What is the best goal you've ever seen live at a Saints game?

tunit

2 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Tom Jenkins at West Ham, Bank Holiday Monday 1970, my first ever away game. Saints in gold and black. Dribbled past the entire home defence, left Bobby Moore on his arse and then curled the ball into the net. Hurst equalised with a dodgy penalty

You beat me to it. I think Jenkins ran about 3/4 of the length of the pitch too?Wonderful goal. I seem to remember Jimmy Greaves going down easily in the box for their equaliser. Tommy Jenkins went on a similarly mazy run in another match but was brought down in the box for a penalty.

39 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Team goal, Channon against Liverpool.  

Solo goal, Steve Williams against Norwich,  picked up a pass from Keegan on the half way line, beat five players and then curled it round the keeper.

Total football goal, Danny Wallace against Liverpool. Left back Dennis crosses from left wing touchline, back post header from a centre back , Mark Wright for Wallaces overhead kick.

Insane individual brilliance, MLT against Newcastle .

Agree with all those. The Steve Williams goal was amazing.

I have to add a Cyrille Regis for WBA at the Dell. It was basically Cyrille playing the role of Terminator after collecting the ball at the half way line and charging towards our goal . Brutal but a worthy contender.

George Best scored a beauty in the mud against Saints. Broke my heart as a 7 yo. I discussed this with him shortly before he died, when I came across him in a pub (of course). He remembered the goal, but equally remembered being kicked relentlessly by our mad centre half. That would have been Mcgrath I suspect.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wooley7 said:

Le Tiss at Ewood Park. One of the best I have seen, live or otherwise.

Agree has to be same for me, his other goal in that game was good as well and still managed to end up on the losing team. 

1 hour ago, explorer saint said:

Barry Horne v Bolton in the cup at the Dell late equaliser and went on to win 3-2 

Very sweet as had also made the journey for the first game at Burnden Park 

Just seen already mentioned above :)

Unbelievable scenes for that one, proper magic of the cup 

55 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Rodriguez away at Fulham in a 3-0 win in our 2nd season back up.  I think it was the 3rd and rounded off a superb dismantling of the home side.

I have a soft spot for that goal too. Came at a time when we were playing some great football.

I really can't pick the best goal I've seen. Personally I prefer great runs or team moves over someone smashing one in from 30 yards. I'd probably go for Boufal against West Brom which gets extra marks for making 2 players run into each other or that Ekulend goal featuring a  bunch of 1-2's with MLT. 

Well I would imagine for those of us aged 55 and over it has to be Bobby Stokes at Wembley in 1976 just for sheer pandemonium joy elation dreams and never ending memories 

Then the last real goal at the Dell from MLT which made me cry for what it meant

• Like 5

On 17/11/2022 at 09:56, tunit said:

Doesn't have to be for us.

Unfortunately for me I think it would have to be Cameron Jerome's for Stoke.

Although I've only recently got a season ticket so have missed most of the good ones at home :(

Strangely, this is the one I always think of too. An absolute thunderb*stard of a hit, with that satisfying/sickening from our perspective hit on the underside of the bar for good measure.

For Saints, Lallana v Hull or Lallana v West Brom Jan 04. That last one an under-rated one I feel, not for rat-boy's finish but for the way Ramirez laid the ball off to him leaving the keeper entirely out of the picture. The Villa game is oft discussed with Gaston but that was another sign of what might have been.

Edited by Colinjb

For me it's between two, Channon's v Liverpool (82) as a team goal, and MLT's first v Newcastle (94 I think). Don't think anything else comes close.

Realise  how privileged I've been to live through a golden age of Saints to have seen those two talents for most of their careers playing for us. Difficult to choose between them, but as much as I loved the Channon goal and never tire of seeing it, I think MLT's edges it remembering the emotions at the time. He was half way inside their half, with two defenders in front of him, but from the moment he controlled the ball you sensed he was going to do something special and make a route to goal. I'm not sure there was any other player in the world at that time that would have inspired such confidence.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

One of my favs is the Jan Paul Saejis fk vs Watford in the last min. Also Lallana vs QPR which was the same season I think? In more recent years then Redmonds against Chelsea, although it was even better in person as you couldn’t see it deflected off Kante beforehand.

Total football in full flow.... 

Lallana against Hull is right up there for me, he really was at the top of his game there. 

Lambert at MK, Schneiderlin at Bristol Rovers or Clyne at the Emirates in the cup too. 

For opposition goals, was there for Cameron Jerome unfortunately. Was it Joe Garner for Forest in 08/09 who scored a lob from about 35 yards? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Badger said:

Solely FA Cup goals:

Gilchrist v Palace (the dream was on... )

Moran at Fratton

Bobby Stokes, say no more. 

(Okay, that's a different kind of best).

You have to be of a similar age to me (74) to understand the significance of those, particularly Gilchrist's goal at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup semi-final. The Cup was everything then, and stood behind that goal, the realisation that WE were going to Wembley for the Cup Final! There had been loads of build-up, mostly around the showman that was Malcolm Allison and his bloody hat! Happy days!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, John B said:

Bobby Stokes 1 May 1976 Wembley Stadium

The atmosphere was elecric after he scored

Can I have the best offside too Jim Steele stepped up with hardly any time left and caught them all was incredible calmness and ran down the clock.

Marians against the Skates at St Mary’s 3-0

Big Rons diving header against Wolves at The Dell

24 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Can I have the best offside too Jim Steele stepped up with hardly any time left and caught them all was incredible calmness and ran down the clock.

Marians against the Skates at St Mary’s 3-0

Big Rons diving header against Wolves at The Dell

David Burnside's goal in the FA Cup QF Replay was something special too bring the score to 3 3 after being 3 0 down with fifteen minutes to go.

Terry Paine's goal at Leyton Orient in 1966 was special too giving us promotion to Div 1

Times we different then for 30 years or so we only had three managers and some truly excellent players

7 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I was there for Matt's goal of the season winner at Blackburn, which is an obvious pick but Pelle's goal against QPR was brilliant too. Matt's free kick against Wimbledon was special as well.

Yes, good recollection. 

Not sure what the definition of best is in this instance, but for me it was Michael Swenson equalising deep into stoppage time to draw 2-2 with Fulham at Selhurst Park, mainly because Antti Niemi went up for the corner, chested the ball down, theN volleyed it against the bar for Svennson to nod in the rebound.   Limbs everywhere.  I was flaming stoned as well which helped the enjoyment 

21 hours ago, Piran said:

You have to be of a similar age to me (74) to understand the significance of those, particularly Gilchrist's goal at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup semi-final. The Cup was everything then, and stood behind that goal, the realisation that WE were going to Wembley for the Cup Final! There had been loads of build-up, mostly around the showman that was Malcolm Allison and his bloody hat! Happy days!

What about Hughie Fisher's last minute equaliser at the Dell against Villa. No equaliser no Wembley five months later.

Some that not mentioned so far

Matt Oakley x2 - didn’t score many but they were usually stunners. Two that stand out are his more famous 30 yard stunner v the Skates and his less mentioned MLT style flick up and volley in free kick at home to Hull

MLT - volley at home to Forest, Clough’s last season and home to Norwich late 80s, beat two defenders and curled an outrageous lob over Bryan Gun in off the post 

Scott Parker - two brilliant goals in Saints 3-2 home win v Charlton. Me and others applauded them, they were that good.

Mark Venus - WGS first game, brute of a 30 yard left foot hammer into the roof of the net, made a nestling sound as it hit the net.

Tugay - another long range blockbuster although that game is better remembered for Friedel’s world class display

Wayne Bridge v Bolton away - cut in and smashed it into the roof of the net in what had been a dire game until then. 

Marian v Wimbledon home, solo goal

Chaplow v Huddersfield for Saints 4th, capped off a flowing passing move of 12-15 passes from memory, playing some wonderful stuff under Nigel

16 hours ago, John B said:

David Burnside's goal in the FA Cup QF Replay was something special too bring the score to 3 3 after being 3 0 down with fifteen minutes to go.

Terry Paine's goal at Leyton Orient in 1966 was special too giving us promotion to Div 1

Times we different then for 30 years or so we only had three managers and some truly excellent players

Were you there? Who knows we could have been standing next to one another. I remember it very well, we were speechless and close to tears at the end of the match. All those years of waiting but never quite believing it would ever happen.

On 17/11/2022 at 15:29, revolution saint said:

Barry Horne goal against Bolton in the FA Cup always springs to mind whenever this topic comes up.  We were losing and into injury time when he pops up and produces a screamer from 35 yards that levels the match.  Not sure if it's the best goal I've ever seen but certainly up there.

This springs to mind for me as well, the timing of it makes it even better. Or obviously one of MLT’s. His Second v Norwich or the free-kick v Wimbledon.

I swear it was during that Bolton game when MLT tried to score direct from kick-off. Someone tapped it to him and he shot from the centre circle and the keeper only just managed to tip it over. One of the many insane MLT moments of skill that, whilst didn’t end up being a goal we’re worth the entrance fee alone.

Both been mentioned before but for me, MLT last goal at the Dell. Perfect.

Also the goal that never was. Kevin Keegan overhead v Man Utd. Ridiculously disallowed but justice through David Armstrong with last minute winner. 

Two fabulous moments that sum up the joy of football.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Some that not mentioned so far

Matt Oakley x2 - didn’t score many but they were usually stunners. Two that stand out are his more famous 30 yard stunner v the Skates and his less mentioned MLT style flick up and volley in free kick at home to Hull

He also scored a kind of scissor kick away at QPR in about 1992 to equalise and make it 2-2. I've looked on YouTube but can't find it.

Edit - actually it was David Hughes not Oakley. And it was 1994. No wonder I couldn't find it!

Edited by The Cat

17 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

Both been mentioned before but for me, MLT last goal at the Dell. Perfect.

Also the goal that never was. Kevin Keegan overhead v Man Utd. Ridiculously disallowed but justice through David Armstrong with last minute winner. 

Two fabulous moments that sum up the joy of football.

That keegan goal was class side scissor kick in the top corner !  

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He also scored a kind of scissor kick away at QPR in about 1992 to equalise and make it 2-2. I've looked on YouTube but can't find it.

Edit - actually it was David Hughes not Oakley. And it was 1994. No wonder I couldn't find it!

Found it. Decent goal but not as good as I remember it being from the top tier.

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Remember that, was over the Xmas period.

Doddy scored the odd blockbuster now I recall - one at Everton which the players on both sides said you could hear fizz in the air on the volley and it nearly took the keeper in with it. Another at home to West Ham from 30 yards to open the scoring. 

Missed Delap’s overhead kick v Spurs live, lent my old man my ST as I watching the Test in Barbados. Saw it come up on an ESPN clip in a St Lawrence Gap bar. 

One goal, I was there for but didn't see was in 1967 or thereabouts. Saints best Chelsea 6-2 at Stamford Bridge but Peter Osgood scored a late consolation for Chelsea that people said was the best individual goal they'd seen. By that stage I was more concerned about the Chelea fans moving ominously from the shed end threateningly towards us Saints fans at the other end and wasn't watching the game. Quite annoying when people are saying - oh what a goal.  Did anyone see it?

4 hours ago, aintforever said:

This springs to mind for me as well, the timing of it makes it even better. Or obviously one of MLT’s. His Second v Norwich or the free-kick v Wimbledon.

I swear it was during that Bolton game when MLT tried to score direct from kick-off. Someone tapped it to him and he shot from the centre circle and the keeper only just managed to tip it over. One of the many insane MLT moments of skill that, whilst didn’t end up being a goal we’re worth the entrance fee alone.

Amazing cup tie that. I went up to Burnden Park for the original fixture. We were two nil up and absolutely strolling it. They made an attacking sub at half time, can't remember who it was that came on, but they ran us ragged in the second half. The noise their crowd made was tremendous. The atmosphere in the replay was brilliant too. Take a look a at that away end. Bolton brought thousands down, which for a midweek game was bloody impressive. I don't think I've seen a busier Dell.  That game, Swindon and Oldham all stick in m mind as the great midweek cup fixtures at the Dell atmosphere wise.

• Like 1

Of the ones I was there for…
1. MLT x 3 vs. Norwich (MLT at his absolute best on a freezing cold night at the Dell)

2. MLT flick up and volley free kick vs. Wimbledon (couldn’t believe he’d tried it, let alone scored it)

3. Wayne Thomas screamer vs. Ipswich (sat right behind it, could see it was going to fly in the moment it left his boot)

4. Horne vs. Bolton (for the pitch invasion) 

5. Ruddock last-minute penalty vs. Newcastle (for the celebration) 

Honorary mention for Clyne’s thunderbolt vs Arsenal at the Emirates as it knocked them out and I know a lot of gooners! 

Edited by Midfield_General

Some magical moments, I was there for some, not for others. 

Perhaps someone could help me out, I recall Steve Williams scoring at the Archers Road end, dribbled past several players, rounded the keeper but was forced out very wide (left side), still tucked it in from what must have been the acutest of angles, the crowd thought the chance had gone. Not "the best" but one that I still remember.