Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread

NewYorkSaint

3 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

I only went to White Hart Lane once. I was with a Spuds supporting fan so had to sit/stand with that lot. The memory fades with age so I've just had to look up the date.  6th January 1990. 3rd round of FA Cup. Final Score 1-3 with Matt Le Tiss, R.Wallace and Horne scoring. (and I couldn't jump up and down 😀) Funnily enough, my abiding memory from that game is Jimmy Case "owning" the midfield and really "putting himself about"

I'd take a 1-3 tomorrow........(I'd take a draw to be honest). Get at them early and who knows. KWP is becoming a "goal machine" and I'm sure he'd like to score against his old team.  

I was at that game as well in the away end, loads of saints up there. 
not many games stick in the memory over the years but this one does because spurs had just bought Paul Stewart for £1.7m, massive amount of money at the time, maybe the record and he was having a mare. 
the more the whole end sung ‘what a waste of money’ the more you could see his confidence drain away. Fantastic. 

I'm really looking forward to this. I just found out that my Spurs fan dad isn't going so I've got his season tickets. I've managed to arrange last minute to go with an old friend of mine who lives in Walthamstow so I can stay at hers after and not have to get a late train home. Obviously I'll have to celebrate any Saints' goals internally to avoid a potential beating, but I reckon I can manage. The only time I didn't have to hide it was when I went with my dad and Mick Channon to the game at WHL in May 2016 and Mick and I quietly, but obviously among the silent Spuds, celebrated both of Steven Davis's goals.

Tomorrow I'd go with KWP on the right and give a Tino a break. He's coming back from injury and I want him fit for Man Utd. I think KWP is plenty good enough on the left, but he's best on the right. I want him to have a cracking game against his old club, and he deserves a shot at it from his best position.  

5 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

I only went to White Hart Lane once. I was with a Spuds supporting fan so had to sit/stand with that lot. The memory fades with age so I've just had to look up the date.  6th January 1990. 3rd round of FA Cup. Final Score 1-3 with Matt Le Tiss, R.Wallace and Horne scoring. (and I couldn't jump up and down 😀) Funnily enough, my abiding memory from that game is Jimmy Case "owning" the midfield and really "putting himself about"

I'd take a 1-3 tomorrow........(I'd take a draw to be honest). Get at them early and who knows. KWP is becoming a "goal machine" and I'm sure he'd like to score against his old team.  

Was it after that game that there was trouble with Saints and Pompey fans in Covent Garden?

57 minutes ago, RogtheDodge said:

Anyone know a decent pub near the ground? I've heard it's nigh on impossible for away fans.

The Antwerp , nice pub and never had any issues in the past getting in, didn't have colours on though but was relaxed. 

• Like 1

Reading the posts above I really didn't realise quite how bad our record was there. I knew it was a bit crap but that is horrendous!

To add a slightly more merry note, I very much enjoyed the late season 2-1 win under Koeman when Steven Davis bagged a brace. 

On 07/02/2022 at 08:29, RedWillie said:

Live on BT sport 3 for those that have it.

The local pub does, I think and as there are a few Spurs supporters we should be able to see off any of the alternative games on the box. I was hoping for a dry mid-week but obviously not to be!

• Like 1

I remember the first time I went to White Hart Lane, I think it was in our second season up.-67/8

Chivers had just gone and they had some great players

I can only really remember an outstanding display by Dave Mackay who looked as if he was hewn from granite and completely controlled the game

We were completely outclassed. 

Other times happier, especially the "You're getting sacked in the morning* game against Hoddle's team when we thrashed them.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Reading the posts above I really didn't realise quite how bad our record was there. I knew it was a bit crap but that is horrendous!

To add a slightly more merry note, I very much enjoyed the late season 2-1 win under Koeman when Steven Davis bagged a brace. 

The team that Heung Min-Son has scored most against in his career is us too - 11 goals.

I think we’re also 4th or 5th in Kane’s list from memory. 

Annoying as I hate em so much but they have our number a load of times. 

You just know that the diving, cheating, crying Son will pop up with a goal. But I do think we'll score ourselves. Exciting 2-2 draw. 

Likely to match them with the 5-3-2 or a 5-4-1 so would go with

Foster

Stephens  Bednarek  Salisu

KWP                                        Perraud

Armstrong   Romeu   JWP

Redmond

Broja or Adams

The trouble is the out ball to Kane and through ball to Son is our Kryptonite performed by two players very good at it.  Teams which hit us on the break tend to prosper.

We do better when we're the ones playing on the break. Which means we need a fit Broja, a firing Adams and Armstrong/Redmond carrying the ball forward well for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coalman said:

The trouble is the out ball to Kane and through ball to Son is our Kryptonite performed by two players very good at it.  Teams which hit us on the break tend to prosper.

We do better when we're the ones playing on the break. Which means we need a fit Broja, a firing Adams and Armstrong/Redmond carrying the ball forward well for us.

I  couldn't agree more, which is why I think a back 3 or a 4-1-4-1 formation might give us a better chance. If we go with a back 3, I'd like to see Valery play as he has a decent turn of pace and played well in the home game when we were down to 10 men. 

If we go 4-1-4-1, I'd be tempted to play Romeu in front of the back 4, with S Armstrong/JWP/Diallo/Redmond in midfield and Broja (or Adams) up top.  We need to make sure Spurs can't play their preferred counter attacking style. Yes, I know; easier said than done.

I’d also be happy with Valery in a back 3 with Salisu & probably Bednarek (although i’m not a fan).

Forster

Valery   Bednarek  Salisu

KWP                                 Perraud

JWP      Romeu

Armstrong 

Broja (if fit)   Redmond

That’s probably what i’d expect dependent on Broja’s fitness.

Our 4-0 win in 2003's FA Cup third round - the goalscorers were: Michael Svensson (CB), Jo Tessem (Str), Anders Svensson (off the bench, AM), James Beattie (Striker).

The same thing will happen tonight so: CB - Salisu, Str - Adams, Elyounoussi (off the bench, AM), Armando Broja (Striker). Woo 4-0 Saints.

I'll stop smoking crack I swear. 😑 

In all seriousness we drew against them late December with Salisu sent off and Valery in CB. They only equalised with a penalty. Since then they only just beat Watford in injury time, they only just beat Leicester in injury time and they've lost a lot to Chelsea. I think we can at least get a point tonight - I'll be happy when we finally cross the 30 point threshold so every point counts right now.

Good to see that people are finally stopping the hate with Valery. Yes, he's made a few mistakes, but until this season, he was a (very attacking) full back, and has now shown flexibility to be in there on the right side of a back 3. Previously he's been called out for his defensive abilities, but looks to have really worked on that, and has been one of our better players in a few matches this season. I'd still probably prefer him at right wing back, but seeing as we have 2 other extremely good options there, if we are to go with the 3/5 at the back then he's become a decent option.

The scoreline in their last match v Brighton massively flattered Spurs.  Brighton's defence was dog dirt for some reason and the second was about as lucky a goal you'll see.  You can see Conte is slowly getting his team into shape from an attacking point of view but they still look susceptible to leaking goals.

COYS 

6 minutes ago, DT said:

So difficult to watch this one without throwing something at the screen when they start singing 'our' song. North London yobbos.

Couldn't you just kick the cat in annoyance?

With my teacher's hat on I'm now wondering about the origin of the phrase given the topicality..

• Like 2

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

They will be solid and have Kane coming back into form - tough game

Forster    

Valery    bednerak   salisu

kwp                 Romeu              Perraud    
          Jwp                    Diallo    

S.Armstrong  

Broja/che.

Che in for Broja if he’s not fit .. 

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Couldn't you just kick the cat in annoyance?

With my teacher's hat on I'm now wondering about the origin of the phrase given the topicality..

I'll save that for the West Ham cup game.

I wonder if we should set up very defensively for this game because Spurs are a counter attacking side. If we deny them the chance to break on us they might struggle to create many openings - we managed it with 10 men for a long period in the home game.  If we press too much it might play into their hands. This feels like a game where we need to get our tactics spot on. Like others would be delighted with a draw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disconnect said:

Good to see that people are finally stopping the hate with Valery. Yes, he's made a few mistakes, but until this season, he was a (very attacking) full back, and has now shown flexibility to be in there on the right side of a back 3. Previously he's been called out for his defensive abilities, but looks to have really worked on that, and has been one of our better players in a few matches this season. I'd still probably prefer him at right wing back, but seeing as we have 2 other extremely good options there, if we are to go with the 3/5 at the back then he's become a decent option.

He's improved but needs to cut out the sloppy back passes where he seems to just assume there is no forward lurking without even bothering to check.

Think the result will heavily depend on the strength of the referee - Spurs are masters of buying free kicks and cheating their way through a game. Son and Kane (always in the ref’s ear) are the prime culprits. Hate seeing it, at St Mary’s the audible screams when spurs players dived was cringeworthy.

Barring any cheap cheat goals I think we will do alright. 1-2 to Saints 🤞🤞

• Lighthouse changed the title to Spurs 2-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic