Well, it definitely won't be Suella Braverman and the rebirth of the Conservative Party

CB Fry

Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote

• Sunak
    • Mordaunt
    • Truss
    • Badenoch
    • Tugendhat
    • Braverman

On the actual topic, the tory MPs have elected the two people probably the least electable. 

They are about as incompetent as Boris, they backed Boris for years, they served in his government, have made countless amounts of gaffs of their own and neither has 'lovable buffoon' act Boris cons member of the public with. 

Starmer will own Truss in PMQs, she is not bright nor is she a very good public speaker, as previous speeches have shown (apples and cheese anyone, long pause for effect, would highly recommend the 'room next door' parody videos of her speeches btw). 

12 years of Conservative government that has failed the country and led to the mess we are currently in and they have played a huge role in it, how can it be a 'new start', is anyone going to believe that when they basically had been there the whole time? 

And both them are pitching absolute bonkers policies, I presume directed at the bonkers conservative party members, the group that is like 65% white, over 50, male, wealthy and lives in the south of england, but is completely meaningless to the rest of the country and the issues we face.  Still blindly backing Brexit, still backing the absurd Rwanda plan, pledging tax cuts with cloud cuckoo land money, still talking about trickle down economics which didn't work 40 years ago and won't work now. 

The only candidate that had a smidgeon of hope of winning a general election was Tugendhat, not really associated with the Johnson government, far more centre-right than his colleagues, has his war record to elevate him which generally plays well with conservative voters (and not a made up one like Mordaunt) and generally looked competent in a government full of incompetent ministers who are really bad at their jobs.  Hilariously he is one of the first they voted out. 

Labour must be loving it at the moment, they have voted out all the people that might have posed them any threat, the debates have been an absolute disaster and just highlight to the country how awful the options are and the tories are in general. Would like to see them get some good policies out there soon but at the moment they don't need to much but watch the Tory party shoot themselves in the foot over and over. I fully predict the final two debates are going to be just as damaging for the tories, Sunak and Truss seem to have played the dirtiest campaigns and seem to truly dislike each other. 

• Like 3

Well done for giving the plum such a response Tajjuk. I fear he maybe awaiting a visit from Rees-Mogg to Millbrook estate to explain all the Brexit opportunities that await. Hey maybe they could deregulate and get rid of those silly rules that say you can’t ride mopeds on pavements or football pitches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Well done for giving the plum such a response Tajjuk. I fear he maybe awaiting a visit from Rees-Mogg to Millbrook estate to explain all the Brexit opportunities that await. Hey maybe they could deregulate and get rid of those silly rules that say you can’t ride mopeds on pavements or football pitches.

Thanks, it does just baffle me how ordinary people vote for the Tories, what they think they are getting out of it. I might get like very wealthy people voted for less taxes etc. but normal working people, just don't get it, do they just read one newspaper and believe everything it says? I have an uncle, he's basically the facebook uncle meme in real life, constantly posting stuff about Brexit or how good Johnson is, the guy has worked on the railways most of his life, never been well off, struggled with illness and disability, yet somehow thinks private school educated millionaires have his best interests at heart. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The debate on TalkTV has just been cancelled because the presenter collapsed live on air.

I listened to one question of it prior to it going off air. Some strange woman used her opportunity to ask one question to the future PM, whether she should become a vegetarian due to the rising cost of meat. I turned over at that point.

Truss' plan to save money on Public Sector salaries - pay people proportionately to the cost of living where they live, and to move jobs out to the regions. To achieve this it will mean pay cuts for staff in the North, such as teachers and the NHS, because they sure as hell won't increase the salaries in and around London.

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Truss' plan to save money on Public Sector salaries - pay people proportionately to the cost of living where they live, and to move jobs out to the regions. To achieve this it will mean pay cuts for staff in the North, such as teachers and the NHS, because they sure as hell won't increase the salaries in and around London.

2 hours after I post this Truss backs down.

#influence

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

It's called levelling up. Sorry levelling down.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aintforever said:

All she had to do was not say anything stupid for a few weeks and she was a shoe-in for PM.

I dunno, I think it's rather clever actually.  I mean, it's basically saying to that section of the party that still wants Boris around that there'll be at least some sense of continuity.

Currently she just has to appeal to the membership so she's making up shit, over-promising and glossing over reality as a Johnson-continuity, Poundland Thatcher candidate.

As soon as she's banked their votes and got in, she'll have to do a u-turn and start a campaign for the electorate about change, a fresh start, her previous work being nothing to do with her etc.

The problem could be the trail of toxic soundbites she and Rishi have left.....all the stuff about how the government has failed, how the economy has been mis-managed, that's election campaign dynamite - and god help her if she takes the Thatcher impression to the former pit villages.

It's going to be funny either way. 

• Like 2

On 22/07/2022 at 22:23, tajjuk said:

Thanks, it does just baffle me how ordinary people vote for the Tories, what they think they are getting out of it. I might get like very wealthy people voted for less taxes etc. but normal working people, just don't get it, do they just read one newspaper and believe everything it says? I have an uncle, he's basically the facebook uncle meme in real life, constantly posting stuff about Brexit or how good Johnson is, the guy has worked on the railways most of his life, never been well off, struggled with illness and disability, yet somehow thinks private school educated millionaires have his best interests at heart. 

Do your thoughts also apply to people like soggy who read only the guardian and believe every word written? 

12 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Currently she just has to appeal to the membership so she's making up shit, over-promising and glossing over reality as a Johnson-continuity, Poundland Thatcher candidate.

As soon as she's banked their votes and got in, she'll have to do a u-turn and start a campaign for the electorate about change, a fresh start, her previous work being nothing to do with her etc.

The problem could be the trail of toxic soundbites she and Rishi have left.....all the stuff about how the government has failed, how the economy has been mis-managed, that's election campaign dynamite - and god help her if she takes the Thatcher impression to the former pit villages.

It's going to be funny either way. 

She is an expert at u turns - whether it is her views on the monarchy when she was a Lib Dem (she proposed abolishing it at the LD conference), her views as a former Remainer on Brexit or her support in Cabinet for the tax rises that she is now opposing. 

Back on the OP title, Suella having another obsessive moment about civil liberties and diversity (see the Mail front cover) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-62416220

I’d have thought a sixth interest rate rise in a row, energy bills soaring to levels not seen comparatively since the 1973 OPEC oil crisis, industrial unrest, chronic national housebuilding crisis, climate change, China et al were more immediate issues but hey, apparently not.

Absolute loon. Fareham - great advert for your town.

Edited by saint1977
Climate change added
  • Like 1

I'm not an economist so can someone who has a better understanding than me explain the use of interest rate rises as the globally preferred method to control inflation? I understand that this takes cash out of the market and therefore alters the demand side of the equation and thus hopefully forces prices lower to secure business but why are interest rate rises preferred to flexible tax rises? They both would have the same effect of removing liquidity but tax rises could targetted and the receipt benefit us all and be directed to capital programmes (rail, bridges etc) whereas interest rises simply increase profits for lenders? I read an estimate that every 0.25% rise will increase RBS annual profit by £500m?

Genuine question

22 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

I'm not an economist so can someone who has a better understanding than me explain the use of interest rate rises as the globally preferred method to control inflation? I understand that this takes cash out of the market and therefore alters the demand side of the equation and thus hopefully forces prices lower to secure business but why are interest rate rises preferred to flexible tax rises? They both would have the same effect of removing liquidity but tax rises could targetted and the receipt benefit us all and be directed to capital programmes (rail, bridges etc) whereas interest rises simply increase profits for lenders? I read an estimate that every 0.25% rise will increase RBS annual profit by £500m?

Genuine question

If the cost of borrowing is higher then this should reduce demand and therefore price increases which are deduced by the market equilibrium(supply and demand).  Tax rises will not have same effect and depends where they are applied but can also be inflationary if applied to goods and services in terms of VAT,  or if in income tax just making people poorer then demanding higher wages.

A fair few years since I studied this so this is off the top of my head

1 hour ago, Highfield Saint said:

Genuine question

RBS have to get their money on the markets like everybody else. They don't have it sitting on the shelf in a shoebox.

Sunak boasting in Tunbridge Wells that he reworked the funding formula to take money from deprived urban areas to give it to places such as Tunbridge.

Truss' is reminded that, as a 19 year old at the LD conference, she suggested abolishing the Monarchy.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Sunak boasting in Tunbridge Wells that he reworked the funding formula to take money from deprived urban areas to give it to places such as Tunbridge.

Truss' is reminded that, as a 19 year old at the LD conference, she suggested abolishing the Monarchy.

Not that I really care but sounds as if the Sunak thing is a case of wilfully misrepresenting either what he said or what he meant.  I think both candidates have enough ammunition to beat the other so there's not any need to do that kind of thing.  Still, if they want to make the contest even more of a nasty affair then it would be churlish to stop them.

I'm still not voting for Truss even if she did promise the Queens head on a stick.  

2 hours ago, whelk said:

This is not a spoof, honest. 
who the fck is advising these people 

We don't have EU laws. EVERY Law on the UK statute has been passed by the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• Like 2

I heard Truss doesn’t want any of the ‘solar power paraphernalia’ in fields. She wants good old crops like what we had in the 1950s. Comical that this person is going to be next PM. Not for fucking long though although Starmer needs to up his game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whelk said:

I heard Truss doesn’t want any of the ‘solar power paraphernalia’ in fields. She wants good old crops like what we had in the 1950s. Comical that this person is going to be next PM. Not for fucking long though although Starmer needs to up his game.

Labour could find themselves in a very interesting position in 6 months time.  Truss is dreadful, objectively, and Labour should be able to beat her.  The challenge they have is that Starmer is not charismatic enough to blow her out of the water and if the tories polling recovers they may decide to get rid.  Just depends who they have lined up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Labour could find themselves in a very interesting position in 6 months time.  Truss is dreadful, objectively, and Labour should be able to beat her.  The challenge they have is that Starmer is not charismatic enough to blow her out of the water and if the tories polling recovers they may decide to get rid.  Just depends who they have lined up.

They need to bring back this fella

pg-38-bananas-2-rex.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Truss is now standing up for energy companies and defending their profits - she's nuts and clueless, please let them pick her!

It'll be as corrupt, chaotic and dishonest as the last couple of years, but with added comedy value.

https://newsthump.com/2022/08/12/there-is-nothing-more-tory-than-profiteering-from-the-supply-of-a-human-necessity-insists-liz-truss/

• Like 1

On 10/08/2022 at 10:15, Jeremy Corbyn said:

He doesn’t need charisma. The current incumbent of No 10 has plenty of that and look where that has left the country. He needs to have competence, an understanding of the issues and a desire to do something about them and integrity. He has these qualities. His problem isn’t going to be beating Truss or Sunak. His problem is the element of the far left who seem to be happier to see the Tories in power rather than a moderate Labour Party.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

He doesn’t need charisma. The current incumbent of No 10 has plenty of that and look where that has left the country. He needs to have competence, an understanding of the issues and a desire to do something about them and integrity. He has these qualities. His problem isn’t going to be beating Truss or Sunak. His problem is the element of the far left who seem to be happier to see the Tories in power rather than a moderate Labour Party.

Charisma is what made Boris the current incumbent of no 10. The masses won't elect Starmer. The 'far left' of the party are irrelevant to the nation's voting, and there is no way that the 'far left'in society would be 'happier to see the Tories in power ' than any labour government.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, egg said:

Charisma is what made Boris the current incumbent of no 10. The masses won't elect Starmer. The 'far left' of the party are irrelevant to the nation's voting, and there is no way that the 'far left'in society would be 'happier to see the Tories in power ' than any labour government.

I disagree. The country is ready for a change and are ready for a grown up for PM. The far left might be irrelevant to the country but they will do what they can to derail Starmer’s attempt to get elected and the right wing media will be all over it, just as they were with the Blairites attempt to hamstring Corbyn. Starmer is not stupid. He knows what he needs to do to get elected and is doing it. He can see that he doesn’t need to do too much right now because the Tories are doing his job for him. If they elect Truss, which seems likely at the moment, he job becomes easier. Just be a viable alternative to the current shit show, which really isn’t difficult. He has some difficult waters to navigate with the forthcoming and current strikes. The far left expect to see Labour MPs supporting the strikers and standing in picket lines. Starmer knows that is a vote loser amongst the floating middle England voters and has to tread a fine line between not alienating those fighting for a living wage and those who are being affected by the strikes. So far he has managed it and he is right to say that the government needs to do more to fasciliate negotiations between management and workers. These strikes will only end with both sides talking and reaching agreements. The Tories enjoy unrest by unions as it plays into their hands. Where they are getting it wrong now is that public opinion seems to be turning in favour of those striking as more and more of us are being hit by costblof living rises. Starmer could probably afford to stand by the unions more and not lose the middle England support he needs to get elected. This winter is going to be a nightmare for this country whoever wins the race to become PM. Starmer should be cleaning up next year.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I disagree. The country is ready for a change and are ready for a grown up for PM. The far left might be irrelevant to the country but they will do what they can to derail Starmer’s attempt to get elected and the right wing media will be all over it, just as they were with the Blairites attempt to hamstring Corbyn. Starmer is not stupid. He knows what he needs to do to get elected and is doing it. He can see that he doesn’t need to do too much right now because the Tories are doing his job for him. If they elect Truss, which seems likely at the moment, he job becomes easier. Just be a viable alternative to the current shit show, which really isn’t difficult. He has some difficult waters to navigate with the forthcoming and current strikes. The far left expect to see Labour MPs supporting the strikers and standing in picket lines. Starmer knows that is a vote loser amongst the floating middle England voters and has to tread a fine line between not alienating those fighting for a living wage and those who are being affected by the strikes. So far he has managed it and he is right to say that the government needs to do more to fasciliate negotiations between management and workers. These strikes will only end with both sides talking and reaching agreements. The Tories enjoy unrest by unions as it plays into their hands. Where they are getting it wrong now is that public opinion seems to be turning in favour of those striking as more and more of us are being hit by costblof living rises. Starmer could probably afford to stand by the unions more and not lose the middle England support he needs to get elected. This winter is going to be a nightmare for this country whoever wins the race to become PM. Starmer should be cleaning up next year.

Dear God 

On 18/08/2022 at 12:54, sadoldgit said:

What I would imagine is exhausting is trawling the internet every day to find pointless rubbish to post on a forum where most people find it, erm, pointless.

Who needs to trawl the internet to find pointless rubbish to post, when you can get Walter Mitty to just make up a load of shit!

32 minutes ago, sadoldgit said: