Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

10 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Joel Piroe from Swansea once Martin is confirmed? He's scored 42 goals in two seasons at this level. 

Piroe's record is a prime example of 'found his level' - first two seasons in the Eredivise: 1 goal in 11 and 2 in 18, first two seasons in the Championship: 22 in 45 and 19 in 43

1 hour ago, Christophenburg said:

Piroe's record is a prime example of 'found his level' - first two seasons in the Eredivise: 1 goal in 11 and 2 in 18, first two seasons in the Championship: 22 in 45 and 19 in 43

Or a prime example of being 19/20 years old compared to being 22/23.

Being that we are definitely going to be in the Championship next year, he's clearly able to deliver at this level.

The Championship is a higher level than Eredivise anyway: Steve McClaren won that league FFS.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christophenburg said:

I think that's a daft statement, it could also, more than likely, be an example of a maturing player who is now more experienced than he was in 2019.

Let's not kid ourselves that the Eredivise is some super league, I'm sure he'd be scoring bucket loads over there now.

He'd be a solid addition for us, good age too. (YTGTI)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Fair to assume we’ll be signing Ryan Manning.

Swansea LB with 5 goals and 10 assists last season whose contract has just expired. A position we need as well.

I think Perraud will be decent in the Championship. 

• Like 1

Manning or Grimes would be good buys from Swansea… Piroe.. not sure but clearly he has ability in this league which could be invaluable

Outside of that Id of liked us to have looked at Hamer from Coventry or even Gyokeres

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with O’Doyle too, another stand out performer in that coventry side but obviously on loan from our parent club City

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Manning or Grimes would be good buys from Swansea… Piroe.. not sure but clearly he has ability in this league which could be invaluable

Outside of that Id of liked us to have looked at Hamer from Coventry or even Gyokeres

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with O’Doyle too, another stand out performer in that coventry side but obviously on loan from our parent club City

I suspect he'll get a PL offer (although perhaps only in the form of Sheffield United following his loan spell) but if for some reason there's nothing in the PL on the table for him, I'd really like to see us go after Tommy Doyle.

There's the MCFC link (so Wilcox will be aware and know him well) plus he fits our age profile and is coming off the back of two very impressive loan spells with Sheffield United and Cardiff City. Under contract with Man City until 2025, so they will need to make their minds up on him soon and that City midfield is obviously pretty formidable...

And a thumbs up to Manning too. Grimes would make a lot of sense as we will need that deeper midfield player who is comfortable and calm on the ball and able to progress the play. Would only help that he'd arrive with a lot of tactical familiarity with the reported new manager too.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

Absolutely. 

He's been here half a season. Stand right in his way. 

On 20/05/2023 at 00:48, sandwichsaint said:

Dissapointing about Alcaraz, reckon he would have been good in the champ.

No surprises with the others.

On 20/05/2023 at 00:48, Badger said:

Be bloody livid if our spineless board allow a talent like Alcaraz to leave without a fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Absolutely. 

He's been here half a season. Stand right in his way. 

Yes, just tell him he’s going nowhere. Unless someone wants to pay £40-50m for him. 
We need to make sure that players with decent contract length left are sold on our terms for top money. It’s a business and some are valuable assets. Top money or on yer bike.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2023 at 15:09, Smirking_Saint said:

No chance of either - If Cov don't go up, a PL club will snap the pair of them up. 

Harmer looks a fantastic player. Gyokeres remind me a bit of Broja in his style. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

No chance of either - If Cov don't go up, a PL club will snap the pair of them up. 

Harmer looks a fantastic player. Gyokeres remind me a bit of Broja in his style. 

Yeah I expect as much tbh… its really optimistic because both look every bit prem quality

Hamer looks an absolute revelation, reminds me of a younger Kovacic, technically gifted and very combative, all round a very good player

Gyokeres yeah, can see Broja. Tall, reasonably quick but he has great feet and looks clinical, sort of like a Tammy Abraham mould

On 19/05/2023 at 20:08, goodymatt said:

JWP, KWP fair enough. The former should be given an opportunity just because he was pretty much the only one who seemed to care in the last few weeks. He could go to Newcastle or Utd beat Beckham's record and in about four matches next season with the opportunities he would get.

Lavia and Alcaraz, I would personally hope that we set out very early that offers need to be significant in value. If we keep them, we could build a side that would allow us to bounce back. Without them and I reckon we are mid-table, missing out on the playoffs by 3 points.

ABK - I'm not sure. He's been in and out of the side and is an International. Great if we keep him, not a huge loss if he goes as we would likely recoup and more on our outlay.

• Like 1

From Swansea fansnetwork:

"When Martin leaves for Southampton he will want more than the support of his closest allies within the coaching structure. The dressing room for him will be key. Any rubber stamping of his appointment at Southampton will revolve around at least two players. Those players are Matt Grimes and Joel Piroe. We can leave Ryan Manning out of that for now, he’s out of contract soon. And don’t be surprised if Joel Latibeaudiere doesn’t feature, although he is also out of contract. Martin will want these players purchased and this is where the majority ownership will smell big money. Anyone who thinks Piroe will go for a few million pounds isn’t reading the script. If Piroe and Grimes are a part of the agreement as was Flynn Downes coming to Swansea two years ago then they will go for top dollar. We have our own feelings on this but with Grimes, Piroe and possibly Nathan Wood added after Martin’s compensation package is agreed, the Swans could bank fifteen million pounds. That will very much depend on the Saints desire to negotiate at a high level, but of course if they don’t then those players won’t be Martin’s eyes, ears and support in the St Mary’s dressing room. "

12 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

From Swansea fansnetwork:

"When Martin leaves for Southampton he will want more than the support of his closest allies within the coaching structure. The dressing room for him will be key. Any rubber stamping of his appointment at Southampton will revolve around at least two players. Those players are Matt Grimes and Joel Piroe. We can leave Ryan Manning out of that for now, he’s out of contract soon. And don’t be surprised if Joel Latibeaudiere doesn’t feature, although he is also out of contract. Martin will want these players purchased and this is where the majority ownership will smell big money. Anyone who thinks Piroe will go for a few million pounds isn’t reading the script. If Piroe and Grimes are a part of the agreement as was Flynn Downes coming to Swansea two years ago then they will go for top dollar. We have our own feelings on this but with Grimes, Piroe and possibly Nathan Wood added after Martin’s compensation package is agreed, the Swans could bank fifteen million pounds. That will very much depend on the Saints desire to negotiate at a high level, but of course if they don’t then those players won’t be Martin’s eyes, ears and support in the St Mary’s dressing room. "

If we're getting a Manager, coaching staff, and 2-3 of their best players (proven at this level in that system) in positions where we need to strengthen anyway, then £15m feels like a bit of a bargain, to be honest. 

to put it into perspective , that's roughly the same we paid for AA 2 years ago 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

If we're getting a Manager, coaching staff, and 2-3 of their best players (proven at this level in that system) in positions where we need to strengthen anyway, then £15m feels like a bit of a bargain, to be honest. 

to put it into perspective , that's roughly the same we paid for AA 2 years ago 

Manning seems like a no brainer, he's free, knows the manager and we need a left back.

Grimes a good solid player at championship level and Piroe has a decent goal scoring record so if it happens that 3 decent bits of business. Definitely give us a bit more championship know how, along with using Bree more.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Manning seems like a no brainer, he's free, knows the manager and we need a left back.

Grimes a good solid player at championship level and Piroe has a decent goal scoring record so if it happens that 3 decent bits of business. Definitely give us a bit more championship know how, along with using Bree more.

Just had a look at Nathan Wood - Seems like a decent prospect for that level as well. CB who likes to play out (Stephens aside, do we have any of these?). 20, so ticks that box and only has a year left on his contract. Another one who could be a sensible buy. 

Those 3 / 4 with some added quality from either players we currently have or have funds to buy, would be the basis of a really solid championship side. Also helps the core already knows the system / passes patterns the manager wants to install.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Just had a look at Nathan Wood - Seems like a decent prospect for that level as well. CB who likes to play out (Stephens aside, do we have any of these?). 20, so ticks that box and only has a year left on his contract. Another one who could be a sensible buy. 

Bella-Kotchap out, another 20 year old unit in. Why not? Wood's got a bit of a Chris Smalling vibe about him, I think.

Not sure about Piroe or Grimes, but beggars can't be choosers - who knows what dregs we'll be left with after our summer fire sale?

4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Yeah well… like I suggested I think there are reasons for that tbh

what, that Perraud is technically limited, can't cross, slow as fuck and is happy to waltz back into position after foraging forward? It's not easy to find and bring in genuine talent in the Championship, but left back is one position we might actually improve if our scouting is spot on.

25 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Piroe would be an excellent signing if we can get him. He's exactly what we needed this season tbh.

I seem to recall there was push back on here when he was suggested along the lines of `we've given championship strikers a couple of goes now and they have failed" which I didn't necessarily agree with. It's all about signing the right ones. I guess there is less risk now we are down there too.  After two decent seasons you'd think he'd be looking for a move to the Prem.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

You almost make it sound like we've done well to drop down a division and replace the likes of Lavia, KWP,  Alcaraz, Prowsey, Adams and co with some classic 2nd tier players... 😆

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Bella-Kotchap out, another 20 year old unit in. Why not?

Because one is a 20year old German international, the other is a mile off that.

What was the point in spending millions on promising youth players on long contracts and getting relegated... if we then go and sell our best prospects to sign more 20year olds of a lower standard. I really hope that is not the plan for the summer.

With 40% wage reductions and parachute payments, we should be digging our feet in and keeping our long contract prospects!!

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Piroe would be an excellent signing if we can get him. He's exactly what we needed this season tbh.

He ranks 93rd in the championship for non penalty goals scored - (minus) non penalty expected goals ... 🤮 (For a comparison, Akpom of Boro is 2nd, Tella is 3rd, carlton morris of luton is 5th).

In addition, he is:

• 77th for goals per shot.
  • 1st for total shots.
  • 1st for shots on target.

Also, 6 of his 19 goals were from free kicks/penalties. Which means that he scored 13 goals in open play over 42 games worth of 90mins.

Sounds like someone who needs a lot of chances to score / can't finish. But hell, didn't quite work out with Che and AA, may as well roll the dice, spend some more money, and see if its 3rd time lucky.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/shooting/Championship-Stats

Notable that Burnley, Boro, Luton, Milwall, and Sunderland all had great seasons and all had very clinical strikers. Funny that 😂

* I am aware that it doesn't just come down to striker accuracy, but also things like quality of chances created. However i think the above stats still speak for themselves.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Because one is a 20year old German international, the other is a mile off that.

What was the point in spending millions on promising youth players on long contracts and getting relegated... if we then go and sell our best prospects to sign more 20year olds of a lower standard. I really hope that is not the plan for the summer.

With 40% wage reductions and parachute payments, we should be digging our feet in and keeping our long contract prospects!!

One played 40 games last season. The other spent most of it impersonating Samuel L Jackson in Unbreakable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

He ranks 93rd in the championship for non penalty goals scored - (minus) non penalty expected goals ... 🤮 (For a comparison, Akpom of Boro is 2nd, Tella is 3rd, carlton morris of luton is 5th).

In addition, he is:

• 77th for goals per shot.
  • 1st for total shots.
  • 1st for shots on target.

Also, 6 of his 19 goals were from free kicks/penalties. Which means that he scored 13 goals in open play over 42 games worth of 90mins.

Sounds like someone who needs a lot of chances to score / can't finish for shit. But hell, didn't quite work out with Che and AA, may as well spend some more money and see if its 3rd time lucky. Far be it for me to condemn a player before we sign them... But this would be an extremely unaspiring signing on the face of things.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/shooting/Championship-Stats

A player who has scored 41 goals in 88 Championship games and 19 in 43 this season is "93rd" on some goalscoring stat list?

What are you on about? Who are these other 92 players that have done better at scoring goals this season? That's like 3 or 4 players per club who are all better at scoring goals than Piroe....you really sure about that?

The list I can see has him, err, fourth on the list of the only fucking stat that matters.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

A player who has scored 41 goals in 88 Championship games and 19 in 43 this season is "93rd" on some goalscoring stat list?

What are you on about? Who are these other 92 players that have done better at scoring goals this season? That's like 3 or 4 players per club who are all better at scoring goals than Piroe....you really sure about that?

The list I can see has him, err, fourth on the list of the only fucking stat that matters.

Probably put together by the same stats people that somehow once said worked out Vestergaard was one of the top five centre backs in the premier league 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

He had the most chances most shots of any player in the league, and under the same manager that he'll have at saints... Is he really good enough to spearhead our promotion charge, let alone as an investment for the premier league / resale (aka the SR way).

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

The coaches voice video Martin calls Piroe a clever player a couple of times and highlights he was playing in attacking midfield rather than as a striker. I've also seen it referenced somewhere that he was forced to play Piroe up front because he lost Obafemi and Swansea didn't recruit anyone. Think Saint86 is right that Piroe's finishing stats are a little questionable and the lack of quality up front for Swansea would explain why their shots and possession last season were very similar to Burnley but goals 20 less.

That said, goal scoring attacking midfielders is something we've lacked for a while.

• Like 1