Saints 1-0 Arsenal - Match Thread

John Boy Saint

Typical Saints. They do this on purpose. Following them is like the preverbial rollercoaster. Not expecting anything but a loss and they pull out a win. Lower expectations so people are surprised when it comes together.

Great win, keep it up to the end of the season please.

• Like 2

Just now, adriansfc said:

Always find it odd that anyone thinks players can boost their performance that much for a contract. As if they're so good it's just a little extra effort needed. Especially in goal when you have to react from than make things happen. 

Saganoski?

• Like 1

It is amazing how the brain works though, I am now looking at the next 3 games (Burnley, Brighton and Palace) thinking we can win all those! I looked at these games and today’s against Arsenal, just 24 hours ago and thought we would be lucky to get a couple of points. 

I will also add my brain of a Saints fan will never learn. 😉 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 2

Hmmmm - I have a dilemma (see OP) as I started the thread and was sporting new Calvins! 😳

That was much better - on reflection easier than expected - Fraser was immense. 
Lyanco has a screw loose, but I like him. Just watching him after Arsenal missed chances, he’s like us lot in the stands - clenched fists “yes”. 

A really shit game to be honest, but it makes a change to actually dig out a result when we're not playing particularly well - GK won us that one today. You need a result/performance like that to just kick the form back into gear.

I thought we were abject on the ball when we did get it, giving it away too often and not really creating any openings. Broja was our main outlet and that was just through his pace and running power, not due to build up.

Elyonoussi's off the ball work is great, but he is painfully slow when we're on the break or looking to build.

But clearly MOTM was Forster, we lose that quite comfortably without his performance.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A really shit game to be honest, but it makes a change to actually dig out a result when we're not playing particularly well - GK won us that one today. You need a result/performance like that to just kick the form back into gear.

I thought we were abject on the ball when we did get it, giving it away too often and not really creating any openings. Broja was our main outlet and that was just through his pace and running power, not due to build up.

Elyonoussi's off the ball work is great, but he is painfully slow when we're on the break or looking to build.

But clearly MOTM was Forster, we lose that quite comfortably without his performance.

Spot on. Nice to dig out a result, but a staggering lack of quality in our build up. Dire.

I couldn’t really enjoy that until the final whistle went.

Forster brilliant, sign him up please. Perraud, Lyanco outstanding. Long did exactly what he was sent on for. Put himself about a nit and won a couple of free kicks.

The stadium announcer was playing ’Stayin Alive’ after the game, presumably referring to our Premier League survival.

• Like 1

An heroic performance from everyone. After last week’s humiliation there was a complete change of tactics today. Barely any pressing, no faffing around passing out from the back and plenty of hoofing the ball clear either upfield or into the crowd. Instead it was long kick upfield and inviting Arsenal to come and attack and try to break down our well-set defence. It certainly wasn’t pretty but it worked superbly. Arsenal fell into the trap and tried to walk the ball into the net and on the rare occasions Arsenal threatened there was FF to thwart them.

Well played by our lads and what a team selection and tactical choice by RH.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Should have lost 3-1. Forster was superb. Great win - that’s not luck, that’s skill.

I couldn't resist taking a look after all the recent xG chat.

Saints 1.04 vs Arsenal 1.35

https://understat.com/match/16700

Grabs coat and runs...runs like the wind...fails to take the ball on the run though... 0xG...

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Huge congrats to Lyanco who put in a shift after so long away. Personally I'd be playing him most weeks next year. 

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Hmmmm - I have a dilemma (see OP) as I started the thread and was sporting new Calvins! 😳

That was much better - on reflection easier than expected - Fraser was immense. 
Lyanco has a screw loose, but I like him. Just watching him after Arsenal missed chances, he’s like us lot in the stands - clenched fists “yes”. 

Yep, can see Lyanco becoming a bit of a cult hero for us over the next few seasons.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

At the final whistle someone booted the match ball into the Kingsland. A young chap a couple of rows in front of me went home with a special souvenir.

Are you saying that stealing from the club is ok? What if I went in the megastore and nicked £75 out the till?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Are you saying that stealing from the club is ok? What if I went in the megastore and nicked £75 out the till?

Have a word with yourself,  it's a ball, booted into the crowd.  How many player shirts get given away, thrown into the crowd. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The price you pay for a match ticket these days. They are stealing from the fans 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 14/04/2022 at 22:16, gammon cheeks said:

I would settle for a boring 1 0 win .   Raplh sets up a 4 5 1 formation ...loads of men behind the ball...defending as a unit ...Arsenal just cant break our solid defensive shape .......then i woke up .

Buy that man a pint !

• Like 2

Great game today and solid defensive performance. But the only downer on the game was people booing Cedric. The guy scored in a win over the skates and always gave 100%. Didn't understand that at all. Lovren, Van Dijk, Lallana etc. fair enough. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

At the final whistle someone booted the match ball into the Kingsland. A young chap a couple of rows in front of me went home with a special souvenir.

2003 Cup Final in the warm up a wayward ball ended up in the crowd right in front of me, no one looked to get it back on the pitch - it was one of the special FA Cup match balls - Silver with all the previous winners on it - chap with his son looked about furtively, no one looked to get it back, nearby steward just motioned to him  “stick it in your bag - I  didn’t see it land at your feet” : what a souvenir. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

That's a brilliant result. Perfect response to last week.

Could have done without that last gasp winner for Brentford, but can't have everything. 

Blimey... Just watched the Watford v Brentford highlights... Watford should have won that 2-1 in stoppage time... Missed an absolute sitter before Brentford went up the other end to snatch it. Hey ho.

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Blimey... Just watched the Watford v Brentford highlights... Watford should have won that 2-1 in stoppage time... Missed an absolute sitter before Brentford went up the other end to snatch it. Hey ho.

If that doesn’t say relegation j don’t know what does.

guess it’s the same for Burnley on Thursday. We are the team everyone wants to play when they need 3 points, if they can’t manage to beat us then they’ve had it 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, trousers said:

Intrigued to see how Brentford put so many players up for the attack for their deep-into-stoppage-time free-kick. They weren’t desperate for the points and a 1-1 away draw might have suited many other teams, but Brentford went for it and got their reward. Gutsy stuff.

Fantastic performance from Fraser and Perraud, KWP and Lyanco all had outstanding games too. Ralph had obviously made a tactical choice to abandon the usual methods of play to favour a sit back and defend approach which was right for Arsenal. But make no mistake, Fraser dominated his area and made some world class stunning saves - in my book the best game he’s had for Saints. Perfect antidote to last weeks abject miserable match.

It does leave one with the lingering thought that this squad is just not good enough to sustain the tippy tappy, high % possession, high press game Ralph seems to like. The summer transfer business will be fascinating to watch.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Fantastic performance from Fraser and Perraud, KWP and Lyanco all had outstanding games too. Ralph had obviously made a tactical choice to abandon the usual methods of play to favour a sit back and defend approach which was right for Arsenal. But make no mistake, Fraser dominated his area and made some world class stunning saves - in my book the best game he’s had for Saints. Perfect antidote to last weeks abject miserable match.

It does leave one with the lingering thought that this squad is just not good enough to sustain the tippy tappy, high % possession, high press game Ralph seems to like. The summer transfer business will be fascinating to watch.

I guess that it depends on who we play against !

It will be interesting to see how we approach the Burnley game on Thursday as (unlike Arsenal) they are not a possession based team so maybe two up front with a high press may well be better than today's set up ??

14 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Huge congrats to Lyanco who put in a shift after so long away. Personally I'd be playing him most weeks next year. 

He epitomises everything we need at the moment and miss when he’s not in the side.

Technically he’s probably not the best player, but he has guts, determination and fight. 

And to think, Mr stat man wrote him off after watching the highlights of a bad game on YouTube….

Edited by Dman

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

He epitomises everything we need at the moment and miss when he’s not in the side.

Technically he’s probably not the best player, but he has guts, determination and fight. 

And to think, Mr stat man wrote him off after watching the highlights of a bad game on YouTube….

His passion reminds me a bit of Stephens but with better concentration. And he can get a proper head on the ball. Some of his clearances yesterday were going half way up the Itchen Stand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

His passion reminds me a bit of Stephens but with better concentration. And he can get a proper head on the ball. Some of his clearances yesterday were going half way up the Itchen Stand.

Yep, I noted those and thought that may be why he's a bit mad, going around mildly concussed all the time.. I know it's not a joking matter and I did slightly wince at some of the headers..

It's good to see the team can play to a different and disciplined plan. I'm a Saints supporter so was expecting an equaliser any moment, but I was gradually getting more relaxed as the game went on, not more tense. Valery seems to have recovered his form, and has a bit of pace, so it's good to have him as an option again, although I would prefer him further forward. FF actually left his goal line well, as well as those blocking saves he makes so well. Goodness knows what we'll do for goalkeeping next year..

29 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I thought the exact same. He’s a better version of Stephens. 

He’s got a decent range of passing as well. 

38 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Do you actually have any idea how much of a sad little twat your relentless vendetta against TWar makes you look like?

I’m just here to call out the bullshit buddy. He just says a lot of it. 

Live by the sword and all that. Act like a know it all, expect to be shot down when proven you don’t. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m just here to call out the bullshit buddy. He just says a lot of it. 

Live by the sword and all that. Act like a know it all, expect to be shot down when proven you don’t. 

Pointing out how 'wrong' someone is every 5 minutes and 'looking like a sad little twat' aren't mutually exclusive... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 9