Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

NewYorkSaint

3 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Nice to see Che becoming a really solid prem striker as well.  I mean sure, Broja gets all the plaudits but Che is turning into a very decent buy as well. 

5 goals so far this season with an upturn in form recently, could easily hit double figures which is brilliant for a striker at our level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ralph said:

Any questions over Ralph? Now tactically dominated conte over 2 games and guardiola in the last match. I’m looking forward to hearing from the doubters now

We lost 9-0 twice; to be frank Ralph is extremely lucky as I can't think of many premier league clubs who would hold onto their manager after that. 

Good thing we have a halfway sensible board as well (before I get murdered I am a big Ralph fan and was all for keeping him). So yeah, I can certainly understand the doubters but he's a decent manager and for us I think a very good one. Long may it continue! (until he retires in 2024). 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Good to see the doom and gloom experts who predicted our form would fall off a cliff with Ralph mentioning retirement at the end of the 2024 season were spot on. 😂

Absolutely. And It may actually work in our favour, because with results like that, he'll soon be on everyone's managerial radar again, when in fact he has apparently said to the new owners (if I understand it correctly) that he's happy to leave here in 2 years time...... to retire. 

In the meantime - just enjoy tonight's result. Absolutely fantastic. 

• Like 3

Absolutely tremendous. The character we've shown at times this season has been class and that was another level tonight. To think some were bemoaning the 120 mins at the weekend and saying we would be knackered. Plenty of fresh legs back in the team and our energy levels were excellent.

Thoroughly deserved the win and even the Spurs second goal was very unfortunate. Never mind it looking a foul , surely the referee (who I thought was poor at times) should be stopping play for an apparent head injury. 

Anyways onto us. Excellent performances all round. Thought Salisu, Ely, Stu, Broja and Adams were all superb. Broja could have had about 5 though and should have played Adams in for one. Forster made some good saves at times (particularly from Regulion early on). But the standouts for me were JWP, Romeu and Perraud. Captain fantastic didnt stop all game and two great deliveries for the two late goals and Romeu was so calm and composed on the ball all night long. Both showing that Hojbjerg, has been no loss for us. Perraud was the MOTM for me. Got an assist and always providing an attacking option down the left. His workrate and tenacity in defence was a joy to watch. After some bizarre criticism on here at the start of the season he is now a nailed on starter.

What a night 🟡🔵🟡🔵

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

We lost 9-0 twice; to be frank Ralph is extremely lucky as I can't think of many premier league clubs who would hold onto their manager after that. 

Good thing we have a halfway sensible board as well (before I get murdered I am a big Ralph fan and was all for keeping him). So yeah, I can certainly understand the doubters but he's a decent manager and for us I think a very good one. Long may it continue! (until he retires in 2024). 

With nearly the lowest budget in the league he is playing top teams off the park. Nothing more to say. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Pearce just called Spurs offside free kick, "bad defending." Since when was holding your defensive line perfectly so that five attacking players are a good yard offside ‘bad defending’?

I said the same. It was great defending, but shit commentary. 

• Like 1

Beating Spurs is so sweet as I gravely dislike them. Beating Spurs with that angry tosser Conte in charge is even sweeter.

What can I say... what a win. Just seem MOTD and we looked brilliant. If that performance had been Man City the media would be raving about it for weeks. Stats look great too, especially chances and more importantly possession... when we are usually the ones soaking it up and breaking.

All 3 goals looked good but my god those assists from JWP were different class. He spotted Moi's run perfectly and was pin point for Adams. Just wow. If we still have JWP next season I'll be amazed... the lad just gets better and better.

Great line up today and it showed, our squad is good as it showed even missing Livramento, Redmond, Tella and Lyanco didn't matter. That result has banished any lingering doubts of relegation for me. I thought perhaps we could slip with some tough fixtures to come and teams at the bottom picking up points but nah. We good for a top 12 finish at least I reckon.

I like Elyounoussi. He may not be the fastest but he knows where the goal is and has a decent footballing brain. A good squad player.

Fraser over Alex every day of the week for me too.

We'll dine out on this for a while. Before tonight I thought we'd have more of a chance beating United than Spurs. United is now a free hit and they are beatable. 

I'm off to read The Fighting Cock forum to spy on some, umm, fighting cocks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

From MSN:

Spurred on by injustice and indignation, Southampton launched a resounding late fightback to snatch victory and leave Tottenham Hotspur’s top-four hopes sodden and deflated. As the full-time whistle blew, Ralph Hasenhuttl sank to his knees in the dugout and roared into the rain with the sort of fervour that had matched his side’s courage. Twice they had trailed Tottenham only to rally spectacularly as Armando Broja cancelled out Jan Bednarek’s own goal before Mohamed Elyounoussi and Che Adams scored near-identical headers within the space of three frantic minutes to seal a 3-2 victory in north London. It was Spurs’ second that had caused such controversy and ultimately served to ignite Southampton’s fury.

What appeared a clear foul in the build-up had left Broja crumpled on the halfway line with a head injury, but play was allowed to continue and Son Heung-min thought he had snatched all three points for Spurs. Antonio Conte became so incensed by Southampton’s protests that he had to be restrained by his assistants but by full-time the Italian’s face was bleak and almost disbelieving. Presented with a great chance to gain a foothold in the top-four race, this defeat will stain long after the clothes have dried, but perhaps that was fitting on a night when Spurs defended within themselves and Southampton played out of their skin

• Like 15

That was a monumental performance from every single one of them, I can't remember the last time I've seen us swarm a team with so much purpose and quality. We were absolutely relentless from the first minute. 

We benefited massively from Spurs standing off us in the first half, that allowed so much space for Ely and Armstrong to pop up and drive into. We were relentless in our press and Spurs were so passive. It was so frustrating that it wasn't at least 1-3 at HT as we'd have deserved that to a man. You kind of felt an inventible script was being written.

Second half Spurs pressed higher, they got tighter and they certainly weren't as passive. The space we had in the first half had somewhat vanished and we were struggling to get the fluidity in our play, but we stuck at it. It's hard to analyse that second goal as it was a 'false' goal, in every single ground in every single country that is a foul in the build up and it's not a goal. Absolutley insane that it was allowed and even more ludicrous that the commentary team failed to even acknowledge that glaring referring disaster in front of them.

But what spirt, what character and belief. The one thing that you could throw at this team in recent years is that our heads drop when the going gets tough, but f**k me this year we have turned that on it's head. We re-grouped and just pushed forward again. Spurs did sit back and decided to revert to their passive approach which helped us, but the quality of delivery from JWP from open play is clearly as dangerous as those from a set piece. Incredible delivery, but also a note on Adams header by the way - best header I've seen for years.

It's hard to single a player out, but I want to give special mention to Elyounoussi. He's divided opinion and has struggled during his time here, but that first half was as good as I've ever seen him play. He was good on the ball, good off the ball, technical and skilful when he had it. The perfect number 10 performance away from home.

Broja a threat as usual, but he needs to calm down a bit as he snatched at a couple of chances that a cooler head would have buried.

Overall that's a bonus 3 points, but the performance has left me so excited. That is everything you want from a high intensity, high pressing side and it would have been an absolute footballing travesty had we not won that.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 13

Ward-Prowse and Stuart Armstrong just keep getting better and we know that Broja is a great striker but a shout out for two of our unsung heroes tonight: Romeu and Elyounoussi.   I'd like to see Elyounoussi regularly ahead of Redmond in our starting lineup with Redmond used instead of Walcott as a sub. Also, Forster was immense in goal. If he hadn't made that early save to stop what looked like a certain goal, the match could have been very different.

It seems like we never lose when Forster, Romeu, Stuart Armstrong and Elyounoussi play together. That midfield of Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Romeu and Elyounoussi has the perfect balance. They totally dominated Spurs.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 5

Watched the match on TV with nipper and grandson. Predicted a 2-1 win for Saints. What a match! We were outstanding. Ref made a couple of shite decisions and the ‘Diving Diva’ was allowed to score after a serious foul, but hey! They are a Top Six Club with a Manager who is currently the Londoncentric Star. Hoddle  was his usual idiot self with this remark. “Spurs were robbed by VAR!” You couldn’t make it up. Onwards and upwards to Saturday and three more points from yet another bunch of overpaid Divas. 
COYS.

