Wolves 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

4 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

1 step forward and 2 back. I had hoped we would build on our result against Chelsea but then I remind myself I am a Saints fan. I was getting confident about Brentford, now I am not too sure. 

Think we need to remember there are no easy games in this league. Often you need that little bit of luck which we didn't get today. We clearly missed the influence of Lavia. Have to take your chances at this level and today we didn't. I half expected this result after beating Chelsea.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Very easy to foresee lots of " well, we did some good things, just unlucky on the day" results for the rest of the season. 

Let's hope we can bounce back against Brentford because the bottom six is going to be tight this season.

Yep, and not the place for a load of youngsters who are desperately trying to find their feet, and trying to keep us in the toughest league in the world. When the going gets tough, we could get found out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep. He had a very poor season last year, but prior to that he has looked a rare talent.

Scamacca was available for the exact same money as the Gakpo fee, if you believe the amounts being quoted. I agree with you though. Finding top notch strikers is bloody tough. 

I think he could good but he managed 6 goals last year and missed chances today as well yet is costing £60 million. 

Scammacca doesn’t seem to be playing for West Ham and again not prolific in his career. 

We really need to get lucky with recruitment again like we did with Ings but clearly there were not many options even with our extended budget, which is why I think we switched to buying a winger. 

3 minutes ago, John B said:

How many points do you think we will get by the end of October

Saturday 10th September

PREMIER LEAGUE

Southampton15:00Brentford

Friday 16th September

PREMIER LEAGUE

Aston Villa20:00Southampton

Saturday 1st October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton15:00Everton

Saturday 8th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Manchester City15:00Southampton

Sunday 16th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton14:00West Ham United

Wednesday 19th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• AFC Bournemouth19:30Southampton

Sunday 23rd October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton14:00Arsenal

Saturday 29th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Crystal Palace15:00Southampton

E CAPTURE

We’ll have a decent chance of getting something out of all of those except for the Man City game, if we keep playing as well as we have.

Arsenal playing extremely well but St Mary’s is a bit of a bogey ground for them.

Man City obviously we’ll need everything to go right for us to get anything.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

there was one lovely reverse through ball in the first half and some other nice interplay that often goes unnoticed, but a lot didn't work. I think he can play at this level, his touch is decent, but he just doesn't ever run a game, dominate it. Its small flashes at best. You need more.

I was very unimpressed with him. I assume a part of why he played is that he gives a bit more defensive solidity. But there were a couple of times in the first and early second half where he just let his runner go past him and it let to Wolves opportunities.

With the personnel we have available and playing 4231 we need the 3 to do so much more. Aribo looks good IMO, but AA and in particular Elmo gave us virtually nothing going forward today. Mara and Edozie are much more positive but bring more of a defensive risk, so it’s a difficult balance.

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

in what way?

Edioze looks like he could be very creative, and Mara looks like he wants to play in the hole, but neither are the same type as Broja, pace and power dribbling and on the shoulder of the CB stuff.  Both can help us win games. Is that what you mean?

In terms of having impact. Being able to stretch play and make something from nothing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Yep, and not the place for a load of youngsters who are desperately trying to find their feet, and trying to keep us in the toughest league in the world. When the going gets tough, we could get found out. 

That's the worry. You see it all the time here in the ice hockey, teams rebuilding with loads of really exciting youngsters. They look awesome but struggle because they need an experienced player or two to guide them through the difficult situations that they'll face throughout the season. 

Indeed a lot of focus goes on finding the right older players to take on these roles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I think he could good but he managed 6 goals last year and missed chances today as well yet is costing £60 million. 

Scammacca doesn’t seem to be playing for West Ham and again not prolific in his career. 

We really need to get lucky with recruitment again like we did with Ings but clearly there were not many options even with our extended budget, which is why I think we switched to buying a winger. 

as a 22 year old, Scamacca scored 18 goals in the Italian top flight last year. If that ain't good enough for you, not sure what is.

Isak can play, but you are right to point out that even £60m doesn't guarantee you goals. I'd take him here at  the drop of the hat though. 

Neither are here. We need to get the best out of what we have. And there are now options, apart from right down the middle, which is what many were saying on the transfer window thread. Its Che or who as the target man?

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I was very unimpressed with him. I assume a part of why he played is that he gives a bit more defensive solidity. But there were a couple of times in the first and early second half where he just let his runner go past him and it let to Wolves opportunities.

With the personnel we have available and playing 4231 we need the 3 to do so much more. Aribo looks good IMO, but AA and in particular Elmo gave us virtually nothing going forward today. Mara and Edozie are much more positive but bring more of a defensive risk, so it’s a difficult balance.

I agree, need much more ...much more threat.

not sure he offers anything defensively.

there are now other options. they will get their chance in the next game I suspect.

4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

That's the worry. You see it all the time here in the ice hockey, teams rebuilding with loads of really exciting youngsters. They look awesome but struggle because they need an experienced player or two to guide them through the difficult situations that they'll face throughout the season. 

Indeed a lot of focus goes on finding the right older players to take on these roles.

Exactly,  which is why I see the 'missing experienced striker' as a massive missing piece of our jig saw. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it is one of them.  Amazed you didn't know this.  Concerning

( Nice edit ).

Just for a change, try and find the bright side of things. You consistently come across as a bit depressed; whether it be on this thread, the Cost of Living one, or even the one covering the Russian situation.

If you keep up with the negative waves you'll have to think of changing your forum pseudonym again, this time to Moriarty.....

image.jpeg.5195dd1ad31c8521de0d8cd1c4b6cb50.jpeg

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

as a 22 year old, Scamacca scored 18 goals in the Italian top flight last year. If that ain't good enough for you, not sure what is.

Isak can play, but you are right to point out that even £60m doesn't guarantee you goals. I'd take him here at  the drop of the hat though. 

Neither are here. We need to get the best out of what we have. And there are now options, apart from right down the middle, which is what many were saying on the transfer window thread. Its Che or who as the target man?

16 and more my point was he’d not hit double figures before that and had yet to score for West Ham apart from against a meh European team.  He’ll also be 24 in Jan he’s hardly a youngster.  Plenty of players have had one off good seasons and then done little again. 

The only one for me who maybe we could have gone all out for was Belotti who’s consistently scored goals but then he would have still chosen someone like Roma ahead of us anyway. 

And yeh if take Isak but look at the price, we are only just getting in the £30 million range let alone the £60 million for a guy who hasn’t scored many. 

Main point is people saying we need a striker but in our price range and wanted to join us I don’t think anyone was an upgrade and I think the club realised that after they got priced out on Ramos and moved on to a goal scoring winger in Gakpo. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

99 times out of 100, Adams doesn’t miss that chance.

I’m not so sure, he has a bit of a reputation of missing ‘sitters’, this one being the worse. 

he’s certainly below par in front of goal and if he’s our main man up top, on his own, it’ll be a big problem for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

16 and more my point was he’d not hit double figures before that and had yet to score for West Ham apart from against a meh European team.  He’ll also be 24 in Jan he’s hardly a youngster.  Plenty of players have had one off good seasons and then done little again. 

The only one for me who maybe we could have gone all out for was Belotti who’s consistently scored goals but then he would have still chosen someone like Roma ahead of us anyway. 

And yeh if take Isak but look at the price, we are only just getting in the £30 million range let alone the £60 million for a guy who hasn’t scored many. 

Main point is people saying we need a striker but in our price range and wanted to join us I don’t think anyone was an upgrade and I think the club realised that after they got priced out on Ramos and moved on to a goal scoring winger in Gakpo. 

My mistake, 16 Italian top flight league goals, not 18. Pretty good still. He scored 8 league goals the season before plus 4 cup goals. so there's you double figure goals two seasons in a row. Actually, he scored 9 goals in seria B plus 4 more cup goals. So in his first three professional seasons he scored double figure goals in all of them. This is why West Ham spent £32m on him. West Ham not playing him is their lookout. If we had bought him, he'd be starting, every week. 

You are right though, you just never know, but if we had spent £32m on him, assuming we had it, I'd of been very comfortable with that.  I doubt he would have selected us ahead of West Ham so is matters little. 

10 minutes ago, DT said:

Tell you who would have scored that Che chance. Everybody else in the entire universe. Ah well. Onward. Have to be right up for free scoring Brentford. No mugs. 

if he had stood still it would jave hit him and gone in.

What did you think of the keeping for their goal? What do you think of Bazunu so far?

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

you carry on with the sarky comments/replies to me.  Reality tells it how it is

9/10 window, yeah?

So Delldaysy/Batmansy. We brought in 4 new players two days ago and have revamped the squad with more quality but after just one game after the transfer window slammed shut you write the season and the business we have done off.

Priceless.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, John B said:

How many points do you think we will get by the end of October

Saturday 10th September

PREMIER LEAGUE

Southampton15:00Brentford

Friday 16th September

PREMIER LEAGUE

Aston Villa20:00Southampton

Saturday 1st October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton15:00Everton

Saturday 8th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Manchester City15:00Southampton

Sunday 16th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton14:00West Ham United

Wednesday 19th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• AFC Bournemouth19:30Southampton

Sunday 23rd October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton14:00Arsenal

Saturday 29th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Crystal Palace15:00Southampton

E CAPTURE

every game is a win

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m not so sure, he has a bit of a reputation of missing ‘sitters’, this one being the worse. 

he’s certainly below par in front of goal and if he’s our main man up top, on his own, it’ll be a big problem for us. 

yeah adams is a bit of a gumby in front of goal, scores some wicked goals and then hits a shot like his foot is the shape of a breeze block

11 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

That was a shit watch, so frustrating!! Way to ruin the weekend. One word - unlucky.

Bro if us southampton a team that normally loses rather than win most weekends since we've all been alive ruins your weekend then check out the below website to deal with chronic pain.

https://www.apa.org/topics/pain/chronic

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

So Delldaysy/Batmansy. We brought in 4 new players two days ago and have revamped the squad with more quality but after just one game after the transfer window slammed shut you write the season and the business we have done off.

Priceless.

Just as bad as proclaiming we’ve bought in more quality, despite not having a fucking clue who they are, or ever seen them play. 

Priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Bro if us southampton a team that normally loses rather than win most weekends since we've all been alive ruins your weekend then check out the below website to deal with chronic pain.

https://www.apa.org/topics/pain/chronic

😂

I normally resort to some form of alcohol, or footballing schadenfreude - shame someone didn't lose 10-0 today.

• Haha 1

Sooooo frustrating that game. Wolves becoming a bogey team. Nothing ran our way today...you just knew when that scuffed goal went in right after us missing at the other end that it was going to be one of those days. We looked much the better team and I think we'll end up above Wolves this season.

No complaints about the substitutions - were the right ones and well-timed.

And for all those moaners complaining about us not getting a striker in the transfer window...better we didn't splash the cash on a striker with a history of injuries that gets injured after 45 mins eh?

I remain excited for this team. Will we have enough patience to allow them to develop?

• Like 3

Wolves conceded 43 in the whole of last season, they've only conceded 4 in the first six games, It was always going to be about the odd goal.

That being said Lavia was a big miss (thankfully theres an international break coming) and we need to work out who is best there for Brentford and Villa.

The one HUGE difference between B team games and PL games is the amount of times you only have 3-4 days between.

We need to make sure our young lads get their fitness up.

53 minutes ago, DT said:

Tell you who would have scored that Che chance. Everybody else in the entire universe. Ah well. Onward. Have to be right up for free scoring Brentford. No mugs. 

Where are all the 'Please don't sell Che' group when it was feared that he might be off before the transfer window closed?

His two goals at Leicester seem to have blinded people to the fact that him, and Armstrong A for that matter, are, at best, Championship players.

Stick with them and the Championship beckons.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Where are all the 'Please don't sell Che' group when it was feared that he might be off before the transfer window closed?

His two goals at Leicester seem to have blinded people to the fact that him, and Armstrong A for that matter, are, at best, Championship players.

Stick with them and the Championship beckons.

Right!

It looks like Che either took his eye off the flight of the ball , or mis-timed his jump, either way it was poor, but hardly the miss of the century. He is weak in the air it's true, but to go from Leicester hero to get rid in 3 games is bollocks IMO and just shows how fickle some fans can be. The fact is we managed just 1 shot on target the whole game, despite more than matching Wolves for most of the game. I would be more concerned with that.

• Like 1

Not seen a mention of how poor the referee John Brooks was. He bought everything Wolves offered. Played advantage when Adams was taken out in the first half and "forgot" to show a yellow card when play eventually stopped. In the second half we had a really good advantage and he stopped the game to show a yellow card for the foul on KWP. When Saints prepared to take a long throw he held up the game so Wolves could make a sub when they weren't at all ready to bring anyone on. In the first half he produced one of the all time worst ever decisions to award a foul when the Wolves keeper kicked a clearance straight at a Saints player. He has only been refereeing at this level since 2021 and based on this performance he is the sort of dreadful ref that the PL love and will go to the very top. Such a change after having a proper referee on Tuesday.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chez said:

in what way?

Edioze looks like he could be very creative, and Mara looks like he wants to play in the hole, but neither are the same type as Broja, pace and power dribbling and on the shoulder of the CB stuff.  Both can help us win games. Is that what you mean?

Yes. They're both direct and will create

17 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Not seen a mention of how poor the referee John Brooks was. He bought everything Wolves offered. Played advantage when Adams was taken out in the first half and "forgot" to show a yellow card when play eventually stopped. In the second half we had a really good advantage and he stopped the game to show a yellow card for the foul on KWP. When Saints prepared to take a long throw he held up the game so Wolves could make a sub when they weren't at all ready to bring anyone on. In the first half he produced one of the all time worst ever decisions to award a foul when the Wolves keeper kicked a clearance straight at a Saints player. He has only been refereeing at this level since 2021 and based on this performance he is the sort of dreadful ref that the PL love and will go to the very top. Such a change after having a proper referee on Tuesday.

I think you’re over egging it.

The KWP advantage didn’t look good at first sight, but when you watch the replay the wolves defender slows down when the whistle is blown, which made KWP getting beyond him look more than it was. Before that they were alongside and it’s debatable whether KWP would’ve got beyond him. The clearance into Salisu, that was a definite foul by Salisu in the first place to slow down the kick, he leaned right into him when he was about to kick it which you can’t do, so the ref pulled it back to that after it hit the player.

The ref wasn’t brilliant, and the booking that Diallo got was a nonsense if it was based on that challenge. But on other occasions that you didn’t mention the ref waved away Wolves players rolling around and trying to con him, I thought he was fairly balanced and didn’t affect the result.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

Thought we looked like a team that had played three matches in eight days today.  Looked slower all over the pitch, passing was off and so was concentration.  I know it's the same for every club but seems to affect us worse.  Maybe it was just a poor day at the office but whatever the reason it's a bit frustrating.  Team (and manager) have a bit of credit in the bank so hopefully we can return to a better performance against Brentford.

I'm not sure a midfield two of JWP and Diallo will work whilst we wait for Lavia to get back to fitness.  Maybe AMN and JWP could be the answer, or we might have to leave out someone like Moi and go with a three in midfield.  On the subject of Moi - thought he was particularly poor today.  Far too slow at releasing the ball when he had the opportunity.  Stuart Armstrong should always be starting instead of him.

On the plus side I thought the Edozie cameo was promising.  Thought he might be too lightweight but I'm hopeful he'll be decent for us now.  Also, Mara might not have the industry of Adam Armstrong but he's far more of a goal threat (THAT header aside) - I'd be thinking of starting him in favour of Armstrong soon. 

End of the day, no PL side is going to be overly concerned about facing a team with a front 3 containing Armstrong and Elyounoussi.

Neither looks likely to score or create much, which is a problem in that position.

I still think we need to play two strikers to compensate for a lack of individual quality in the front positions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, coalman said:

Yes. They're both direct and will create

I was really impressed by Edozie. He did fall over his own feet to ruin one attack, but every other time he made something happen. There was a great nutmeg in there and real intent to go past the defender. He looked better than his youtube Prem 2 highlights. I got some Phil Foden vibes, but he looks to dribble past people more. Not sure there is a shot like Foden has at the end of these dribbles, but looks exciting. Very confident young man straight from the off. I was worried he might not be ready to step up. He is.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

End of the day, no PL side is going to be overly concerned about facing a team with a front 3 containing Armstrong and Elyounoussi.

Neither looks likely to score or create much, which is a problem in that position.

I still think we need to play two strikers to compensate for a lack of individual quality in the front positions.

It’s not though, it’s a 38 game season featuring those two, Aribo, Stu, Edozie, Adams, Mara and the possibility of adding more, if needed, in January.

Playing an extra striker to score more is like playing an extra CB to help the defence, it’s not that simple any anything but guaranteed that it’ll help.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'm not sure a midfield two of JWP and Diallo will work whilst we wait for Lavia to get back to fitness. 

It never has before. Like you say, not sure the third midfielder can be Aribo. Lets get AMN in there with Diallo and JWP.  Brentford stuffed us at the end of last season and are on fire. Lets try and get hold of that midfield area. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

• Like 2

Gutted, but not surprised. Wolves have had our number for a while, and today we clearly aided and abetted them in the robbery. 

Shocking how much we missed Lavia already, actually pretty scary! 

Che has had a good start to the season, so I hope people don't dwell on this result. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

We move on.