Adam Armstrong

Mr X

34 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

think he needs our team to be able to create chances before we can judge

This is true.  Interested to see how this plays out.

We know there’s going to be a mini striker exodus this summer.  I wonder how bad the rumoured fallout has been with Ralph?

• Like 1

Any striker will struggle to score in this team right now. So defensive its unreal. He started well at Everton and 1st quarter of season didn't look out of place. I imagine we weren't expecting to get Broja and that impacted on Armstrongs game time. 

Then the fallout with Ralph happened and that was that. Personally I think he can do it at this level and we can't afford to cut our losses anyway. 

• Like 8

Don’t think he has it. Doesn’t have the movement and anticipation to operate at Prem level, plus he’s not got the physical attributes to mix it up with big CB’s which at least Che has. I’d say he’s worse than Long when Long was on his game. We need someone better than Che to ensure survival next season IMO.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I still he's got potential to be good at this level. His actual finishing has been pretty good. Guess the question is whether he wants to hang around for a 2nd season.

How has his finishing been pretty good? Two goals since he's been here both at the start of season & missed plenty of sitters

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

How has his finishing been pretty good? Two goals since he's been here both at the start of season & missed plenty of sitters

Both his goals were quality finishes, his offside one against Brentford was a proper finish too.

Don't remember any sitters he's missed unlike say adams(who is the opposite offers a lot else but his finishing is rather poor). There's been half chances he could have done better with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Both his goals were quality finishes, his offside one against Brentford was a proper finish too.

Don't remember any sitters he's missed unlike say adams(who is the opposite offers a lot else but his finishing is rather poor). There's been half chances he could have done better with.

He has missed a couple of easy chances. Man united at home springs to mind

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

We know there’s going to be a mini striker exodus this summer.  I wonder how bad the rumoured fallout has been with Ralph?

I read here that Ralph criticised AAs lack of height at defending corners as an issue, so it could well be a mini striker exodus. 🙂

From what I've seen he can have an instinctive shot, and wasn't shy of taking it. But I've not seen enough to tell if he can create chances for himself at this level.

If not, we'd have to create the opportunities he's more capable of scoring. Then it becomes a tactical issue, that you'd have hoped our recruitment team would have noted before we signed him.

I'll need to look at how he scored for his last club. Perhaps it's not the best fit. But perhaps, we can do better as a team to get the most from him. Which would apply to all our strikers.

He just seems a little bit too weak for me, lacks physicality.

The Watford away game stands out for me, he was very busy and 'alive' but he missed at least two absolute sitters which almost cost us. Seems to need lots of chances to score a goal, same as Adams sadly. (although Adams physicality helps him)

• Like 1

AA I think can be a decent top level forward, but in and out the team doesn't help anyone. Also the way we play/set up, I reckon Lewandowski up front  would struggle to get more than 10 league goals from open play. We just don't create enough clear goal scoring chances due to our laboured same old same old approach.

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 4

Broja has scored 1 in his last 15, I don't think the team particularly has helped. The no.10s don't create enough, our most creative player is our cente-mid because he takes set pieces, something Armstrong doesn't benefit from.

He's only had 16 games, which have been very stop starty, and had more chances recently when the team as a whole has been awful. 

I'd personally not write him off yet. 

But we need another striker anyway because we are losing Broja, losing Long and Che has the same issue, he goes through periods of just not scoring. 

• Like 1

He seems to be a poacher, which means that when he's not scoring he's not contributing much to the overall team. 

We've seen with Adams that when he wasn't scoring he was effective in different parts of the game - holding the ball up, physicality in the press (two of AA's goals have come as a result of this), running the channels. Almost playing as a 2nd striker. 

Ings - not much needs to be said. Was technically very gifted.

Broja - As frustrating as he is, you can see he has other gifts to play off. That combination of physical presence and pace is rare.

With AA it's tough as the main, and maybe only real attribute he brings is goalscoring. And when that seemingly isn't working out at this level so far, it's worrying. But hopefully he'll adapt. Premier League is a massive step up, and as mentioned he hasn't been playing in a great side. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I read here that Ralph criticised AAs lack of height at defending corners as an issue, so it could well be a mini striker exodus. 🙂

From what I've seen he can have an instinctive shot, and wasn't shy of taking it. But I've not seen enough to tell if he can create chances for himself at this level.

If not, we'd have to create the opportunities he's more capable of scoring. Then it becomes a tactical issue, that you'd have hoped our recruitment team would have noted before we signed him.

I'll need to look at how he scored for his last club. Perhaps it's not the best fit. But perhaps, we can do better as a team to get the most from him. Which would apply to all our strikers.

ridiclous if true, unless he's shrunk since we signed him

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

He's awful, mixed with a combination of losing his place in the team and never really regaining it. He's the most wasteful striker I've ever seen. Doesn't read the game very well, isn't a threat in the box which is why when he plays he's never in it. He's nowhere near good enough to play in this league and probably won't ever be.

Wouldn't surprise me if we try and shift him this summer, and we should IMO.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why the hell did we sign him, when we clearly cannot play to his strengths?

I thought we were supposed to be a well run club, post Les Reed et al?

Maybe they thought they saw some raw attributes in him, and expected him to be able to adapt slightly. Not like we're suddenly playing long ball football and crossing it in for him. Ings didn't struggle, but he also was miles better than Adam Armstrong. Fact is he's nowhere near good enough in this league.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Or be a good fit for Watford if they lose Sarr and Dennis 

This is what you'll start to see happening now. Teams in the champ will start to see their better players picked off, so clubs will be in the market for replacements and may get desperate towards the end of the window. Armstrong will probably be high in some clubs thoughts seeing what he did in the Champ previously.

I think Watford are going for Villa's Davis though. 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2022 at 14:45, AlexLaw76 said:

Why the hell did we sign him, when we clearly cannot play to his strengths?

I thought we were supposed to be a well run club, post Les Reed et al?

I think we are (administratively speaking) but the real problem is that after Reed and Wilson departed

we were left with all their lousy signings on long contracts and large salaries cluttering up the place,

and there were no extra funds to bring in more talent until our new owners arrived. 

• 9 months later...

Has come out and said the speculation of him leaving is not true and that he wants to stay next season... So do you see a way back for him?

Personally, I think given he has proven his ability to score goals at this level, we'd be mad to shift him on without taking a look at the very least. Clearly, he's void of confidence and imo 'found his level' in the championship. But could he be our Billy Sharpe / Teemu Puki? 

Martin seems to like his strikers to play between the CB's, run in behind and stretch the play. He started last season with Obafemi as his number 9 (well up until January), who has a similar profile to AA - all be it maybe a little less physically imposing. Perhaps AA will suit this new style more so than the shite we're dishing up at the minute - which I think 90% of strikers in the world would struggle with. 

Given we need such reform across the whole of the pitch, is this possibly an area where we can save some £..?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Has come out and said the speculation of him leaving is not true and that he wants to stay next season... So do you see a way back for him?

Personally, I think given he has proven his ability to score goals at this level, we'd be mad to shift him on without taking a look at the very least. Clearly, he's void of confidence and imo 'found his level' in the championship. But could he be our Billy Sharpe / Teemu Puki? 

Martin seems to like his strikers to play between the CB's, run in behind and stretch the play. He started last season with Obafemi as his number 9 (well up until January), who has a similar profile to AA - all be it maybe a little less physically imposing. Perhaps AA will suit this new style more so than the shite we're dishing up at the minute - which I think 90% of strikers in the world would struggle with. 

Given we need such reform across the whole of the pitch, is this possibly an area where we can save some £..?

With the drop in quality of opponents and Martin's preference to dominate and have his strikers making runs for, God forbid, progressive passes - he could play a role. The question at this point is really whether he is the same player and whether he and the club both want to work at it over the summer.

He wouldn't be one of the names I am pushing out the door immediately and I suspect he'll be around for pre-season at least.

• Like 1

If I had to choose him or Adams to play through the middle I’d pick Adams because even if neither are prolific Adams ability in other aspects of his game would/could be very useful to Martins set up

I don’t personally see much of a way back for AA, he hasn’t shown me any indication of ability from what Ive seen, he’s lightweight, isn’t an intelligent runner, is not progressive on the ball… he is effectively a poacher and he’s failed at that.. and I appreciate Im being pretty scathing of him but I’d suggest if we are hanging our hat on him coming good we’re in trouble

This is his underlying stats by the way… he’s just an awful footballer

IMG_7156.jpeg

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 2

He's been an awful signing for us from the start. Utter waste of money. Thought he's looked ok when we were playing a front 3 with him on the left, but he has zero goal threat.  He'll only be an asset next season if we play 2 up front IMO, but I'd be looking to offload him.  His missus was definitely looking for houses in Ipswich area, but whether that was becuase of general interest, or whether something is more concrete we shall see.

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

If I had to choose him or Adams to play through the middle I’d pick Adams because even if neither are prolific Adams ability in other aspects of his game would/could be very useful to Martins set up

I don’t personally see much of a way back for AA, he hasn’t shown me any indication of ability from what Ive seen, he’s lightweight, isn’t an intelligent runner, is not progressive on the ball… he is effectively a poacher and he’s failed at that.. and I appreciate Im being pretty scathing of him but I’d suggest if we are hanging our hat on him coming good we’re in trouble

This is his underlying stats by the way… he’s just an awful footballer

IMG_7156.jpeg

Is this his 'stats' from the Championship or PL though? I think all would agree that at PL level he's not and will never be good enough. 

Also, pretty harsh judging a poachers ability on stats from a team who create the square root of fuck all. 

FWIW - I think if we can keep him and Adams with a bit of creativity behind them, we'd be more than fine next season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Is this his 'stats' from the Championship or PL though? I think all would agree that at PL level he's not and will never be good enough. 

Also, pretty harsh judging a poachers ability on stats from a team who create the square root of fuck all. 

FWIW - I think if we can keep him and Adams with a bit of creativity behind them, we'd be more than fine next season. 

Admittedly its from the prem, but Ive still not really seen a lot that fills me with confidence

He’s been out of the Championship for 2 years ? And for 2 years its just not worked, I find it unlikely tbh that he’ll rekindle his form here now… generally when players are out of form for a long period of time they tend to need to find themselves a new club

I think there’s a player in there somewhere at that level. Unfortunately his confidence is shot and I think as well as dropping a level he also needs a complete change of scenery.

I think our coaching/playing style is pretty culpable in his regression and loss of form/confidence. I think that applies to quite a few of our squad unfortunately.

I think it’s too far gone for Adam here for it to be worthwhile persevering but obviously that’s just my opinion 

Edited by Chewy
Typi

It's easy to say he will score at Champ level because he's done it before, but I'm not sure at all. Even without stats, you can see that he is a truly terrible footballer.

His touch is up there with the worst I've ever seen, he can't bring others into play, he has no physical presence (through no fault of his own) and his finishing is constantly snatched.

I'd be in favour of a clean break.

• Like 2

His form with us has been atrocious. It’s a big gamble to expect he will replicate his Blackburn form and be our main goal source. I wonder what style Blackburn played when he did so well, does anyone know?

The trouble is we are going to lose a lot of players and when rebuilding a team, it might be useful to keep him around for the season given his championship experience. However in an ideal world I think moving on would suit both parties. 

You just know if we sold him to Ipswich he’d score against us!