Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread

John Boy Saint

58 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Do you actually have any idea how much of a sad little twat your relentless vendetta against TWar makes you look like?

I realise it doesn't cover me in glory either so I am making a conscious effort not to take the bait anymore. Cant always promise it'll work as I am an easy mark but I'll do my best!

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

Last week when the 4th goal went in, Forster thumped the ball into row HH. He was an angry man who doesn't like conceding goals. No surprise that he meant business yesterday. Great performance, well done big man.

I'm not sure about the change to a more passive approach. We'll see more draws that way I suspect. I don't think that was the major factor yesterday. The changes in defence were the bedrock for that performance. 

Lyanco was put in the middle of the defense. He had experience on one side, pace on the other. That meant we had cover what a difference. He is fast becoming one of my favourites.

KWP did a great job at RB. He stifled Saka (what a player) to the point where he swapped sides. Waste of time as Perraud was an equal match.

I also thought Long and Redmond were great when they came on. Long is so experienced  he immediately became a bloody nuisance. Redmond got stuck in like a man who wants to force his way back in the side.

However, probably best not to get carried away. Arsenal had the majority of possession and looked dangerous. Going to be a very different game on Thursday. Let's see how they adapt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Do you actually have any idea how much of a sad little twat your relentless vendetta against TWar makes you look like?

34 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m just here to call out the bullshit buddy. He just says a lot of it. 

Live by the sword and all that. Act like a know it all, expect to be shot down when proven you don’t. 

I'll take that as a "no" then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It takes two.
If you make matter of fact comments, then expect to be shot down when those facts are incorrect or made up.

But to Have a view point that’s different to someone else is completely different .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Appy said:

The booing of Cedric was a bit weird wasn’t it? 

What’s he done to warrant that? 

I agree, he didn't leave under bad circumstances and he was here and part of some great times for the club, he looked a bit gutted first time he came over to Northam / Kingsland corner and realised he was being booed 

Also "he's our Cedric" to the tune of she's electric is one of the few decent original songs we've had 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Appy said:

It's odd, I don't think he was much cop but he never did anything drastically wrong and I can't remember him throwing his toys out. Didn't leave under a cloud and that move allowed us to bring in KWP, can't complain about that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

It takes two.
If you make matter of fact comments, then expect to be shot down when those facts are incorrect or made up.

But to Have a view point that’s different to someone else is completely different .

I give my opinions, sometimes backed up by facts. Sometimes the opinion may be wrong, although I stand by we should have signed a first choice cb rather than a rotation option who plays his best football in a system we rarely use, but they are all just opinions.

41 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

It takes two.

TWar may have some 'interesting' takes on things, which he will sometimes go to great lengths to defend, but I don't see him constantly sniping and using any possible excuse to have a dig at another poster like Dman does. It's a very unhealthy and tiresome obsession he has.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

TWar may have some 'interesting' takes on things, which he will sometimes go to great lengths to defend, but I don't see him constantly sniping and using any possible excuse to have a dig at another poster like Dman does. It's a very unhealthy and tiresome obsession he has.

Broja is always mentioned without reason.

27 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's odd, I don't think he was much cop but he never did anything drastically wrong and I can't remember him throwing his toys out. Didn't leave under a cloud and that move allowed us to bring in KWP, can't complain about that.

Agree, was very strange. He did a decent job and played in some big games for us. It was only the last season or so when he dropped off and looked disinterested.

Fans are weird, they would sing and clap for Oxlade Chamberlain and Walcott when they were at Arsenal yet both of them barely played for the first team. Then they boo a player who made over 100 first team appearances, played in a cup final, Europe and helped us finish 6th.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Appy said:

I thought the same.

Was funny when it definitely goaded him into shooting from a ridiculous angle with a free-kick and ballooning it over the bar though.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

34 minutes ago, TWar said:

I give my opinions, sometimes backed up by facts. Sometimes the opinion may be wrong, although I stand by we should have signed a first choice cb rather than a rotation option who plays his best football in a system we rarely use, but they are all just opinions.

Is it a fact that Adam’s has scored 2 goals since 25th Feb ? Or that Woods release clause to Newcastle was £30m ?

I could go on.

Regarding  your views on Ralph, Broja and 4222, that’s different as it’s your view and not mine . Things change and so do views but you don’t ever adjust your view.

7 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Agree, was very strange. He did a decent job and played in some big games for us. It was only the last season or so when he dropped off and looked disinterested.

Fans are weird, they would sing and clap for Oxlade Chamberlain and Walcott when they were at Arsenal yet both of them barely played for the first team. Then they boo a player who made over 100 first team appearances, played in a cup final, Europe and helped us finish 6th.

Very good of Cedric to mess up his corners and crosses for us, I thought :)

29 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Spot on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Appy said:

I thought that all came about after, I think Broja, had contact with the Arsenal defender, both hit the deck ref gave the foul to Arsenal as the defender writhed about like he had been taken out by a couple of rounds from the Sniper up in the floodlights. Cedric crossed the pitch to tell Mr Banks in uncertain terms that he had to show Armando every card he had in his pocket - and have him burned at the stake for good measure.

15 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I thought that all came about after, I think Broja, had contact with the Arsenal defender, both hit the deck ref gave the foul to Arsenal as the defender writhed about like he had been taken out by a couple of rounds from the Sniper up in the floodlights. Cedric crossed the pitch to tell Mr Banks in uncertain terms that he had to show Armando every card he had in his pocket - and have him burned at the stake for good measure.

Think that was Ben White

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Broja is always mentioned without reason.

So weird to mention the center forward who hasn't scored in months after a loss where he barely touched the ball.

What possible reason could someone do for doing that?

Edited by TWar

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Is it a fact that Adam’s has scored 2 goals since 25th Feb ? Or that Woods release clause to Newcastle was £30m ?

I could go on.

Regarding  your views on Ralph, Broja and 4222, that’s different as it’s your view and not mine . Things change and so do views but you don’t ever adjust your view.

I frequently adjust my view, you just have to look at the Forster thread for that. I don't get yours and DMans grudge against me. I have a different opinion to you, dunno why that annoys you so.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Shane long makes running in front of his man and making contact into an art form.

Seriously having that skill alone helps our game management, he is by far the slyest player in our camp for winning free kicks easily.

I love it.

Just imagine all the things he does well, and add some goals to it. >sigh<

He got or nearly got double figures one year I think. But it was a while back. Still I hope someone else can pick up on being a pain to play against, when he goes. I'd really useful to have.

39 minutes ago, TWar said:

I frequently adjust my view, you just have to look at the Forster thread for that. I don't get yours and DMans grudge against me. I have a different opinion to you, dunno why that annoys you so.

For what it’s worth I don’t have a problem with your contribution, all I would say you could be the bigger person and walk away from the pettiness and the baiting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

For what it’s worth I don’t have a problem with your contribution, all I would say you could be the bigger person and walk away from the pettiness and the baiting. 

Yeah 100% agree with that, I'm really bad at just letting shit lie, especially when it comes with direct insults. I'm pretty sure it's one of the main reasons people like DMan glommed on to me, easy target for pointless bullshit.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Read what I wrote again, I don’t have a problem with your opinion, it’s healthy to have and understand different views.

Like I said above, it’s when you make statements as if fact and there not.

Besides that, Broja didn’t score or make an assist yesterday, does that mean you think he didn’t play well ?

Edited by Sarisbury Saint
  • Like 1

Winning ugly is something we just don't do, so happy to see that yesterday after the week before.  But I wouldn't want to watch it very often.

Thought Moi was excellent today and Fraser massive (in every sense).  We were amazing without the ball, very organised and solid.  But we had so little of the ball it's hard to be too excited.

The booing of Cedric seemed to appear part way through the game (to my ears).  Not sure why it happened but agree it was a bit sad to hear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

Winning ugly is something we just don't do, so happy to see that yesterday after the week before.  But I wouldn't want to watch it very often.

Thought Moi was excellent today and Fraser massive (in every sense).  We were amazing without the ball, very organised and solid.  But we had so little of the ball it's hard to be too excited.

The booing of Cedric seemed to appear part way through the game (to my ears).  Not sure why it happened but agree it was a bit sad to hear.

Agreed. My heart says that I want to watch us beating teams by playing the way we did at Tottenham but my head says that yesterday’s effort was exactly what we needed at the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Agreed. My heart says that I want to watch us beating teams by playing the way we did at Tottenham but my head says that yesterday’s effort was exactly what we needed at the time.

It was exactly the response needed after the Chelsea debacle.    As was the change in formation and the retreat from the press and high line.  Very impressed with both KWP and Perraud - KWP sacrificed his wing-back attacking style and Perraud showed again he has grit, skill and defensive nous.   Lyanco was impressive all game and he helped to settle Valery after early mistakes - Bednarek was better, and I love the comment someone made about how surprised he looks after he scores a goal, as if he can't believe he's scored.    Elyounoussi has received justifiable stick lately but was much better today.   Playing three C/Bs certainly made it easier for Romeu and JWP, although you'd have to say the Arsenal attack carried nothing like the threat of Chelseas' the week before.     And then there is Forster; I'm one of those who think he should move on and not be given a new contract but he was immense again today.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Appy said:

From what I could see around where I stand it was mostly teenagers and the toothless skate obsessed mongs that were booing. Any excuse for that sort to hate on..well anything, really. 

• Confused 1

It might be just me but I thought Redmond was a bloody disgrace when he came on. A couple of times we were looking to break out of defence and instead of busting a gut to offer support he was ambling around, nowhere to be seen. Contrast that with Long charging down Ramsdale right at the end and you have the attitude and mindset of the two players summed up.

I hope someone buys him in the summer and we can get rid.

Edited by beatlesaint

23 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Didn't he win the Euros with Portugal?  He was good enough to play for his nation.

• Like 1

Based on his time here and against our other right-backs of the Premier League era, I'd rate him fourth:

KWP - Clyne - Livramento - Cedric - Chambers - Martina - Pied 

And there were occasions during Cedric's time here under Koeman when he was benched for Martina.

Overall, he did a solid, yet unspectacular job here and Saturday showed that he certainly isn't good enough for Arsenal, as he can't hit a cross for love nor money. Then there were the back post incidents here due to his height... So, he had faults both going forward and defensively during his Southampton career. It was a case of he's doing a job, but we could certainly do better.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Based on his time here and against our other right-backs of the Premier League era, I'd rate him fourth:

KWP - Clyne - Livramento - Cedric - Chambers - Martina - Pied 

And there were occasions during Cedric's time here under Koeman when he was benched for Martina.

Overall, he did a solid, yet unspectacular job here and Saturday showed that he certainly isn't good enough for Arsenal, as he can't hit a cross for love nor money. Then there were the back post incidents here due to his height... So, he had faults both going forward and defensively during his Southampton career. It was a case of he's doing a job, but we could certainly do better.

I always wondered what Martina had on Koeman, so did the Everton fans when he turned up there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve green said:

I always wondered what Martina had on Koeman, so did the Everton fans when he turned up there.

If I remember correctly, we bought him from FC Twente who had continuous financial problems for a fee of around £1m. This sometimes happens when a manager owes a favour to another club.

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Martina was first choice for a while, Cedric was appalling for us at times. Rubbish player. Doesn’t deserve booing though. 

Scored at Fratton Park and one goal that sent us to Wembley, should give him a free pass forever. 

• Like 2

As I predicted we would be very solid and get one goal to decide the game. Fraser Forster was absolutely sensational on Saturday :) Three world class saves. My MOTM. Pleased for Jan to grab a goal, he looked very assured alongside Valery and Lyanco who is a class apart in my opinion. So love his passion and his fist pumping to the Northam :) KWP, Perraud, Prowsey and Romeu all great as usual. Stuart Armstrong and Moi very good who did great for the assist to Jan. Broja worked hard and made some good contributions. Long and Redmond contributions late on were great too :) onto Thursday and hopefully three more points and back into the top ten - COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

Can anyone explain why Arsenal’s Saka wasn’t given at least a yellow card for grappling Bednarek at a corner kick in order to obstruct his defending?  It was barefaced cheating and was so deliberately done thst if appeared to be a manoeuvre that had been practiced on the training ground. As such it should have been punished with a sending-off.