Wolves 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

1 minute ago, sydney_saint said:

Generally playing pretty well against a dour, but well structured Wolves side. Podence and Neto are little shits and spent most of the half rolling around.

Just still looking for a little bit more from most of our attacking players. Moi I still don't get. If he's gonna be slow, he needs to fast in the brain like Tadic was. But he isn't, he slows things down. I feel a bit for Djenepo. Put his hand up to play left back when he definitely not a natural defender. Makes sense to lose that position for Perraud now he is fit, but how frustrating must it be for him to now be sitting on the bench whilst Moi continues to put in mediocre to poor performances every game.

In Moi's defence he works really hard for the team.  That being said he is slow in thought and movement that stops any fast attacking breaks dead in their tracks.  

Both him and Diallo have been very, very poor IMO.  Rest of the side have done OK - nothing Bazanu could have done re. the goal: an unmarked player who scuffs a shot rather than hitting it cleanly.  For the hysterical tarts moaning about him I would much rather have him back there than Forster or McCarthy.

• Like 1

Weird game.

Been on top without really creating any clear chances, then fall behind to a complete mishit.

Elyounoussi and Diallo have been poor. 

I'd like to see Mara come on and see what he can do.

Aribo has done well, but we can't seem to get him on the ball enough

Just now, Dr Who? said:

I think 💰 people have to pick and choose games now. I don’t go to many but could not afford this too often with the price of living and fuel ️ 

We have had some great build up play, but nothing on the end of it. Far to open at the back. It is a game that I came into thinking it could go either way. Still think we have enough to come back. But next goal massive. If there is one. 

This game sums up the problem with Elyounoussi, the reason he was in the team against Chelsea was his off the ball work, which is ironic for an attacker really.

When we play teams you'd expect us to have more of a go at, potentially on the break, he is not the right player at all. He's only really worthwhile for his off the ball work, but in games like this you also need an attacking edge which he just doesn't have the ability to provide (hopefully he proves me wrong).

Aribo our best player in attack, but it's not too hard to win that accolade to be fair!

Just now, Behind Enemy Lines said:

He’s not. He’s a Saint. Let’s get behind him and the team. 

I am behind him. I'd like him to learn from that and not do it again. 

But as I've said multiple times, I'm yet to be convinced with him. He's a good sweeper keeper but some of the basics are lacking - been beaten at his near post and now been beaten by one of the worst shots you'll ever see.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You lot make me laugh. Any other keeper in the world let's that goal in you'd be slating them. McCarthy or Forster and you'd have the noose out ready for a lynching. 

Just because he's a City wonder boy doesn't mean he should be immune to criticism.

Ever think it might be because you are wrong to be blaming him?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

Looking at the replays, Podence is trying to pass across goal where Kaladjzic would have a tap in.

he would because ABK just throws himself to the ground for no reason. Very strange act and he'd of looked very stupid is the ball had been squared.

1 minute ago, Golac's Iron Gonads said:

I thought she was alluding to them having only scored 2 goals all season. It's what she's been on about all game, their lack of goals from early crosses. Bazunu did nowt wrong. Spread himself and covered the near post. The scoring git hit it into the turf and it bounced over him, if he'd hit it cleanly could well have been saved.

Anyone with even a modicum of football knowledge could see that Bazunu was left floundering because of the manner in which the ball was not hit cleanly. Only someone engaging with their foot rather than their brain would try to claim otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I am behind him. I'd like him to learn from that and not do it again. 

But as I've said multiple times, I'm yet to be convinced with him. He's a good sweeper keeper but some of the basics are lacking - been beaten at his near post and now been beaten by one of the worst shots you'll ever see.

Fark me

if he stands up and the ball is hit cleanly at his near post it would go in as there is no time to react, and it seems you would be critical of that too.

You do realise he was only a few yards out and completely unmarked 

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You lot make me laugh. Any other keeper in the world let's that goal in you'd be slating them. McCarthy or Forster and you'd have the noose out ready for a lynching. 

Just because he's a City wonder boy doesn't mean he should be immune to criticism.

Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

4 minutes ago, washsaint said:

In Moi's defence he works really hard for the team.  That being said he is slow in thought and movement that stops any fast attacking breaks dead in their tracks.  

Both him and Diallo have been very, very poor IMO.  Rest of the side have done OK - nothing Bazanu could have done re. the goal: an unmarked player who scuffs a shot rather than hitting it cleanly.  For the hysterical tarts moaning about him I would much rather have him back there than Forster or McCarthy.

Agree he works hard. But if I think about our current squad, we have plenty of players on the bench who also work hard which is why I am confused why he plays. Djenepo I would argue works even harder. Armstrong does. From what I have seen from Mara, him too. I guess I just want to see good performances rewarded. I find it a bit sad Djenepo has been dropped.

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

Fark me

if he stands up and the ball is hit cleanly at his near post it would go in as there is no time to react, and it seems you would be critical of that too.

You do realise he was only a few yards out and completely unmarked 

"Only a few yards out" a very good point, well made. He should have rushed towards the player to close the angle. 

Forster for all his faults would never concede that goal. 

We’re the better team, pretty much controlled that first half, unfortunately not creating enough though. Wolves poor, especially for the home team, and lucky to be ahead with a scuffed finish, can understand why it caught Bazunu out. Though we do risk goals like that playing with the full backs so high. 
As others have said, get Moi and Diallo off and hopefully we’ll create a bit more. 

Edited by Mr Brightside

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I suppose we've all had our expectations of what a decent keeper is ruined by McCarthy being number one. 

Fucking hell. We're happy with a keeper conceding a goal like that now.

Nobody's happy about it. It was a horrible goal to concede. Bazunu could have done better, and will hopefully learn from it, but it's a bit much to expect him to be making no mistakes whatsoever at this stage.

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Which is why we need AMN in there and not Diallo.

Maitland-Niles is no more a ball winning, physical defensive midfielder than anyone else in the squad. 

Selling Romeu when we knew our only other alternative in that role was quite seriously injured won't prove be a masterstroke. 

Still not convinced by Bazunu. Seems very small in the goal and easy to beat - don't think he's made anything more than regulation saves for us so far. Nothing McCarthy wouldn't have.

Take a point here.

Edited by qwertyell

Just now, Saint_clark said:

"Only a few yards out" a very good point, well made. He should have rushed towards the player to close the angle. 

Forster for all his faults would never concede that goal. 

a minute ago you wanted him to stand up and wait and see what happened, now you want him moving

It seems MLG has hacked your account as you are being as stubbornly stupid as he is. 

basically that’s all that needs saying to you right now

Just now, qwertyell said:

Maitland-Niles is no more re a ball winning, physical defensive midfielder than anyone else in the squad. 

Selling Romeu when we knew our only other alternative in that role was quite seriously injured won't prove be a masterstroke. 

Still not convinced by Bazunu. Seems very small in the goal and easy to beat - don't think he's made anything more than regulation saves for us so far. Nothing McCarthy wouldn't have.

Take a point here.

But Maitland Niles is a much more physical player than Diallo and knows more about tracking the runner, Diallo just let's his man run time after time.

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I said at the time i would have preferred a more experienced keeper. He's not been perfect in his early games but neither has he been terrible. I simply don't see why you'd lynch any keeper for a one on one where the striker has completely shanked the ball in. It's pretty basic after the fact thinking (that he should stand still) & i see little liklihood that posters like you would be raving over his standing & watching the ball go past himm if podence connects properly.

Just now, MAY-Z said:

a minute ago you wanted him to stand up and wait and see what happened, now you want him moving

It seems MLG has hacked your account as you are being as stubbornly stupid as he is. 

basically that’s all that needs saying to you right now

You can stand up and move at the same time, this isn't some turn based game where you only get one action at a time. 

3 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

If you're first choice keeper at a PL club you should have learned already, not be learning.

Could you draw me up a list of the three best keepers in PL history and I'll go and find a whole host of mistakes from all of them.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wolves 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic