James Ward-Prowse

Roger

11 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

You've mentioned Danjuma a couple of times. Has there been a link I've missed or is this player just on your wishlist? 

I'd be nervous if we did not sign a first choice CB IF we sell Vestergaard. I think Salisu will become the norm on the left side. Bednarek need sto up his game I feel and Stephens worries me everything he's on the pitch (although to be fair he looked "safer" at LB!!). 

I'd love a new GK. Armstrong seems like a positive purchase. 

Selling Ings, JWP, Vestergaard and one or two others (Redmond ideally) should generate upwards of 80-90m. This plus any other funds should allow a decent mini rebuild. 

Danjuma was pretty heavily linked in April and May but our ITK's have poured cold water on it since, presumably due to budget. Then again we were confident Ings would stay so now he's leaving we have a lot of wage freed up as his new contract was huge plus the difference in his transfer fee and Adam Armstrongs (about £10m I'd imagine) so I think we can look back into him. Also I think he's great and would us to have him.

I would like to upgrade on Bednarek, he will be one of our weaker players next season, but I don't think he is too weak for us. He is a perfectly good lower prem CB, if Salisu steps up then we have a good midtable to top half CB pairing. Aside from that all we need is fullback depth, Ings replacement, an attacking mid and preferably a GK. With the £35-40m we get from Ings+Vest plus the £15m we will likely get from Lemina+Elyounoussi+Forster+Obafemi+N'lundulu and other we have a sum of about £55m, I expect we will have a netspend of about £15m again like we have the past couple of seasons. That leaves a transfer pot when you take off the £13m we spent on Perraud and £5m we got for Gunn of about £60m which should be fine for a £15m striker (Armstrong), a £20m attacking mind, a GK (£15m) and £10m of loan fees for fullback and CB backup. I don't want to see JWP go as a team with a completely new core often struggles. We struck gold with Koeman but it is just as likely we'd invest poorly and do a fulham.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Vestergaard only has a year left of his contract, so getting more than we paid may prove difficult. 

Not if Denmark keep a clean sheet and he nods in the winner against England on Wednesday it won't. 🤣

On 05/07/2021 at 08:14, MarkSFC said:

Totally this. I like him. I think he's brilliant with a dead ball, obviously, but take that out and he's an average PL midfielder. By average I do not mean poor, I mean that he's not any better than most.

If we can get 50m+ I'd take it and move on. 

Do you realistically think JWP is worth £50m?......i know its down to whoever wants to pay but really £50m seems too much.

Btw ive said this before,do we as a club get all the funds from selling the players?

Whats stopping the owners saying thank you very much we will have that?

22 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Do you realistically think JWP is worth £50m?......i know its down to whoever wants to pay but really £50m seems too much.

Btw ive said this before,do we as a club get all the funds from selling the players?

They haven't taken anything out so far so they presumably know that relegation will cost them far more

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Vestergaard only has a year left of his contract, so getting more than we paid may prove difficult. 

According to Transfer market, Vest is actually are record signing. So yes i agree, we are very unlikely to get more than we paid for him 😅

1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

Yes, he has a long contract, our captain, arguably our best player, and his set pieces and corners make him a good all round player with a very dangerous attacking output that can win games from nothing. It comes down to what he is worth to us and what someone else will pay. If we accepted less than £40m we'd be mad, and given we don't want to sell him its very reasonable to push for at least £50m.

If the owners take money out via player sales they correspondingly devalue the clubs assets. Albeit, a good deal for JWP might bring in slightly more than his contribution to the club's assets was tallied at.

JWP is nowhere near as good as the lads who are playing for England or indeed Grealish who seems unable to stake a claim for a starting place in a Southgate team. One suspects he is seen as a bit limited if not quite a one trick pony. Talk of £50m is pie in the sky, £30m tops if we are lucky but more likely £20m + add ons like England appearances. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

JWP is nowhere near as good as the lads who are playing for England or indeed Grealish who seems unable to stake a claim for a starting place in a Southgate team. One suspects he is seen as a bit limited if not quite a one trick pony. Talk of £50m is pie in the sky, £30m tops if we are lucky but more likely £20m + add ons like England appearances. 

I wouldn't know where to even start unpicking all of that! 😁

20 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's not about how good he is compared to Grealish its more to do with the length of his contract.

£20m would buy you an upcoming midfielder who's had one stand out season in the Championship or the French League. It would get you something like Hojbjerg at the point we got him 5 years ago.

Saints are not going to sell JWP for less than £40m but I agree as above that we'd push for £50m. JWP is as close as you'd get to a risk-free signing for a club like Villa (or Everton etc) plus he's English and so on.

At the end of the day my belief is he's worth too much to us than any club would be prepared to pay. A bit like Ings last year - his contract was too long for anyone to splash out £50m for him.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Also talk of Rice being worth upwards of £80m...

JWP at his current level, at his age and contractual situation, and given we're likely to lose both Ings and Vestergaard, I'd expect Saints would only consider him leaving for silly money, i.e. north of £60m.  Anything less than that, I can't see the club being interested in losing him.

• Like 4

He's a world class set piece taker, that is undeniable.

He also has fantastic fitness levels, work rate and consistency levels. 

He's English, an England international (and was talked about being unlucky to miss out on the Euro squad, plus is generally well rated by neutrals) and a proven PL player. 

He's 26 so still likely to improve rather than decline and have big re-sale.

He's on a long contract.

He's our captain.

He's just had his best season. 

If if people have doubts about his general ability as a midfielder those factors above easily make him worth £50 million or more to have any potential of the board even entertaining selling him. 

As other have said look at the quoted figures for Rice, Kane, Grealish and what Sancho has gone for, you are talking £80 million to £100 plus million for those players, which easily equates to someone like JPW being worth around £50 million plus in the current market. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

He's a world class set piece taker, that is undeniable.

He also has fantastic fitness levels, work rate and consistency levels. 

He's English, an England international (and was talked about being unlucky to miss out on the Euro squad, plus is generally well rated by neutrals) and a proven PL player. 

He's 26 so still likely to improve rather than decline and have big re-sale.

He's on a long contract.

He's our captain.

He's just had his best season. 

If if people have doubts about his general ability as a midfielder those factors above easily make him worth £50 million or more to have any potential of the board even entertaining selling him. 

As other have said look at the quoted figures for Rice, Kane, Grealish and what Sancho has gone for, you are talking £80 million to £100 plus million for those players, which easily equates to someone like JPW being worth around £50 million plus in the current market. 

He’s only worth what someone’s willing to pay for him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not quite. He's not for sale and he's on a long contract so he can be worth what we say he is worth. For now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He's worth what we are willing to sell him for because that's what it would require for a sale to happen. If no one wants to buy him he just stays.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

He's worth what we are willing to sell him for because that's what it would require for a sale to happen. If no one wants to buy him he just stays.

I could say my house is worth 1.4 million, but if someone’s only willing to pay 450k, it’s worth 450k. Alternatively, I could take it off the market because nobody will pay the asking price. That still doesn’t make it worth 1.4 million. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I could say my house is worth 1.4 million, but if someone’s only willing to pay 450k, it’s worth 450k. Alternatively, I could take it off the market because nobody will pay the asking price. However, that doesn’t make it worth 1.4 million. 

If you would only take £1.4m for it, it is worth £1.4m. Sales are not a prerequisite for value.

A players value is determined by their value to their team, if that differs from their value to other teams then their value doesn't become the other teams pricetag as he would never go for that, which is the definition of value - "how much you would have to pay to get them".

Ask yourself, if Saints value a player at £40m and everyone else values him at £20m, is that player available at £20m? If no then that is not his value. Simple as that.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

If you would only take £1.4m for it, it is worth £1.4m. Sales are not a prerequisite for value.

A players value is determined by their value to their team, if that differs from their value to other teams then their value doesn't become the other teams pricetag as he would never go for that, which is the definition of value - "how much you would have to pay to get them".

Ask yourself, if Saints value a player at £40m and everyone else values him at £20m, is that player available at £20m? If no then that is not his value. Simple as that.

Whilst this is yet another pointless discussion, it's wrong to say that a players value is determined by their value to the team. An asking price is exactly that, but value is determined by market forces, ie what someone is willing to pay. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, egg said:

Whilst this is yet another pointless discussion, it's wrong to say that a players value is determined by their value to the team. An asking price is exactly that, but value is determined by market forces, ie what someone is willing to pay. 

It can be either, it depends whether it's an asset you want to offload or keep. Offload and it's a buyers market, keep and it's a sellers market.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

It can be either, it depends whether it's an asset you want to offload or keep. Offload and it's a buyers market, keep and it's a sellers market.

Nail on the head. We don't want to sell jwp therefore his value is what we deem it to be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

But it can also be what no one is willing to pay.

Because JWP isn't for sale and he has a long contract. So we can just sit tight and refuse any offer from anyone with an offer they are "willing to pay" because it's not our valuation.

But yes it is a pointless discussion. 

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Because JWP isn't for sale and he has a long contract. So we can just sit tight and refuse any offer from anyone with an offer they are "willing to pay" because it's not our valuation.

Sure is! Can be argued either way, but I can't be arsed...we're a couple of hours away from finding out who we've got in the final. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I want to know what @Matthew Le Godhas to say before I decide which of your opinions are correct 🙄

• Haha 1

If you've got £50m to spend on a high profile signing (but only £50m) then you're not spending it on JWP. Outside of the top six, clubs are only spending that kind of money on difference-making attackers, not a safe pair of hands in central midfield.

12 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

If you've got £50m to spend on a high profile signing (but only £50m) then you're not spending it on JWP. Outside of the top six, clubs are only spending that kind of money on difference-making attackers, not a safe pair of hands in central midfield.

Then he'll be staying.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/07/2021 at 17:58, CB Fry said:

Not quite. He's not for sale and he's on a long contract so he can be worth what we say he is worth. For now.

Agreed CB. 

obviously Villa are dipping their toe into the market, but with regard to the " suggested bid " , quoted above....

I'd say £25 mill. is for his left foot....... what price for his right?

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

If Ben White is £50m — Surely only £60m is worth thinking about.

Hard to tell if there was any truth in the Yangel rumours, but this would be the only thing that makes sense. 

Ward Prowse wouldnt fetch as much as Ben White. No chance. 

FWIW, white was criminally over priced. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Hard to tell if there was any truth in the Yangel rumours, but this would be the only thing that makes sense. 

No doubt there is truth. Villa definitely did bid I reckon. It's a saints classic, lose a big name, make some bids on ambitious signings way below their value to excite the fanbase, then find more realistic targets later in the window.

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

Ward Prowse wouldnt fetch as much as Ben White. No chance. 

FWIW, white was criminally over priced. 

Saints captain, one less goal contribution than Grealish, on a long term deal vs Brightons 2nd/3rd best CB after his first season in the premier league. I feel we probably would expect quite a bit more than White.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yep.

If White = £50m and Grealish = £90m then JWP should, at least, = £70m. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, northam soul said:

So who is on the cards as a JWP replacement then.

Henderson, Rice or should we be aiming a bit higher than that.

Smallbone I suspect

We don't buy success; we breed it!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, northam soul said:

I understand you are being a tad sarcastic,but If a deal was struck…..would thomas Delaney be the most serious option if available? 
I’d ruddy love us to sign him 

4 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Smallbone, maybe fund Maitland-Niles? Delaney?

I wouldn't expect - or want - to blow £40M on this position. Use it to buy A.Armstrong as well, and a proper back-up LB (so Djenepo isn't calling on for that role).

Anyway, it's all moot until Villa make a sensible offer.

45 minutes ago, TWar said:

Saints captain, one less goal contribution than Grealish, on a long term deal vs Brightons 2nd/3rd best CB after his first season in the premier league. I feel we probably would expect quite a bit more than White.

I don’t care about the stats. He won’t go for as much as White. 

14 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Smallbone, maybe fund Maitland-Niles? Delaney?

I wouldn't expect - or want - to blow £40M on this position. Use it to buy A.Armstrong as well, and a proper back-up LB (so Djenepo isn't calling on for that role).

Anyway, it's all moot until Villa make a sensible offer.

40m + another 40m (give or take) from Ings and Vestergaard would give us a very nice kitty to rebuild. 

Other than ings, the other 2 are replaceable imo. 

£20m each on a decent CM, CB and attacking midfielder. Use the rest on a decent replacement for ings. 

We’ll need to be quick however. 

Cheeky fuckers. That’s like City going in for Grealish at say £40 million.

Double it, add loads of clauses and then tell them to fuck off.

JWP is a Saint and our most important player and only a whopping offer of £50 million+ or a hissy-fit-style transfer request forcing our hand will be good enough.

• Like 3

Just now, SKD said:

Do you honestly think villa are going to double the value of their first offer 😂😂

He’ll go for about 40m. 

No, I don't. I think Villa put in a derisory offer about half his value, as said in the athletic, and they won't up it to what we want and therefore he will stay.

• Like 3

Just now, TWar said:

No, I don't. I think Villa put in a derisory offer about half his value, as said in the athletic, and they won't up it to what we want and therefore he will stay.

I agree with the opinion that he’ll stay. Which kind of proves he’s not worth 50£m, if other clubs aren’t willing to pay it though? No? 

• Confused 2

Just now, SKD said:

I agree with the opinion that he’ll stay. Which kind of proves he’s not worth 50£m, if other clubs aren’t willing to pay it though? No? 

A players value if they aren't for sale is whatever the club selling them would accept for them. A players value if they are for sale is whatever the highest bidder will give. Since JWP is categorically not for sale and is a massive part of our future plans, I'd describe it as the former.

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic