Man Utd 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Just got back. A great day out and thoroughly deserved point.

Our fans were good and really got behind the team while also giving their whining, entitled players a deserved amount of abuse. 

Romeu outstanding, best player on the pitch. Him and Ward Prowse largely bossed the midfield. Broja and Adams showed strength and guile up front and the full backs put in an incredible shift. Fair play to Forster as well for a couple of crucial saves.

Once we worked out how to stop their wide players getting behind in space we played smoothly and with confidence. There were some superb passing moves, probably the best in the second half before Armstrong blazed over. 

Thought the ref was good although should have sent Fernandes off and the penalty shout on Broja looked a good one, Maguire seemed to put hands on his back and push him over. However he gave us plenty of the type of decisions you don't always get away at a big club.

Love watching us at the moment. We are well organised, the players work hard for each other and seem to really enjoy our style of play. Long may it continue.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Shroppie said:

It was violent conduct. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to miss so should have been red. And I've seen penalties given for less than Maguire's challenge, even without the stamp. My MU friend says it was accidental but looked deliberate enough to me, so that's red too.

And Man U are complaining they're not getting VAR decisions, even the one where 5 players were offside when Ronaldo put it in the net.

Agree it should be a red. If he didn't throw a punch like a 5 year old girl he may have made contact. Probably would have gone down holding his skinny little wrist but it has to be a red. Don't hate that many players but he is vile. Skinny little rat that can only act like that on a field hiding behind ref and other players. Looks like a skag addict in a bad day

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Chez said:

right now, I'm not fussed about Tino getting in the side. I've said all along that KWP is a better defender, and going forward KWP is as good. He is tremendous form. He was dribbling past people for fun today. Tino will have to wait for his chance. Finally we are back to the days of Clyne and Chambers, if not better.

Never rated Chambers, glad Arsenal took him off us.

• Like 4

Superb game and point. Maybe harsh not to get all three, but also could just as easily got none without that late FF save.

I was one of probably many who's heart sank a little when Stephens came on. But to his credit he was very good, and did a job of repelling their balls into the box.

Everyone who played did a great job.

The lads were unbelievable yesterday including the subs. I have been critical of Fraser as much as most in the past, but since he has come in he has made some super saves which has helped us win the points. Enjoying basking in this glory of a super team.

14 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just seen a replay of Bruno's scuffle with JWP. He took a huge swing at JWP and missed. Surely even missing there was intent for violent conduct?

I saw it happen during the game but from another angle and didn't realize just how much of a swing it was.

Anyone got a link to this? I saw him push JWP but not swing at him.

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Pretty incredible that one loss in ten and in those games we’ve played city, United, West Ham and spurs twice. So five of the unbeaten ones been against the current top 7. Even the loss at Wolves could have been a draw on another day

It's great, I know every point is worth the same but it's definitely more satisfying taking them from United / Spurs etc, playing without fear against those sides gives me hope with a bit of luck we can have a good go at the FA cup 

• Like 1

Just now, Teddeer said:

Or we made them look shite 🙂

This is something even our own fans don't give us enough credit for. 

People will say "oh, xxxx team were crap against us" but often it's our tactics that force them to play badly.

A couple of other things from yesterday. A load of our fans missed the goal because they were still in the concourse. Our seats were right by the steps as you come into the stand and when we scored they all bundled up the stairs and jumped on us from behind as we celebrated. Reminded me of when we went to Newcastle and I missed Beattie's early opener because I was late leaving the pub and he scored while I was still climbing the 857 flights of stairs to the away end.

There were also people in the away end with half and half scarves ffs. Some were even adults. Also saw people filming Ronaldo on their phones. Sort yourselves out.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, trousers said:

Watching MotD... How do Man City get a penalty for that soft challenge yet we get nothing for the Maguire challenge on Broja? #inconsistentreferreeing

Should I not be surprised they didn't show or even mention the Maguire stamp? Plenty of pundits have said "penalty" - enough that it deserved an analysis.

43 minutes ago, The Cat said:

This is something even our own fans don't give us enough credit for. 

People will say "oh, xxxx team were crap against us" but often it's our tactics that force them to play badly.

A couple of other things from yesterday. A load of our fans missed the goal because they were still in the concourse. Our seats were right by the steps as you come into the stand and when we scored they all bundled up the stairs and jumped on us from behind as we celebrated. Reminded me of when we went to Newcastle and I missed Beattie's early opener because I was late leaving the pub and he scored while I was still climbing the 857 flights of stairs to the away end.

There were also people in the away end with half and half scarves ffs. Some were even adults. Also saw people filming Ronaldo on their phones. Sort yourselves out.

I always look out for those half and half Scarf/ Ronaldo video types to make sure when we score go absolutely mental celebrating knocking their phone and Scarf flying if possible 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JRM said:

I always look out for those half and half Scarf/ Ronaldo video types to make sure when we score go absolutely mental celebrating knocking their phone and Scarf flying if possible 

Yep, that definitely makes you less sad than them... ;)

13 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Although Utd were crap defending and couldn't be bothered to press or run back etc they did create chances . We can thank Perraud for covering the goal line when Ronaldo had a shot early on !

Over90 mins I expect them to create chances? We created more and should have won and would have if SA had his shooting boots on (not a criticism of SA btw).

Edited by Toadhall Saint

Was there yesterday but sat in the Stratford Stand containing myself especially when we equalised.

Our players were booed onto the pitch at the start and again at the start of the second half.  They really feel hostile.  At the end, when the Saints players went over to thank our supporters with of course our supporters in full throttle,  the Utd supporters were shouting f**k off lousy support as they were criticising their own players.

Shaw and Maguire clearly couldn’t be bothered and apparently haven’t bothered to turn up since the Euros.  Pogba just jogged up the pitch in the final throws of the game.

Meanwhile, they attacked our players mercilessly as they couldn’t get their own way because they just, well, are not very good.  What a fantastic save made by Fraser Forster with his left hand in the final throws.  

Ronaldo way, way past his best.  Expects the ball on his foot, when it did arrive he didn’t turn quick enough and our players quickly nicked it off him.  Just about summed up their day really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GarrettIvo said:

Superb game and point. Maybe harsh not to get all three, but also could just as easily got none without that late FF save.

I was one of probably many who's heart sank a little when Stephens came on. But to his credit he was very good, and did a job of repelling their balls into the box.

Everyone who played did a great job.

Just shows how strong our bench is these days

3 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Can anyone explain how XG is calculated? i see that we had an XG of 0.74 yesterday compared with >2.5 for them?

To be fair, Forster made some smart saves, one brilliant in particular.  Perraud cleared one from the line.