Saints 1-2 Newcastle- Match Thread

SNSUN

Let's dust ourselves off, put yesterday to the back of our memories, and concentrate on the next fixture. This is the re-arranged game that the blagged off in December when they couldn't buy a point. Instead they bought a load of reinforcements. That said it is the existing players that have done the most good to their recent form. 

This is tricky to call. We hadn't had much of our run of good form in December but on paper you'd have said we would have whipped them. Now I'm not so sure, especially with that defeat yesterday lurking over us. If Ralph doesn't panic, and keeps the same team as yesterday, I still think we have enough to beat them if we can sort the defence out. KWP back in please even if there's not much we can do about the centre backs (apart from adding Valery and going 3 at the back from the start but I think that would be the wrong move).

I'm going to this game, and then the Watford game on Sunday, the first time I've made 2 games in a week since our last Championship season, so I'm excited and hoping for the best. 4 points wouldn't be a bad return from the 2. 3 points borderline acceptable - 2 or fewer would be poor. I reckon we could get 4 from both games, with a draw against Newcastle and a win against Watford.

That said, the last game I attended this season was the dreadful home game against Wolves, so perhaps I'm a bad omen... 😲

Happy Oriol Romeu GIF by Southampton FC Fuck it, Let's smash 'em.

• Like 1

Almost exactly 2 years on since we played them last game with crowds before covid. 1-0 home defeat, goal by Saint-Maximin , could well be the same again if we play like we did yesterday. Chris Wood always seems to play well against us as well, tricky combination of height / strength and pace if we're missing Salisu. 

The way they had the previous game called off leaves a bad taste and I know wound up a few at St Mary's so hopefully we're up for this. 

Has anyone explained why we have to play them on Thursday? Still 3300 Geordies filling a sold out away end apparently so will be a decent atmosphere, got to take your hat off to Howe they are on a great run and look full of confidence, clearly no relegation worries anymore. If Newcastle win they'll only be 4 points behind us with a game in hand. 

• Like 2

We needed to come back down to earth, but if ever there was a team I wanted to beat desperately this season, after their oil money takeover; and postponing of the first fixture due to a few injuries to their star players - I hope we absolutely batter Newcastle.

5-1.

Realistically I’m going for 2-2. We’re prone to counter attacks from opposition. Their defence is better but still not great and I have confidence in our attack. 
Goals in this but it’ll be who takes their chances.

Praying Salisu is back, otherwise yes, I’m worried.

Can anyone confirm if this is on TV? Amazon? Etc?

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

Should be easy. Ralph will own Howe who is a crap manager, can’t organise a defence and can’t spend money. They’ve brought a load of over priced crap when they thought they were getting Mbappe. Only Saint Maximam gets into our brilliant team. Anything less than a 5-0 win is poor result 

• Haha 3

I've seen us described as a streaky team, we can go on great runs and be the form team one min and then in the next min become the worst team in the league over the next 6 games. Let's hope we nip that description in the bud and get straight back into form on Thursday and then Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I've seen us described as a streaky team, we can go on great runs and be the form team one min and then in the next min become the worst team in the league over the next 6 games. Let's hope we nip that description in the bud and get straight back into form on Thursday and then Sunday.

Under Ralph we’ve been described as “feast or famine”, just need to hope we can feast again. 

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Almost exactly 2 years on since we played them last game with crowds before covid. 1-0 home defeat, goal by Saint-Maximin , could well be the same again if we play like we did yesterday. Chris Wood always seems to play well against us as well, tricky combination of height / strength and pace if we're missing Salisu. 

The way they had the previous game called off leaves a bad taste and I know wound up a few at St Mary's so hopefully we're up for this. 

Has anyone explained why we have to play them on Thursday? Still 3300 Geordies filling a sold out away end apparently so will be a decent atmosphere, got to take your hat off to Howe they are on a great run and look full of confidence, clearly no relegation worries anymore. If Newcastle win they'll only be 4 points behind us with a game in hand. 

