Saints 1-2 Newcastle- Match Thread

SNSUN

When we become ponderous in attack is usually when we stop feeding the players bombing past on the overlap. So many times there was a player running through and the player in possession stopped and went backward. We're making the runs. Just not feeding them.

Really really poor second half from us. So much for seeing a reaction from Saturday's piss poor performance. 

Personally, I think we look a lot better with KWP at RB and Perraud at LB. Need to go back to this on Sunday and bounce back from these two awful showings with a comfortable win. 

• Like 4

Perfect example of us being a 'streaky team' and nothing more really.

We have been on a good run, but now it is clear that teams have worked out how to defend against us.  It happened last year and will happen again. 

Essentially, Howe got one over Ralph (who wold have thought, eh?).  He clearly set up in a way to defend with a back 10 and very narrow.  We generally rotate the ball in the inside left/right positions.  When we give the ball away, oppositions break - quickly.

I would not be surprised if we fail to beat Watford.

I think we are taking something away from the team when we shunt Perraud out for Livramento. 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Atrocious from Saints. So little intensity for most of the game. Newcastle are a really poor side but they actually wanted to win while Saints wanted to pass the ball backwards slowly.

Six wins in the last seven games suggests otherwise. I thought they were decent today, more that than us being particularly shit. Highly annoying given the circumstances but sometimes you just gotta take it on the chin and move on.

• Like 1

Same as last season, Saints not able to break teams down who put bodies behind the ball. 

Unless teams force them to play it quickly, Saints’ build up play is so so slow and so predictable

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

Seems ironic that Newcastle will probably finish higher than us.

Have to admire them and Eddie. Newcastle fans demand it, whereas Saints .... well, we're just happy with how it is I guess.

Were the Newcastle fans not "demanding it" this time last year, and the year before that when they were terrible?

Maybe it is absolutely nothing to do with the fans at all and everything to do with them now being the richest club in the world.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Fixture congestion showing for us at the moment i think - i.e. we're lacking time to prepare between matches. Typical that in this instance it was caused by Newcastle skiving off a match so they could make new singings, and then two of their main signings score their first goals against us. I'm sure Ralph's pre match chat did nothing to motivate the Newcastle players mind...

The most galling thing was that we were not allowed to strengthen our team over the same period.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think we are taking something away from the team when we shunt Perraud out for Livramento. 

We certainly have better ballance in the side when Perraud plays. I'd personally put Livramento on the bench and keep Perraud at left and KWP at right to be honest, we played some great football with those in the side.

• Like 8

Pathetic performance. Cant deal with direct balls which we knew was their only real outlet. Apart from KWP and Armstrong, cant put a positive on anybodys performance. Broja looked disinterested, but has been pretty poor for the last number of games.

A word on Newcastle, they're making the most of what they have, but they've literally become peak Burnley. Just pumping long balls and hoping for the best....and embarassingly it worked. They didnt half waste some time with a heap of anonymous 'injuries' and Kevin Friend bought aload of nothing fouls (he was as pathetic as we were)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Six wins in the last seven games suggests otherwise. I thought they were decent today, more that than us being particularly shit. Highly annoying given the circumstances but sometimes you just gotta take it on the chin and move on.

Newcastle were a poor side. They have spent the most money in europe since then and are now no longer a poor side.

We looked to play lots of patient, passing build up, waiting for our opportunity. And in the first half we came back into it and got the goal.

But the playbook doesn;t seem to have a page on tall folk, who can head or peel away at set pieces to head across goal. That patient, passing play to get the equaliser didn't really offer much as newcastle dealt with it comfortably as they dropped back.

We had no real target man to put balls into. Djenepo looks lively with not long to go. AA also looked lively. But there wasn;t much linking them together to actually create. We did get a few nearly moments to get the equaliser - Liv's cross/shot, adams, Stu at the end. And Adamshit the bar before the break.

Just now, TWar said:

Newcastle were a poor side. They have spent the most money in europe since then and are now no longer a poor side.

Who did they buy? Dan Burn, Chris Wood, Matt Target?

I bet you would want.....NONE of them at Saints.  

Oh, they have the worlds worst manager(tm)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saints foreva said:

Really really poor second half from us. So much for seeing a reaction from Saturday's piss poor performance. 

Personally, I think we look a lot better with KWP at RB and Perraud at LB. Need to go back to this on Sunday and bounce back from these two awful showings with a comfortable win. 

Yep i agree with KWP at right back and Perraud at LB ..Is it me or do we look shit at defending corners ?

My thoughts:

- Why has Ralph put the shackles on livramento?

- Watching us play triangles at the back all game is so infuriating to watch.

- Our players seem incessant on taking four or five touches everytime they touch the ball making it easy for the opposition to defend against us.

- No desire all over the pitch. That was a poor Newcastle 11, they just had more motivation to close down

- Every player (bar KWP) a 4/10 tonight

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Who of those that they signed would you have in our starting 11?

1 minute ago, hackedoff said:

The most galling thing was that we were not allowed to strengthen our team over the same period.

Its almost like you think we're also owned by the richest sovereign wealth fund in the world... or in fact anyone with significant money to waste on a football club 🤣

Pretty rubbish to be quite honest, we may have had tons of the ball but we were absolutely toothless up top. That wasn't a bad day at the office, it smacked of the back end of last season.  Can't believe after all our whinging about them buying new players we've gone and lost it.  Our bench options today were woeful as well,  Adam Armstrong is not close to being premiere league quality, Shane Long has scored his goal this season and as for Jneppo, just why?  Everyone of those players made us weaker tonight. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

And guimares for 35m who scored the back heel goal...... for fucks sake 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Is it me or do we look shit at defending corners ?

We haven't been that bad I don't think.

The fault with the goal came in the build up as opposed to the corner it's self, we are an absolute mess outfield from 50 mins to 60 mins. They could have scored their 3rd and 4th during that spell. Salisu had an absolute nightmare, got a feeling we rushed him back as he didn't look with it.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

My thoughts:

- Why has Ralph put the shackles on livramento?

- Watching us play triangles at the back all game is so infuriating to watch.

- Our players seem incessant on taking four or five touches everytime they touch the ball making it easy for the opposition to defend against us.

- No desire all over the pitch. That was a poor Newcastle 11, they just had more motivation to close down

- Every player (bar KWP) a 4/10 tonight

S Armstrong 4/10?

• Like 1

We can moan about the cost of their reinforcements, or whether they cheated to get the original game postponed, but the fact is they were marginally better than us tonight and our defence is what lost is the game. Let’s not act like they’ve pumped a Man City-esque amount of money into their team, they’re still pretty crap, and they had a lot of their better players out still.

We had too many 6 out of 10 performances tonight, and Newcastle just wanted it more. Have we got a bit too complacent and started to believe the hype perhaps? Definitely think Salisu was rushed back too quickly for this game, almost as if Ralph was too emotional over the postponement that he couldn’t afford another repeat of the Villa result.

Shame if our season just fizzles out after the run we’ve had of late. Lose the City game and it’ll all feel rather depressing again.

2 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Back to playing slow passes with no end product. That's not us, if its not quick cutting through the lines then results go downhill.

Thats exactly what  i saw slow ponderous play with no movement, pretty much the same as saturdays defeat.I think were going backwards atm in that we dont move quick enough and pick out the right player. Still not convinced that we play a right back at left and no left back at all ? strange not as if anyone needs a rest.I just feel as afan frustrated and flat atm, the spark has gone from a good period of not being beaten,hope it comes back soon and the team can look re-energized with purpose. COYS,dont let us down lads.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Atrocious from Saints. So little intensity for most of the game. Newcastle are a really poor side but they actually wanted to win while Saints wanted to pass the ball backwards slowly.

9 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Seems ironic that Newcastle will probably finish higher than us.

Have to admire them and Eddie. Newcastle fans demand it, whereas Saints .... well, we're just happy with how it is I guess.

I got 200-1 on them getting a top 10 finish a while back

Newcastle have been a good form. They hardly got out of their own half. If we could defend a deep cross we may have won. We couldn't and then didn't have enough quality to create chances to draw level.

No complaints from me. Thought we did OK overall. Obviously we lacked a cutting edge, but there was no lack of graft. Very disappointed with the result, not the performance. 

• Like 2

Well I didn't think the overall performance was quite as bad as some here are making out. We had plenty of the ball and by the end we had had the much better chances. Newcastle, apart from the goals and that very brief spell shortly after their second, created next to nothing themselves and didn't really 'deserve' to win that. Just fucking typical that it would be the new signings who got the goals for them, but we weren't terrible by any means.

I echo what others are saying about Tino. He looks jaded and when we have a decent LB available, KWP would be a much better option on the right.

Broja blows hot and cold, and he's currently blowing cold. Didn't get into this game at all. A Armstrong improved our attacking play whenh he replaced him.

On another day, Che's volley goes in and Salisu's header doesn't get saved, and we win 3-2 having had the better of the play. Just one of those things really.

Some of you need to have a serious word with yourselves about your catastrophic bed-wetting.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I would take Bruno, Burn, and Trippier in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, Micky said:

How have they cheated? They came and did a job on us. 

They got the game postponed until after the transfer window, when they had enough fit players to fulfill the fixture but didn't fancy their chances, and the players they signed in that window got their goals tonight.

• Like 6

Just now, Chez said:

Newcastle have been a good form. They hardly got out of their own half. If we could defend a deep cross we may have won. We couldn't and then didn't have enough quality to create chances to draw level.

No complaints from me. Thought we did OK overall. Obviously we lacked a cutting edge, but there was no lack of graft. Very disappointed with the result, not the performance. 

First half was better than the second for me, I thought our efforts in the second half were really, really poor. Huff and puff and we had a period where we were abject and Newcastle were all over us. We didn't seem to come out in the second half with any real belief, the best chances came on 90 mins plus.

Agree we played ok first half and had some really good chances, but the second half was a really really poor showing for me.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

They got the game postponed until after the transfer window, when they had enough fit players to fulfill the fixture but didn't fancy their chances, and the players they signed in that window got their goals tonight.

We could have signed better players also, no?

I remember a couple of easy saves for the Newcastle 'keeper in the last 5 minutes but I'm hard pushed to remember any sort of pressure on their goal for the rest of the 2nd half. Mulitiple short passes 50 yards from goal is too easy to defend.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

We could have signed better players also, no?

We aren't owned by a literal state with billions in disposable income...

Newcastle are going to be the new Chelsea, we should get used to losing to them.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Newcastle- Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic