Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

NewYorkSaint

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not for me, like quite a few others I’d been saying that Forster is the better option of the two. He’s not been flawless by any stretch but in general I think the defence as a whole has looked more secure with him behind.

To be honest though, neither should be seen as our first choice option going forwards so hopefully it gets addressed in the summer.

Agreed - Forster been really good, and his distribution better too - something that people always said McCarthy was better for, which I never saw, all his kicks went straight in to touch.   

• Like 2

What a team and what a game last night.  The best I have seen since we beat them at WHL some years ago 3-1 with Beattie 2,  and Phillips scoring the goals. It was great to listen to Skate Darke and Hoddle almost urging us to lose. We played like Brazil especially first half. Well done lads.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

As I understand the situation VAR can’t disallow a goal because of a foul that occurred early in a sequence of moves and I don’t think that VAR can intervene in any general fouls on the pitch unless there is a question of serious foul play. 

This situation should have been halted immediately because there had been a blow to the back of the neck. Nobody could have complained if that had happened.

it wasn't early in the sequence of moves, they literally scored because they won the ball back with a foul, 5 touches and 10 seconds later it was in the back of the net. In fairness it was a good goal and a good move but it doesn't happen if the ref gives a foul, so beyond me how they can say it was too early.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

As I was unable to watch the game and nothing was mentioned on MoD, what actually kicked off on the touchline after the Broja foul/Spuds 2nd?

Conte was being a helmet, celebrated the goal a bit over the top but fair enough, saints players were round the ref appealing and he was making finger to the mouth gestures to them, look like someone on the saints bench reacted and he did the classic hold me back thing of moving forward to the saints bench knowing full well about 5 of his team and the officials would have got in the way. No chance some soppy italian with hair implants is going to be taken seriously when it goes off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Three great finishes!

Adams' in particular - a cross curling and spinning in like that, he had to generate the power and get the direction spot on.

I'm not sure why Lloris didn't go for the second one, presumably beaten for pace - it was a top class header but not far away from him.

What a fantastic win.

And we made that massive club Spurs look chaotic, I think they could in fifty years time reflect on Leicester's season as the one that got away.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Coincidence that we have gone alot better since McCarthy been injured?  

that and Walker Peters playing more regularly and Perrard getting up to speed. Two good full backs there. No way does Livramento get back into the team at the moment, as great a prospect as he is

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Plus Stu Armstrong getting back to form in the last few games. Makes such a difference to us going forward. 

Yes, he gives us drive and direct running from midfield, something no one else really gives us. Such a good player.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Conte was being a helmet, celebrated the goal a bit over the top but fair enough, saints players were round the ref appealing and he was making finger to the mouth gestures to them, look like someone on the saints bench reacted and he did the classic hold me back thing of moving forward to the saints bench knowing full well about 5 of his team and the officials would have got in the way. No chance some soppy italian with hair implants is going to be taken seriously when it goes off.

RH not involved?

I have a view that the referee ignored the foul on Broja which led to Spurs second goal because he had already booked Sanchez for a similar foul, warned him about a second similar foul so would have had to book him for the foul and send him off. I just think he bottled it in front of a large Spurs crowd. VAR should have picked up the foul play and got the referee to review it.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, derry said:

I have a view that the referee ignored the foul on Broja which led to Spurs second goal because he had already booked Sanchez for a similar foul, warned him about a second similar foul so would have had to book him for the foul and send him off. I just think he bottled it in front of a large Spurs crowd. VAR should have picked up the foul play and got the referee to review it.

It was Royal that fouled Broja. I still can't see why it wasn't given, the ref was looking straight at it.

Just now, Fan The Flames said:

It was Royal that fouled Broja. I still can't see why it wasn't given, the ref was looking straight at it.

A few (probably more) occasions where a Spurs player would be brushed by ours, fall to the floor and the ref giving them the foul.

How on earth can he not give a free kick, let alone stop play for a head injury, is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not at all.  He was embarrassingly biased last night. 

Yeah he had a shocker really. Saying there was no opportunity to put the ball out of play when there was clearly a head injury, and then claiming Spurs were "robbed" by VAR when Bergwein was quite blatantly offside.

He generally comes across as a fairly intelligent chap, but he's a crap commentator/pundit.

They only got him on because of his connection to both clubs.

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

All agree that Hoddle is a terrible pundit?

At least he understood our offside trap. Jonathan Pierce in MOTD said it was terrible defending. Yeah holding the line and allowing them to run offside. Should have followed them in eh Jon?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

THIS my friends THIS is why we are Saints fans. We go through so many tough times but keep coming back. SAVOUR IT!

I remember the 2005 team and set up ... Harry Rednapp. The young team and manager we have now is never that.

13 minutes ago, whelk said:

At least he understood our offside trap. Jonathan Pierce in MOTD said it was terrible defending. Yeah holding the line and allowing them to run offside. Should have followed them in eh Jon?

yeh they said that, I thought it was smart.

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

VAR is great for spotting offside or deciding if the ball crossed the line but when it comes to fouls it seems just as dodgy as refs always were.

VAR is just a video replay. You still have the same people controlling it, so naturally, you’re going to get the same decisions. 

VAR in itself isn’t the issue. It’s the humans controlling it. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

All agree that Hoddle is a terrible pundit?

I like him and respect his football knowledge, I do think he is a terrible choice in the context of commenting on a Spurs game, the club he loves, there is little balance or rationality in his comments. The way he and Pompey supporting "w" are all going to die of Covid so shouldn't be playing football " ** Ian Darke were goin on it sounded like we were enduring some kind of Spurs onslaught, when in reality we had something like 3 times the shots, and 3 times the shots on target. 

* Same when Keown does Arsenal

** I still haven't forgiven  him for his lack of moral fibre during the darkest days of you know what and want him presented with a white feather and shot at dawn.

Edited by Toussaint

19 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yeah that was mental. Incredibly poor from someone who's meant to understand football for a living.

Can't stand Pierce generally. I saw him in a gastropub once and he was unironically wearing a shellsuit.

I miss the stately, measured dons of yesteryear. You wouldn't catch Brian Moore out in public in nylon leisurewear. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, whelk said:

I thought that too. Unfortunately I can't help but like Pierce because of Robot Wars.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

What a game!!

Something really special about this team. Even when we went 2-1 down, which felt extremely unjust, I felt we were still in it. I wasn’t expecting us to come back and win though!

You can sum up the difference in attitude from this season and the last couple by looking at left back, this team is optimised by Perraud and his bust a gut all action attitude, completely in contrast to Bertrand’s attitude where he rarely looked like he cared. It’s so evident that we have 11 players on the pitch who are giving their all, who are proud to be playing for the club and who desperately want to win, it’s so refreshing.

Bring on utd. If we can pinch a point there, getting 5 points from City/Tottenham/Utd would be utterly exceptional!!

our run after that looks favourable, could see us finish comfortably in the top half! 

Really? Surely this is the same team that most people on here were slagging off as relegation fodder a few short weeks ago. Don't know if you were one of them.

Amazing how short fans memories are.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Because tot spurts were supposed to win! The ref tried his best to make it happen, but SPURTS were that poor and we were that good. It is blatant cheating by the official, it was a foul and a head injury, only a bias/corruptible ref would not call that! They tried to change the outcome, just like they did last time we played them (we we all over them, then a week sending off).

If that offside was just a little bit iffy, then would have played on, but it was so blatant, they had to RELUCTANTLY call their equalizer off side. What a sweet victory, March on Saints!

Well done to Ralph and his coaching team. The rest has been said. 

12 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Because tot spurts were supposed to win! The ref tried his best to make it happen, but SPURTS were that poor and we were that good. It is blatant cheating by the official, it was a foul and a head injury, only a bias/corruptible ref would not call that! They tried to change the outcome, just like they did last time we played them (we we all over them, then a week sending off).

If that offside was just a little bit iffy, then would have played on, but it was so blatant, they had to RELUCTANTLY call their equalizer off side. What a sweet victory, March on Saints!

Don't be silly.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

most people on here were slagging off as relegation fodder a few short weeks ago

We haven't looked anything like 'relegation fodder' since the end of September and even then we'd picked up a few points from a tough start against United, City and West Ham. We're a far, far better team than Burnley, Watford and Norwich and have been for several months.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Coincidence that we have gone alot better since McCarthy been injured?  

There’s way more to it that that IMO. As others have said, the LB/RB situation has helped, Salisu winning everything and Bednarek generally decent, keeps the pressure off the keeper. 

JWP and Romeu have been absolutely class through this run of form too. A settled back 4 and organised CM, that’s what results are built on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We haven't looked anything like 'relegation fodder' since the end of September and even then we'd picked up a few points from a tough start against United, City and West Ham. We're a far, far better team than Burnley, Watford and Norwich and have been for several months.

I agree I think we have played pretty well all season but individual errors and A Armstrongs lack of goals has held us back

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

As I understand the situation VAR can’t disallow a goal because of a foul that occurred early in a sequence of moves and I don’t think that VAR can intervene in any general fouls on the pitch unless there is a question of serious foul play. 

This situation should have been halted immediately because there had been a blow to the back of the neck. Nobody could have complained if that had happened.

I would get it if there had been a change in phase but the 'foul' won them the ball and from that moment they worked it up the pitch, into the box and scored so no change in phase.

It was exhilarating to watch our football last night, and at times we were almost unplayable. One guy on the Fighting Cock said "I'd give my right nut for us to play the kind of football they play".

Spurs were chasing shadows for much of the game, and there's a delicious irony in us doing that to them of all teams (from Wiki):

The "push and run" style of play was first developed by Arthur Rowe at Tottenham Hotspur. Rowe himself would credit Peter McWilliam, the Spurs manager under whom he served, with teaching him how to play a quick passing style of game from which Rowe then extended into "push and run".[4] This possession-based game of play of McWilliam has been traced back to Scottish players who first conceived of the idea of keeping possession of the ball instead of dribbling and charging in their first ever football international against England in 1872.

• Like 1