be suprised and equally it doesnt mean we have no chance of winning.

We won't have no chance at all of winning, but I will be really disappointed (and not a little confused) if we make a number of changes in this game just to give squad players a game.

I was always under the impression that one of the major goals of top flight teams was to win trophies, and it's so depressing that the premier League is so all pervasive in clubs and managers minds now that they may prioritise getting an extra place in mid table over the chance of winning the FA Cup.

I accept the need to rotate and give players like Armstrong a break at points during the season but in our current league situation, I don't accept that the right time to do that is in the Cup rather than the Villa game (or indeed the Norwich game just gone).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Ralph’s said in the presser it’s a good chance to rotate. Hope he’s bluffing too an extent and the disruption is minimal 

I've got a nasty feeling he's going to do a Poch on us. Will never forget when we went to bottom of the table Sunderland in 5th round 2014, Saints were fresh whereas Sunderland also had a league cup final to prepare for, we played a weakened team and crashed out absolute shambles. 

• Like 3

On 28/02/2022 at 13:20, Jack said:

I really hope not. We got away with it vs Swansea and Coventry, WHU are too good not to put us away if we mess around. Like you say, hopefully he’s learnt. It’d be a crime to throw this one given it’s our best chance of winning something and euro qualification 

Also especially as we have a favorable home draw again,hey look we haven't won a cup for so long,take it seriously put out the best and take it from there.

Fingers crossed ,we should fear no one. Saints 3-1.

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

I've got a nasty feeling he's going to do a Poch on us. Will never forget when we went to bottom of the table Sunderland in 5th round 2014, Saints were fresh whereas Sunderland also had a league cup final to prepare for, we played a weakened team and crashed out absolute shambles. 

1-0 down and chasing the game with 10 mins to go he brought on Sam Mcqueen for his debut FFS. Nothing against Sam Mcqueen but not the time or place for that.

Is it true the FA have denied Saints request to wear the yellow and blue kit tomorrow?

I’ve seen something on social media but don’t know if it’s true.

Surely they wouldn’t refuse it……would they?

Edited by beatlesaint

33 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Is it true the FA have denied Saints request to wear the yellow and blue kit tomorrow?

No idea if true that it's been requested or declined. But it might ha be deemed a 'political gesture' which isn't accepted by the FA. 

Presumably our one match sponsorship by Cats Protection has also been vetoed.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I never forgave Poch for that. Won’t forgive Ralph either but can’t see it as he knows importance of cups.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Hmmm - just read what he has said on Hampshire live. Not sure we’ll be starting with the 11 from the last 2 starts.

Agreed, doesn't sound promising. I'm not sure his heart in is this cup run but I hope I am proved wrong.

5 minutes ago, Mattster said:

Agreed, doesn't sound promising. I'm not sure his heart in is this cup run but I hope I am proved wrong.

Think his heart is but his head rules. Can’t see S Armstrong starting mainly due to risk of injury. 

Edited by Toadhall Saint

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Hopefully it's just 2 or 3 three rotated out.

The lowest risk would be Stephens, Peraud and Diallo , straight like for like swaps and with Diallo in for Armstrong if he needs a rest. If his strategy is similar to Derby then we won’t get away with it. 

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Brighton are doing it. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2510189/albions-show-of-support-for-peace-in-ukraine

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I thought RH said something along the lines of wanting to but these things not always possible to arrange with the opponents. Not really sure what he meant as it won't clash with any of Wham's 3 kits.

He did say we'd definitely wear it against Villa though.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic