James Ward-Prowse

Roger

5 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I don't think JWP is worth 50M but then I don't think Ben White is worth that and I don't think Grealish is worth 100M either so given his length of contract, age, nationality, injury record (or lack of one) and the number of points he'll contribute via set pieces then it's probably fair to at least ask for something around the 50M mark.

Well.. every time I wander into my village and look in the estate agents' windows I mutter the same about the prices, but somebody is paying them. I'm going to leave a decent whack myself when I pop my clogs (care home fees permitting) and that's for an ex-council terrace!  But £25m is a dodgy estate agent trying to con a confused old pensioner..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Saints said:

He was the one we’d never sell, and if we do we may aswell relegate ourselves. 

We sold VVD and Mane.  We can certainly sell Prowsey.     His general game is very replaceable; his dead ball game not so easy to replace.   The Club would surely consider 40 million pounds.

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

We sold VVD and Mane.  We can certainly sell Prowsey.     His general game is very replaceable; his dead ball game not so easy to replace.   The Club would surely consider 40 million pounds.

JWP is worth more than that to Saints, we certainly wouldn’t be able to replace what he gives us for that.

With four years left on his contract it’s unlikely his market value will match what his value is to Saints, unless Villa end up blowing a large portion of the Grealish money on him.

After that the only way we lose him is if the player kicks up a fuss to force his way out. As long as it’s only Villa interested we’re unlikely to lose him that way either.

As things stand I think he’ll stay here this season.

As ever, it will be down to the player. If JWP wants to move to Villa then it will happen because they have the cash to significantly up their first bid (which never gets accepted).

The only reason they make a second bid is if they have been encouraged that JWP would welcome the move. 

It will come down to how strong a desire that is.

The timing of his injury is an unfortunate coincidence I'm sure...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

JWP is worth more than that to Saints, we certainly wouldn’t be able to replace what he gives us for that.

With four years left on his contract it’s unlikely his market value will match what his value is to Saints, unless Villa end up blowing a large portion of the Grealish money on him.

After that the only way we lose him is if the player kicks up a fuss to force his way out. As long as it’s only Villa interested we’re unlikely to lose him that way either.

As things stand I think he’ll stay here this season.

Yes, as you say, the length of contract is a crucial factor.     It would certainly be hard to replace his dead ball game.  Bertrand was a good foil for corners and free kicks; who do we have in the current squad outside of JWP?   It's a big issue when we have minimal creativity in the team and are facing the loss of Ings.    Still think Saints would be tempted by 40 million.   Can't see JWP kicking up a fuss....he probably stays.

31 minutes ago, angelman said:

If the chairman comes out and says we can't compete with the likes of Everton and Villa, but instead Burnley and Palace, why would any player want to stay with us? 

Because all 5 are midtable clubs who will never achieve anything?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, angelman said:

If the chairman comes out and says we can't compete with the likes of Everton and Villa, but instead Burnley and Palace, why would any player want to stay with us? 

What about if the chairman comes out and says that from now on the manager will only select players born within an SO postcode and also the club will now be known as lacrosse club for pensioners. Why would any player want to stay with us?

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

What about if the chairman comes out and says that from now on the manager will only select players born within an SO postcode and also the club will now be known as lacrosse club for pensioners. Why would any player want to stay with us?

Still being a twat I see. Being supercilious isn't a great look, but it obviously gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, so crack on. 

25 minutes ago, angelman said:

Still being a twat I see. Being supercilious isn't a great look, but it obviously gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, so crack on. 

Give me a shout when the chairman comes out and says we can't compete with Burnley and Palace. Let me know when that happens.

20 minutes ago, angelman said:

Quite possibly but at least 2 think otherwise

One of those thought they were going to take over the world with their dugouts and warchests. If the fact that they ended up spending a big part of that warchest on a nonce doesn't slap them back to reality then nothing will. As for the other lot, their best player who has been at the club since he was 5, whose whole family supports them, had a grandfather who played for them and without whom their form was relegation standard is about to jump ship. They have been going on about ambition and how rich their owners are but not even their lifelong supporting star player believes it.

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Villa are going to massively flop next year, with or without Grealish. 

They will without, maybe not relegation as Buendia should compensate for some of the lack of creativity but not sure about goals, they certainly looked decidedly average without him for that long period near the end of the season.

Kind of understandable why they are looking at someone like JWP, because he will add goals and assists from a different source with his set piece ability, so you'd likely have Buendia basically playing instead of Grealish, and then JWP playing in midfield, then between the two you'd reckon they would be creating enough chances to compensate. 

Can't see him going though to be honest, not sure we can really replace him and can't see them offering the £50 million plus it would take for us to even consider selling. 

52 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’d probably double his wage there. 

Absolutely. And he'll play every week. I doubt JWP would take the wages and be a rotated player which is why I think somewhere like Villa would tick a lot of boxes for him. 

37 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Out of interest, how do you know?

See my post earlier in the thread (think it was last month) It's come from a source who is close to his family.

As I previously said, I do not think he would force a move. If he did go though he would increase his wages and improve his chances of an England call up for the World Cup, as well join an ambitious club looking to qualify for Europe this season. 

A fair few reasons to go, IMO. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

8 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

See my post earlier in the thread (think it was last month) It's come from a source who is close to his family. Sorry but cannot expand further.

As I previously said, I do not think he would force a move. If he did go though he would increase his wages and improve his chances of an England call up for the World Cup, as well join an ambitious club looking to qualify for Europe this season. 

Couldn't fault him for wanting to join a club showing ambition (such as Villa) rather than staying at our rudderless ship.

But I'll regard him a c^nt if he goes to Tottenham.

39 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

See my post earlier in the thread (think it was last month) It's come from a source who is close to his family.

... plus his Academy mate Matt Targett is there.

Also don't forget he scored two free kicks against Villa last season so they know what they can get from him.

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't see how it being against Villa is relevant. They would have scouted him against multiple opponents. 

I't shouldn't, in a logical world, but life and people are not allways logical. And things we experience personally often makes more of an impression than things we read in a book or watch in a video. People and feelings are involved, it's probably a little relevant 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

I get the wage, but don't see that improving his chances of an England call up (didn't help Watkins as an example). I would also question the chance Villa have of Europe next season if they sell Grealish (which is looking likely) - they were turd when he was out injured last season.

I really don't see him going as I can't see them paying us what we would want, but if he does go it'll be down to money, pure and simple (like almost all transfers).

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, that does 'smell' a bit to be honest. Let's see what happens.

Easy to speculate. The guy never misses a game, yet misses 2 either side of an offer. Hmm. 

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

When I think of mysterious absences in preseason I always think of the Callum Chambers move for some reason.

On that subject, he's a player that I could see coming back. 

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why does it 'smell'? He was also injured for the Cardiff game but still travelled to the stadium and is back in light training after an injury.

Are you really that naive? Super human JWP develops a slight knock in training that keeps him out of two subsequent friendlies? This is a guy who played every available minute last season. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not suggesting he isn't, but to miss two friendlies in a row, when one was on a Tuesday, and the other not until a Saturday, just doesn't stack up. This is JWP we are talking about not made of glass Djenpo

This is just flawed, just because someone hasn't had an injury for a long time misses some games doesn't make it a conspiracy. You have no idea as to the medical issue so you shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding him missing a game on Tuesday and then Saturday.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

This is just flawed, just because someone hasn't had an injury for a long time misses some games doesn't make it a conspiracy. You have no idea as to the medical issue so you shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding him missing a game on Tuesday and then Saturday.

Just fcking bore off.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Life isn't an exact science, clubs and agents make things up. Injuries and knocks are made up at times, just as an excuse so they don't have to play/get injured.

It might not be the case here, but as others have said...this guy never misses a game. Not friendlies, not cup games, not league games. Never misses them. Then all of a sudden on the back of interest he's missed two in a row. That's why it 'smells' a bit.

42 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not suggesting he isn't, but to miss two friendlies in a row, when one was on a Tuesday, and the other not until a Saturday, just doesn't stack up. This is JWP we are talking about not made of glass Djenpo

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Life isn't an exact science, clubs and agents make things up. Injuries and knocks are made up at times, just as an excuse so they don't have to play/get injured.

It might not be the case here, but as others have said...this guy never misses a game. Not friendlies, not cup games, not league games. Never misses them. Then all of a sudden on the back of interest he's missed two in a row. That's why it 'smells' a bit.

Don't think he played golf with the rest of the squad either so can't be injured and must be leaving then! 🤔

51 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wayne Bridge played 113 games in a row. Still got a knock. He's human. It's just the timing of it that makes the conspiracy theorists take note. 

Pre-season is an intense work out and he barely got one last season, so it's not surprise he's picked up a knock this season.

Moot anyway, he's not joining Villa.

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Are you really that naive? Super human JWP develops a slight knock in training that keeps him out of two subsequent friendlies? This is a guy who played every available minute last season. 

Quite. Not injured for years, “injured” at the same time as a bid comes in. Looks like he’s off once we get an acceptable bid

People massively reading into things here, no one is immune to injury, JWP needs a rest as much as anyone, and a slight knee injury he might play through in the season probably isn't worth pushing in friendlies, especially when Diallo and Romeu both need minutes.

A bit conspiracy theory for me, we ain't going to call a clubs bid "derisory" and then put the player on hold for them, Ings is much more likely to leave imo and he's played both games.

• Like 2

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic