New Manager

Bakovnetski

I'm not sure if the Adkins shouts are just joking, or serious? I don't know why people still think it's viable if they're being serious about it!

Adkins was great for us, pulled us out of the mire and got us promoted with a great team and a major feelgood factor. Would we really want to tarnish that reputation and our history by having him in charge whilst we're relegated?

No denying he's positive and all that, but he would be well over his head in this situation and it would tarnish the memory of someone who gave me the best years i've had supporting this club.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I thought Steve Cotterill was there. I could be wrong, or shows how behind with the managerial merry-go-rounds I am.

Pearson has been managing Bristol City for a while now, not achieving anything mind.

Edited by S-Clarke

45 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Has anyone seen the new Athletic spiel about the Marsch situation?

Painting it as everything was agreed, but Marsch slept on it and decided the timing wasn't right. Nothing to do with the length etc as this was all verbally agreed on. I think it was both parties to be honest.

The interesting bit is that it proclaims the club saw it as crucial to act swiftly and decisively to have a manager in place for Chelsea, which is why they went after Marsch so ‘aggressively’. That went well then. And now that urgent need for swift and decisiveness seems to be leading them back to ''Selles is great, he was always our choice anyway'’ – even though he wasn’t 4 days ago. I'm all a bit confused as to what our plan is right now!

Have the club actually said that Selles was always their choice? I've not heard that. I guess if Marsch changed his mind yesterday they had no option but to declare Selles will be in charge this weekend but interesting that you reckon they've now said he was always their choice. Does this mean he's in place until the end of the season? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm not sure if the Adkins shouts are just joking, or serious? I don't know why people still think it's viable if they're being serious about it!

Adkins was great for us, pulled us out of the mire and got us promoted with a great team and a major feelgood factor. Would we really want to tarnish that reputation and our history by having him in charge whilst we're relegated?

No denying he's positive and all that, but he would be well over his head in this situation and it would tarnish the memory of someone who gave me the best years i've had supporting this club.

I don't really get this argument. Is Shearer legacy at Newcastle tarnished because he tried to keep them up once and failed. I certainly wouldn't feel any differently about those great years if he accepted if asked to come help Selles out until the summer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I don't really get this argument. Is Shearer legacy at Newcastle tarnished because he tried to keep them up once and failed. I certainly wouldn't feel any differently about those great years if he accepted if asked to come help Selles out until the summer.

The bloke (Adkins) has been an absolute disaster everywhere he's been since he left here.  Whilst it would be nostalgic to have him back, he's not what we need right now.  We had the best of Nigel back then, no point going back and ruining what are brilliant memories.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, saintant said:

Have the club actually said that Selles was always their choice? I've not heard that. I guess if Marsch changed his mind yesterday they had no option but to declare Selles will be in charge this weekend but interesting that you reckon they've now said he was always their choice. Does this mean he's in place until the end of the season? 

Sorry, should have clarified - they haven't directly said that, no....but they're inferring it in all the leaks and bits they're putting out about how great he is, how he's always been considered an option etc.

They might be right! We'll wait and see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

The bloke (Adkins) has been an absolute disaster everywhere he's been since he left here.  Whilst it would be nostalgic to have him back, he's not what we need right now.  We had the best of Nigel back then, no point going back and ruining what are brilliant memories.

Depends on what you think we need right now. If they are going with Selles, you'd hope it is with thought of it likely being cheap and most likely temporary(unless he blows the bloody doors off) with view to appointing right man for promotion in the summer. In which case Selles could likely do with some support whether that's a coach or an experienced head to bounce ideas off.

20 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Except the only reason you want him to come is because of what he did previously. You wouldn't be recommending any other manager who has recently failed at Sheffield United and Charlton (or similar clubs) in League One. 

So I don't get the argument why you want him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

He did well at hull and he’s generally walked into difficult situations as a manager.. I wouldn’t be against a selles / Adkins partnership until The end of the season 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

It will be Selles as we still need to pay Nathan Jones his salary for the next 3.5years in full (according to The Sun): https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21399438/nathan-jones-southampton-pay-sacked/

Does anyone know how these things work if mad Nate manages to get a job at another club? Does he still get the 3.5 years pay off?

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Does anyone know how these things work if mad Nate manages to get a job at another club? Does he still get the 3.5 years pay off?

His lawyers will currently be discussing with Saints’ lawyers what his pay out should be. Their starting point will be the remainder of his contract. If he doesn’t get a job between now and the settlement being agreed then he will probably get most of his contract paid up. If he gets another job in the meantime then depending upon what he gets paid in his new job, Saints will have to pay him less. Saints might try and drag this out for a while to see if he goes elsewhere unless they just want shot of him. What none of us know is whether there is some other clause in his contract which limits our liability to him.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I don't think he gets paid of he gets another job, I think that was a big part of Marsch turning us down, if he can to St Mary's he would forgo his Leeds millions for the next few seasons. We would have to make him a better offer than what he is making sitting on his couch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Except the only reason you want him to come is because of what he did previously. You wouldn't be recommending any other manager who has recently failed at Sheffield United and Charlton (or similar clubs) in League One. 

So I don't get the argument why you want him.

He is at the right point in his career that he might do a temp combo act, rather than pursuing his own long-term solo management career. Being a club legend is obviously the reason why he jumps to mind, also maybe a reason he might do it like shearer/brooking jumped into the fire at Newcastle / west ham etc. would some other veteran ex premier league manager(hodgson /allerdyche) even want to come in to play that supporting role?

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

He is at the right point in his career that he might do a temp combo act, rather than pursuing his own long-term solo management career. Being a club legend is obviously the reason why he jumps to mind, also maybe a reason he might do it like shearer/brooking jumped into the fire at Newcastle / west ham etc. would some other veteran ex premier league manager(hodgson /allerdyche) even want to come in to play that supporting role?

But I don't know what anyone gains from this if it happens? 

We still get relegated, we look a bit daft by appointing someone who was never going to work, he doesn't stay on next season and the whole period will have done everyone damage. I cannot see the reasoning behind it, it makes no sense.

Sure, Shearer did it for Newcastle but whilst it didn't totally ruin his rep (they got relegated by the way), it did hit his rep, and he had fans who once worshiped him thinking he was a bit of a joke. That was a romantic decision that went badly wrong, and that's why appointments like this need to be done with the head and not the heart.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We still get relegated, we look a bit daft by appointing someone who was never going to work, he doesn't stay on next season and the whole period will have done everyone damage. I cannot see the reasoning behind it, it makes no sense.

Sure, Shearer did it for Newcastle but whilst it didn't totally ruin his rep (they got relegated by the way), it did have a knock on it and he had fans who worshiped him thinking he was a bit of a joke. That was a romantic decision that went badly wrong, and that's why appointments like this need to be done with the head and not the heart.

Adkins is not a Saints legend the way Shearer is at Newcastle. Adkins was a nice fellow, at least that would be an improvement on the last oddball but there is no way  he would impact the Premier Lg. There's not many who would, and that's the problem

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I think Shearer was only in charge at Newcastle for 8 games - they won 1 drew 2 and lost 5.  We need someone for 16 games so not far off half a season. We need to either give the job to Selles for the rest of the season or, find someone who we think has a chance of winning enough games to keep us up. 

39 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

His lawyers will currently be discussing with Saints’ lawyers what his pay out should be. Their starting point will be the remainder of his contract. If he doesn’t get a job between now and the settlement being agreed then he will probably get most of his contract paid up. If he gets another job in the meantime then depending upon what he gets paid in his new job, Saints will have to pay him less. Saints might try and drag this out for a while to see if he goes elsewhere unless they just want shot of him. What none of us know is whether there is some other clause in his contract which limits our liability to him.

Doesn't he have a legal obligation to "mitigate his loss"? Failing to make a reasonable effort to find another job, or unreasonably turning one down, would negatively impact his legal entitlement to severance pay.

Having said that, we're talking about a guy with (now) two gigantic shit-splats on his CV, so it might be a while before he gets a chance to turn down any decent football jobs.

Unless his contract contains some language that could allow SR to claim "dismissal for cause", they're probably resigned to a major payout. Sickening, really, considering what happens to normal people who screw-up badly at work.

• Haha 1

Siri, show me what a continuing shambles is

Southampton would be happy for interim manager Ruben Selles to take charge until the end of the season, but the club will take their time before making any decision #saintsfc 

9 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

Doesn't he have a legal obligation to "mitigate his loss"? Failing to make a reasonable effort to find another job, or unreasonably turning one down, would negatively impact his legal entitlement to severance pay.

Having said that, we're talking about a guy with (now) two gigantic shit-splats on his CV, so it might be a while before he gets a chance to turn down any decent football jobs.

Unless his contract contains some language that could allow SR to claim "dismissal for cause", they're probably resigned to a major payout. Sickening, really, considering what happens to normal people who screw-up badly at work.

He does have to mitigate his loss but it doesn’t mean in an employment context that he has to take any shit job that’s going. Saints’ lawyers will use this as a negotiating tool and Jones won’t hang out for every penny that’s due. If he takes us to court and wins he will still have unrecoverable legal costs. My bet is that he will cut a deal with us but he won’t give us much of a discount!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

He does have to mitigate his loss but it doesn’t mean in an employment context that he has to take any shit job that’s going. Saints’ lawyers will use this as a negotiating tool and Jones won’t hang out for every penny that’s due. If he takes us to court and wins he will still have unrecoverable legal costs. My bet is that he will cut a deal with us but he won’t give us much of a discount!

I doubt any of this, why wouldn't his severance terms have been explicitly defined in his contract? No one would enter into a contract without terms and conditions being set out (neither side). Doubt he would be entitled to full amount of his contract either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Sure, Shearer did it for Newcastle but whilst it didn't totally ruin his rep (they got relegated by the way), it did hit his rep, and he had fans who once worshiped him thinking he was a bit of a joke. That was a romantic decision that went badly wrong, and that's why appointments like this need to be done with the head and not the heart.

The idea mooted was that if it is going to be selles till the end of the season, When we've sacked all of ralph's and Jones' coaches surely there's a void to be filled at the very least by some sort of short term coaching/assistant hire. Hence why an experienced veteran manager as assistant with saints connections was suggested.(So Selles gains someone to support/bounce ideas off who has been there before)

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He’d have an affiliation with the fans and JWP. That is it.

I love him for what he did as we all do, but I can’t see him getting the best out of Bednarek, or Diallo, or AMN for example.

Times have changed now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Siri, show me what a continuing shambles is

Southampton would be happy for interim manager Ruben Selles to take charge until the end of the season, but the club will take their time before making any decision #saintsfc 

I reckon the decision has already been made.

To some extent I agree, in the sense of paying someone to come in and correct things in a short space of time is a gamble.

But Christ, I’d say it’s worth the gamble for our Premier League status.

Problem is who wants to come here short term and put things right? No one. Especially without a promise of something more if they’re successful.

Equally no one of any high calibre is going to be attracted to the club with a lot of money being thrown at them and a few clauses and promises along the way. SR have already spent near £15-20m just on RH and NJ compensation and pay offs. I don’t see them wanting to fork out again sadly with no idea what division we’ll be in in three months time.

SR are damned if they do and damned if they don’t right now. Too many mistakes have cost us this season on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dellman said:

Adkins was a nice fellow, at least that would be an improvement on the last oddball but there is no way  he would impact the Premier Lg. 

In 2023 Nathan Jones is a better manager than Nigel Adkins. Jones will manage in championship again, Adkins won’t. He finished, career over, FFS. Why are people banging on about him as if he’s some sort of Wenger type elder statesman. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

In 2023 Nathan Jones is a better manager than Nigel Adkins. Jones will manage in championship again, Adkins won’t. He finished, career over, FFS. Why are people banging on about him as if he’s some sort of Wenger type elder statesman. 

Yeah like he is some football manager version of Yoda

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

The idea mooted was that if it is going to be selles till the end of the season, When we've sacked all of ralph's and Jones' coaches surely there's a void to be filled at the very least by some sort of short term coaching/assistant hire. Hence why an experienced veteran manager as assistant with saints connections was suggested.(So Selles gains someone to support/bounce ideas off who has been there before)

What is Garry Monk doing these days? I know he wasn't too successful in his latter stints but hell he has some experience and Saints connection, he could also bring Beattie with him as he was often part of his backup team. Monk, Selles and Beattie might not be such a bad shout, nothing really to lose.

18 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Omnishambles. Sack the board. I'm going to organise a march to the stadium, and then go to the pub. 

Let's face it, we deserve to go down. Just hope the people who own us have learnt some harsh lessons about being a bit fucking smarter. 

if the saints are united we will never be divided, I say.

”if you think rasmus is not very smart clap your hands”

let’s hit them where it hurts!!