Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread

John Boy Saint

Arsenal have had a rubbish last couple of games as well so it won't just be Saints who will be getting told they need to step up, plus there is still a faint glimmer of 4th place for them. I am expecting a lose, be happy with a draw and bloody delighted with a win. All bases covered. COYS

On 14/04/2022 at 19:18, vectraman said:

Got to play tighter and harder to get through…

Forster

KWP.      Stephens.     Bednarek.     Salisu.   Peraud. 

Armstrong.   JWP.  Romeu.   Moi.   

Broja.   

Play difficult to get through, play on the break with KWP and Peraud getting forward with their pace, playing in Broja through a stretched Arsenal high defensive line 🤞🤞

100% agree 

Forster

Broja.   

Play difficult to get through, play on the break with KWP and Peraud getting forward with their pace, playing in Broja through a stretched Arsenal high defensive line 🤞🤞

Except Redmond instead of Moi , but I’d go for this line up and formation.

Or I’d go for a 4411 formation like we did when we drew at home to Man City

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Here what I think it will be.

Forster

Livramento

Stephens

Salisu

KwP

Armstrong

Romeu

JwP

Tella

Adams

Broja

I think you could be right.... although I would prefer Perraud at LB, KWP at RB and Toni pushed up.

Forster

Broja.   

This would be my lineup up too. Being solid and hitting them on the counter would be the way to go. 1-0 to us Broja - COYR :)

• Like 1

Forster

Broja.   

This would be the best setup to get something from the game but instruct the defence not to overcommit in the first half. Broja Armstrong and Moi have enough about them to keep Arsenals defence busy.

Can’t see us winning still but at least he’s finally identified some of the issues from the last month so and has tried to fix it, but I can still see us getting overrun in the centre of the park. Personally, I see that as quite a big issue as to why the defence has been that bad

Edited by Nemi
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Arsenal - Match Thread

Perhaps confirms Salisu will be off in the summer? He’s been bad, Bednarek’s been bad, either could have been dropped, so interesting that he’s gone with Salisu. Hopefully Valery and Lyanco have good games, certainly could do against Nketiah.

9 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Personally, I’d swap salisu for Bednerak but those at CB are a bit of a raffle and you’ve no idea what you’re going to get. However, for me, that’s the strongest side we can put out. 

Why does it take a hammering for Ralph to change things though? 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Personally, I’d swap salisu for Bednerak but those at CB are a bit of a raffle and you’ve no idea what you’re going to get. However, for me, that’s the strongest side we can put out. 

Why does it take a hammering for Ralph to change things though? 

We've played 3 at the back quite a few times this season so he doesn't only change it because of a hammering.

I'm happy with the full backs. Will be interesting to see if Valery plays well again in the 3.

They seem to have a few players out so could be a chance for us today.

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We've played 3 at the back quite a few times this season so he doesn't only change it because of a hammering.

I'm happy with the full backs. Will be interesting to see if Valery plays well again in the 3.

They seem to have a few players out so could be a chance for us today.

I may be mistaken, but we’ve persisted with the same formation for the past 5 or 6 games, which we’ve not won 1 of. 

Not our strongest team but with the lack of motivation last game its good to see players who have something to prove. 3atb is probably wise given Salisu has been poor and Valery/Lyanco both prefer a 3. AA would have be nice to see but Broja is definitely more appropriate as a lone forward.

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Manager makes odd selections shock. Is Salisu rereading his Newcastle contract. Wtf. Valery? REALLY?

Valery has been pretty good at RCB to be fair and Salisu has had a number of woeful games recently

Edited by TWar

3 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Well done spurs, great timing, give Arsenal all the motivation and incentive to close the gap on their rivals today 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

To be fair, hanging off of other teams performance and results is pretty pointless with us.  We get ourselves into a good position in the league, we actually overhauled Brighton, but then collapse in games we should be winning.   We now find ourselves four points behind them, which I doubt we'll make up now.  I think our realistic targets are little more than to simply stay in this league.

KWP and Perraud playing in their correct positions is good to see. Would have preferred to go stronger in CM with a 3, but it looks like Diallo is injured (not even on bench), highlighting our major weakness, options/backup in CM. To me it is the most important area to strengthen in the Summer, we can't continue relying on Oriol/JWP putting in superstar performances week in week out, we need strength in depth, 2 for every position to start and options to go 3 in the middle to avoid being overrun against some teams.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic