Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

10 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

To be honest can you really see KWP being here at the start of the season either?

Yep. I can't think of a premier league club who would need him. I suspect we'd have sold him ahead of Tino if we could. 

I’m surprised anyone is willing to stump up £30mill for a youngster who has barely kicked a ball in over a year. I guess Newcastle are in a position to take the punt and get in ahead of the big clubs.It will be a shame if he goes but I guess that’s the reality now, if we keep him and bounce straight back we could get a lot more from a top club if he fulfils his potential.

41 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Promotion isn’t guaranteed. Newcastle are a massive amount above us and Tino is a Premier League standard player, purchased by us with the clear and signalled intention that he could move as soon as a better offer came in. No brainer for him, why spend any more time than you need to in the Championship and he was sold the club as the chance to get a quick move. Perhaps he’d have stayed longer if we were in the top flight but that wasn’t the model he was sold anyway. 

Good luck to the lad. Next. 

Tino needs games to get back up to speed after a serious injury. Fighting for his place at a Champions League club is not going to be good for him, and indeed is why he left Chelsea in the first place.

I'm baffled that we're selling for £30m when we could keep him for a season and get the same fee, and the player doesn't seem desperate to move. UNLESS we think the injury has permanently affected his abilities

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Tino needs games to get back up to speed after a serious injury. Fighting for his place at a Champions League club is not going to be good for him, and indeed is why he left Chelsea in the first place.

I'm baffled that we're selling for £30m when we could keep him for a season and get the same fee, and the player doesn't seem desperate to move. UNLESS we think the injury has permanently affected his abilities

The club can only sell when offers come in and if the reports are true, Tino has the firmest interest ahead of KWP and Bree (😏) so he’s most likely to be the one going. If the club then sell KWP too I’ll start to question the sanity of the Board because Bree and an understudy will not be promotion grade.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The club can only sell when offers come in and if the reports are true, Tino has the firmest interest ahead of KWP and Bree (😏) so he’s most likely to be the one going. If the club then sell KWP too I’ll start to question the sanity of the Board because Bree and an understudy will not be promotion grade.

I'm also baffled that there isn't interest in KWP. He'll only have a year left on his contract next summer so it will cost us more to keep him

14 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

This narrative makes me laugh. The move wouldn’t be happening without him and his team a) sourcing out the interest from Newcastle b) agreeing to it and c) telling Southampton he wants it. 

Find the idea that we just believe a narrative that he was happy to stay quite funny when his actions speak differently. Grateful for Southampton’s support yes (although I found that cringeworthy as well, what else are Southampton going to do?), be happy to stay, maybe, but quite clearly facilitating the move at the same time. 

And btw, I’m not having a pop at him, good luck to him, don’t begrudge him it at all, he’s right to be facilitating the move if it’s available but let’s not believe that SR are walking in to Staplewood one morning and telling Tino he’s off whether he likes it or not. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

This narrative makes me laugh. The move wouldn’t be happening without him and his team a) sourcing out the interest from Newcastle b) agreeing to it and c) telling Southampton he wants it. 

Find the idea that we just believe a narrative that he was happy to stay quite funny when his actions speak differently. Grateful for Southampton’s support yes (although I found that cringeworthy as well, what else are Southampton going to do?), be happy to stay, maybe, but quite clearly facilitating the move at the same time. 

And btw, I’m not having a pop at him, good luck to him, don’t begrudge him it at all, he’s right to be facilitating the move if it’s available but let’s not believe that SR are walking in to Staplewood one morning and telling Tino he’s off whether he likes it or not. 

It's easily possible that Newcastle, Southampton and possibly his agent have cooked it up without the player being particularly keen

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

12 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's easily possible that Newcastle, Southampton and possibly his agent have cooked it up without the player being particularly keen

His agent works for him not the other way around. Again, the narrative that suggests agents are out there doing things players don’t want them to do is funny, nonsense and highly convenient for the PR of the player. 

Edited by Fabrice29

12 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

extremely unlikely, otherwise the player would have come out and said so and sacked his agent.

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

He left in Jan in the most recent season so obviously he wasn't going to be in it.

Might be worthwhile reviewing his stats - he's a good progressive/attacking rwb or right sided, if KWP goes then I am more than comfortable with Bree in that role as he seems to fit the profile Martin likes.

pizza_james_bree_RM_2022-23-1.png

Comfortable with him being in that role is something of a climb down from "stand out" and "being in the team of the year".  Appreciate you didn't say it but some of the hyperbole on here for a very average player is probably just a testament to how shit we are these days.  But lets not colour it any other way, he's still meh.  As are about 8 other players from our starting line up.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm also baffled that there isn't interest in KWP. He'll only have a year left on his contract next summer so it will cost us more to keep him

We don't get to hear about every enquiry made. For all we know every Prem club could have calle to ask how much KWP would be. Perhaps we have set a pretty high amount (and why not) and no one values him as much as we do. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

His agent works for him not the other way around. Again, the narrative that suggests agents are out there doing things players don’t want them to do is funny, nonsense and highly convenient for the PR of the player. 

Interestingly enough, I believe he is represented by Wasserman, the same agency who represent Eddie Howe

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

extremely unlikely, otherwise the player would have come out and said so and sacked his agent.