Chris Wood may be a lot of things but one word I don't think you can include in his list of attributes is pace.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, waylander said:

How long is it taking to get into the ground now? Haven't been to SMS for 2yrs. Do I need to allow extra time?

Seems random depending on the kick off time, what turnstile you are going through etc. Unless there's some sort of problem it won't take more than 10 minutes whatever time you turn up.

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Chris Wood may be a lot of things but one word I don't think you can include in his list of attributes is pace.

Sorry I meant the combination of defending against Wood and Saint-Maximin 

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Surely they have no chance, right?

Howe is apparently an appalling manager, and has no chance against the mighty saints

Right?

WUM #1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Should be easy. Ralph will own Howe who is a crap manager, can’t organise a defence and can’t spend money. They’ve brought a load of over priced crap when they thought they were getting Mbappe. Only Saint Maximam gets into our brilliant team. Anything less than a 5-0 win is poor result 

WUM #2

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Leeds - Villa is on AMAZON. They are only showing re-scheduled matches that were on their original schedule.

The only reason for our game being on Thursday seems to be so it doesn't clash with champions league games, probably something to do with international TV contracts or along those lines but ridiculous whatever it is 

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

5 hours ago, nta786 said:

Under Ralph we’ve been described as “feast or famine”, just need to hope we can feast again. 

Yes, reminds me of the old nursery rhyme:

When they are good,
They are very, very good,
But when they are bad, they are absolute shite...

Okay so the last bit may have been edited.

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 6

As others have said, losing Salisu means significantly weakening our defence…Stephens and Bednarek are collectively a poor unbalanced pairing. We don’t have a left side natural CB to cover for Salisu though, so options are thin…fingers crossed he’s back. If Newcastle figure out how stifle our play like Villa did we’ll lose again… 0-2. If they give us space to play 2-1 Saints.

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Makes sense as he’s the next most “senior” defender.  

Pretty sure Olufunwa must be off in the summer.

Get that nipper Ollie Lancashire in 

• Haha 2

On 06/03/2022 at 10:02, AlexLaw76 said:

Surely they have no chance, right?

Howe is apparently an appalling manager, and has no chance against the mighty saints

Right?

Sometimes people get it wrong right?

•  

Just needs to leave the club. FFS 

To go with our 0-9 records, we have now set another - mm isn't goals conceded away in a calendar year

Go Ralph

Time for another name change?

Edited 11 December, 2021 by AlexLaw76
Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/03/2022 at 12:00, Turkish said:

Some certain people on here have a real vendetta against Howe, even to the point where they won’t accept that he’s doing a decent job on the Toon. 

Ive even seen someone suggest that At bournemouth, when it went tits up, it was all him spending the money. Now, when it goes well, it’s secret agent (not yet even employed by the club) Ashworth doing all the spending. 

Regardless of who is or isn’t spending the dosh, he’s doing a great job there and has already, almost certainly kept them up… I suspect, if you look at the points total since he came in (around the same time our fork perked up it should be said), I bet they’re not a million miles off us. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

Some certain people on here have a real vendetta against Howe, even to the point where they won’t accept that he’s doing a decent job on the Toon. 

Ive even seen someone suggest that At bournemouth, when it went tits up, it was all him spending the money. Now, when it goes well, it’s secret agent (not yet even employed by the club) Ashworth doing all the spending. 

Regardless of who is or isn’t spending the dosh, he’s doing a great job there and has already, almost certainly kept them up… I suspect, if you look at the points total since he came in (around the same time our fork perked up it should be said), I bet they’re not a million miles off us. 

The points are laughable

Did crap at Bournemouth because he cant spend money. Now only doing well at Newcastle because he spent money

Newcastle had made some crap signings, thought they were getting Mbappe etc. Now Newcastle have signed some top players

Current player praises the positive impact Howe has had. Dismissed as well they would say that wouldn't they.

It's wierd. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

The points are laughable

Did crap at Bournemouth because he cant spend money. Now only doing well at Newcastle because he spent money

Newcastle had made some crap signings, thought they were getting Mbappe etc. Now Newcastle have signed some top players

Current player praises the positive impact Howe has had. Dismissed as well they would say that wouldn't they.

It's wierd. 

Maybe, as normal with these sort of things, it's somewhere in the middle?

Did a great job at Bournemouth until the last season where it went horribly wrong and they were a very poor side who were deservedly relegated.

Is currently doing quite well at Newcastle having spent a bit of cash to strengthen the squad. 

The current payer thing though... We all know they aren't going to come out and say "we're doing well but have faced some out of form teams at a good time although it was quite embarrassing losing at home to Cambridge in the cup."

• Like 1

Think we got totally complacent against villa didn't turn up and totally underestimated the opposition.  Just our luck to be facing a very different  Newcastle a draw would be a great result! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Did a great job at Bournemouth until the last season where it went horribly wrong and they were a very poor side who were deservedly relegated.

Is currently doing quite well at Newcastle having spent a bit of cash to strengthen the squad. 

The current payer thing though... We all know they aren't going to come out and say "we're doing well but have faced some out of form teams at a good time although it was quite embarrassing losing at home to Cambridge in the cup."

Yep, did a good job at Bournemouth until his last season or so

done a decent job at Newcastle, brought players better than they have who will be good enough to for them to stay up but hardly world beaters

sadly some people are so entrenched in their view they can’t bare to saying anything positive 

44 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Well said and the way most of the more rational non red/white painted glasses wearing posters would see it. 

Reality is, Howe is doing a decent job, will probably secure them mid table and be gone within a couple of seasons for a bigger name to take the next step. 

If that coincides with the time Ralph walks, then I’d happily be open to the possibility of him coming here (proving this Trend continues). 

5 hours ago, Dman said:

I think most of us were just waiting for a decent slice of schadenfreude at seeing Newcastle go down this season and the cherry-on-top hilarity of seeing Howe get sacked for the triumphant return of Benitez. Clearly none of that's happening as he seems to have got them into gear already, credit where it's due. (Hopefully we can still laugh at Everton...)

As for their points total, I know you're not a fan of the annual table but I heard on the radio this morning that only Man City and Liverpool have had a better points total than Newcastle so far in 2022. I didn't see them as rivals for our 10th place trophy prior to this, but I would be a bit miffed if they manage to finish above us this season.

59 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I think most of us were just waiting for a decent slice of schadenfreude at seeing Newcastle go down this season and the cherry-on-top hilarity of seeing Howe get sacked for the triumphant return of Benitez. Clearly none of that's happening as he seems to have got them into gear already, credit where it's due. (Hopefully we can still laugh at Everton...)

As for their points total, I know you're not a fan of the annual table but I heard on the radio this morning that only Man City and Liverpool have had a better points total than Newcastle so far in 2022. I didn't see them as rivals for our 10th place trophy prior to this, but I would be a bit miffed if they manage to finish above us this season.

Form table (last 6 games) , Geordies are right up there 

Screenshot_20220307-221417_Gallery.jpg

Reckon this will be a crap game. They'll be nervous of Saints and after Saturday Saints will be nervous of themselves.

As a result both teams will probably dance around each other a little. Once a goal is scored then the offended team will resort to type, and the game will open up.

Dour draw I reckon, one bad game doesn't destroy a team. Saints need to use this game to reboot and get their system going.

Edited by macca155

Ralph will ask for a reaction, the players themselves will demand a reaction. Pride alone will ensure no repetition of Saturday's fiasco. This will not be like the Villa game, we will impose ourselves from the start and Toon will struggle to contain us. 2-0 to Saints is worth a £5 punt surely?

I don't understand the Howe obsession. Sure, it was more fun when he was at Bompey, but he's pretty inoffensive.

He's earned his licks. He got absolutely destroyed at Burnley, went back, did well (for a bit), and got a opportunity at a bigger club.

Me wanting Newcastle to get relegated this season was more about the effect they will have on the transfer market over the coming seasons. They will cause big trouble for clubs like Southampton. Add to that the owners that they managed to trawl up, and the new found arrogance of their fanbase, and I'd say Eddie Howe is one of the least annoying things about that club.

They are safe, thanks to the incredible run they are on. But I hope we beat they just because of the bullshit they pulled with Covid in January.

People will remember that, for years to come. They manipulated the rules and took advantage of a crisis. A scummy thing to do.......but it worked. 

Edited by LiberalCommunist

36 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I don't understand the Howe obsession. Sure, it was more fun when he was at Bompey, but he's pretty inoffensive.

He's earned his licks. He got absolutely destroyed at Burnley, went back, did well (for a bit), and got a opportunity at a bigger club.

Me wanting Newcastle to get relegated this season was more about the effect they will have on the transfer market over the coming seasons. They will cause big trouble for clubs like Southampton. Add to that the owners that they managed to trawl up, and the new found arrogance of their fanbase, and I'd say Eddie Howe is one of the least annoying things about that club.

They are safe, thanks to the incredible run they are on. But I hope we beat they just because of the bullshit they pulled with Covid in January.

People will remember that, for years to come. They manipulated the rules and took advantage of a crisis. A scummy thing to do.......but it worked. 

It's because Howe was the go to replacement for the anti-Ralph posters. Because we aren't dead bottom of the table with Ralph sacked after 15 games like some predicted then it's hard to be anti Ralph right now so being pro-Howe is a decent alternative.

The problem is it requires takes like "Newcastles turn around is due to Howe and not spending the most money in europe". But one of his players was positive about him so I guess that's the case...

Edited by TWar

37 minutes ago, TWar said:

It's because Howe was the go to replacement for the anti-Ralph posters. Because we aren't dead bottom of the table with Ralph sacked after 15 games like some predicted then it's hard to be anti Ralph right now so being pro-Howe is a decent alternative.

The problem is it requires takes like "Newcastles turn around is due to Howe and not spending the most money in europe". But one of his players was positive about him so I guess that's the case...

Another myth. 

Generally speaking, it was universally agreed on here that most wouldn't fancy Howe at the time. It was just simply that most, correctly, said he done a decent job at Bournemouth and he has continued to now do a decent job at Newcastle. 

Others, like yourself, fail to give him any credit which is just laughable really. The job he done at Bournemouth was fantastic. 

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yep, did a good job at Bournemouth until his last season or so

done a decent job at Newcastle, brought players better than they have who will be good enough to for them to stay up but hardly world beaters

sadly some people are so entrenched in their view they can’t bare to saying anything positive 

The naked truth.

I think also, you have to give credit to Howe, as he's learnt from his mistakes and he's improved. He clearly did a great job at Bompey, as a rubbish manager doesn't get them from L2 to the premier league.  However, the last few years, they got a lot wrong.  Buying the wrong players for a lot of money, and not focusing on the defence.  There is also probably the impact of coaches too.

They've focussed on being solid, and they know they have players that can cause other teams problems, i.e. Saint Maximin.

Will be a very tough game, they are the form team in the league, and haven't lost for 8 games. We will need to be at our best to beat them. I hope we get a reaction after a very poor performance at the weekend, but a lot of that will probably depend on whether Salisu and Elyounoussi are fit, which atm, looks unlikely.

I really hope we beat this lot, as cancelling their game with us because they had a few injuries was a disgrace, but then again, the system allowed that nonsense to happen.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, I think they'll be goals. 3-2 Saints.

Forster; Tino Bednarek Salisu KWP; Romeu JWP; Armstrong Elyounoussi; Adams Broja.

Assuming Sali and Moi aren't fit, probably Stephens and Redmond to come in. I assume there must be a presser tomorrow in prep for this.  Would be nice to have Tella back as an option too.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Newcastle- Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic