Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread

John Boy Saint

Think we all know, or at least expect that this will be another heavy defeat. 4 of the last 5 league games have been dreadful (leeds being the exception). Our so called players have not been doing the jobs that they are very well paid for, and really do not seem to care. As always I will be there, but am looking forward to the prematch beers with friends rather than the match. As someone else has already said, if we perform as badly this time at least we can all f off back to the pub and watch the cup game, that way we get to see some football being played. 

49 minutes ago, Verwood Saint said:

Seems to me that turning up on Saturday wearing our best beachwear would be an ideal way of supporting the team as they have been 'on the beach' for a weeks now!  

Maybe we should all bring blow beach balls - and when it starts going wrong we blow them up and ping them about whilst singing “we’re on the beach” 🤪

On 10/04/2022 at 10:37, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just seen the goals, what an utter shitshow that was.

Drop Bednarek altogether, useless, weak, bang average. Salisu was poor too but I’d rather keep him in over JB.

Forster; KWP, Valery, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud; JWP, Romeu, Diallo; Adams, Broja

Bring in Valery, he is unpredictable at CB but I’d rather have him over predictably poor JB. Wing backs playing on their correct sides. Spine of a midfield to match Arsenal. Two up top. If we need more creativity we have Moi, Stu, AA and Redmond on the bench.

Go strong with five at the back and a spine across midfield and we might keep it under five goals.

Most of our issues against the top six are two up front apart from weird personnel position choices …

• Like 2

Lucky Arsenal, they need a win and who they got next? Us! Perfect time for them to rediscover their form.

Seriously though, if we play like we did against Chelsea we will again get pumped hard.

Feel like though we may give a better performance, going for a 2-2. AA double (If I keep saying it surely must come true).

12 hours ago, captainchris said:

Most of our issues against the top six are two up front apart from weird personnel position choices …

It really, really puzzles me that just when players and combinations show a bit of form and success they get dropped out of sight for weeks. and when they do come back they are a little match rusty, defensively we were going through a pretty good spell. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Remember Boxing Day (26th December, as it is every year) in 2015 when we were absolute sh*te for a month and pulled a 4-0 win out of nowhere? I’d take that.

DMmKzK5W0AAhMLK.jpg

The Arsenal forum were laughing about that, saying how typical that they were the only team to lose to us in that period.

36 minutes ago, nta786 said:

DMmKzK5W0AAhMLK.jpg

The Arsenal forum were laughing about that, saying how typical that they were the only team to lose to us in that period.

Considering the crazy good squad we had at the time that's a pretty laughable set of results.

Was that the same season we went on the stupid run of form at the end and won a crap load of games?

Maybe it's not just Hasenhuttl teams who go on good and bad runs of form. 

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Considering the crazy good squad we had at the time that's a pretty laughable set of results.

Was that the same season we went on the stupid run of form at the end and won a crap load of games?

Maybe it's not just Hasenhuttl teams who go on good and bad runs of form. 

Don’t forget, Mané and Pellè didn’t do winter whilst they were here.

On 12/04/2022 at 18:52, Dr Who? said:

I’m looking for a reaction from that shocking performance last Saturday 1-1. 

Don’t hold your breath, we’re still waiting on the reaction to the 0-4 defeat at Villa that Ralph promised us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fanimal said:

Has to be FF

KWP Valery Stephens Perraud 

Redmond JWP OR Tella

Broja Adams 

Is that you Ralph? Same formation as always. Haven’t you learnt anything?

With our squad two up front is suicide…. Particularly against the better teams…

It’s going to be another mauling and anything better than 0-4 likely to be chalked up as a success by Ralph and his team of also rans. Sorry, not feeling terribly positive about SFC of late and I’m not sure whether it’s the Manager or the players or both.

Tactically I’m bored watching the same old moves resulting in the same old mistakes. I’m frustrated at the % of JWP’s backward or sideways passing and his inability to find a Saints player with one of his hailed corners. I’m tired of trying to understand why KWP plays LB rather than Perraud. Can’t justify the expense of renewing the ST this season, but at least I’ll miss it less the way things are going.😔

• Like 2

Hard to see any change in fortunes this weekend, last week's thrashing came at the wrong part of the season when everything is winding down and weariness may be setting in. There is little to play for, final position in the league table is important to the club of course but it seems to me that players are unlikely to respond to that as a motivational goal except maybe the captain but there's not that much he can do on his own.

One suspects most players are now more concerned about their personal positions going into the summer break with next season and contracts in mind. Some will be moved on, others maybe will want to move on but many minds will be distracted.

For these reasons, I am expecting more of the same with a little better organisation at the back, maybe Lyanco in for one of the other two CBs and Tina on the bench with Perraud coming in. Not enough to prevent a 0-3 drubbing though.

15 hours ago, fanimal said:

Has to be FF

KWP Valery Stephens Perraud 

Redmond JWP OR Tella

Broja Adams 

You obviously are seeking the notoriety of a double digit defeat, I guess at least they won’t have to keep talking about the 9 nills. Out of interest, if Redmond is the answer then what is the question? 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

0-6 last time out, another heavy defeat predicted by some this weekend, hasn't stopped it selling out.

Surely there has to be a reaction to last week.......

Sell outs are a funny old thing, there always appears thousands of empty seats. 

24 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Sell outs are a funny old thing, there always appears thousands of empty seats. 

Just because the seat has been sold doesn't necessarily mean that someone will be sitting in it for all sorts of reasons.

I Think "thousands" is stretching it a bit far.

I tested positive today so won’t be going went to put up my ticket for resale and unless these paracetamol are hallucegenic there are home fixtures for next season!

Home Games 22/23 - Match 1 - Southampton vs AFC Bournemouth

15:00

Home Games 22/23 - Match 2 - Southampton vs Arsenal

Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

0-6 last time out, another heavy defeat predicted by some this weekend, hasn't stopped it selling out.

Surely there has to be a reaction to last week.......

It was sold out before the Chelsea game, like at Christmas people seem to like these games, something to do I suppose 

It sure how two up front is suicidal given it worked fine when we went on a winning streak 

Sally Sue has gone right off as has Jan after reports half of Europe want them so the othe Jan and Jack can do no worse and at least the two Nathan’s will give us pace and workfare unlike last Saturday’s embarrassment 

1 hour ago, fanimal said:

It sure how two up front is suicidal given it worked fine when we went on a winning streak 

Sally Sue has gone right off as has Jan after reports half of Europe want them so the othe Jan and Jack can do no worse and at least the two Nathan’s will give us pace and workfare unlike last Saturday’s embarrassment 

Because other teams have sussed us out by overloading us in central midfield. Our losing streak started with Villa out playing us with 3 in the middle including Coutinho and it has carried on since. To counteract being overloaded in CM we have to sacrifice one up front. 

• Like 1

Got to play tighter and harder to get through…

Forster

KWP.      Stephens.     Bednarek.     Salisu.   Peraud. 

Armstrong.   JWP.  Romeu.   Moi.   

Broja.   

Play difficult to get through, play on the break with KWP and Peraud getting forward with their pace, playing in Broja through a stretched Arsenal high defensive line 🤞🤞

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

Lots of green initiatives this weekend! Hopefully we can propel up the sustainability table 👌

What is this nonsense. I'll make sure I run the taps for longer than usual in the toilets and put my food waste in the recycling bin , probably treat myself to a taxi down the ground to add more to my usual carbon footprint 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

I tested positive today so won’t be going went to put up my ticket for resale and unless these paracetamol are hallucegenic there are home fixtures for next season!

Did I miss something?

Might pop some money on our opening 2 games. Weird as Bournemouth are not even up yet! 

17 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Did I miss something?

Odd, and absolute bullshit. As our closest club we'd be "paired" with Bournemouth, and absolutely no chance that game would be on the opening weekend.

Can't trust nuffink these days 

No bullshit from me click on game below sign in

Home Games 22/23 - Match 4 - Southampton vs Brentford

CALENDAR

Select All

Edited by Give it to Ron
Added links

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic