January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sulamana would be a cracking signing, can’t see him dropping to our level though.

Find it funny than Jones says we’re still after a number nine (striker). I doubt any will come in. Half expecting Cenk Tosun or some other premier league reject. 🤣

Yeah i cant think of a ready to score striker who isnt old or injury prone who would go for under 25m in this market.

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sulamana would be a cracking signing, can’t see him dropping to our level though.

Find it funny than Jones says we’re still after a number nine (striker). I doubt any will come in. Half expecting Cenk Tosun or some other premier league reject. 🤣

if you wage goes from £8k a week to £50k a week, do you really see it as a drop in level? This is what all middling players are striving for - a move to the Prem and a Prem wage.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Reports that Onana didn't report for training at Everton today. He was immense when we played them, a huge loss for Everton if he left.

Obviously he wouldn't come to saints, but he could certainly do a good job.

On the basis of that one game, he'd be absolutely perfect. like you say though, no chance.

1 hour ago, tpv01 said:

Agree with that top 6 100%. Barring any quality incomings we would be best to form the starting team around that. Baz in goal as I don't think he has been that bad. Started the season great and we forget how bad McCarthy has been the last 3 seasons. Defence can be picked from the rest. Salisu and ABK have been linked with big moves. Must be players there. KWP is quality and important player. I dont mind a CB like Lyanco as fullback. Enough teams are playing with that asymetric full back system - arsenal with white, newcastle with burn, city with Ake or Stones. I dont see why people are against it. Adds height at corners and can slip into different formations with 3 or 4 at the back. Modern teams dont need to be perfectly balanced on the left and right anymore.

Yeah agreed. I don't think Baz has been that bad and he gets a lot of flack on here when ultimately he's been hung out to try by the defence first and foremost. He's got a tough mentality about him and will improve all the time.

Its not rocket science basically. If Ralph had been given a serious striker and CDM cover in the summer we'd still have him as manager and be sat in mid table. SR have sacked him and still not addressed the underlying issues - we make chances and do not score!!! And without lavia we simply do not have the required defensive cover in midfield without sacrificing one of our two best players to act as a glorified anchor man - And at least there is an acknowledgement that lavia needs to be protected by the club - If he winds up injured again we are down regardless.

SR quite simply have to get a CDM and striker. If they don't and we get relegated, they are the only ones to blame - they will have failed two managers and spent a fortune skirting around the most important positions!!!!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Everton cannot spend money in this window surely cos of FFP

They are selling Gordon to chelsea though aren't they. Watch us dither about for the next 5 days and then get smashed by Everton on deadline day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Everton want to sign Chelsea's Ziyech

#ZiyechWatch

That would be, in my opinion, a very tidy upgrade on a very average Gordon. Not sure why he has so many suitors. 

Ziyech has always been a favorite of mine since he seemed to be Southampton's radar back in the Koeman years.

His body language is terrible though; he always looks miserable.

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Bree related?

image.jpeg.cbffd81879ae9519a0149976f6ccec25.jpeg

Looks like James Bree could be on then.
Djed Spence has supposedly an attitude about him so can’t see him joining. 

Kamaldeen Sulamana would be cracking providing he’s played LW and not LWB 😅

The lack of striker links are concerning and will be day by day until the window closes and we sign no one for that position. 🤣

7 hours ago, Chez said:

I thought the fee was all agreed, as were personnel terms? The player just decided not to come because he had expected Man United to come in for him as they were linked all summer. Is that not accurate?

It was agreed. Plane on runway, another club ( I think it was Leeds ) came in late. Semmens was told to up the price. Leeds were also dawdling.

Ruud van Nisteroy then said to Gakpo he’d be better staying. I guess assuming his price would go up after the World Cup.

There was also shenanigans between Man United and Liverpool before he joined Liverpool.

when he finally joined Liverpool. He struggled because of the poor quality of the team at the time. God knows what he would make of Southampton or Leeds. 🫣

in hindsight maybe Semmens was right. Gakpo seems a right prima donna.

Edited by manji
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Ok lets get cracking on some positivity thinking, I reckon SR will get a good striker and maybe a DM and winger in the coming days.

Surprised no one knows if rasmus travels on PJ's getting BJ's or normal airlines as we could track him at least on PJ destinations and reverse engineer who he's speaking to.

I still reckon we will get in two more before the window shuts. If we don’t I will have to rethink my attitude to Sports Republic. 
There that’s told them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I know we are all here looking for news of actual rumours - especially about a striker. Hopefully we will get some news soon!

In the meantime (and in the absence of the old HCDAJFU thread), I was thinking like others have done about players that we could sign and, having seen how well Alcarez played last night (for a debut at least), it caused me to reflect that in some ways there is a similarity of style between Argentinian football and what we see regularly in the EPL.

Consequently, I was wondering if there were any quality strikers we could sign from Argentina and on researching this I discovered that the top goalscorer in Argentina in 2021 was a guy called Mateo Retegui who was actually on loan from top Argentinian side Boca Juniors to Tigre, yet actually outscored the strikers at Boca Juniors! He is only 23 years old and was previously an under 19 and under 20 Argentine international.

I wonder whether HCDAJFU?

Here is a YouTube video of his skills and goals:

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I know we are all here looking for news of actual rumours - especially about a striker. Hopefully we will get some news soon!

In the meantime (and in the absence of the old HCDAJFU thread), I was thinking like others have done about players that we could sign and, having seen how well Alcarez played last night (for a debut at least), it caused me to reflect that in some ways there is a similarity of style between Argentinian football and what we see regularly in the EPL.

Consequently, I was wondering if there were any quality strikers we could sign from Argentina and on researching this I discovered that the top goalscorer in Argentina in 2021 was a guy called Mateo Retegui who was actually on loan from top Argentinian side Boca Juniors to Tigre, yet actually outscored the strikers at Boca Juniors! He is only 23 years old and was previously an under 19 and under 20 Argentine international.

Yep, this guy would be great. What do you think…£50m?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Spoke to a Luton fan about Bree the other day - In a nutshell said that he's one of the best fullbacks in the league attacking wise and has an outstanding cross on him however is one of the worst in the league for defending.

Great - crossed for someone we haven’t got and is weak at his main job. Fantastic fan bloody tastic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Spoke to a Luton fan about Bree the other day - In a nutshell said that he's one of the best fullbacks in the league attacking wise and has an outstanding cross on him however is one of the worst in the league for defending.

That's a concerning writeup. Brings to mind the awful Danny fox.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

No word of a lie i heard of this guy when i balls deep in alcaraz (not literally you perverts) thought he was going back to Boca to be fair but he thrived in Tigre - where is Sciliy (or whatever his name is our Argentinian expert - all love bro) from the Charly thread ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Great - crossed for someone we haven’t got and is weak at his main job. Fantastic fan bloody tastic 

Fine if we play 5 at the back because he won't have as much defending to do.

Full backs these days don't defend as much as they used to because they play higher up. Alexander Arnold is carving out a decent career despite being pretty terrible at defending. Obviously I'm not comparing a full back at Luton who I've never seen play to Alexander Arnold but you get the idea.

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

He looks great. Two brilliant headed goals there. Maybe you should be our new chief scout 🙂

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Fine if we play 5 at the back because he won't have as much defending to do.

Full backs these days don't defend as much as they used to because they play higher up. Alexander Arnold is carving out a decent career despite being pretty terrible at defending. Obviously I'm not comparing a full back at Luton who I've never seen play to Alexander Arnold but you get the idea.

I do but I’m a bit old fashioned.

29 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

No word of a lie i heard of this guy when i balls deep in alcaraz (not literally you perverts) thought he was going back to Boca to be fair but he thrived in Tigre - where is Sciliy (or whatever his name is our Argentinian expert - all love bro) from the Charly thread ?

Uhh? 

I swear to god are they on a wind up or something.??

We got a goal scoring winger in tella at Burnley, but nah let’s leave him and go try spend 17m of our striker money on another winger .. how about a right back as well when we already got kwp? May as well go and grab hjulmand and was well when we are absolutely stacked in mf with lavia Alcaraz diallo and jwp.. 

just use the frikking money for a striker ffs can piss about padding the squad afterwards 

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If you don't mind, I'll prefer to wait for the full review from Sidney.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

🤣 thanks mush 

35 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I swear to god are they on a wind up or something.??

We got a goal scoring winger in tella at Burnley, but nah let’s leave him and go try spend 17m of our striker money on another winger .. how about a right back as well when we already got kwp? May as well go and grab hjulmand and was well when we are absolutely stacked in mf with lavia Alcaraz diallo and jwp.. 

just use the frikking money for a striker ffs can piss about padding the squad afterwards 

The line between genuis and insanity is a thin one, as is the line between strategic thinking and bullshit. We should have a better idea where Rasmus Ankersen falls over the next five days. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Looks like we missed out on a Cedric comeback to partner Beders , he’s off to Fulham on loan . They are paying his £100k a week !

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

He would be shit for us at left back!

BTW I’m hoping Southgate drops Kane for Rashford as it’s obvious he should be starting for England.

He’d play Rashford on the left of a three, him, Kane and Sako, pretty decent.

• Like 1