Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

NewYorkSaint

colleague of mine on the train from Liverpool St who loves a bet said “how about this, Saints to win, have more corners and more shotshan than Spurs in both halves - 500/1”. my reply was “no chance”. he bunged on a fiver

£2,505 now in his Skybet account 🤣

What a f**king performance

• Like 8

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Just back from the game, so glad to have witnessed that live and the atmosphere for when Adams scored was pure joy, our away end erupted.

Everyone was class really, and we fully deserved the 3 points. Anything less would have been a travesty. 

Our fans were in great jovial spirits too, around 25th minute mark Spurs had a corner and we were delaying play by a minute keeping the ball, then throwing it onto pitch when Reguilon about to take it!

Also at some point in Block 118, someone got hit by a glass beer bottle and despite calls for the stewards they did nothing about it. 

After just watching highlights and Conte’s touchline antics and some foul Spurs play, as well giving it back to their “Yid army” fans, I can’t tell you how satisfying tonight was. 

One last picture to post: 

41B5D3D4-B344-4E5A-B9D7-AC0D1DAD1BEC.thumb.jpeg.21edb62a0873fc14c8d8cdf442e6be77.jpeg

Up The Saints!!!

You've summed things up so well - surely one of the most electrifying and satisfying Saints' performances for many years - at so many levels.   First, that astounding opening 45 minutes where Saints sat Tottenham on their bottoms in most facets of the game - it could so easily have been out of sight at H/T.    Then the feeling of dread and injustice when the Son goal goes in after the blatant foul on Broja which surely must have struck most supporters that our night was done in familiar, unlucky circumstances.    To watch Conte carry on like he did - the aggression and the arrogance following on from the home fans howls at Forster on 66 minutes as he was perceived (in their eyes) to be wasting time in search of a 1-1 draw when in truth Saints played a brave, expansive attacking game for most of the night and made what followed with those two sublimely headed goals so wildly enjoyable.    

BBC gave their mom to Ward-Prowse - he played so well, but Romeu would be by choice, together, as a few on this forum predicted, they put Hojbjerg and Winks into the shade.    It was incredible to see Spurs lack of appetite for the press! - they didn't apply it and they were rattled by our use of it - it was almost comical to watch their defence and midfield  slowly crumble under the pressure.    Perraud really announced himself tonight.  He added some attacking run and pinpoint crossing to his grit and passion - and with KWP continuing to demonstrate what a classy RB he is it really gives Ralph a problem deciding where to fit Livramento in.     Elynouissi - just as you're doubting he has what it takes at this level produces a game like that - particularly first half.    Armstrongs run and industry returned tonight.   Broja gave further suspicion to fears we may not be able to retain him.   Adams played his role so well.    Haven't mentioned Salisu, yet he was quietly imperious most of the game.

Those who were lucky enough to have been at the ground must be walking on air tonight.

• Like 22

Great win to wake up to, just cant watch 3.30am games on a school night these days. Enlightened and rollercoaster reading this thread.

Watched the extended highlights, pretty much as good an away performance we could expect at a top 6 side. Rode our luck a couple of times, so did they. Must have been a great game for the neutrals too.

Surprised so many thought it was a blatant foul for their 2nd goal. Looks to me like Broja just backed into their player who was already in the air before any contact was made so not a foul for me and would be annoyed if that was ever given against us. Can't post a screenie but at 69min 20secs in if you freeze the game it shows this. Broja made no attempt to challenge for the ball. All in my opinion of course. 

Sets up us nicely for Utd away, now a free hit as would have been happy for 2 points from these two tough away games. Knowing us we will beat them as well before losing to Everton 😅

Certainly feels a good vibe around the club at the moment, hope we keep that momentum going! 

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Great win to wake up to, just cant watch 3.30am games on a school night these days. Enlightened and rollercoaster reading this thread.

Watched the extended highlights, pretty much as good an away performance we could expect at a top 6 side. Rode our luck a couple of times, so did they. Must have been a great game for the neutrals too.

Surprised so many thought it was a blatant foul for their 2nd goal. Looks to me like Broja just backed into their player who was already in the air before any contact was made so not a foul for me and would be annoyed if that was ever given against us. Can't post a screenie but at 69min 20secs in if you freeze the game it shows this. Broja made no attempt to challenge for the ball. All in my opinion of course. 

Sets up us nicely for Utd away, now a free hit as would have been happy for 2 points from these two tough away games. Knowing us we will beat them as well before losing to Everton 😅

Certainly feels a good vibe around the club at the moment, hope we keep that momentum going! 

You are missing the fact that he was down with a head injury and game should have been stopped though

• Like 3

SOooooo happy with that win. Had to work whilst the game was on live...watched the full replay without knowing the score...thought after the blatant foul on Broja and the no-call / no VAR pull-back that this was going to be another travesty having dominated the game. The come from behind win was just so satisfying i can't tell you - missus had to check out why I was screaming at the screen and flicking Vs up at Spurs. So well deserved. The better team all round.

Man, I'm exhausted.

Must be the best game off the season so far from a neutrals perspective too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

You are missing the fact that he was down with a head injury and game should have been stopped though

Not of our players appealed for a foul at the time either. Bit of gamesmanship with the injury me feels, and so did the ref.

The impact was at the top of his back and then landed on his shoulder. Maybe the ref who had a good view of it thought it was not a head injury. 

VAR agreed. He played until the 90th as well so was the right call in my book. That handball call though........🤐 

Last I'll say on it and respect people who see it different. Thought it was a solid header by the defender. Good to see. Easier to say that when smashing the Spurs away :)

Edited by skintsaint

5 hours ago, nta786 said:

Just back from the game, so glad to have witnessed that live and the atmosphere for when Adams scored was pure joy, our away end erupted.

Everyone was class really, and we fully deserved the 3 points. Anything less would have been a travesty. 

Our fans were in great jovial spirits too, around 25th minute mark Spurs had a corner and we were delaying play by a minute keeping the ball, then throwing it onto pitch when Reguilon about to take it!

Also at some point in Block 118, someone got hit by a glass beer bottle and despite calls for the stewards they did nothing about it. 

After just watching highlights and Conte’s touchline antics and some foul Spurs play, as well giving it back to their “Yid army” fans, I can’t tell you how satisfying tonight was. 

One last picture to post: 

41B5D3D4-B344-4E5A-B9D7-AC0D1DAD1BEC.thumb.jpeg.21edb62a0873fc14c8d8cdf442e6be77.jpeg

Up The Saints!!!

The only negative point for me. Proper embarrassing bantersauraus type behaviour. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The only negative point for me. Proper embarrassing bantersauraus type behaviour. 

Get on the banter bus mate, at least that's better than shining phone torches. 

Wish I'd gone last night, brilliant performance against the odds, ref was giving them everything, definite foul on build up to their 2nd goal, I'll probably watch the highlights a few times today. Only criticism of the team is wasted chances, we could have scored 9. 

• Like 2

What a game!!

Something really special about this team. Even when we went 2-1 down, which felt extremely unjust, I felt we were still in it. I wasn’t expecting us to come back and win though!

You can sum up the difference in attitude from this season and the last couple by looking at left back, this team is optimised by Perraud and his bust a gut all action attitude, completely in contrast to Bertrand’s attitude where he rarely looked like he cared. It’s so evident that we have 11 players on the pitch who are giving their all, who are proud to be playing for the club and who desperately want to win, it’s so refreshing.

Bring on utd. If we can pinch a point there, getting 5 points from City/Tottenham/Utd would be utterly exceptional!!

our run after that looks favourable, could see us finish comfortably in the top half! 

• Like 1

Really proud of the team and credit where its due to Ralph lately he has managed to instill some grit and never give up mentality into the team.  I fear we are a totally different  team with broja in the the side he just offers so much that we've never had before pace skill & will to get by defenders (gets chances every single game despite some bad misses tonight) I think we will revert to the old saints when he leaves as at the.moment he's the most important  player on the team sheet & AA will never get to that level.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

To me you can argue whether Broja backing in was a foul but ref clearly saw player clatter into the back of broja’s head and broja staying down. Atrocious/dangerous of the ref not to immediately stop the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Really proud of the team and credit where its due to Ralph lately he has managed to instill some grit and never give up mentality into the team.  I fear we are a totally different  team with broja in the the side he just offers so much that we've never had before pace skill & will to get by defenders (gets chances every single game despite some bad misses tonight) I think we will revert to the old saints when he leaves as at the.moment he's the most important  player on the team sheet & AA will never get to that level.  

Always a negative. Can't help yourself can you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, so22saint said:

colleague of mine on the train from Liverpool St who loves a bet said “how about this, Saints to win, have more corners and more shotshan than Spurs in both halves - 500/1”. my reply was “no chance”. he bunged on a fiver

£2,505 now in his Skybet account 🤣

What a f**king performance

I had this on PP but was only 250/1, god damn 😂

On paper, the kind of  " pointless fixture " one expects from trips to North London, Anfield and Goodison, but not this time

and it was one for the record books,  if only for the 14 (or was it 16) shots we had in the first 45,  whilst  Spurs had just .. 2

Several shots were easier to have scored from, whilst another great attempt from Perraud - only to hit the woodwork - yet again.

Elyounoussi  took his goal like someone stealing sweets from a kid,  and Adams was on the spot for another great centre from JWP.

Can't remember when Saints last mauled an opposition side like that in an away game, with almost total domination at times.

For all their pride in their  " state of the art " stadium and with every signing in the £40 -50 million price range Spurs looked unimpressive and

they must be glad they have the likes of Kane, Son and Lloris - because the rest of their expensive squad looked " very ordinary " on the night.

A highlight for me was seeing PEH subbed off in the second half, whilst Walker-Peters made Daniel Levy cringe in watching his class performance.

Even the most die-hard Spurs fan must admit they were outclassed - and against ...." a little South Coast club "  like Southampton

Conte still has a lot of work to do, whilst Ralph will join that small, elite group of Saints managers who came away from a Spurs game with 3 points.

.....think I'll go away and watch the highlights - again.

• Like 4

You have to feel for me, I was stuck in the home end watching it and denied the opportunity to go mad when Che scored. The Spurs fans around me were so off about losing to 'shit Southampton, I mean come on fuckin Southampton at home, they're shit'. The Spurs fans don't realise what they are, they were so poor down the right side and in the middle that we had every chance of taking something from the game.

The ref was shit, he let loads of fouls go especially in the last 10 when we were leading. Still didn't stop a brilliant win. I then had to skip along to the pub listening to my couple of Spurs mates moaning about the ref, VAR, time wasting, Emerson Royal. Happy days.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

You have to feel for me, I was stuck in the home end watching it and denied the opportunity to go mad when Che scored. The Spurs fans around me were so off about losing to 'shit Southampton, I mean come on fuckin Southampton at home, they're shit'. The Spurs fans don't realise what they are, they were so poor down the right side and in the middle that we had every chance of taking something from the game.

The ref was shit, he let loads of fouls go especially in the last 10 when we were leading. Still didn't stop a brilliant win. I then had to skip along to the pub listening to my couple of Spurs mates moaning about the ref, VAR, time wasting, Emerson Royal. Happy days.

They are most deluded fans going, always have been.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Not of our players appealed for a foul at the time either. Bit of gamesmanship with the injury me feels, and so did the ref.

The impact was at the top of his back and then landed on his shoulder. Maybe the ref who had a good view of it thought it was not a head injury. 

VAR agreed. He played until the 90th as well so was the right call in my book. That handball call though........🤐 

Last I'll say on it and respect people who see it different. Thought it was a solid header by the defender. Good to see. Easier to say that when smashing the Spurs away :)

If you watch it again, Mando is down holding his head and slapping the ground in pain as soon as he hits the turf.

I just can't agree with your assessment of it I'm afraid. He wasn't backing into Royal, he was just standing his ground waiting for the ball to come down to him not realising that Royal was about to launch himself forwards to try and win it.

If the only way you can win a header is by clattering the back of an opponent's head first then it's not there to be won, and it's a foul.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If you watch it again, Mando is down holding his head and slapping the ground in pain as soon as he hits the turf.

I just can't agree with your assessment of it I'm afraid. He wasn't backing into Royal, he was just standing his ground waiting for the ball to come down to him not realising that Royal was about to launch himself forwards to try and win it.

If the only way you can win a header is by clattering the back of an opponent's head first then it's not there to be won, and it's a foul.

Yeah, it's a foul every day of the week. Royal came over him to win the ball, 99% of the time that is pulled for a foul by Royal.

And the fact it was Royal adds even more strength to it as he was awful all night and making stupid decisions, so it was rash as hell from him.

The 'attacking' phase of play thing is one of those stupid wishy washy rules that could be made to fit certain situations. If that foul wasn't in the same attacking phase then I don't know what I was watching, they scored 10 seconds after it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Always a negative. Can't help yourself can you.

probably not but if we are honest im sure everyone is thinking how we replace Broja next season if we dont manage to retain him which is more than likely. Great [adminsystemsit@equitydevelopment.co.uk
player though eh and the rest of the squad is coming together nicely. I fear for a summer of media attention trying to unsettle Salisu and JWP.

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Foul all day long and quite a violent and reckless one.

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Apparently the reason VAR didn't advise the ref to overturn it was that it was too early in the attacking phase, not that it wasn't a foul. Which is utter nonsense as they went straight up the other end and scored within ten seconds.

Anyway, doesn't matter and I'm actually glad it happened as it made the turn around possible and oh sooo much sweeter!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Get on the banter bus mate, at least that's better than shining phone torches. 

Wish I'd gone last night, brilliant performance against the odds, ref was giving them everything, definite foul on build up to their 2nd goal, I'll probably watch the highlights a few times today. Only criticism of the team is wasted chances, we could have scored 9. 

Me too, i've ever seen us be shit and lose at Spurs so would have been great to be there, probably the first game i wished i'd been at for a while to be honest if for no other reason than to throw the ball back onto the pitch.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I thought it was a foul. Broja was moving backwards and Royal was moving forwards but Broja gets a forearm smash to the back of his neck well before Royal gets his head to the ball. A classic case of man before ball and probably worth a yellow card.

Irrespective of that the ref should have stopped the game immediately if there is any suggestion of a head injury.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Me too, i've ever seen us be shit and lose at Spurs so would have been great to be there, probably the first game i wished i'd been at for a while to be honest if for no other reason than to throw the ball back onto the pitch.

Yes. Refusing to throw the ball back is just childish. I’d like to think that we were classier than that.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

I think the new owner ship has had a tangible effect on morale and hence performance. Gao was just a millstone around Saints neck. Now players can see the way ahead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So VAR didn’t award a free kick for a foul on Broja because of came too early in the move? Jesus wept, they scored because of the foul. FFS what a farce 

Yeah it was a weird one. To be honest, I think they got it wrong, knew they got it wrong, so made up any excuse to excuse their wrong doing. 

It’s amazing that something so simple as a video replay, can be royally fucked up by POGMOL. 

I can excuse on field mistakes. The pace of the game, being the man in the middle can be a really difficult job. I can also excuse a differing opinion on a foul, football is about opinions. But absolute nonsense like this is just unacceptable. It’s a farce. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Irrespective of that the ref should have stopped the game immediately if there is any suggestion of a head injury.

Not according to the very unbiased Hoddle who said the ball needs to be out of play to stop game for head injury and as there was no chance to put it out of play game carried on,  great player, shit pundit 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So VAR didn’t award a free kick for a foul on Broja because of came too early in the move? Jesus wept, they scored because of the foul. FFS what a farce 

As I understand the situation VAR can’t disallow a goal because of a foul that occurred early in a sequence of moves and I don’t think that VAR can intervene in any general fouls on the pitch unless there is a question of serious foul play. 

This situation should have been halted immediately because there had been a blow to the back of the neck. Nobody could have complained if that had happened.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

As I understand the situation VAR can’t disallow a goal because of a foul that occurred early in a sequence of moves and I don’t think that VAR can intervene in any general fouls on the pitch unless there is a question of serious foul play. 

This situation should have been halted immediately because there had been a blow to the back of the neck. Nobody could have complained if that had happened.

I got so annoyed with Hoddle at that point who didn't understand the rules and kept saying there was no chance for Spurs to kick the ball out of play. That's not the point you absolute cretin the ref should be blowing up and stopping play due to a head injury!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

This situation should have been halted immediately because there had been a blow to the back of the neck

This is the crux of the matter. Whether or not it was a foul or whether or not VAR should have intervened is irrelevant. The potential head/neck injury trumps the foul situation. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Pretty sure all of the commentators on BT (Franny and Crouch) then on MOTD (Dublin and Richards) all said that it was silly that a foul wasn’t given here. Think it was maybe Crouch (who was very pro Spurs) said that for him no way the goal should be given as that incident was absolutely key to the whole move, without that there was no move.

But yeah, that’s the rules.

Edited by The Kraken

2 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Coincidence that we have gone alot better since McCarthy been injured?  

Not for me, like quite a few others I’d been saying that Forster is the better option of the two. He’s not been flawless by any stretch but in general I think the defence as a whole has looked more secure with him behind.

To be honest though, neither should be seen as our first choice option going forwards so hopefully it gets addressed in the summer.

• Like 2