• Like 3

We are developing some really strong partnerships all over the pitch. On the left Perraud is getting better with every game and tonight he brought out the best of Elyounoussi who deserved his goal - those two could be fantastic for us down that side. On the other flank we have KWP and Stuart Armstrong who were both brilliant today and Stu is so important to the momentum of the team with his driving runs now he is getting fitter. In the middle of the park JWP and Romeu keep things calm and measured and provide the link play from back to front. Two wonderful assists from Prowsey today and we all know about his free kick skills. Romeu breaks up play, intercepts and is always available. Up front Che and Broja are a handful for any defence and they weighed in tonight with two quality goals - I was so pleased to see Che get the winner. In the centre of defence Salisu is supreme ably supported by Bednarek with big Fraser behind them making vital saves when called upon. Not every game will see us play as well as we did tonight but these partnerships are the key to building a very good side.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 5

Just back from the game........firstly, I detest spurs more than any other prem team......to see the battering we gave them in the first half was one of the most joyous things I've ever witnessed as a Saints fan of over 35 years. The was a 5 - 10 minute spell where it was ludicrous but I'm sure like many of you I felt I knew what was coming in that second half but it just didn't pan out that way. I'm not sure if people had a decent view of the challenge on Broja but that looked like a foul to me, someone can tell me differently.  The fact that we managed to pick ourselves up from that and take the game to them again just blew me away. It's really hard to pick a MoM from the performance but the two in the middle OR and JWP might just edge it. Big shout outs for Peraud, Salisu,  Armstrong ( so good to have him back) ......blimey, I could pick 3 or 4 more here. My only only gripe is with Broja when he past the defender on the byline and didn't pull it back for Adams.  I struggled to believe that I witnessed that. Could have really cost us. Anyway..........won't sleep tonight, totally buzzing. Enjoy it everyone.

• Like 8

All I will say is thank goodness Mccarthy has been unavailable for as long as he has because otherwise I doubt Forster would have got the look in that he has. I'd love to keep fraser but I doubt we will. Also Tino on the bench please and KWP should start every game. He was our best player last year and it seemed inexplicable to me that he hasn't played every minute at rb when fit. With a proper lb in the right position we look so much more solid. Replace bednarek in the summer and get a decent tadic replacement to give us another option (and maybe a Broja replacement) and we will have a great team. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jamie marks said:

Just back from the game........firstly, I detest spurs more than any other prem team......to see the battering we gave them in the first half was one of the most joyous things I've ever witnessed as a Saints fan of over 35 years. The was a 5 - 10 minute spell where it was ludicrous but I'm sure like many of you I felt I knew what was coming in that second half but it just didn't pan out that way. I'm not sure if people had a decent view of the challenge on Broja but that looked like a foul to me, someone can tell me differently.  The fact that we managed to pick ourselves up from that and take the game to them again just blew me away. It's really hard to pick a MoM from the performance but the two in the middle OR and JWP might just edge it. Big shout outs for Peraud, Salisu,  Armstrong ( so good to have him back) ......blimey, I could pick 3 or 4 more here. My only only gripe is with Broja when he past the defender on the byline and didn't pull it back for Adams.  I struggled to believe that I witnessed that. Could have really cost us. Anyway..........won't sleep tonight, totally buzzing. Enjoy it everyone.

Agree, can’t remember seeing us completely dominate a top team away like that in the 1st half. Think we all were thinking we’d run out of steam and blow it in the 2nd. But what a comeback after a dreadful decision for the 2nd, looked like a foul, but regardless ref had to stop it for the head injury. 
Sharing that with my boys tonight will live long in the memory. 
Oh when the SAINTS go marching in….

• Like 1

I don’t think many believed it’d be our day after the handball by Hojbjerg wasn’t looked at, Spurs 2nd wasn’t chalked off, it was just going to be another good Saints performance where missed chances and dodgy decisions were going to keep us from the points. 

Unreal character from the lads who never let their heads go down, and deservedly dragged us back into it. Not a very Saints like thing to happen especially away at one of the ‘big’ sides. Love to see it. More at Old Trafford please 

• Like 1

Just back from the game, so glad to have witnessed that live and the atmosphere for when Adams scored was pure joy, our away end erupted.

Everyone was class really, and we fully deserved the 3 points. Anything less would have been a travesty. 

Our fans were in great jovial spirits too, around 25th minute mark Spurs had a corner and we were delaying play by a minute keeping the ball, then throwing it onto pitch when Reguilon about to take it!

Also at some point in Block 118, someone got hit by a glass beer bottle and despite calls for the stewards they did nothing about it. 

After just watching highlights and Conte’s touchline antics and some foul Spurs play, as well giving it back to their “Yid army” fans, I can’t tell you how satisfying tonight was. 

One last picture to post: 

41B5D3D4-B344-4E5A-B9D7-AC0D1DAD1BEC.thumb.jpeg.21edb62a0873fc14c8d8cdf442e6be77.jpeg

Up The Saints!!!

• Like 6