Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread

John Boy Saint

As our Nige would say draw a blue line under it and move on 

Well I have exhausted my supply of lucky underpants - so I guess I had better find a new pair. But now I’ve corrupted that idea with hopefully starting the next match thread.

Here we have another game where the visitors will be smarting from a couple of wrong results - we just have to hope that we are smarting enough from a home humbling to put on a performance we know is lurking beneath the surface 

Arsenal ain't got a chance.  Our lot will be champing at the bit to put right the wrongs of the Chelsea game, and to prove what great professionals they are.  With our free flowing play and deadly strike force I can see only an easy Saints win.  Saints 5 Arsenal 0.

• Haha 2

I’d bring Stephens in for this, yes he has his limitations but at least he seems to actually give a shit.

Redmond in for Moi as well. Perraud at LB, KWP at RB. Hopefully Ralph doesn’t think Smallbone, AA or Long should be starting.

• Like 8

Just seen the goals, what an utter shitshow that was.

Drop Bednarek altogether, useless, weak, bang average. Salisu was poor too but I’d rather keep him in over JB.

Forster; KWP, Valery, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud; JWP, Romeu, Diallo; Adams, Broja

Bring in Valery, he is unpredictable at CB but I’d rather have him over predictably poor JB. Wing backs playing on their correct sides. Spine of a midfield to match Arsenal. Two up top. If we need more creativity we have Moi, Stu, AA and Redmond on the bench.

Go strong with five at the back and a spine across midfield and we might keep it under five goals.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 3

Arteta after yesterday's defeat:

"We didn’t show enough purpose, speed, momentum, we didn’t generate anything that we wanted to do....please let our next match be against Southampton.......please let our next match be against Southampton.......please let our next match be against Southampton..."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Who has not scored in an age for Arsenal?

put a cheeky 5er on them to get 1

Lacazette… Only has 2 goals in 17 PL games and both were penalties.

In fact, would anyone like to guess who he last scored against from open play? :D

Edited by nta786
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:Bring in Valery, he is unpredictable at CB but I’d rather have him over predictably poor JB. .

I thought when Valery came on he looked like he was the only one thinking about the job at hand  - actually the last few times he has stepped into the back line he hasn’t looked any worse than what was already there. He also looks like he has filled out a bit.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I thought when Valery came on he looked like he was the only one thinking about the job at hand  - actually the last few times he has stepped into the back line he hasn’t looked any worse than what was already there. He also looks like he has filled out a bit.

I thought that. He also appeared to be giving Salisu a well deserved bollocking.

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

"He hasn't looked any worse than what was already there" 

Not sure if that's a compliment.

But agree I don't worry as much as I used to when seeing his name, much better at cb than he is at rb 

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

Lacazette… Only has 2 goals in 17 PL games and both were penalties.

In fact, would anyone like to guess who he last scored against from open play? :D

You can double up by predicting when he will get his next goal….

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You can double up by predicting when he will get his next goal….

Dragged him into my fantasy team this week ahead of the double game week, especially the game against us. Feels wrong, but there's points at stake. 

10 hours ago, bpsaint said:

I’d bring Stephens in for this, yes he has his limitations but at least he seems to actually give a shit.

Redmond in for Moi as well. Perraud at LB, KWP at RB. Hopefully Ralph doesn’t think Smallbone, AA or Long should be starting.

Plus three ar the back with Valery in. As you say need players who give a shit 

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Drop Bednarek altogether, useless, weak, bang average. Salisu was poor too but I’d rather keep him in over JB.

Not to defend Bednarek, but Salisu was worse than "poor too", he was absolute shit yesterday, much worse than JB (and everyone else). Of the two I'd drop him.

Maybe a back 3 of Bednarek, Stephens and Valery?

• Like 3

On 10/04/2022 at 01:19, OttawaSaint said:

I feel about as interested in this game as the players did in today's game...

yes agree and i have a ticket. May give it a swerve and something that i may enjoy. Although that will ultimately mean we play well and get something out of it.

Strangely optimistic of a result here. Arsenal are the type of team who we can cause problems if we press well. 

It cannot be as bad as the last game. 

1-1 I’m going for. Broja and Perrud coming in for Tino and Armstrong. Maybe Redmond or Tella for Moi

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

We'll improve but lose. 0-2. 

Arsenal have too much to play for and too much quality for us when we're below 100% effort levels. 

Ralph will probably respond by picking dross ike Valery and Smallbone or Long. 

I'd go:

Forster

KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu Diallo

Armstrong Broja Tella

I almost agree (I had Redmond instead of Tella, but either would fit)

We wont see that, or anything like that.  It will 442 (or even 4 diamond 2, noting what he tried at Leeds).

Either way, we will surrender the middle of the park and push really high.  We are not in the right form to cater for that.

For me, injuries allowing, I’d go:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu

Armstrong Redmond Elyounoussi 

Broja

We haven’t created decent opportunity in gods knows how long so there’s really no point having two strikers on the pitch when they barely get a touch of the ball.

Would even think about throwing in Diallo possibly at CDM considering Romeu and JWP (Leeds free-kick aside) have been pretty poor recently.

Can’t see us getting anything for this no matter who plays though to be honest.

Edited by Nemi

On 10/04/2022 at 08:21, bpsaint said:

Tbf, when he came on he showed more in his short spell than Moi did throughout the match (not saying much I know) !

3 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Arsenal have too much to play for and too much quality for us when we're below 100% effort levels. 

Ralph will probably respond by picking dross ike Valery and Smallbone or Long. 

I'd go:

Forster

KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu Diallo

Armstrong Broja Tella

Not Adam Armstrong I hope ?

Does anyone know why they are allowed to show Liverpool v Man City in the FA Cup semi final at 3.30pm live on BBC on Saturday? 

There used to be a rule against showing games between 3pm - 5pm on a Saturday, perhaps they've been allowed as lower leagues are mostly playing on good Friday. 

I might ask Saints if they can show it on the big screens so we can have something to keep us entertained if it all goes wrong again

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

Does anyone know why they are allowed to show Liverpool v Man City in the FA Cup semi final at 3.30pm live on BBC on Saturday? 

There used to be a rule against showing games between 3pm - 5pm on a Saturday, perhaps they've been allowed as lower leagues are mostly playing on good Friday. 

I might ask Saints if they can show it on the big screens so we can have something to keep us entertained if it all goes wrong again

Looks like Good Friday has a full schedule for the EFL and the National League so its not a normal Saturday. Interesting that the 3pm Prem games still happening though.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

It is so that when we’re 4 down after 20 minutes again this Saturday and all leave, we can have something to watch immediately when we get back to the pub 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Looks like Good Friday has a full schedule for the EFL and the National League so its not a normal Saturday. Interesting that the 3pm Prem games still happening though.

Been that way for a while in the EFL games on Good Friday and Easter Monday - Donkeys years ago in the days of Nick Holmes in the old money 1st division pretty certain we played Friday then Monday over Easter.

That cup game could well be due to the furore about both Liverpool and City fans not being able to use the railways to get to the game due to engineering - The FA were getting serious stick over it from all quarters - don't even know what time it was originally scheduled - to guess if 3:30 is a bit of a concession from the FA  

9 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Been that way for a while in the EFL games on Good Friday and Easter Monday - Donkeys years ago in the days of Nick Holmes in the old money 1st division pretty certain we played Friday then Monday over Easter.

That cup game could well be due to the furore about both Liverpool and City fans not being able to use the railways to get to the game due to engineering - The FA were getting serious stick over it from all quarters - don't even know what time it was originally scheduled - to guess if 3:30 is a bit of a concession from the FA  

Wasn’t that long ago and we’d be playing on the Saturday and Easter Monday. Seems that tradition might have come to and end now?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

In 78-79 we played West Brom at home on Good Friday, Chelsea away on the Saturday and Spurs at home on Easter Monday (3-3 draw after being 3-0 up). I think that was the last time we played on three out of the four days over Easter.

11 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Wasn’t that long ago and we’d be playing on the Saturday and Easter Monday. Seems that tradition might have come to and end now?

Cricky these new bread millionaire wont have any of that dont you know.

22 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I think you're right. There's no way the BBC would have wanted that game on at 3:30 in the afternoon - they'd have wanted a 5ish kick off to maximise viewers. So definitely a concession (rather than just play the bloody game at Old Trafford).

11 hours ago, adriansfc said:

They had a lot to play for against Brighton but that didn't work out too well.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic