Wolves 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

25 minutes ago, Dusic said:

End of the day, no PL side is going to be overly concerned about facing a team with a front 3 containing Armstrong and Elyounoussi.

Neither looks likely to score or create much, which is a problem in that position.

I still think we need to play two strikers to compensate for a lack of individual quality in the front positions.

In all our games so far we haven't struggled to create chances. Adams missed a sitter but every striker does at some points in there career. You get what you pay for.

We can't go get the best strikers in the world so our strikers will miss chances unfortunately. Playing 2 up top doesn't mean you are gonna score goals.

• Like 2

Adams battled really well today against a physical defence. He really didn’t stop. Should’ve scored his goal but otherwise did well. 

AA and ME are pretty useless in attack. Ely particularly should’ve played Adams through but seemed to have no idea. Aribo looked most likely to combine with che. 

Salisu and ABK were generally very good. ABK might be threatening Benali’s goal scoring record though. 

KWP has the ball almost magnetically fixed to his boot. Quality player and much the strongest of the two full backs today. 

Diallo is such a disappointment. I’ve always hoped he would come good, but just knew we’d suffer with him in the team. Shame game wasn’t played pre 1/9 so OR could’ve played. 

Bazunu took up great starting positions to snuff out attacks early. Commanding in the air and good kicking (though a tendency to go long too often). 

sooner we get to see none of Diallo, AA or ME in the first 11 the better 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’m still not sure show this happens.

It’s the worst miss I’ve ever seen in my life. I read @whelkon here say it’s not even in the top 50. I’d hate the see the 50 that do make the list.

I've watched it a couple of times since to try and make some sense of it, and I can't really!

It doesn't look like he's sure what to do with it, he's caught in two minds and not set. But honestly if he just jumped and didn't try to move his arm it would have gone in, but he just got confused and didn't know what to do, and for a striker that's horrific. I could take it if it was ABK or Salisu, but not from our 'main' goal threat.

He had a good game in the main though, similar as against Chelsea, but you just cannot rely on this guy for goals.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’m still not sure how this happens.

It’s the worst miss I’ve ever seen in my life. I read @whelkon here say it’s not even in the top 50. I’d hate the see the 50 that do make the list.

Bloody hell, I thought it’d be bad from the reaction of usually sensible people on here but didn’t realise it’d be that bad. Probably is the worst miss I’ve ever seen. Free header a yard out, it’s almost impossible to fuck it up. The ball wasn’t even going at pace, he had time to chest in, probably even to let it drop and thigh it over the line, it’s was horrendous 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

Sums up us not going for a striker today ..

trouble with adams is he does have Shane long type tendencies to fuck up really easy chances what are easier to score then miss but like long can find a way.. Armstrongs finishing is rough too really need to hope Mara can be the solution now but it’s a bizzare decision to not upgrade the most obvious position..

on the positive side though one thing we have done well is we look to have big time strengthened up the defence and midfield.. looks like we are kinda. Building from the back, but now we look much harder to beat and that we will compete in most games which could see a upturn in results 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

If you keep up with the negative waves you'll have to think of changing your forum pseudonym again, this time to Moriarty.....

> interupts monograph writing on 4-2-3-1 vs 4-1-3-2 by stripey or plain shirt<

Who?! Quickly Mrs Hudson, call a cab! We must get to the crime scene before that bumbling Ralph Le Strade clutters it up with his youthful new police signings. They're no Baker Street Irregulars (Inter-London Winners 1888, 1891,1892)!

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
monogrpah 1st draft typo

1 hour ago, WestMidSaint said:

Adams battled really well today against a physical defence. He really didn’t stop. Should’ve scored his goal but otherwise did well. 

AA and ME are pretty useless in attack. Ely particularly should’ve played Adams through but seemed to have no idea. Aribo looked most likely to combine with che. 

Salisu and ABK were generally very good. ABK might be threatening Benali’s goal scoring record though. 

KWP has the ball almost magnetically fixed to his boot. Quality player and much the strongest of the two full backs today. 

Diallo is such a disappointment. I’ve always hoped he would come good, but just knew we’d suffer with him in the team. Shame game wasn’t played pre 1/9 so OR could’ve played. 

Bazunu took up great starting positions to snuff out attacks early. Commanding in the air and good kicking (though a tendency to go long too often). 

Diallo seems a bit like a low rent Pogba in that he's only effective in a midfield 3

7 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

> interupts monograph writing on 4-2-3-1 vs 4-1-3-2 by stripey or plain shirt<

Who?! Quickly Mrs Hudson, call a cab! We must get to the crime scene before that bumbling Ralph Le Strade clutters it up with his youthful new police signings. They're no Baker Street Irregulars (Inter-London Winners 1888, 1891,1892)!

You didn't spot the picture of Donald Sutherland as Oddball in Kelly's Heroes ?

It was a bit of a clue 😉

31 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’m still not sure how this happens.

Ok may revise as been lenient thinking spin had done him. 
Bamford had one just as bad today 

• Like 1

Disagree on diallo thought he looked good today first half.. he’s quite sharp and dynamic and made some nice bursts including a great bit of skill 

• Like 1

No killer instinct today. If we had progressed as a team it's these sorts if games we should be winning. Wolves weren't great from what I could tell (was in row A which doesn't give a great overview of the game, we're in row FF at St Marys)

Standard saints overall though TBH. Bottom half performance, Bottom 6 on points run rate so far, but I still think we'll be safe overall. 

Cameos from the new guys and they looked lively. Agree with others - AA, Diallo and Mo need to be retired to the bench (or B team. Too ineffective and inconsistent).

After seeing MOTD, I fear for The Brentford game next Saturday.

3 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Not seen a mention of how poor the referee John Brooks was. He bought everything Wolves offered. Played advantage when Adams was taken out in the first half and "forgot" to show a yellow card when play eventually stopped. In the second half we had a really good advantage and he stopped the game to show a yellow card for the foul on KWP. When Saints prepared to take a long throw he held up the game so Wolves could make a sub when they weren't at all ready to bring anyone on. In the first half he produced one of the all time worst ever decisions to award a foul when the Wolves keeper kicked a clearance straight at a Saints player. He has only been refereeing at this level since 2021 and based on this performance he is the sort of dreadful ref that the PL love and will go to the very top. Such a change after having a proper referee on Tuesday.

That keep kick free kick was bizarre. And not playing g advantage when KWP was on his way was unforgiveable.

Armstrong had a big influence on changing the tide of the Leeds game and was very good against Chelsea where he got a goal. Wouldnt say hes useless, hes offered alot more in games this season. 

Elyounoussi I agree offers nothing

• Like 3

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

( Nice edit ).

Just for a change, try and find the bright side of things. You consistently come across as a bit depressed; whether it be on this thread, the Cost of Living one, or even the one covering the Russian situation.

If you keep up with the negative waves you'll have to think of changing your forum pseudonym again, this time to Moriarty.....

image.jpeg.5195dd1ad31c8521de0d8cd1c4b6cb50.jpeg

Time out for a bit of oddball appreciation. 

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Why don't you ask him if he feels he should have done better. 

You honestly look at that goal and think "yep, nothing the keeper could have done about that"?

Should have saved it. Went far to early. Should have stood up longer. It is all split second decisions, but he went to early, and he would admit he fucked it! 

32 minutes ago, whelk said:

Hey we won the xG

What was the XG of Che’s chance? Got to be as close to 1 as there ever has been. 

Such a shame TWar isn’t still about to tell us it wasn’t a sitter because it has an XG of 0.3 Or something. 

Edited by Dman

I like Che Adams and that chance epitomises him. It’s a big fuck you to the premier league and his own team mates. He’s basically saying don’t give me an easy chance that anyone can score, I’m better than that you cunts. 

OK, in the context of the game it looks bad but we’ve all got to look at the wider picture and applaud the sheer audacity of a man that refuses to take the easy way out. 

Good on ya Che, you’re a legend.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Disagree on diallo thought he looked good today first half.. he’s quite sharp and dynamic and made some nice bursts including a great bit of skill 

Diallo’s distribution can be disappointing / sloppy at times. I like his awareness as a DM and once he sharpens the rest of his game up he’ll be an excellent DM. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, WestMidSaint said:

I wouldn't put Adam Armstrong in the same "useless attacking" category as Elyounoussi, who was incredibly ineffectual and wasteful today after a "revival" against Chelsea.    Armstrong was once again well spotted making good runs into space, some nice touches/passes and tracked well in defence.    His problem is the arrival of Adozie who is clearly going to make the wide left attacking role his own.   

Two huge frustrations withe referee today....never a yellow card for Diallo, and why wasn't advantage extended to KWP after being fowled and breaking clear to the byline.    Deserved at least a point today with that miss by Adams hard to get your head round.

• Like 3

We shouldn't have left that game with less than a point! Frustrating that che managed to head the ball onto his own hand before it went in! We can't be too annoyed at him as he is one of the hardest working players in the team. Wolves weren't much better than us in front of goal but left with all three points 

• Like 1

I think we did ok, but lacked quality in the final third, which is not a huge surprise given who is playing in the attacking positions. Bit of a shocker from Che today for that chance, But everything else about his play was great. 

Solid at the back, obviously opened up quite a bit once we went in behind. Perraud seemed to get roasted a bit down our left. 

Thought Prowsey had a decent game, and Diallo really struggled after having a decent second half on Tuesday night. 

I think we might see this quite a bit this season, where we don’t deserve to lose and end up losing 1-0, because of a lack of quality in final third. Already happened twice this season. 

Frustrating.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gurj said:

Why is Che's goal disallowed? I am assuming for handball, right? Even though it is almost identical to last week's Manure handball not given. 

Might be wrong but I think any goal where there is a hint of handball is automatically chalked off. Feel a bit sorry for Che but there were probably fifty ways he could have legally put that ball in the net...unfortunately, he somehow managed to come up with the single way to score and have it disallowed.  Looked as though he forgot to use his neck muscles to get any power behind his attempted header. Had he done so it would have gone in and not bobbled onto his arm.

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Might be wrong but I think any goal where there is a hint of handball is automatically chalked off. Feel a bit sorry for Che but there were probably fifty ways he could have legally put that ball in the net...unfortunately, he somehow managed to come up with the single way to score and have it disallowed.  Looked as though he forgot to use his neck muscles to get any power behind his attempted header. Had he done so it would have gone in and not bobbled onto his arm.

Actually, having watched it back he does thrust his head firmly at the ball but it looks as though he is so eager to put the ball in the net he rushes and misjudges the flight and it spins away from him. He is then left too far from the ball and hence doesn't make solid contact. A lethal striker would have waited a split second longer and got a solid head on it. As others have said the spin worked against Che but a Premier league striker should never miss a chance like that.

Grisly game yesterday. Wolves looked pretty weak to me, and Saints seemed be on the front foot for many periods.

However credit to Wolves, they identified a weakness at left back and put Perraud under pressure. It bought them a vital goal. Maybe Djenepo would have been better there, he does seem to be growing into that role.

Despite that Saints should have grabbed a draw. Che needs to take his time with the chances he gets  that was a horror miss.

We are going to have to be patient with these players. Not in anyway the finished product, but pretty exciting when they click. Mara in particular looks impressive, I want to see more of him.

Young Edozie will give a few defenders sleepless nights. I love the way he beat three defenders inside out, then didn't have a clue what to do with it. None of our players were anywhere near him. Next time he did that, he got taken out. Hope he has strong shins  that will happen a lot.

Brentford game should be a cracker.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Che's header into his arm didn't make the 2 min Sky match highlights I just watched. Can't have been that important. 🙂

How the fuck can that be left out of highlights? It was a very significant moment in the game.

I like Che, he's got qualities, just not his finishing more often than not. That's why he's rated a £15m (he's still worth more imo) player by some, he's fluffed his lines too often to be a top striker.

He could've let the ball drop and kneed it in, if he so wished. Basically, if the ball had hit any other body part, other than his arms and hands, it would have gone in and counted. Scores a remarkable acrobatic volley against Leicester the other week, but can't score when pretty much on the goal line with a free net.

Ah well, onto the next one. Gives the new signings another week to work with the team.

Left the ground feeling frustrated and hard done by because of result but still overall positive about the season (just as I did after Man Utd game).  Reasons to be cheerful:

- we are now averaging one goal conceded from last four PL games.  This is the killer stat for me, because occasionally you will get done 1-0, but across next 32 games we will win more than we lose if we carry on like that

- core to the above is we look like a much more cohesive and solid back line.  The two centre backs really look like a pairing, a la Fonte/Toby or Fonte/VVD.  And I thought Perraud looked back up to speed and should last 90 against Brentford

- very impressive sub impact from Stuart, AMN and Sam.

- I think for Saturday we will see AMN in for Diallo and Stuart in for Moi

I think the Adams fiasco we have to put down as one of those days.  If he gets into those positions ten times he is going to score nine times.  

When I looked at our fixture list I feared we may be on no more than three points at this stage, so still not unhappy with start.  Although, bizarrely, if you do the tick back to last season identical fixtures we also took seven points from them!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, macca155 said:

Young Edozie will give a few defenders sleepless nights. I love the way he beat three defenders inside out, then didn't have a clue what to do with it. None of our players were anywhere near him. Next time he did that, he got taken out. Hope he has strong shins  that will happen a lot.

He'll win Ward-Prowse a lot of free-kicks. He made such a difference when he came on he should be a starter next Saturday ahead of Elyounoussi.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

...think it was one of Diallo's better games, but picking up an yellow card before halftime rather took the sting out of his aggressive manner ...

Romeo always managed to stay clear of the red cards, but think Diallo was on this thin ice and lacked Orrie's guile in those situations.

16 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Nothing to worry about saints will stay up comfortably!

edoize looks an incredible talent,will get bums off seats !

missed Romeo and Romeu today..

bring on Brentford!

although I would be more pleased if we could have waited until Ivan Toney hits a streak of blank scoring games......

Went game yesterday, disappointed in the result as I thought Wolves were there for the taking as the united game,but in saying that I think things are looking promising for us.The new signings are looking all promising and it is a young squad.I think we definitely need a striker in the January transfer.Something just seems missing up front.Was really impressed with Edozie when he came on,looks a threat going forward.The only problem is keeping hold of the players,as Chelsea are already sniffing around lavia😂. After the Spurs game I think it could be a good season for us.Not worried about relegation for once.

How can juggling the ball with your hand not be an offence? Yet when the ball unintentionally bounces off your arm be ruled one. Perhaps I'm a bit too long in the tooth but I am of the opinion that 'hand to ball' is offence but ball to hand is not. Then again. We are not Manure are we? Thank God! 

15 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

How can juggling the ball with your hand not be an offence? Yet when the ball unintentionally bounces off your arm be ruled one. Perhaps I'm a bit too long in the tooth but I am of the opinion that 'hand to ball' is offence but ball to hand is not. Then again. We are not Manure are we? Thank God! 

Different rulings for attackers and defenders. Yes, it’s a complete horlicks.

Edit: I’ve found a reference to the IFAB ruling,

“Starting from June 1, 2019 onwards, the IFAB have confirmed that a goal scored or created with the use of an accidental handball will not count.”

Also,

“There will be no penalty if: 

the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.”

Nothing there about touching their hand after they’ve juggled it from one to the other.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Addition of rulings

11 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

You can’t score with your hand, whether intentional or not. It doesn’t matter if it’s in a natural position, or any other consideration. If you’re lying unconscious on the 6 yard line and the ball runs over your hand into the goal, it’s ruled out. It’s a factual decision whereas handball in every other circumstance is subjective. 

• Like 1