Ruben Selles

Dusic

21 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Che is playing over Onuachu IMO, because he can defend from the front and put a shift in, and probably offers more all around than Onuachu does, I also think having some competition is a kick up the ass for Che too. Like you say he also has the experience. 

There is no doubt that we're looking at not throwing games away in the first half under Selles, whereas under Jones we threw games away before we'd started. 

If we can keep it tight in most games this season, turn narrow 1-0 losses into draws, and draws into the odd win, then we have a genuine chance on staying up, which I think the majority of us never thought we had a chance of a few months ago.  

I've no idea on stats, but it feels like the players are working way harder and covering more ground under Selles than under Jones. The players never wanted Jones, and clearly were not playing for him.

There was always a chance, but just not the way we were playing. And the longer that went on the harder it would be to turn around. Even now, the margins are so tight that taking less than 3 points from Brentford and Spurs could very likely leave us adrift once again.

Credit Selles for turning around the atmosphere and keeping us in games and getting results, but i do think we need to be objective. We were extremely lucky to beat Chelsea and Leicester (given oppo chances missed), and we ultimately did fail to score vs 10man united whilst also getting a bit of jam with them not scoring. It would not have taken very much for those two wins to have been draws or losses, and for the united game to have been a loss... Any of those results going worse than they did, and we'd be rock bottom/adrift again.

We have to just keep going as we are and hope that we get the rub of the green - or become more clinical. If we can take 4 ponts from Brentfor and Spurs going into the international break, we might even get ourselves up to 17th and have put ourselves really in the mix to stay up subject to other results - although think 26points is more likely to be 18th place. But eitherway, its going to be a crazy end to the season - any clubs that can put together some form are going to get out of it, whilst ones that can't get any momentum (or drop points vs rivals) will be trapped in the general malaise right up to the final whistle of the season!!

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

There was always a chance, but just not the way we were playing. And the longer that went on the harder it would be to turn around. Even now, the margins are so tight that taking less than 3 points from Brentford and Spurs could very likely leave us adrift once again.

Credit Selles for turning around the atmosphere and keeping us in games and getting results, but i do think we need to be objective. We were extremely lucky to beat Chelsea and Leicester (given oppo chances missed), and we ultimately did fail to score vs 10man united whilst also getting a bit of jam with them not scoring. It would not have taken very much for those two wins to have been draws or losses, and for the united game to have been a loss... Any of those results going worse than they did, and we'd be rock bottom/adrift again.

We have to just keep going as we are and hope that we get the rub of the green - or become more clinical. If we can take 4 ponts from Brentfor and Spurs going into the international break, we might just get ourselves up to 17th and have put ourselves really in the mix to stay up. But its going to be a crazy end to the season - any clubs that can put together some form are going to get out of it, whilst ones that can't get any momentum (or drop points vs rivals) will be trapped in the general malaise right up to the final whistle of the season!!

People calling the Chelsea and Leicester games lucky are not giving a fair picture imo, we took the lead in the first half of both games, we clearly retreated to defend those leads and as such gave up chances which we always would - but we also had good chances in both games (particularly Chelsea) despite being 1-0 up. Whereas in the United game where we were never in the lead, we remained in control most of the game and created chances until the end. Equally, you could say if we hadn’t conceded a really stupid goal against Leeds then we’d have a point more right now, so it goes both ways. Ultimately, all that matters at this stage is results, and so far under Selles we have been getting them - but this week is massive.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

People calling the Chelsea and Leicester games lucky are not giving a fair picture imo, we took the lead in the first half of both games, we clearly retreated to defend those leads and as such gave up chances which we always would - but we also had good chances in both games (particularly Chelsea) despite being 1-0 up. Whereas in the United game where we were never in the lead, we remained in control most of the game and created chances until the end. Equally, you could say if we hadn’t conceded a really stupid goal against Leeds then we’d have a point more right now, so it goes both ways. Ultimately, all that matters at this stage is results, and so far under Selles we have been getting them - but this week is massive.

Agreed.

We can look back on all those 1-0 games we lost too and say what if Adams scored against Wolves away, what if Lyanco didn't mess up for Forest at home or play a stupid pass for Palace away... could go on...

Are fans of those clubs saying they got away with one? 

Let's celebrate every bit of luck we get and be more confident - if we do win 1-0 it's fully merited unless it's due to a referee blunder or similar.

3 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Agreed. Didn't Napolean or someone say he'd rather a lucky general than a good general? 

Well Selles is a good manager and a lucky one

4 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I don't disagree. Hence saying that for the rest of the season we need to get the rub of the green more often than not - we simply aren't playing well enough to pick up points otherwise.

Edited by Saint86

Ruben is not to blame for this clusterfuck, so I have no problem with him.  But I don't think he is the answer going forwards, so ideally I'd like to see him replaced.  Problem is it will be the imbeciles in the boardroom who need to find a competent manager to take us on, and we all know what a mess they have made thus far. 

• Like 1

As I was saying the other day ..selles team selections are extremely questionable to say the least .. he seems to be getting a better tune out of our bunch..  but .. Jesus Christ this is a game where we can be on the front foot and you think it’s a good idea to start elyyoufuckingnoussi….how many times do you have to watch us to realise this guy isn’t gonna create shit isn’t gonna score or make any attacking impact on the game .. one of the main reasons I thought Ralph had lost the plot was this .. and here we are again.

atm I think this is where we are at.. we are better in games like Man Utd or Chelsea where we expect nothing . And therefore the onus isn’t on us to create anything, . Games where the onus is on us we suffer because our whole attack is totally bullshit, we then keep picking players who are proven in being totally bullshit and we cannot break down anyone who is set up . if we go behind, forget about it..

how many open play goals have we scored in the league this season ? Single digits I’d guess.. jwp freekicks is pretty much all we  have 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 6

Can someone please help me and explain why 3 managers have picked elyyoufuckingnoussi?

I honestly can’t see what he offers or does to justify his selection. No pace, power, no trick, doesn’t create, loses every tackle or header. 
What am I missing that 3 better football managers than me see in him?

As soon as saw his name we were done tonight. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Can someone please help me and explain why 3 managers have picked elyyoufuckingnoussi?

I honestly can’t see what he offers or does to justify his selection. No pace, power, no trick, doesn’t create, loses every tackle or header. 
What am I missing that 3 better football managers than me see in him?

As soon as saw his name we were done tonight. 

He's like mason mount but without any pace - works hard against the ball and holds his position well when we are defending. But just like mason mount when he has the ball he's barely a footballer can't pass, shoot, cross or do anything else that you would want from a footballer.

I can only guess that these players are favoured to balance against the luxury players who do nothing to help the team when the team doesn't have the ball. We don't have those luxury players so fuck knows what our managers see in elyuseless.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

He's like mason mount but without any pace - works hard against the ball and holds his position well when we are defending. But just like mason mount when he has the ball he's barely a footballer can't pass, shoot, cross or do anything else that you would want from a footballer.

I can only guess that these players are favoured to balance against the luxury players who do nothing to help the team when the team doesn't have the ball. We don't have those luxury players so fuck knows what our managers see in elyuseless.

Agreed I just don’t get it if you want someone to just mark space and hold position we should ask Dennis Rofe to put out a cone it would have far more end product.

I hate slating players and never boo but honestly he is so poor and 3 managers pick him but don’t get why. We have far better options even in under 18s!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

As I was saying the other day ..selles team selections are extremely questionable to say the least .. he seems to be getting a better tune out of our bunch..  but .. Jesus Christ this is a game where we can be on the front foot and you think it’s a good idea to start elyyoufuckingnoussi….how many times do you have to watch us to realise this guy isn’t gonna create shit isn’t gonna score or make any attacking impact on the game .. one of the main reasons I thought Ralph had lost the plot was this .. and here we are again.

atm I think this is where we are at.. we are better in games like Man Utd or Chelsea where we expect nothing . And therefore the onus isn’t on us to create anything, . Games where the onus is on us we suffer because our whole attack is totally bullshit, we then keep picking players who are proven in being totally bullshit and we cannot break down anyone who is set up . if we go behind, forget about it..

how many open play goals have we scored in the league this season ? Single digits I’d guess.. jwp freekicks is pretty much all we  have 

I read a horrifying stat last night. Nathan Tella has scored more goals from open play (5) in his last two games than we have since October 23rd. 🤯

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He's doing OK so far. We are very poor and our squad isn't up to the task. Jan signings have delivered very little so far - think 98/99 when we had players like Marsden, Kachloul and Pahars coming in and boosting the team. That's what you need in a scrap.

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Not sure I know what 'good against the ball' even means in this case as the man can't tackle, absolute waste of a shirt.

Edited by Bob76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

When I saw Bednarek go over to take an attacking throw, I knew then that Sellers needs to be let go in the summer 

We had 2 men in the box one was tiny Sully who exactly was Bednarek ‘long’ throw to?

Brentford almost scored on the break from smooth operator Schade 

I know he inherited quite literally a pile of shit but I can't say he has impressed me much, considering the low bar set by his predecessor. The defeat at home to Grimsby in the FA Cup is quite possibly the worst ever in our history if you take the position of the two clubs and the fact we were at home in the 5th Round. (Wrexham in 1974 were I believe in the third tier).

Selles has already started to make odd selections (Elyounoussi) and is too cautious considering only wins especially at home are any good to us. To me he's just a poor man's Ralph. Nicer and more popular with the players, maybe, but really not the sort to set the club alight with spirit and fight. We're going down with a whimper, at least in the past there was a little blood spilt.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
spellling
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

We’re playing RalphBall.  Anyone who starts Ely and Diallo when we have Lavia and a few others on the bench is, in my opinion, clueless.

If he gets the job next season I won’t renew my season ticket.

Unfortunately we won’t know if he’s going to be in charge until well past renewal date. If you want the early ‘bonus’ that is.

14 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I know he inherited quite literally a pile of shit but I can't say he has impressed me much, considering the low bar set by his predecessor. The defeat at home to Grimsby in the FA Cup is quite possibly the worst ever in our history if you take the position of the two clubs and the fact we were at home in the 5th Round. (Wrexham in 1974 were I believe in the third tier).

Selles has already started to make odd selections (Elyounoussi) and is too cautious considering only wins especially at home are any good to us. To me he's just a poor man's Ralph. Nicer and more popular with the players, maybe, but really not the sort to set the club alight with spirit and fight. We're going down with a whimper, at least in the past there was a little blood spilt.

Like him or loathe him we wouldn't be where we are now if we kept Puel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

. The defeat at home to Grimsby in the FA Cup is quite possibly the worst ever in our history if you take the position of the two clubs and the fact we were at home in the 5th Round. (Wrexham in 1974 were I believe in the third tier).

Wrexham 1974, we did at least get to see a bloke from Coronation Street introduced to the crowd and run on the pitch at half time (what a knob).

Nowadays we have light shows. 

Not sure which is better.

• Like 1

I don’t get the Elyounoussi selections either. The argument against Edozie and Djenepo is that they give up possession too easily, which they do.

However, to my eye Elyounoussi surrenders possession for us just as much and brings nothing and we all know it’s absolutely nothing going forward either. The only thing with Elyounoussi is that he loses the ball a lot of the time indirectly. Indirectly when he can’t get to a through ball because he’s too slow against any full-back in the league. While he also loses it directly because he moves at a walking pace when he does have the ball and he’s also a bit crap on the ball.  Leicester being the most recent example. He was brought on to help us defend a lead. We defended the lead, but it wasn’t any thanks to him as the ball was coming straight back down our end every time it went up the field.

Now, I also know that Edozie and Djenepo are a bit crap. But, for now they are Southampton players. They are two options and two better options than Elyounoussi and they’d have given the Brentford players a lot more to think about than what we offered up last night.

Heck, they’d at least win free kicks and that’s our best scoring opportunity at the moment, while  opposition defenders take the ball off Elyounoussi with ease.

You get nothing from not taking any gambles and this shit risk averse football that we play is leaving us rooted to the bottom of the league table.

• Like 8

I will always be baffled as to what managers see in both Diallo and Elyounoussi, I can only assume in training they do everything the manager asks like a good boy, but when you stick them out in the cauldron and up against 'real players', then they are simply hopeless. Too weak and no physicality for this level, it's plain to see. No level of training will change that, they will never, ever, ever cut it in this league or country.

It's a shame we're lumbered with them. You watch us offer Elyounoussi a new contract in the summer just to rub all our noses in it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Oh i think we did. We definitely did.

All personal opinion, but if he was manager we wouldn't be in this mess. You cant take the credit away of what he did in a small period of time. Re watch the League cup final and the quality of football he got the team to produce, let alone the 2 semi final legs against Liverpool , the game at Arsenal. Yes there were other disappointments eg Europe but those misses by VVD in those games cost us dearly

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OldNick said:

All personal opinion, but if he was manager we wouldn't be in this mess. You cant take the credit away of what he did in a small period of time. Re watch the League cup final and the quality of football he got the team to produce, let alone the 2 semi final legs against Liverpool , the game at Arsenal. Yes there were other disappointments eg Europe but those misses by VVD in those games cost us dearly

I think you can take one quick look at his career since he left us and deduce the fact that you're speaking nonsense.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Agreed I just don’t get it if you want someone to just mark space and hold position we should ask Dennis Rofe to put out a cone it would have far more end product.

I hate slating players and never boo but honestly he is so poor and 3 managers pick him but don’t get why. We have far better options even in under 18s!

Maybe we are where we are because of the three managers and their sometimes bizarre selections. The question has to be asked why are Elyonoussie, A Armstrong, Adams, Djenepo, Walcott, Onuachu, Orsic, etc even at the club. They are nowhere near good enough so who the hell identified them as targets. Whoever it is scouting them needs replacing because it's still happening. If we play Onuachu we have to play to his strengths, to expect him to fit in to our way is more stupidity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, derry said:

Maybe we are where we are because of the three managers and their sometimes bizarre selections. The question has to be asked why are Elyonoussie, A Armstrong, Adams, Djenepo, Walcott, Onuachu, Orsic, etc even at the club. They are nowhere near good enough so who the hell identified them as targets. Whoever it is scouting them needs replacing because it's still happening. If we play Onuachu we have to play to his strengths, to expect him to fit in to our way is more stupidity.

Ive said various times that it doesn't matter how good the black box is, it is the person reading the data. Seems that we have poor analysts. To be fair, Kotchop, Salisu, Lavia have been pretty fair signings but some dross who have signed as well as the madness of extending contracts on massive wages has been also criminal

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 15:13, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think you can take one quick look at his career since he left us and deduce the fact that you're speaking nonsense.

Just read the replies under the LCFC one and add SFC fans. Enough said

Big issue with the brentford game. We had nothing to unlock them despite having over 65% possession. Needed different tools and it was obvious most of the match. Instead of Walcott (who I don't have an issue with), we should have played Edozie - he's got the skill to go round players at that slower tempo, or buy fouls, which would have created space or chances for others. Ditto we should have combined him with tall Paul and sulemana as a front 3 imo. Give brentford some actual problems rather than just trying to play pace to get in behind a team that were very organised and well set up to silly defend and counter. 

I like selles, I think he knows a lot about the game, but he's been chucked in the deep end with saints - and I also wonder if he is a bit too close to the squad to sit back and look at us with a different viewpoint to the last 2 managers. He is worse at Ralphball than Ralph, so he needs to do something else that is effective, and so far he is failing. We've been outplayed in every game bar united with respect to attacking threat - and they had 10men and kept it fairly even on xG... 

Edited by Saint86

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Mystifying why our fans keep singing his name.

No chance does he deserve to be our manager next season.  New broom please

I tend to agree, I think we need a fresh start, fresh ideas. Vieria, should he be willing to drop down, would be my choice. Maybe Give Henry a chance, see if he can replicate what Kompany has done at Burnley. 

Selles has been around all season so isn’t void of any blame for the shit show it’s been. 

With Selles, we’re basically getting Ralph, but worse. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He is badly let down by his inbuilt negativity and fear to set us up to start on the front foot and attack. We are poor defensively and always look better when the brake is taken off as it was today at 3-1 down to Spurs. This fear is what is killing us as a team. Ralph was largely the same after the scars of two 9-0 defeats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No chance does he deserve to be our manager next season.  New broom please

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I tend to agree, I think we need a fresh start, fresh ideas. Vieria, should he be willing to drop down, would be my choice. Maybe Give Henry a chance, see if he can replicate what Kompany has done at Burnley. 

Selles has been around all season so isn’t void of any blame for the shit show it’s been. 

With Selles, we’re basically getting Ralph, but worse. 

If you can’t see the difference he’s brought then I probably can’t explain it. It just feels so different to have a unifying figure running the team. It may not be enough to save us but he’s given us something to cheer and hope for.  Today at the stadium it was just an outpouring of support for him.  And very good it felt too

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

24 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

If you can’t see the difference he’s brought then I probably can’t explain it. It just feels so different to have a unifying figure running the team. It may not be enough to save us but he’s given us something to cheer and hope for.  Today at the stadium it was just an outpouring of support for him.  And very good it felt too

Refreshing to have a manager who supporters can get behind and isn't the subject of a campaign to oust. 

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

We are playing completely differently. No more kick and rush. We have patient build up and passing is to feet and on the ground. We have more width than before and the team have spirit and work hard for each other. 

if people can’t see the turnaround in a short period of time it surprises me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saintscummer said:

We are playing completely differently. No more kick and rush. We have patient build up and passing is to feet and on the ground. We have more width than before and the team have spirit and work hard for each other. 

if people can’t see the turnaround in a short period of time it surprises me. 

100% this. After what we've had to endure this season, we look so much better under Selles. We won't win every game, but we are battling and grinding out points.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles