New manager thread

saint1977

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Schmeichel, Tielemans, Vardy, Maddison, Ndidi, KDH, Soyuncu and Daka are two points above us in the table and you’d take their manager?

Absolutely. He's a far better manager than Ralph. How wouldn't come here though so it's academic.

• Like 1

Sometimes managers go stale at a club, that's what seems to have happened with Rodgers. 

Doesn't make him a bad manager, but it looks like his time at Leicester has run its course. 

The truly elite managers would perhaps not let that happen, Rodgers obviously isn't in that bracket but is still decent. 

Whether he'd be a good fit with us within our transfer constraints is open for debate. He's had the luxury of being able to spend reasonable funds at Leicester which is unlikely to happen here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Cat said:

Sometimes managers go stale at a club, that's what seems to have happened with Rodgers. 

Doesn't make him a bad manager, but it looks like his time at Leicester has run its course. 

The truly elite managers would perhaps not let that happen, Rodgers obviously isn't in that bracket but is still decent. 

Whether he'd be a good fit with us within our transfer constraints is open for debate. He's had the luxury of being able to spend reasonable funds at Leicester which is unlikely to happen here. 

Leicester looking to following the Saints route ie losing best players when they have a decent manager . Another 3 are tipped to leave this summer , perhaps Rodgers will try for a better funded club as a result rather than groundhog day at Saints.

Lets be honest, it's highly likely we won't be getting anyone from the premier league.  It'll probably be someone out of a job, who has good stats in previous jobs. 

Few options I'd stick out there...some would come here, some slightly more unrealistic but the premier league has a draw...

Kovac
Bielsa
Galtier
Bosz
Gasperini
Spalletti

Garitano
Sanchez Flores
Glasner
Tedesco
Hütter
Schmidt
Favre
Fonseca

Edited by Saint Garrett

I still think Niko Kovac is a sensible idea. Plays a similar style of football to Ralph (high press, free flowing etc), turned Monaco from a relegation contenders to challenging for the title in less then a year, built a core team around young players that he developed, and has experience in both the French and German leagues - which is where we tend to look for young players

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I still think Niko Kovac is a sensible idea. Plays a similar style of football to Ralph (high press, free flowing etc), turned Monaco from a relegation contenders to challenging for the title in less then a year, built a core team around young players that he developed, and has experience in both the French and German leagues - which is where we tend to look for young players

In my opinion if we do change a manager, it needs to be a manager who doesn't play that way. We don't have the players to really play that way under Ralph, who is far more experienced that Kovac, so I'm not sure what Kovac would be expected to do. It would probably end pretty badly.

The club either need to back Ralph with the right quality or go in a completely different direction tactically.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Christophenburg said:

That would be AS Monaco, who are owned by a Russian Oligarch, or Trust he is involved in.

At the time of Kovac's spell there he may also have worked with Paul Mitchell dealing with recruitment.

I'm not saying Kovac might not be a good candidate as a manager, but there do seem to be reasons why he might not be able to recreate even a fraction of that succesfull spell with us. 

On 08/05/2022 at 07:02, MAY-Z said:

Yep Ange would be my pick my pick, was brilliant in the a-league with both Brisbane (who have hardly won a game in the 12 or so years since he left), Melbourne victory, was good with Socceroos and again they have hardly won since he left

Bloody hell scraping the barrel. Only managed in noddy leagues and might as well appoint Neil Lennon if basing off Celtic success.

I'm sure the club said they had already identified RH's replacement? I reckon its Frank. He can bring Eriksson with him as out of contract at the end of the season 😆

• Like 1

Three options who I believe would both wish to come and that we could easily make happen:

Benitez

Dyche

Cooper (with or without promotion for Forest)

Am sure there would be section of fan base who would oppose all three.  Cases for:

RB proven top flight manager in and beyond this country.  Did good jobs at Liverpool, Chelsea (despite fan opposition) and Newcastle.  Walked into a mess at Everton and was sacked prematurely not helped by many injuries.  Point to prove 

SD did great job at Watford and Burnley, winning promotion twice and took Burnley to Europe.  Would have a little bit more money to play with and is hungry.  Could also get Cornet, Mee and Tarkowski with a bit of luck!

SC only managed three seasons, took Swansea to play offs twice (which Potter didn’t manage to do in his one season) including final and took over Forest in the autumn when they were in drop zone.  Looks a Premier League manager of the future

Top of my shopping list is someone who can teach us to keep clean sheets or it’s an uphill battle.  I could get happy with any of these three. Easy to forget that each of our top eight managers in Premier League (Strachan, Poch, Koeman and Puel) had all enjoyed success, as well as being fired, before coming here.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Forester said:

Three options who I believe would both wish to come and that we could easily make happen:

Benitez

Dyche

Am sure there would be section of fan base who would oppose all three.  Cases for:

RB proven top flight manager in and beyond this country.  Did good jobs at Liverpool, Chelsea (despite fan opposition) and Newcastle.  Walked into a mess at Everton and was sacked prematurely not helped by many injuries.  Point to prove 

SD did great job at Watford and Burnley, winning promotion twice and took Burnley to Europe.  Would have a little bit more money to play with and is hungry.  Could also get Cornet, Mee and Tarkowski with a bit of luck!

SC only managed three seasons, took Swansea to play offs twice (which Potter didn’t manage to do in his one season) including final and took over Forest in the autumn when they were in drop zone.  Looks a Premier League manager of the future

Top of my shopping list is someone who can teach us to keep clean sheets or it’s an uphill battle.  I could get happy with any of these three. Easy to forget that each of our top eight managers in Premier League (Strachan, Poch, Koeman and Puel) had all enjoyed success, as well as being fired, before coming here.

Cooper is the only one of those I'd want anywhere near our club.

Benitez is finished as a top manager - outdated tactics that are no longer relevant.

Dyche would be like the second coming of Branfoot.

If benitez or dyche is the best we can do we'd be better sticking with hassenhutl (not that I think we should).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Bloody hell scraping the barrel. Only managed in noddy leagues and might as well appoint Neil Lennon if basing off Celtic success.

I'm sure the club said they had already identified RH's replacement? I reckon its Frank. He can bring Eriksson with him as out of contract at the end of the season 😆

Why would Frank want to leave Brentford? Better players and set up. Higher up the league. We do rather kid ourselves that we are a dream destination. Agreed he’s decent but very much doubt he would come. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DT said:

Why would Frank want to leave Brentford? Better players and set up. Higher up the league. We do rather kid ourselves that we are a dream destination. Agreed he’s decent but very much doubt he would come. 

Agreed. I can't see what we could offer him (apart from wages) to turn his head. In his shoes I'd stay there.

So Brentford are now regarded as a more attractive club to manage? My Ralph has truly elevated us to a high level. 
I can’t see the Board getting rid. We are going to have to put up with this tactically naive man and just hope next season there are 3 worse teams. 

All speculative, but Frank may well see it as Brentford pretty much reaching their ceiling and want to get out whilst his stock is highest - look at how Sheff Utd crashed 2nd season.  Also given our new owners and some of our links to ex Brentford personnel he may well see us as the next step he can take.  There is definitely scope to grow the Saints team atm!

Not definite he’d want to come by any stretch but certainly not out of the question

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

All speculative, but Frank may well see it as Brentford pretty much reaching their ceiling and want to get out whilst his stock is highest - look at how Sheff Utd crashed 2nd season.  Also given our new owners and some of our links to ex Brentford personnel he may well see us as the next step he can take.  There is definitely scope to grow the Saints team atm!

Not definite he’d want to come by any stretch but certainly not out of the question

God let's hope so

3 hours ago, Barsiem said:

He signed a new contract a couple of months ago, he's not going anywhere. Certainly not to us!

6 hours ago, Forester said:

I think he managed the England U17's to World Cup glory a few years back too. He seems to have something about him for sure.

Personally, I'm still so torn on whether I'm Ralph in or out. Ive been 'in' until the last few weeks, and now I'm doubting. I thought it was just the lack of investment, useless squad, who could do better, etc... but I'm slowly coming around to the idea of something fresh and new to invigorate a very flat looking team.

I'm also quite a realist and in my view think that Saints natural position in the league should usually be somewhere between 13th - 17th, with a few occasional fluctuations, so I'm not too shocked/disappointed with the current level. Throw in a young and raw squad, and it doesn't surprise me that they've been as inconsistent and up and down as this for a few years. 

Our transfer activity under new owners this summer will be interesting and telling of how the short term on the pitch could look.

When I read that Man City are about to buy Haaland, and we are playing Shane Long, Che Adams and Adam Armstrong, it brings me back down to earth and the realisation that we will NEVER compete and finish above clubs like this again, until we get the next billionaire takeover. I miss the 80's and 90's, when it was competitive, and you had a chance.

There you go, I'm arguing with myself again. I don't know what or who we need.... aside from billionaire owners perhaps. Is it Ralph's fault, would a new manager do better, I have no idea.

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Our ceiling isn't much higher

6 hours ago, Forester said:

Benitez

Dyche

I'd take RB or SC here but think it's only 50:50 whether we could land them. RB would see himself at a bigger club I think, and Cooper will have plenty of offers

On 09/05/2022 at 10:48, Christophenburg said:

Kovacs is a really good shout IMO.  He had Mitchell as his Sporting / Recruitment Director at Monaco (though PM still there, don't blame him), and that pairing would be great for Saints in terms of development should the new board have genuine ambition to build a new model from a solid foundation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Kovacs is a really good shout IMO.  He had Mitchell as his Sporting / Recruitment Director at Monaco (though PM still there, don't blame him), and that pairing would be great for Saints in terms of development should the new board have genuine ambition to build a new model from a solid foundation. 

Yup that was my logic too. Got decent pedigree, out of work, plays similar style.  It's more dependant on whether we could bring him to Saints.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Yup that was my logic too. Got decent pedigree, out of work, plays similar style.  It's more dependant on whether we could bring him to Saints.

I know, it's bloody fanciful of course, but Kovac would certainly cement the ambition that we are told this board possesses.  Also as a duo we'd finally find out if our last spell of relative ascendency was founded partly on PM's nous, or lady luck :)

Watch us unveil Sean Dyche and Wally Downes on August 31st...

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I know, it's bloody fanciful of course, but Kovac would certainly cement the ambition that we are told this board possesses.  Also as a duo we'd finally find out if our last spell of relative ascendency was founded partly on PM's nous, or lady luck :)

Wayne Shaw as first team coach.

Don't really get the hype with Cooper. Done brilliantly at Forest of course but I don't remember anything special being done at Swansea under him? If we're just going to appoint managers based on six great Championship months, why not save a few quid and appoint Paul Jewell, Malky McKay or Owen Coyle?

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don't really get the hype with Cooper. Done brilliantly at Forest of course but I don't remember anything special being done at Swansea under him? If we're just going to appoint managers based on six great Championship months, why not save a few quid and appoint Paul Jewell, Malky McKay or Owen Coyle?

He finished 6th and 4th for Swansea despite them trying to sell anything that moved. Went to a forest team in free fall and led them into the play offs.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

He finished 6th and 4th for Swansea despite them trying to sell anything that moved. Went to a forest team in free fall and led them into the play offs.

I didn't know he'd done that well at Swansea tbf but yeah great job at Forest. I'd just need to see a bit more from him before I went all out to sign him to us. I'd rather see how he gets on next season. Obviously that opens up for someone else to grab him but...Such is life.

On 08/05/2022 at 20:24, Lighthouse said:

Schmeichel, Tielemans, Vardy, Maddison, Ndidi, KDH, Soyuncu and Daka are two points above us in the table and you’d take their manager?

Once they bin off Rodgers they ought to get Claude Puel in to show everyone how it's done, I've heard he is a rather underrated coach. Purely hypothetical but with players of their calibre, he would surely show his true managerial ability.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Also part of the England set up with the youngsters. Knows his stuff.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

He's been pretty brilliant at the jobs he's had so far, he plays on the front foot, and decent football. Would be a decent step up for him if Forest don't go down, but he might want to stay there and have another go next season.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Also part of the England set up with the youngsters. Knows his stuff.

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's been pretty brilliant at the jobs he's had so far, he plays on the front foot, and decent football. Would be a decent step up for him if Forest don't go down, but he might want to stay there and have another go next season.

Fair enough, I was ignorant to most of that. I stand corrected.

Cooper really suits our business plan.

Good attacking football, gives young players an opportunity plus they reached the youth cup last night.

Has a great back room staff and that’s where I think the problem lies if we are interested. We won’t get rid of the manager and 3 coaching staff as it’s too much money.

On 10/05/2022 at 14:58, Miltonaggro said:

Not really, we have had managers of Barcelona and PSG happy to spend time here learning their trade.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Which pub?

Its important.

Trousers definitely strikes me as a Spoons kind of guy. I reckon he heard this at 11am yesterday morning from an old geezer chuffing on a roll up while stood outside the Standing Order drinking his second pint of the day.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Trousers definitely strikes me as a Spoons kind of guy. I reckon he heard this at 11am yesterday morning from an old geezer chuffing on a roll up while stood outside the Standing Order drinking his second pint of the day.

A pint of what though ?

This could add or detract from the credibility of the rumour. If it was a pint of meths then I'd be inclined to discount it as fanciful nonsense. Especially if the meths drinker wasn't wearing socks, and displayed  'blue' or bloodshot ankles. 

• Haha 2