Saints 1-2 Newcastle- Match Thread

SNSUN

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Are you really so dim you can't see the difference between us and a team that has just instantly become the richest in the world?

What world stars did they sign?

Could we have signed better players...maybe someone better than Djenepo.  yes or no?

Just reading the Jan transfer thread, no one was proclaiming massive success for newcastle there

Edited by AlexLaw76

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Are you really so dim you can't see the difference between us and a team that has just instantly become the richest in the world?

You'll get a lot of this. People will say Eddie Howe did this and not the backing of the Saudi Government spending £100m in Jan.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

We aren't owned by a literal state with billions in disposable income...

Newcastle are going to be the new Chelsea, we should get used to losing to them.

With a bit of luck, that means sanctions and their dodgy owners having to sell the club. 

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
sp

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They got the game postponed until after the transfer window, when they had enough fit players to fulfill the fixture but didn't fancy their chances, and the players they signed in that window got their goals tonight.

Boo fucking hoo. They were missing some key players tonight and we still couldn't beat them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They got the game postponed until after the transfer window, when they had enough fit players to fulfill the fixture but didn't fancy their chances, and the players they signed in that window got their goals tonight.

They also didnt have ASmax nor Joelinton ,now that would have been a different tonight eh?..................they would have ripped our defence to shreds on tonights showing .

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Could we have signed better players...maybe someone better than Djenepo.  yes or no?

Just reading the Jan transfer thread, no one was proclaiming massive success for newcastle there

No, obviously we couldn't, otherwise we would have.

Disappointing we didn't make more of our possession and work the keeper. Some of our play was a bit predicable and it wasn't until Armstrong and Djenepo came in that we offered something different.

Personally I thought Newcastle were crap. Scored 2 quite predicable and preventable goals. We needed more pressure on the cross for the first one and were undone by an obvious trick against our zonal marking for the second.

Fuck me, their fans are utter arrogant pricks. Singing about winning the league and getting to Europe. I hope it all goes horribly wrong for them.

• Like 4

Cheating C@nts. 

It was clear that Wood wold score, as he has been soo shit, and the other goal was a great/ one in a hundred flick from another player that wasn't on their books in December,

Dint't think we.  Didn't think we were too bad, if the Adams shot was an inch lower we would have won. 

Their shit housing, muscle strain thing wound ne up no end, and friend fell for it every time.

Got a few friends  who are Newcastle fans and I have too say, with this amoral regime in charge, I hope it is at leat anther 50 years before you win another trophy. May you be the next Everton!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

My thoughts:

- Why has Ralph put the shackles on livramento?

- Watching us play triangles at the back all game is so infuriating to watch.

- Our players seem incessant on taking four or five touches everytime they touch the ball making it easy for the opposition to defend against us.

- No desire all over the pitch. That was a poor Newcastle 11, they just had more motivation to close down

- Every player (bar KWP) a 4/10 tonight

I would agree apart from the fact that I thought AArmstrong and Djenepo had far more impact in the time they were on, Broja needs a rest and kwp needs to go back to to RB and get perraud back to LB, tino not quite right at the moment either

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

Burn, Bruno, Wood, Trippier probably on current form. And then a few existing players too.

So just to recap, one player from Villa would get in our team, but you'd swap out half of our current first team for Newcastle's first team. Got it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Micky said:

Pretty rubbish to be quite honest, we may have had tons of the ball but we were absolutely toothless up top. That wasn't a bad day at the office, it smacked of the back end of last season.  Can't believe after all our whinging about them buying new players we've gone and lost it.  Our bench options today were woeful as well,  Adam Armstrong is not close to being premiere league quality, Shane Long has scored his goal this season and as for Jneppo, just why?  Everyone of those players made us weaker tonight. 

Bench was poor - no Redmond or Tella again. Though what I would say is that Adam Armstrong did more in 20 mins than Broja and Adams did all game. Got himself into decent positions, had a great chance on goal, sent two Newcastle defenders to the shops with a lovely dummy - more of this please

• Like 1

Frustrating game. Not bad as some on here would have you believe but some poor defending and just not enough cutting edge up to, de ja vu ... it does stick in the throat that Newcastle blagged to get the game called off and it's their blood money signings with the goals but we can only look at ourselves and what we need to do. 

Let's hope we can get back on track against Watford and end the season in the top half. Still lots of positives to take from the season and we are heading back in the right direction for sure.

Agree with others that Perraud should be in the side on current form. Tino still has the world at his feet and his time will come but he's not hit the same heights since his injury.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Signing someone in january is pointless for us as we will get better deals in the summer and were stuck midtable so no reason to spend big. Newcastle had to stay up and have the sort of money where £100m is pennies to them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We could have signed better players also, no?

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Rhetorical questions are definitely my favourite type of question :)

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Oh no, Their star striker scored his 4th goal of the season tonight.  How on earth did we ever have a chance!

He's not their star striker, he's their second choice after Wilson. Their second choice was £30m.

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

Burn, Bruno, Wood, Trippier probably on current form. And then a few existing players too.

Bruno over your fav JWP? Tripper (who’s not been about for last few games) over your fav Tino? Wood over your fav Adams? 

i reckon if we posed offering those 3 over our current players there, you’d laugh it off. Now it suits you though….

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So just to recap, one player from Villa would get in our team, but you'd swap out half of our current first team for Newcastle's first team. Got it.

Exactly. He’s talking shite. As per. 

• Like 1

That one hurts as it's even more frustrating that the Villa game... so tough to take and difficult to understand after a great run.
KWP, Che and Stu did alright, the rest were average at best. Most annoyed with RH tonight, should have taken Tino off (what are they doing to him...??) for Perraud and give us a natural left footer to balance the play. All wrong again.... such a pity

Edited by ButtikonSaint
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Bruno over your fav JWP? Tripper (who’s not been about for last few games) over your fav Tino? Wood over your fav Adams? 

i reckon if we posed offering those 3 over our current players there, you’d laugh it off. Now it suits you though….

A combined 11 would be a 433 so Bruno Romeu and JWP would play. Yes, Trippier is better than Tino, he's one of the best rightbacks in the world, England regular starter, and just won the spanish league. Tino is good but Trippier is next level. Wood over Broja who has been poor for a while now. He had a hot streak but has scored 1 goal and 0 assists in 8 league starts. 

Edited by TWar

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

I would take Bruno, Burn, and Trippier in a heartbeat.

Apart from the lovely flick, Bruno was pretty shit from what I watched. Gave away a few silly passes and looks very lightweight. Wouldnt have Trippier over KWP who has been our best RB and LB  this season. However I would have Burn over Bednarek, he was very impressive again and a real attacking threat

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I said three players from Villa, Martinez, Coutinho and Konsa. But yeah, more players from the newcastle team get in than Villa. Since signing some great players in jan they have more top players than Villa do.

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Apart from the lovely flick, Bruno was pretty shit from what I watched. Gave away a few silly passes and looks very lightweight. Wouldnt have Trippier over KWP who has been our best RB and LB  this season. However I would have Burn over Bednarek, he was very impressive again and a real attacking threat

I think you are very much underrating Trippier there. He is absolutely class.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

A combined 11 would be a 433 so Bruno Romeu and JWP would play. Yes, Trippier is better than Tino, he's one of the best rightbacks in the world, England regular starter, and just won the italian league. Tino is good but Trippier is next level. Wood over Broja who has been poor for a while now. He had a hot streak but has scored 1 goal and 0 assists in 8 league starts. 

Italian league!!!!!

Ralph with his stubborn head on refusing to see that we are much better with Perraud at left back, KWP right back and Tino on the bench. Tino has gone backwards and no longer makes those marauding runs and is not very good defensively. He is young and clearly has a lot to learn. He'll improve but is not worth his place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I said three players from Villa, Martinez, Coutinho and Konsa. But yeah, more players from the newcastle team get in than Villa. Since signing some great players in jan they have more top players than Villa do.

I for one am absolutely salivating at the prospect of a Chris Wood / Che Adams goal machine front line. I can see why you look at all the spreadsheets now.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Not agree that Ings and arguable Watkins, are better than our front 2?

FWIW I think of the 4 (woods, Watkins, ings, Adams and Broja) the best 2 are Ings and Broja 

Edited by Dman

Just now, Teddeer said:

Ralph with his stubborn head on refusing to see that we are much better with Perraud at left back, KWP right back and Tino on the bench. Tino has gone backwards and no longer makes those marauding runs and is not very good defensively. He is young and clearly has a lot to learn. He'll improve but is not worth his place.

I don't think tino is the issue. We were blunt up top, Broja has looked awful for a while. And Bednarek is poor defensively.

Just now, CB Fry said:

I for one am absolutely salivating at the prospect of a Chris Wood / Che Adams goal machine front line. I can see why you look at all the spreadsheets now.

Wood has got double digit goals for like 5 seasons on the bounce, we aren't too good for Wood.

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They conformed to the FA Premiere League's guidance, we may not like it but they did, cheated is nothing but sour grapes. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Honestly, what is your problem with Villa? It's weird. They clearly have much, much better quality than Newcastle and us in multiple positions. Konsa is very good, Cash, Dinge, Luiz, McGinn, Bailey, Ings, Watkins etc - really good top half PL players, I don't know why you are so against them.

They'll finish at least 6 points ahead of us in my opinion.

• Like 4

Just now, Dman said:

Not agree that Ings and arguable Watkins, are better than our front 2?

No, absolutely not, Ings has been wank most of the season as has Watkins. I think maybe Ings starts over Broja when fit, but only when fully fit which he rarely is.

17 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

My thoughts:

- Why has Ralph put the shackles on livramento?

- Watching us play triangles at the back all game is so infuriating to watch.

- Our players seem incessant on taking four or five touches everytime they touch the ball making it easy for the opposition to defend against us.

- No desire all over the pitch. That was a poor Newcastle 11, they just had more motivation to close down

- Every player (bar KWP) a 4/10 tonight

I think the plan was deliberately to be compact and create, patient chances tonight, rather than a higher intensity game.

That extended to Livramento, who seems to have had flair coached away so he fits in with the playbook/ tactic (not wholly a complaint as there are good reaosns not to lose the ball/ get caught out of position). It might also allow for KWP to be the one who's pushed up a bit more (worked a bit first half to get us going. Zip in the second)

Same thing results in the multi-touches as we realise the other team aren;t going to break their shape just because we have the ball.

I don't think it's from any lack of desire on the part of the players. That we had chances right to the end (arguably most right at the end) means that they wanted that equaliser.

I just think that the tactics have limitations (as we do with the resources we have). Working on defintie plans of attack when we have AA, Long and Djnepo on the pitch might help rahter than hoping for the best which is how it seemed at times there. Even then we had a couple of opportunities. But we weren;t hammering their goal as they did ours after they got their second.

Just now, TWar said:

No, absolutely not, Ings has been wank most of the season as has Watkins. I think maybe Ings starts over Broja when fit, but only when fully fit which he rarely is.

Form is temporary, class is permanent… as the saying goes. 

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

We aren't owned by a literal state with billions in disposable income...

Newcastle are going to be the new Chelsea, we should get used to losing to them.

I was used to losing to them when they didn't have a pot to piss in..!

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I don't think tino is the issue. We were blunt up top, Broja has looked awful for a while. And Bednarek is poor defensively.

I'm not suggesting he lost us the game merely pointing out that he is underperforming right now and Perraud deserves to be in the side based on his recent games. Many on this thread seem to agree.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bench was poor - no Redmond or Tella again. Though what I would say is that Adam Armstrong did more in 20 mins than Broja and Adams did all game. Got himself into decent positions, had a great chance on goal, sent two Newcastle defenders to the shops with a lovely dummy - more of this please

he looked sharp. Confidence coming back. He has been written off far too early.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Newcastle- Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic