January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Hey Saints are relaxed about things.

Ha ha it makes me laugh how we’ve struggled to get that striker in for over a year and it’s going to continue till the summer. 
Wont need one then as we have plenty of experienced championship players with us that can fill that role.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If this goes through, that's nearly 40m Bournemouth would have spent in less than a week. Not sure if he is the answer for us, but if scores the goals or gets the assists that keeps them up, we are going to look pretty stupid.

might be the saints red and white tinted financial cautionary glasses i’ve got on but surely bournemouth won’t be in a good position if they go down and spending this much on players is a gamble? you think of the reasons given for leaving the dell, but cherries are spending big with their stadium size on the same players we are linked with. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

might be the saints red and white tinted glasses i’ve got on but surely bournemouth won’t be in a good position if they go down and spending this much on players is a gamble? you think of the reasons given for leaving the dell, but cherries are spending big with their stadium size on the same players we are linked with. 

Guess they will have all kinds of relegation clauses etc in the contracts. Guess the point is at least they are going for it. Contrast it to us and the complete clusterfuck that we have become. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

We’ve been linked with Jackson for how long? Been stuffing about haggling and Bournemouth just come in and go bang and pay a price that gets the job done.

We can't compete with Bournemouth. We're little Southampton and lucky to be in their league, don't you know.

Bournemouth have already spent £20m on a winger, last Thursday, who got an assist on Saturday. I thought spending £20m on two separate players in the same window was against the rules, or at least it is to those in charge.

In a logical world this would be a blessing in disguise. We don't need another winger who will chip in with the odd goal every four weeks and I know nothing of Jackson really, but I expect he will be another Mara/Edozie, who will take time, clearly has potential, but there are better players in the here and now. We need a striker, a Gabbiadini, who joined a Puel team in January that was firing blanks, who raised the team, scored 6 goals in his first 4 matches and was only stopped due to injury and then suffered the shit managers of Pellegrino and Hughes.

My only concern is that those in the driving seat/recruitment side haven't shown much logic/thought in the past year and after missing out on Jackson it's going to be another case of "the right players weren't out there for us, we're happy with what we've got".

• Like 3

Haggle haggle haggle haggle. Oh, someone else got him.

Dont worry everything is under control. We’re Saints and we won’t be bullied. We do deals on our terms.

Have you seen our new chestfeeding booths in the men’s toilets? 

- Martin Semmens -

(bellend)

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

If we piss around and lose out on Hjulmand I'll be fuming. Jackson not so much. Hes not worth 20m let alone 25m

What do you think £20m gets? A young Intl with pace and physically strong, making regular apps at a decent La Liga side, I would say £20m is par for the course 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

His current club have named there price reported two weeks ago 30 million 

Not sure they have. There are a couple of transfer rumour type websites that say Udinese `value him at €25-30m', and another that says they are `warming to the idea of a €25m sale' (what a load of bollocks), but they aren't exactly trustworthy sources. There hasn't been any kind of statement from anyone at the club. There is a story from last January where the Udinese chairman said "the Pozzo family never let their major players out during the half-season market window. Therefore, there's no way Beto is going to be up for sale in January". 

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

What do you think £20m gets? A young Intl with pace and physically strong, making regular apps at a decent La Liga side, I would say £20m is par for the course 

But 20m also gets us Hjulmand, who plays in a position we need to strengthen, is a young captain and a ever present in a mid table Serie A side. That would be good business imo

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Haggle haggle haggle haggle. Oh, someone else got him.

Dont worry everything is under control. We’re Saints and we won’t be bullied. We do deals on our terms.

Have you seen our new chestfeeding booths in the men’s toilets? 

- Martin Semmens -

(bellend)

Bellend would be a compliment to that guy.. I’d take les reed back over him easily.

OMG on the Jackson situation we been sodding around with this for weeks, Bournemouth come in today and terms are nearly agreed. What a fucking small fry joke of a shitshow club we are becoming…

excuses about no one wanting to join is bs too if you want them increase their wages then they come..

weat ham signed ings forest signed wood.. Bournemouth beating us to Jackson now just shows how insulting and dithering our approach is This Is Fine GIF by Rexona Paraguay

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Bellend would be a compliment to that guy.. I’d take les reed back over him easily.

OMG on the Jackson situation we been sodding around with this for weeks, Bournemouth come in today and terms are nearly agreed. What a fucking small fry joke of a shitshow club we are becoming…

excuses about no one wanting to join is bs too if you want them increase their wages then they come..

weat ham signed ings forest signed wood.. Bournemouth beating us to Jackson now just shows how insulting and dithering our approach is This Is Fine GIF by Rexona Paraguay

jackson was a shit signing only yesterday and now we haven’t matched bournemouths bid it’s a bad thing?

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

jackson was a shit signing only yesterday and now we haven’t matched bournemouths bid it’s a bad thing?

The perfect SaintsWeb scenario - we all agree he's shit, doesn't play in the position we need, massively overpriced but for fucks sake Saints stop dithering and pay the asking price immediately.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

When I first heard about a Janny B. coming in I thought he was talking about a January Blockbuster purchase. Not Jan Bloody Bednarek.

As for £25m for that Jackson lad, a forward who doesn't score goals, I'm having nightmares of another Carrillo fiasco. Hopefully Bournemouth are serious, and not just driving up the price to shaft us!

6 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

If we piss around and lose out on Hjulmand I'll be fuming. Jackson not so much. Hes not worth 20m let alone 25m

i think Hjulmand would be such a good buy, paired up with Lavia in the line-up. Really hope we pull the rabbit out of the hat and get him and a No. 10

Orsic, Alcaraz, Hjulmand, and a No 10 who has goals in him would be very satisfying business.

one can dream

**(i dont think Hjulmand's club wants to sell until summer though)

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

When will the pain end

Acceptance is the key to ending the pain, Martin told you that. Entitlement is  the route of your angst.

HTH 

first consultation free, thereafter £2.50 per word

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whether or not he’s worth it is slightly irrelevant. We wanted him, we pursued him, we wasted valuable time and resources in that pursuit and now we are back to square one, I assume, with quite a few of our fellow strugglers having signed oven-ready strikers in the meantime. I would have hoped lessons would have been learned in the summer. Unless there’s a great big rabbit waiting to come out of a hat I envisage another underwhelming window and near certain relegation. Avoidable all of it. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Whether or not he’s worth it is slightly irrelevant. We wanted him, we pursued him, we wasted valuable time and resources in that pursuit and now we are back to square one, I assume, with quite a few of our fellow strugglers having signed oven-ready strikers in the meantime. I would have hoped lessons would have been learned in the summer. Unless there’s a great big rabbit waiting to come out of a hat I envisage another underwhelming window and near certain relegation. Avoidable all of it. 

Spot on, whether or not people on here think he was the answer the club clearly wanted him and could’ve wrapped it up earlier but stuffing around has cost us again

• Like 1

Have we not shown him Nathan’s personalised PowerPoint presentation on how he’ll turn him into Mbappe??

Once a player sees that I thought they felt like they simply had to sign.

The power of Nathan Jones compels you     The power of Nathan Jones compels you

• Haha 1

The ironic thing is I bet most on here hadn’t heard of Jackson before this month. Or Hojlund before the start of last week. And unless you’re a kid playing FM probably not Alcaraz either.

So in terms of players we’re linked with I’ve stopped listening to the bedwetters on here crying when a player goes elsewhere because in the grand scheme of things it means bugger all to me. 🤣

And also WE ARE BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE. We are not a big team, we are not enticing or attractive to that many players. 😅

Some on here still act like we’re a Europa League team, and we simply aren’t anymore. We are not getting that calibre of player as easily.

Some on here need to accept that. 👍🏻

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The ironic thing is I bet most on here hadn’t heard of Jackson before this month. Or Hojlund before the start of last week. And unless you’re a kid playing FM probably not Alcaraz either.

So in terms of players we’re linked with I’ve stopped listening to the bedwetters on here crying when a player goes elsewhere because in the grand scheme of things it means bugger all to me. 🤣

And also WE ARE BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE. We are not a big team, we are not enticing or attractive to that many players. 😅

Some on here still act like we’re a Europa League team, and we simply aren’t anymore. We are not getting that calibre of player as easily.

Any striker better than Adams and Armstrong signed in the last year was the expectation. It's not unrealistic. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

So in terms of players we’re linked with I’ve stopped listening to the bedwetters on here crying when a player goes elsewhere because in the grand scheme of things it means bugger all to me, and also WE ARE BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE. We are not a big team, we are not enticing or attractive to that many. 😅

And your point is what? What exactly do you find ironic? Do you think our league position has been lost on the rest of us? But well done for your insightful opinion - it’s err, enlightening (🤣).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Why are we bottom of the league? We’re we bottom in the summer?

Its a forum where people can express views and disappointments the way we are being run at the moment.

Is it surprising we are not all happy clappers like you ? JFYI clubs in the bottom 3 are signing players doesn’t seem to impact them despite being on same number of points.

I have no idea about Jackson or care but the fact we needed a centre forward better than Adams, Armstrong or even Long standard and haven’t signed one does if that upsets you then you have a problem 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, saints-cris said:

I wasn't even fussed about this guy, yet I'm still annoyed. Pretty much sums up life as a Saints fan.

GET. A. STRIKER.

Exactly. Jackson, despite only being a strong rumour, was representative of the clubs efforts to sign a striker better than Adams, Armstrong or Mara that we’ve needed for nigh on two years. That this has seemingly failed with circa 75% of the window gone by (and a clutch of winnable games), the competency of the Board must questioned. Throw in the appalling entertainment value we’ve endured and the consequences of relegation to all aspects of the club and it’s no surprise supporters are alarmed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

It's a lot of money for someone who doesn't really have a good record. My concerns are about our second and third choices if he was our first choice. 

Wasn't it only a couple of weeks back we had Jones spouting shite about Rasmus Ankersen being one of the best negotiators in world football? 🤣

The art of being a good negotiator (on price !) is knowing when to walk away , said an old colleague who never paid full price for anything 😄

• Like 1

Can’t say i’m overly disappointed if we don’t sign Jackson, as everyone was saying he wasn’t that great and he isn’t a centre forward. It would, however, be disappointing if we really wanted him and we’ve lost him to Bournemouth. The optimist in me says we were never as interested as the media says, given that we supposedly wanted him on loan initially, and that we might be pursuing someone better. It’s the hope that kills, as they say!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Can’t say i’m overly disappointed if we don’t sign Jackson, as everyone was saying he wasn’t that great and he isn’t a centre forward. It would, however, be disappointing if we really wanted him and we’ve lost him to Bournemouth. The optimist in me says we were never as interested as the media says, given that we supposedly wanted him on loan initially, and that we might be pursuing someone better. It’s the hope that kills, as they say!

Two well respected sources confirmed we were after him. As I said whether or not he’s worth it is another matter but he was a target of ours which it looks like we’ve missed. Do we have other targets is now the question and if we do are we capable of landing them? 

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Two well respected sources confirmed we were after him. As I said whether or not he’s worth it is another matter but he was a target of ours which it looks like we’ve missed. Do we have other targets is now the question and if we do are we capable of landing them? 

Yeah i’ve no doubt we were interested, just saying it’s possible we would have him at the right price but weren’t making him a priority - the ‘negotiations’ had been talked about for a week or two now and even the headlines recently were that ‘talks would continue’. So it doesn’t appear we were going all out to get him in. Let’s be honest, if we really wanted him and were willing to pay what Villarreal wanted, then he wouldn’t be going to Bournemouth. So hoping we’ve got someone else lined up, but I may be disappointed!

• Like 1

We have no idea how linked we were to him. Did we just scout him and not follow up, did we enquire and not follow up. The truth is we have no idea. Maybe we didn't think he was worth £25m and moved one. The Jackson story seems to have been going around in circles, and that's most likely because we had already moved on. 

• Like 1