Well, it definitely won't be Suella Braverman and the rebirth of the Conservative Party

CB Fry

Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote

• Sunak
    • Mordaunt
    • Truss
    • Badenoch
    • Tugendhat
    • Braverman

I always thought the intention was to have a high wage economy? 

For everyone talking about basic economics and supply and demand etc - we've got pretty much record employment and a high number of vacancies (or at least we did recently).  Wages are always going to rise in that situation as firms struggle to recruit and retain staff.  Basic economics innit?

I guess the government could do something about that by increasing the size of the labour pool - maybe relax working restrictions for foreign workers and creating an environment that is more attractive to them.  That might keep wages down. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

For everyone talking about basic economics and supply and demand etc - we've got pretty much record employment and a high number of vacancies (or at least we did recently).  Wages are always going to rise in that situation as firms struggle to recruit and retain staff.  Basic economics innit?

I guess the government could do something about that by increasing the size of the labour pool - maybe relax working restrictions for foreign workers and creating an environment that is more attractive to them.  That might keep wages down. 

Indeed, the labour shortages are inevitable in key sectors with Brexit. Was always going to happen with politicians who didn’t understand it properly and how limiting movement would impact a supply-side driven economy. To shift somewhat away from share capital for primary investment is a very long term journey and it appears Truss can’t even stick to that for the next 2 years. Employers themselves don’t help or rather the HR functions don’t - flexible and hybrid patterns help attract and retain new and existing highly skilled people back into the market. Sometimes that is just as helpful to people as big inflationary wage rises, and unlike Liz Truss and Dominic Raab, I actually understand what makes staff most productive as I’ve worked for a living in the real world and employed dozens of people. If you treat staff like adults and set clear, stretching but reasonable objectives, funnily enough most colleagues achieve. Sunak is correct in that Truss’s tax cuts will just fuel more supply-side spending and inflation pressure from the top 1%, majority of households need help this winter outside of the very most affluent to pay the bills whilst we assess whether the energy market in the UK actually works or not. The number of firms failing or about to fail suggest that it doesn’t. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

What a Brexit betrayal? We’d rather our old people soil themselves

• Like 2

Just now, whelk said:

Everyone should be worried about this cunt leading the country. It will be slightly amusing watching someone so hopelessly out of her depth trying to survive with populist mantras

Nothing wrong with having a pop at the BBC

23 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Every time Soggy, knows, meets, or speaks to somebody, they always seem to back up his opinions. 

I live 6 miles away from Ashford International Stn and one junction away from Folkestone. EuroStar and EuroTunnel employ people in both towns. Not surprisingly some of those people live near Ashford as I do. A married couple who each work for one of the company’s above live four doors away from us. Not surprisingly in a small village everybody knows everybody else and knows everybody else’s business. We saw them the other week walking their dog and the subject of the strike came up, unsurprisingly, as he was on strike at the time. I mentioned it on a thread on a football forum dealing with current strikes because it was pertinent to a point I had made and been challenged on. That’s the way these things work Duckie. If he had worked for the fire brigade and wasn’t on strike, guess what, I wouldn’t have mentioned it.

4 hours ago, egg said:

1. Perhaps don't patronise if you can't accept a little back.

2. No. I cannot support strikers who turned their nose up at a pay offer that equated to about 9%, and in doing so choke the supply chain only fuelling inflation. 

1. Without wishing to get into a tit for tat argument, I only patronised you because you patronised me. 
2. I was talking about attitudes towards strikers on the railways in particular at the moment who, I don’t believe have been offered 9%. There will have been many more strikes within many different organisations by the end of the year. It will be interesting to see where the public’s sympathies lie then, but I have a feeling it will be more with the strikers than the Tory government or their supporters.

Why do we not worry about pay rises for the top level of companies fueling inflation, after all these are the ones buying the expensive properties in London and other such things? It is almost like it is political pressure being used to keep people cheap so that a larger slice can be allocated to a different group....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I live 6 miles away from Ashford International Stn and one junction away from Folkestone. EuroStar and EuroTunnel employ people in both towns. Not surprisingly some of those people live near Ashford as I do. A married couple who each work for one of the company’s above live four doors away from us. Not surprisingly in a small village everybody knows everybody else and knows everybody else’s business. We saw them the other week walking their dog and the subject of the strike came up, unsurprisingly, as he was on strike at the time. I mentioned it on a thread on a football forum dealing with current strikes because it was pertinent to a point I had made and been challenged on. That’s the way these things work Duckie. If he had worked for the fire brigade and wasn’t on strike, guess what, I wouldn’t have mentioned it.

🛌 🥱 😴 

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

1. Without wishing to get into a tit for tat argument, I only patronised you because you patronised me. 
2. I was talking about attitudes towards strikers on the railways in particular at the moment who, I don’t believe have been offered 9%. There will have been many more strikes within many different organisations by the end of the year. It will be interesting to see where the public’s sympathies lie then, but I have a feeling it will be more with the strikers than the Tory government or their supporters.

This may come as a shock to you but it is possible to make a point on a football forum with lying, being completely insufferable or both. 

16 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

🛌 🥱 😴 

The truth is usually mundane and boring Duckie. Your infatuation with Margaret Thatcher, Farage, your defence of Brexit and your constant fight against lefties and Pinkos will always be a lot more entertaining, I give you that. I look forward to a lot more of your posts in defence of politics and a party who are taking this country into the sewers, literally. Sleep tight, don’t let the Snap Dragon bite. 

Edited by sadoldgit
Add text
  • Like 2

On 21/08/2022 at 15:11, sadoldgit said:

I have seen plenty of support for the strikers in the media. A neighbour works for the railways, is a striker and says that he has received plenty of support. More and more people have had no pay rises for years and are now getting below inflation increases. Throw in fuel poverty and food price hikes and I think there are a lot more people struggling and have sympathy for those in the same boat, even if you don’t personally.

What is your definition of 'fuel poverty'?

I wonder if it is different to the one in the House of Commons library?

Definition of fuel poverty in England

In England a household in a property with an energy efficiency rating of C or better (around half of dwellings) cannot be defined as being in fuel poverty, regardless of their income or the level of energy prices.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8730/

31 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What is your definition of 'fuel poverty'?

I wonder if it is different to the one in the House of Commons library?

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8730/

That's a convenient obfuscation considering the parameters determining fuel poverty: "Fuel poverty is affected by three key factors: a household’s income, their fuel costs, and their energy consumption". Historically it was defined as having to spend 10% of the household income on fuel bills, but the Teresa May Government did away with that.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Fuel-Poverty/What-is-fuel-poverty

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

That's a convenient obfuscation considering the parameters determining fuel poverty: "Fuel poverty is affected by three key factors: a household’s income, their fuel costs, and their energy consumption". Historically it was defined as having to spend 10% of the household income on fuel bills, but the Teresa May Government did away with that.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Fuel-Poverty/What-is-fuel-poverty

I think it was changed in 2013???

24 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I think it was changed in 2013???

TAn alternative definition was introduced;  "(1) They have required fuel costs that are above average (the national median level), and (2) were they to spend that amount they would be left with a residual income below the official poverty line.", but the Department that introduced that was shut down by the May Government, so now we have a definition that defines an aspect of poverty that has no basis on income levels.

Edited by badgerx16

15 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

So our Foreign Secretary and soon to be PM, isn't sure whether our nearest neighbour and one of the world's oldest democracies is a friend or an enemy!!

Unbelievable!!

But think of all those mugs like LD it will resonate with? “She even hates the French, she hates paying taxes, she’s just like us”. 

• Like 1

She has a plan....

Tell all the old white members in the party that she will start a war against France and poor people, then as soon as she is in, she launches the real plan.

Tax the energy companies to the middle of next week and freeze household bills, kick the crap out of the water companies and declare that the policies are so extreme that she feels that the people should have a say - then sweep to victory in a quick election.

Maybe she's not as thick as she makes out?....

22 hours ago, rallyboy said:

She has a plan....

Tell all the old white members in the party that she will start a war against France and poor people, then as soon as she is in, she launches the real plan.

Tax the energy companies to the middle of next week and freeze household bills, kick the crap out of the water companies and declare that the policies are so extreme that she feels that the people should have a say - then sweep to victory in a quick election.

Maybe she's not as thick as she makes out?....

She’s under pressure going by the Times article this morning, with nearly half of Tory voters wanting energy firms renationalised, and over half in the Red Wall seats. Interesting piece in the FT about a former Conservative adviser saying that energy shouldn’t be treated as another commodity as the Thatcher government intended when privatising, but an essential human service. Not sure Sunak totally out of the contest yet.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-62710190

33 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Interesting piece in the FT about a former Conservative adviser saying that energy shouldn’t be treated as another commodity as the Thatcher government intended when privatising, but an essential human service.

It’s just a shame Labour didn’t have over a decade and 3 large majorities to do something about it. It’s all Thatchers fault. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

She’s under pressure going by the Times article this morning, with nearly half of Tory voters wanting energy firms renationalised, and over half in the Red Wall seats. Interesting piece in the FT about a former Conservative adviser saying that energy shouldn’t be treated as another commodity as the Thatcher government intended when privatising, but an essential human service. Not sure Sunak totally out of the contest yet.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-62710190

Shouldn’t be a left/right thing. Clearly this crisis has now polarised thoughts when previously all very manageable it wasn’t something to get too many excited about.

Now when going to take half the nation into poverty I cannot think why anyone would not want it nationalised. Although didn’t Truss think different providers use their own infrastructure which shows not been briefed and understanding is somewhat limited?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s just a shame Labour didn’t have over a decade and 3 large majorities to do something about it. It’s all Thatchers fault. 

Agreed, they should have done. Got too concerned about some of the newspapers Blair was trying to woo would say. Whoever is in government, utilities are a fucking shambles whilst we’ve ended up paying shareholders and the pensions of French/Dutch civil servants buying into our market. Smaller scale but look what the Orkneys have done with their North Sea windfall by investing for the community in renewables, solar and insulation. In much better shape to weather the storm.

On 29/08/2022 at 10:13, Lord Duckhunter said:

The current problems don't stem from privatisation per se but from the regulation structure those companies work under. 60% of Britain's gas comes from the publicly owned seabed in the North Sea. Why should BP and Shell etc, who are only the exploitation rights holders, charge UK taxpayers who are the gasfield owners 10 times the usual price and not be be subject to a windafall tax?      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Fuck me if this is true. Braverman - haha. Labour going to piss next election

Wallace and Clark the only ones with brains on that list if true.

The human fossil hasn’t got one - one of the few specifics of Brexit was to increase numbers of non EU visitors but his archaic ideological views are even halting that. Dickhead https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/03/jacob-rees-mogg-blocking-major-uk-tourism-campaign

10 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Wallace and Clark the only ones with brains on that list if true.

The human fossil hasn’t got one - one of the few specifics of Brexit was to increase numbers of non EU visitors but his archaic ideological views are even halting that. Dickhead https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/03/jacob-rees-mogg-blocking-major-uk-tourism-campaign

If she had just ditched Dorries and Rees-Mogg then she may have won some over but this is more of the same and all back handlers for support as to having any ideology and strategy,.

That Sunday Telegraph prediction is alarming . God help the Conservative party and the country if Truss's first cabinet includes the likes of Mad Nad and JRM . Time to turn the lights off and leave the country if, as sometimes predicted,  Redwood and IDS get Cabinet posts. 

Maybe she will surprise us all and appoint a cabinet of all the talents .....😁

Incredibly bold decision by the Laura K production team to book Joe Lycett on the debut program. Thought it was a gamble before he opened his mouth. 

He absolutely delivered. Never laughed so much at a Sunday morning politics programme. Genuinely brilliant.

49 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Incredibly bold decision by the Laura K production team to book Joe Lycett on the debut program. Thought it was a gamble before he opened his mouth. 

He absolutely delivered. Never laughed so much at a Sunday morning politics programme. Genuinely brilliant.

Liz Truss is "the back wash" from the tide of Tory Governments.

Harks back to the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games when his commentary included" I'm going to do what the British Government doesn't usually, welcome some people from Asia".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 31cc said:

For those that missed it

The Daily Mail is frothing at the mouth about this today, making it front page news. When a satirist causes outrage by simply repeats and agreeing with what the candidates have said, it's fair to say there's a problem with the candidates, not the comedian.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, whelk said:

If she had just ditched Dorries and Rees-Mogg then she may have won some over but this is more of the same and all back handlers for support as to having any ideology and strategy,.

The tax cuts are going to accelerate inflation further, I agree with Sunak on that but she doesn’t have a brain and addled with ideological dogma. Could be the shortest political honeymoon on record. I’ll benefit from the tax cuts but if the economy tanks further with her crazy ideas the gains will be short-lived. 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Two of the best quotes.

"She’s going to make Theresa May look like Stephen Hawking."

“She will be the only world leader who could go and sit with President Biden and bring the average brain power in the room down.”

• Like 1

It’s mental that 180,000 people can spend 8 weeks assessing both candidates and come to the conclusion that Liz Truss would be better at running the country than Rishi Sunak. I don’t like either of them but wow!

This really is the Tory’s Corbyn moment. I wonder how many of the swivel-eyed loons chose Truss as our PM because the other guy ‘stabbed Boris in the back’?

• Like 2