Coaching shake up - confirmed

EBS1980

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

Don't know anything about this guy, but based on his CV he's got too much about him to be Ralph's assistant for more than a season.  So I'd wager some decent money there's a longer term plan involved.  Either replacing Ralph or managing another club in our pyramid?

Either way it looks like a good appointment (on paper at least).

Why do you think he is overqualified out of interest? Ok we're not in the Champions League, but I'd say we're still a step up from Copenhagen. Definitely in financial terms

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

Rasmus Ankersen would surely know him well from the Danish league.

Sheldon made a thing of the fact Ralph actually met him before he signed the deal. The fact that was a thing surely shows its a club selection approved by Ralph rather than the other way around.

Nothing wrong with that, but interesting nonetheless.

Hopefully he and Ralph build a good rapport.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

On the face of it this seems a solid appointment. A completely new face with a proven track record who no doubt has something different to bring to the table.

Would be interesting to know how far down the pipeline this was before we announced the departure of the other coaches.

• Like 1

My sources tell me a guy coming in from Sunderland called Luke Cole’s hes some sort of opposition analyst scout. Also worked for Bristol City, WBA and Wales FA in a performance analyst role 

#ITK

Edited by Turkish

6 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

On the face of it, seems like a good appointment.

Hopefully he'll bring some fresh ideas to the group. Maybe he'll turn Redmond into Mane finally, or Long into a goalscorer

Now that would be Golden buzzer stuff on BGT - the whole of St Mary’s would be standing there catching flies when that Rabbit pops out of the hat! 🤪

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I bet when MLG cracks a joke with his mates when no one laughs he says it louder because he thinks no one hears him

I said it on the transfer thread. I’ll say it again. Let’s not descend into bullying. You already gave a response to MLG’s ‘joke’ which was fair - this post is just having a pop and along with other posts that play the man not the ball - it’s just a bit unnecessary (and tbh tedious when every thread becomes a pissing contest full of digs… often becoming a pile on.) can’t we all just be a bit nicer?  (I won’t demand that we’re all more positive - I am a realist) 

• Like 16

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I've supported Saints since 2004 and in all that time, I'm pretty sure Nigel Adkins was the only manager we've ever poached from another club.

Jan Poortvliet too, although he bought himself out of his previous contract as we weren't ever going to stump up. Resigned of his own accord too.

53 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Jan Poortvliet too, although he bought himself out of his previous contract as we weren't ever going to stump up. Resigned of his own accord too.

Now working as a postman in Eindhoven and coaching Sunday league football clubs. Said in a recent interview his time with us was the most disappointing time in his career. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Now working as a postman in Eindhoven and coaching Sunday league football clubs. Said in a recent interview his time with us was the most disappointing time in his career. 

It wasn't that great for the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Good research there MLG, thanks for posting it.

Notable bit for me, is his emphasis on prioritising setting up the defence. Let’s hope he’s able to put that into shape and practice with us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Notable bit for me, is his emphasis on prioritising setting up the defence. Let’s hope he’s able to put that into shape and practice with us. 

I had a quick browse on the FC Copenhagen forums (yes, they are a thing!) and one of the take outs from their views is how well he's sorted their defence, and they'll miss the work he did with them defensively. 

I think that's an admission from us that maybe defending isn't a Ralph coaching strength, and we've sought to plug that gap whilst appreciating the good Ralph brings.  This will hopefully alleviate some of that pressure and allow him to concentrate on his strengths - attacking/counter pressing.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

I don't really blame him for that era, that's all down to Rupert Lowe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I had a quick browse on the FC Copenhagen forums (yes, they are a thing!) and one of the take outs from their views is how well he's sorted their defence, and they'll miss the work he did with them defensively. 

I think that's an admission from us that maybe defending isn't a Ralph coaching strength, and we've sought to plug that gap whilst appreciating the good Ralph brings.  This will hopefully alleviate some of that pressure and allow him to concentrate on his strengths - attacking/counter pressing.

Well if that's the case then can see why we brought him in. Although I'd also like us to see us sign some better defenders anyway...

52 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not only the defence generally, but also the set-play set-up, which was previously covered by our former goalkeeping coach (Watson). Does seem Ralph has learned some lessons, and is seeking to improve in our weak areas. Bear in mind though that this is what Ruben said when he joined Copenhagen, and seems at odds with what was said when his joining us was announced (seemed more emphasis on attacking), perhaps his role developed during his Copenhagen time, who knows, but he does seem sound.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We need a throw-in coach (madness), or one of the coaches we have to get this sorted.

From the dithering throw-ins from our fullbacks, to the absolutely hilarious long throws by Salisu.  It has been comical for a while now

if we get Delap in on loan from City, his Dad will no doubt pop down to watch him play, so we can use the opportunity to pick his brains.

21 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Why do you think he is overqualified out of interest? Ok we're not in the Champions League, but I'd say we're still a step up from Copenhagen. Definitely in financial terms

I don't think he's overqualified, just young, ambitious and talented.  He's done the hard yards in many countries.  Might be ready for a tilt at first team management and has been sold some sort of intention (not a promise) by us to blood him with Ralph and then give him a go.   I could be miles out of course.

13 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I don't think he's overqualified, just young, ambitious and talented.  He's done the hard yards in many countries.  Might be ready for a tilt at first team management and has been sold some sort of intention (not a promise) by us to blood him with Ralph and then give him a go.   I could be miles out of course.

I do hope you're wrong because I'd much prefer the next manager to have some sort of track record of success. Promoting number twos is a massive shot in the dark

22 hours ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Ouch, in a career that includes local postman managing Saints was his most disappointing time. 

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

That was 2004, but it was a car crash right at the start of your supporting career - so totally understandable to have blanked it 😅

Didn't Sturrock come in before the end of the 03/04 season though? Maybe what he means is he started supporting Saints at the start of 04/05, which to be fair is when I can first remember going to watch Saints. 

11 hours ago, Saint86 said:

That was 2004, but it was a car crash right at the start of your supporting career - so totally understandable to have blanked it 😅

Must have been 2005 I started supporting them then because the first manager I remember was Wigley.

I do remember others being around ie Strachan, Hoddle etc but I was a late bloomer in football supporting terms so I only really got into football when I was about 14. So I kinda remember the previous managers being around and hearing their names in conversation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Must have been 2005 I started supporting them then because the first manager I remember was Wigley.

I do remember others being around ie Strachan, Hoddle etc but I was a late bloomer in football supporting terms so I only really got into football when I was about 14. So I kinda remember the previous managers being around and hearing their names in conversation.

1976 for me. Remember being dragged along to an FA cup game against Villa where Hugh Fisher equalised in the final moments of the game - hooked ever since - what a first season 🤩

3 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

Luke Coles, who was Lead Opposition Analyst & Technical Recruitment at Sunderland has just left his role to take up a new role with us. Not a coaching appointment but maybe one of the recruitment side. 

Haven’t seen this reported anywhere else. 

but if true:

On 10/06/2022 at 21:12, Turkish said:

My sources tell me a guy coming in from Sunderland called Luke Cole’s hes some sort of opposition analyst scout. Also worked for Bristol City, WBA and Wales FA in a performance analyst role 

#ITK

… award One ITK point to Turkish.

Meanwhile somewhere in his own bathroom MLG is looking into the mirror rehearsing the comic timing and delivery of his ‘Coles to Newcastle’ joke for this evening and tomorrow.

(It’s the way he tells them). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Meanwhile somewhere in his own bathroom MLG is looking into the mirror rehearsing the comic timing and delivery of his ‘Coles to Newcastle’ joke for this evening and tomorrow.

Uncanny! I was doing exactly that!

Bruce Willis Mirror GIF by Friends

Edited by Matthew Le God

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Uncanny! I was doing exactly that!

Bruce Willis Mirror GIF by Friends

Close your eyes next time you do it and imagine it’s for the Royal Command Performance.

A handshake from Prince Charles backstage awaits. 

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My sympathies.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Badger said:

Haven’t seen this reported anywhere else. 

but if true:

… award One ITK point to Turkish.

It’s 100% true as Luke Cole’s posted it himself on LinkedIn 3 days ago, which is probably where Turkish saw it since he posted the news on here 3 days ago too.

• Like 3

On 11/06/2022 at 16:34, S-Clarke said:

Our attacking is pitiful though. 

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

But our defending is abysmal. Concede 10 less goals last season in the right games and we would have been top half, potentially challenging top 7.

Correct.

Saints scored 43 last season and finished 15th (8 Clean Sheets) 

Brighton Scored 42 and finished 9th (11 Clean Sheets) 

Wolves Scored 38 and Finished 10th  (11 Clean sheets) 

• Like 2