Well, it definitely won't be Suella Braverman and the rebirth of the Conservative Party

CB Fry

Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote

• Sunak
    • Mordaunt
    • Truss
    • Badenoch
    • Tugendhat
    • Braverman

Tory rag doesn’t seem to be enamoured. Country hit a new low with that cabinet. And also chose to give Johnny Mercer the boot. A long two years with this fucker at the helm. But there will be some laughs at how her incompetence will be exposed. What was it 55 Tory MPs voted for her in the first round? 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-horrifying-truth-about-liz-truss

• Like 1

Does anyone else now think of Joe Lycett when the Truss sycophants get interviewed? There have been a couple of Tory MPs interviewed today on radio who have rabbitted on about what a great leader Truss is going to make , how the sun shines out of her arse and how her farts smell of roses. I suppose I never took them seriously before but after the Lycett intervention I now just think they are hilarious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Tory rag doesn’t seem to be enamoured. Country hit a new low with that cabinet. And also chose to give Johnny Mercer the boot. A long two years with this fucker at the helm. But there will be some laughs at how her incompetence will be exposed. What was it 55 Tory MPs voted for her in the first round? 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-horrifying-truth-about-liz-truss

Linked in that article is this analysis of the Truss solution to escalating energy bills ...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-madness-of-truss-s-energy-price-cap

• Like 1

6 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Linked in that article is this analysis of the Truss solution to escalating energy bills ...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-madness-of-truss-s-energy-price-cap

She doesn’t seem to be uniting the party and her cabinet appointments appears just a continuation of the stooges.

So no fresh start to get anyone excited, no vision other than an aspirational Britain bollocks - unfortunately she doesn’t have the oration skills to even get that to sound anything other than blah. More of same Johnson without any charisma. Although TBF I do agree with the freezing of energy prices so she may get some little bounce from that, I assume the Telegraph and Mail will be championing it from the rafters and not voicing the same opinion of the Spectator article. There will be no mention that this is the same leftie policy that Labour would apply which they would have been pissing their pants over.

• Like 1

Is there any other organisation in the world (except maybe a local rugby club?) where the person in charge gets to put their 'mates' in the most responsible positions?

No wonder the country is an utter shambles most of the time when the people charged with running it can't be considered to be even close to the 'best person for the job'.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is there any other organisation in the world (except maybe a local rugby club?) where the person in charge gets to put their 'mates' in the most responsible positions?

No wonder the country is an utter shambles most of the time when the people charged with running it can't be considered to be even close to the 'best person for the job'.

Yes, it’s hardly a government of all the talents is it? Despite the rhetoric, Thatcher carried on with a number of ‘wets’ throughout her tenure who offered expertise, and Blair government ditto was more representative as well. This is just a continuation of Boris personnel wise with a few more loonies thrown in. Speaking of which, look at the new Health Secretary’s views on neo natal health and reproduction. She’s entitled to those views of course but it doesn’t seem as if the lessons from Chris Pincher and appropriate vetting for senior roles has been heeded by Truss. Very poor judgement for such an important post https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62805268

Coffey to go? Inevitable in the next few months.

Edited by saint1977

My personal favourite thing is all the people who we spitting blood about things like Alex Scott taking over as presenter on Football Focus (typical leftie-woke-box-ticking-quota-filling whatever-happened-to-the-best-person-for-the-job etc etc) seem to be the exact same people crowing about the four great offices of state being occupied by non white men and ha ha ha fuck you we're the best at diversity.

Make your mind up lads x x

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

My personal favourite thing is all the people who we spitting blood about things like Alex Scott taking over as presenter on Football Focus (typical leftie-woke-box-ticking-quota-filling whatever-happened-to-the-best-person-for-the-job etc etc) seem to be the exact same people crowing about the four great offices of state being occupied by non white men and ha ha ha fuck you we're the best at diversity.

I wouldn’t dare suggest there may be someone more suitable for the job of Home Secretary who could out perform Braverman. Never , no way. Pure merit

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Whatabout, whatabout.

Hand on heart, is Jacob Rees Mogg the best person for the business, energy and industrial strategy secretary?  I imagine his first initiative will be to bring back the workhouse given his track record as the Brexit opportunities and Government efficiencies minister :mcinnes:

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Whatabout, whatabout.

Hand on heart, is Jacob Rees Mogg the best person for the business, energy and industrial strategy secretary?  I imagine his first initiative will be to bring back the workhouse given his track record as the Brexit opportunities and Government efficiencies minister :mcinnes:

Along with starched wing collars, tail coats, and top hats.

• Like 1

Jacob Rees-Mogg stated very clearly that a change of PM demands an election.

He also said that he wouldn't serve under another PM.

He's a toxic cartoon character who is full of shit, and anyone who believes him on anything should DM me, because I have magic beans to sell them. 

In fact anyone who believes a quarter of what's coming out of no.10 at the moment should get down to The Bean Barn asap.

The stocks are running low due to the war, the woke, leftie lawyers and immigrants - so, last chance to buy magic beans, cash only, sold as seen.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg stated very clearly that a change of PM demands an election.

He also said that he wouldn't serve under another PM.

He's a toxic cartoon character who is full of shit, and anyone who believes him on anything should DM me, because I have magic beans to sell them. 

In fact anyone who believes a quarter of what's coming out of no.10 at the moment should get down to The Bean Barn asap.

The stocks are running low due to the war, the woke, leftie lawyers and immigrants - so, last chance to buy magic beans, cash only, sold as seen.

bda911f1-db05-48be-b3da-8640d33f41f4.thumb.jpg.7e3bba40a03d2f2039d8f2bf01c8da41.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I could accept his comic character image and persona if he was competent. I dont even need to agree with him, simply being competent is enough. I just don't get though how or why he is a Cabinet Minister unless the past five years is all some massive 'how low can you go' troll of the public.    

• Like 1

I'm genuinely wanting someone to come onto this thread and mount some sort of defence for the current government, cabinet, tory party, anything really.  The quality of debates recently has been pretty healthy on the forum and there are several very regular posters with right-of-centre political views.  So could someone please come and take a stand for the people currently leading us.

This is not a trap; simply the relentless onslaught is making me more and more depressed.  I need something to give me some hope that the next two years aren't going to be worse than the last two/three politically.

59 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I'm genuinely wanting someone to come onto this thread and mount some sort of defence for the current government, cabinet, tory party, anything really.  The quality of debates recently has been pretty healthy on the forum and there are several very regular posters with right-of-centre political views.  So could someone please come and take a stand for the people currently leading us.

This is not a trap; simply the relentless onslaught is making me more and more depressed.  I need something to give me some hope that the next two years aren't going to be worse than the last two/three politically.

Why would somebody with 'right of centre' political views possibly want to defend a PM who started life as a lib dem?

This may be the first PM in the history of British politics that has united the entire country - if not now, give it a couple of weeks!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why would somebody with 'right of centre' political views possibly want to defend a PM who started life as a lib dem?

This may be the first PM in the history of British politics that has united the entire country - if not now, give it a couple of weeks!

Churchill of course spent 20 years in the Liberal Party during which time he was Home Secretary and First Lord of the Admiralty.

Truss is no Churchill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I need something to give me some hope that the next two years aren't going to be worse than the last two/three politically.

It might offer some reasonable comedy, not much else. I think the fat lass who looks like a school receptionist might be gone pretty quick 👍

• Like 1

Now, I'm not comparing Truss with E Haaland but this has reminded me of the stuff that came out after his first Prem match following the Charity Shield game when he was a bit off the pace. One match later and Pep and others giving it the "ha ha ha you all said he was shit and he's not". 

No one said Haaland was shit in the first place, and I haven't seen anything anywhere that would suggest that Labour have "underestimated" Truss whatsoever. I have no doubt they expect a honeymoon period and a poll bounce, especially as she is about to dish out a load of money to people. The polls this weekend will be much closer, probably Truss in front in some of them. Labour have definitely estimated that.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

When asked about the energy crisis, Truss kept bleating on about building new nuclear power stations. How the fuck is that going to help people this winter? Does she have any idea how long it takes between making the decision to build a nuclear plant and actually getting it online?

I also noticed how she deliberately didn't respond to the point about the sewage discharges. Could that possibly be because she knows she has shit on her hands as she was the Environment Secretary that slashed the EA's funding and effectively allowed the water companies to mark their own homework?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Left Back said:

WTF are you on about? Didnt you listen to Boris speech yesterday, the last two years have been brilliant politically.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

WTF are you on about? Didnt you listen to Boris speech yesterday, the last two years have been brilliant politically.

Who would have thought that closing the economy down for 18 or so months, and following a 16-year old's environment agenda would bite us in the arse?!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Now, I'm not comparing Truss with E Haaland but this has reminded me of the stuff that came out after his first Prem match following the Charity Shield game when he was a bit off the pace. One match later and Pep and others giving it the "ha ha ha you all said he was shit and he's not". 

No one said Haaland was shit in the first place, and I haven't seen anything anywhere that would suggest that Labour have "underestimated" Truss whatsoever. I have no doubt they expect a honeymoon period and a poll bounce, especially as she is about to dish out a load of money to people. The polls this weekend will be much closer, probably Truss in front in some of them. Labour have definitely estimated that.

Haaland is much taller than Truss

Diversity? - What, millionaires from a variety of public schools?

Yes, one of them even bought milk once.

Well, actually, they bought a dairy farm - but they know all about life in the UK and can definitely come up with good ideas to help poor people.

Stuff like, take on yet another job, or turn the heating down a bit...yes, this diverse cabinet really understands life beyond their own worlds.

• Like 2

I think day 3 into her job and Truss has already fucked herself by dogmatically refusing to go for a windfall tax, just to cosy up to the swivel-eyed in the leadership contest.

Saddling future generations with £110 Billion+ extra debt just so we can hand it over to energy companies that are basically war profiteering is mental.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, aintforever said:

I think day 3 into her job and Truss has already fucked herself by dogmatically refusing to go for a windfall tax, just to cosy up to the swivel-eyed in the leadership contest.

Saddling future generations with £110 Billion+ extra debt just so we can hand it over to energy companies that are basically war profiteering is mental.

So I popped on the Daily Mail youtube vid of her 'plan' and was pleasantly surprised that A LOT of the comments pointed that out.  If she can't please the Daily Mail brigade then she is in a lot of trouble. 

• Like 1

I am putting money on a windfall tax being the first (of many) U turns of this Government. It may not get called a windfall tax but when the electricity and oil companies start to announce record profits yet fuel bills go up, the clamour for a windfall tax will be too loud for any populist government to ignore. 

Edited by Tamesaint

8 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I am putting money on a windfall tax being the first (of many) U turn of this Government. It may not get called a windfall tax but when the electricity and oil companies start to announce record profits yet fuel bills go up, the clamour for a windfall tax will be too loud for any populist government to ignore. 

Probably a 'where the wind blows' tax.  The same way this will be another 'where the wind blows' Government.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I am putting money on a windfall tax being the first (of many) U turns of this Government. It may not get called a windfall tax but when the electricity and oil companies start to announce record profits yet fuel bills go up, the clamour for a windfall tax will be too loud for any populist government to ignore. 

The greatest clamour will be at any ballot box as there will be by-elections during this Parliament.

Fuck I. thought it was a joke when I read that Truss’s new chief economic advisor was chairman of the Tax Payers Alliance - a group of right wing nutters. Looked it up and it is true Matthew Sinclair.   What has happened to our politics? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Fuck I. thought it was a joke when I read that Truss’s new chief economic advisor was chairman of the Tax Payers Alliance - a group of right wing nutters. Looked it up and it is true Matthew Sinclair.   What has happened to our politics? 

People feel alienated by the whole circus; the second and third parties in safe seats cannot be arsed to chase them, it is only voters in marginal swing constituencies that either of the 2 major parties care about. As a result you get voter apathy, and minority pressure groups gain a disproportionate level of influence.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, whelk said:

When asked about how removing cap on bankers’ bonuses will be perceived she goes into robot mode about ‘not being afraid to take difficult decisions’.  It isn’t a difficult decision you idiot just an unnecessary one.  

I was hoping that was going to be the follow up question in the interview.

It's not a "difficult" decision for her because she wants to do it. Really wants to do it. One of the very first announcements leaked out, literally top of the fucking list on becoming prime minister. If the Queen hadn't died it would have already been announced.

• Like 2

On 11/09/2022 at 21:18, whelk said:

Sigh https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/matthew-sinclair-liz-truss-climate-change/

It’s as if Truss is determined to appoint the leftovers which even Thatcher and Boris baulked at and couldn’t contemplate. Heaton-Harris and Steve Baker in the Northern Ireland Office, as if the Brexiteers haven’t tried hard enough to bring the Troubles back. We also have a climate change sceptic (at least Sinclair isn’t that, he’s arguing instead to pay for the damage as we go but ignoring the global south impacts) in charge of BIES who looks like a Victorian funeral director and a rabid anti-abortionist as Health Secretary. 

I’m sure there’s even worse if I could be bothered to look. Oh yes, Braverman in the Home Office, I forgot. Kemi Badenoch for Trade as well, as if the Victorian funeral director wasn’t enough embarrassment on the global stage. 

People talked about wets and drys with Thatcher but her cabinets had Heseltine, Clarke, Hurd, Baker, Brittain and plenty more talent. They’d be disgusted if they had to sit around a table with these imbeciles if they were in their prime again. Where a strong intellect and practical experience was essential, not something to be ashamed of and hide from within their own swivel eyed party. If I was one of the few left with a brain eg Clark or Skidmore, I’d defect to the Lib Dems. Kit Malthouse is more solid, he might clean up after Truss has detonated them at the next GE. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...