Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

NewYorkSaint

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

Does anyone have a link to a full replay of the game? I missed the first 60 mins so fancy watching the whole match in real time if poss, not just highlights. Cheers 

By a long chalk the best half of football I've seen us play since Koeman.

• Like 3

Last time I went to White Hart Lane it was the one-sided 3-1 with the Charlie Austin consolation at the end and a pretty depressing experience.

Yesterday's game is right up there as one of my best experiences following Saints, as it had just about everything - goals, hope, disappointment, injustice, karma...

Conte (shhh) and Son were winding me up big time so that last minute equaliser being ruled out was just the sweetest moment and I can't remember celebrating that wildly at the final whistle for years. What a night to be alive!

• Like 7

We looked like a complete team last night and that is our strongest XI with the only question being whether Redders comes in for Mo El, but if the latter plays like that then he has the shirt. The most impressive thing was the balance of the team and I think that the two FBs should both start moving forward and it's great to have Stuey fully fit again and driving the team forward. Armando and Che both scored again and Mo El is now making positive contributions to the team.
JWP looks like the complete midfielder and his two assists were top quality and Oriol complements him so well in CM.
Things are looking up and the poor form of the second half of last season feels like a distant memory now. COYRs!
Edited by CAH61
  • Like 2

Watching it a second time, it struck me how much more Adams and Broja are involved in our "out of possession" package than Kane and Son were for Spurs. For the most part they were waiting for the others to win back possession, while we passed-and-moved, recycled, and switched the point of attack. I was also struck by how much the Spurs players were gesticulating and moaning at eachother.

It was like watching "The Culture of the Entitled" vs "The Culture of the Committed", and it was a fricking joy to see.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, trousers said:

Cheers for the link.

That second goal is absolutely brilliant. Started by some front foot defending from Salisu yet again, a lovely passing move and obviously the top quality ball/header.

• Like 1

That second Spurs goal needs to be investigated.

It's not even just a question of whether it was a foul (it clearly was) because no matter how blatant, it is always subjective from the referee, so let's just say it wasn't a foul, I was under the impression that the referee was obliged to stop a game if there is a head injury, no matter how it happened and what the situation was. Broja was put in serious danger by that **** referee and that needs looking at.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

It's not even just a question of whether it was a foul (it clearly was) because no matter how blatant, it is always subjective from the referee, so let's just say it wasn't a foul, I was under the impression that the referee was obliged to stop a game if there is a head injury, no matter how it happened and what the situation was. Broja was put in serious danger by that **** referee and that needs looking at.

I agree, and it's not like the ref could argue he hadn't been made aware of it. On the replays you can quite clearly hear Ralph shouting to him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Use the same system rugby uses, the video ref is free to inform the onfield official of potential serious foul play at any time, even if the game has progressed by a minute or more.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

23 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I agree, and it's not like the ref could argue he hadn't been made aware of it. On the replays you can quite clearly hear Ralph shouting to him.

I'm watching the replay now and, as the play progresses, the ref clearly looks over his shoulder at the Saints bench screaming about the head injury but he chooses to ignore them and let play continue. 

image.thumb.png.32e0a9b1f2de6f7e58103cb4c8e36af6.png

image.thumb.png.d60d39de6a898393a6859533628a7f26.png

image.thumb.png.ece7d8d1e06d65f5b0d1525560468d4d.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm watching the replay now and, as the play progresses, the ref clearly looks over his shoulder at the Saints bench screaming about the head injury but he chooses to ignore them and let play continue. 

That's disgraceful. He needs to be hauled in front of the PMGOL and made to explain himself for that.

No ifs, no buts. As soon as he was made aware of a player down with a head injury he should have stopped the game immediately, whether he thought it was a foul or not.

• Like 2

Might have missed it but has there been any official explanation on why we were denied a blatant penalty when Hojbjerg handled in our area? I mean come on, the guilty look on his face said it all, he knew he was guilty bang to rights and looked like a kid who'd been caught with his hand in the biscuit jar. Transfer the same incident to the other end with one of our players moving his arm towards the ball and we all know what would have happened.

• Like 3

Usually I think most fans (me included, for sure) overreact to both defeats and victories, but not in this case.

I have no idea what xG means, but - having rewatched the whole match - I think we could easily have won that 1-4 or 1-5. Winning it 2-3 is bad for the heart rate, but was great for the banter.

• Like 2

Just a comment on the hypocrite that is Antonio Conte. To best demonstrate the point I think it's fair to say those clips of him complaining that we were claiming Broja was fouled could easily have been clips of him remonstrating had the exact same thing happened to Harry Kane

• Like 1

On 08/02/2022 at 08:02, Dr Who? said:

We have a pretty terrible Premier League record at Spurs. 

Ralf has never got a point there with a play 4 lost 4, scored 5 (scored in every game) conceding 12. 

In fact we have only won there once since being back in the top flight played 9, lost 8 and won 1. Scoring 10 but conceding 20. The only win coming in 15/16 season when we came from 1 down to win 2-1 with 2 Steve Davis goals. 

Our overall record in the Premier League does not make for any better reading, where we have played at the Lane 22 times in total and have won just the twice, losing 18 and drawing 2. 

I do have to say that the other win at the Lane was one of my favourite away games and it came in the 03/04 season when we beat a Spurs team 1-3 led by Mr Hoddle, with goals from Beattie x2 and Kevin Phillips. I remember it being a very hot sunny ☀️ day and the for-mentioned Mr Hoddle get sacked on the Sunday. I have a great weekend in London with an old friend, it was a great weekend. 

I would like to think we could grab a point, but my head is saying 2-1 my heart 2-2. 

Overall Premier League record at WHL

Played 22 - Won 2 - Drawn 2 - Lost 18 - Scored 23 - Conceded 53. 

We’ll just goes to show that the past does not matter too much when it comes to nights like last night.

Ralf has his first points at Spurs and how, woohoo 🙌 

• Like 2

Broja was watching the ball come down then got a forearm smash in the back of the neck with whiplash so no foul ??

At the end Conte was talking gibberish , I know english is not his first language but he had nothing to say just rambling about points etc

Stats;

Saints: 23 shots 10 on target; Spurs 8 shots 3 on target 🙂

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I think this series of pictures says it all.  Broja was clearly taken out and I'm convinced that if that was Bednarek on Kane it's an immediate free kick and a yellow card.  Anyway play continues very quickly and a goal is scored.  In my view the reason the referee didn't stop play for the head injury (wrongly of course) is because of how quickly play developed - and he simply bottled making a decision to stop the game.  The madness then occurs as VAR rules the original foul was too early in the phase - or words to that effect?  So we have a ref bottling a decision because of how quickly Spurs threatened our goal - and yet the VAR ref decides the contrary.  How can that be possible??

My view on this was that it was definitely a foul on Broja which the Ref should have blown up for.

Having said that, if I was the Ref having made the (incorrect)decision to play on, I would not have stopped the game as it wasnt necessarily a clash of heads.

I initially though Broja was seriously injured but he was back running around shortly after.

Re the Hojberg 'handball', I would have been very disappointed if that had been given against one of our players.

Meantime thank you to VAR for the last minute decision.

It would be interesting to note how VAR has worked for/against us since inception.

1 minute ago, malcolm waldron said:

The Conte post match interview was fantastic.  I know its not his first language and so we should give him some leeway, but it was just a series of mumbled words with no meaning.  Great that we reduced him to rambling incoherence....

Funny because he always seems to manage to talk some sense when Spurs win 🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spyinthesky said:

My view on this was that it was definitely a foul on Broja which the Ref should have blown up for.

Having said that, if I was the Ref having made the (incorrect)decision to play on, I would not have stopped the game as it wasnt necessarily a clash of heads.

I initially though Broja was seriously injured but he was back running around shortly after.

Re the Hojberg 'handball', I would have been very disappointed if that had been given against one of our players.

Meantime thank you to VAR for the last minute decision.

It would be interesting to note how VAR has worked for/against us since inception.

Re the penalty incident we've had them given against us when our player has clearly tried to keep his arms behind his back. Hojbjerg made an instinctive move towards the ball with his arm. He tried to pull it away but was too late. Penalty all day for me.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Re the penalty incident we've had them given against us when our player has clearly tried to keep his arms behind his back. Hojbjerg made an instinctive move towards the ball with his arm. He tried to pull it away but was too late. Penalty all day for me.

That was last season. The criteria have been loosened for this season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That was last season. The criteria have been loosened for this season.

Not sure they've been loosened to the extent that a player can move his arm towards the ball and touch it rather than move it away and not touch it. Hojbjerg seemed to panic and should have paid the penalty, excuse the pun. Still a pen for me.

I had a damn hard week away with work, just leaving the NEC at 9 phoned Mrs JBS to say on my way home (kick out the Milkman) found radio 5 (no idea we were the featured game) just at they went 2-1, needed fuel stopped, turned on the engine just as Mo equalised, Che injected the adrenaline to get home buzzing still.

8 hours ago, jasonbenali said:

Last time I went to White Hart Lane it was the one-sided 3-1 with the Charlie Austin consolation at the end and a pretty depressing experience.

Yesterday's game is right up there as one of my best experiences following Saints, as it had just about everything - goals, hope, disappointment, injustice, karma...

Conte (shhh) and Son were winding me up big time so that last minute equaliser being ruled out was just the sweetest moment and I can't remember celebrating that wildly at the final whistle for years. What a night to be alive!

Agreed, still buzzing from the perfect away day. Brilliant performances all round, and we’re just so much better when Stuey is on the pitch. Top player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Not sure they've been loosened to the extent that a player can move his arm towards the ball and touch it rather than move it away and not touch it. Hojbjerg seemed to panic and should have paid the penalty, excuse the pun. Still a pen for me.

Possibly, but not enough for VAR to get involved and overturn the onfield decision.

An amazing team performance from us. We totally dominated them and fully deserved our victory. Despite the fact that their second goal should never have stood for a blatant foul on Broja we used that to keep going and get our just rewards :) Prowsey was my motm for two great assists for Moi and Che and for completely dominating the midfield alongside Romeu :) Stuart Armstrong is just utter class and our main driving force :) Broja is so good and a cool finish from an excellent Perraud cross.  Every single player was brilliant for us, so proud :) COYR 

Edited by davefizzy14

22 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

As I understand the situation VAR can’t disallow a goal because of a foul that occurred early in a sequence of moves and I don’t think that VAR can intervene in any general fouls on the pitch unless there is a question of serious foul play. 

This situation should have been halted immediately because there had been a blow to the back of the neck. Nobody could have complained if that had happened.

.....not to be compared to those cowards who immediately dive on the ground, holding their faces, when they get their shirts tugged....

Don't refs book players for diving anymore ? 

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Possibly, but not enough for VAR to get involved and overturn the onfield decision.

I get your comments & if that’s correct & implemented all well & good. I have a “slight” feeling the other end & Kane would have been stepping up for a spot kick. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

.....not to be compared to those cowards who immediately dive on the ground, holding their faces, when they get their shirts tugged....

Don't refs book players for diving anymore ? 

Not very often. We were told that you had to be absolutely certain before booking anyone for ‘simulation’. I think they should do it more often.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, egg said:

That's such a cracking goal, especially as they were pressing so much all over the pitch. We moved the ball around and through it, backwards and forwards. Superb goal. 

"Yeah, but... All that sideways and backwards passing... All that faffing around when we should lump it in the box as soon as possible... innit?" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, egg said:

That's such a cracking goal, especially as they were pressing so much all over the pitch. We moved the ball around and through it, backwards and forwards. Superb goal. 

Yep and if it was Man City or some other team that is in the top 4 it would have been played loads with commentators/pundits drooling all over it - makes my blood boil i tells ya 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, egg said:

There's a point where KWP gets forced back and looks under some pressure, yet a few passes later we're right back at them

• Like 2

I have just seen a clip of Spurs fans when they thought they had levelled it with still “2 and half minutes left” and straight away they so arrogant they are saying we still have enough time to win this. So self important. Love the looks on their faces when it is ruled out for offside. Just because they scored 2 in injury time a few weeks back, they need to be told that this is very very rare. 

9 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I have just seen a clip of Spurs fans when they thought they had levelled it with still “2 and half minutes left” and straight away they so arrogant they are saying we still have enough time to win this. So self important. Love the looks on their faces when it is ruled out for offside. Just because they scored 2 in injury time a few weeks back, they need to be told that this is very very rare. 

But they did ‘still have enough time to win this’, that’s not an unreasonable thing to say.