This reminded me of a film I watched years ago with Ray Winstone called All in the Game. It's about a dodgy agent who gets into money troubles, and if I remember he managed to convince a young star player to move clubs for a huge fee so he could get a big payday. The player wasn't keen but went along with it. Something like that. I always wondered just how much influence an agent has over a player or even parents of them.

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

How about Payne? Not sure if he is good enough or not, as not seen him.

I've quite liked the look of Payne when I've seen him play, and indeed, he was making inroads to the first team last season. First start away at Cambridge, got an assist and looked good but not been seen since.

Had a failed loan at Eastleigh where he came back early, but also signed a new contract with us. 

No sign of him this pre-season, either for the 1st team or the B-team, so no idea what's happened to him. 

46 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

These things are so much less black and white than you're making out. A young player can easily be led/persuaded by an agent into making a move when they didn't really want to. They may even think they've made the decision themselves but were in fact guided into it. 

It's simply way too cynical to think that players only ever say positive things about staying at their current club as a cover for their desire to leave. They can easily just not say they want to stay, and often do.

Anyway, it's equally plausible that Newcastle and Saints have cooked up the transfer and both Tino and the agent are just going along with it as they have no other option

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

These things are so much less black and white than you're making out. A young player can easily be led/persuaded by an agent into making a move when they didn't really want to. They may even think they've made the decision themselves but were in fact guided into it. 

It's simply way too cynical to think that players only ever say positive things about staying at their current club as a cover for their desire to leave. They can easily just not say they want to stay, and often do.

Anyway, it's equally plausible that Newcastle and Saints have cooked up the transfer and both Tino and the agent are just going along with it as they have no other option

Maybe. Hugely more likely that he's seen that a champions league club are in for him and he wants to go there for three or four times his current wage. 

9 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Yeah, the kid and his family who carefully plotted and chose a move at 17 to get first team football are suddenly now being easily led down a path against their will (that you realise but they don’t) by the agents they sourced out and now employ. That’s definitely as equally as possible as them thinking that a move to a CL club with an ageing right back as competition might be a good move.

Also where’s this Tino interview where he’s said positive things about staying out of interest? 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe. Hugely more likely that he's seen that a champions league club are in for him and he wants to go there for three or four times his current wage. 

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Yeah, the kid and his family who carefully plotted and chose a move at 17 to get first team football are suddenly now being easily led down a path against their will (that you realise but they don’t) by the agents they sourced out and now employ. That’s definitely as equally as possible as them thinking that a move to a CL club with an ageing right back as competition might be a good move.

Also where’s this Tino interview where he’s said positive things about staying out of interest? 

Why leave Chelsea in the first place if money and being at a big club is all that matters?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Why leave Chelsea in the first place if money and being at a big club is all that matters?

Because he hadn't yet shown he had quality in the Premier league? I'm guessing if he's off to Newcastle he would have been told he'd get a decent amount of game time this year with a view to replacing Trippier. Someone also said that Trippier could be utilised as a lb in the same way that kwp is or he does for Englan

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Because he hadn't yet shown he had quality in the Premier league? I'm guessing if he's off to Newcastle he would have been told he'd get a decent amount of game time this year with a view to replacing Trippier. Someone also said that Trippier could be utilised as a lb in the same way that kwp is or he does for Englan

I just don't see why it's hard to believe that the player is content to stay but saints are pushing the move because they want the transfer fee. Instead we have to believe that all players are money grabbing mercenaries who will brief the press that they want to stay even though they want to leave

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

10 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I just don't see why it's hard to believe that the player is content to stay but saints are pushing the move because they want the transfer fee. Instead we have to believe that all players are money grabbing mercenaries who will brief the press that they want to stay even though they want to leave

Because that happens all the time. Why on earth would we be pushing Tino out the door for relatively small amounts when we have Lavia or JWP if it came to it that we could sell for double or more what we would end up with for Tino? Lots of players say something to the press and then when it comes down to it, money and prestige talks. Look at Jordan Henderson. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Because that happens all the time. Why on earth would we be pushing Tino out the door for relatively small amounts when we have Lavia or JWP if it came to it that we could sell for double or more what we would end up with for Tino? Lots of players say something to the press and then when it comes down to it, money and prestige talks. Look at Jordan Henderson. 

Depends how much revenue we need to balance the books, and if we think KWP is staying then it makes some sense. But I still fear the club is making a misjudgment about his value

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I’m not. Really not a good defender. We conceded a lot at the far post last year. Not productive going forward. Would like to see his assist stats from last year. Reckon they were better from left back. All IMHO obvs…..

From Martin.

"The market has been slow"

"sure some players will move soon, as we need them to move"

"the club acted quickly to get Manning and Charles, which was great"

"players are starting to come out of their shell"

"Jason asked if Shea would be someone I would be interested in working with, I said yes 100%"

"Shea has grown up with a certain playing model, but it will be a similar concept with me"

"Be nice to win some of the remaining friendlies, but all that matters is the performances and be ready for 4th Aug"

"we have a clear process and clear way of working and certain we will win more that is for sure"

• Like 1

Fully expect KWP to move. He is too good for someone not to move for him and would probably be affordable for 90% of PL teams.  The vast majority of deals happen in the last two weeks of the window so still plenty of time.

Is Bree, Larios and Abu enough options at RB? Doesn't overly enthuse me compared to what we have been used to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Fully expect KWP to move. He is too good for someone not to move for him and would probably be affordable for 90% of PL teams.  The vast majority of deals happen in the last two weeks of the window so still plenty of time.

Is Bree, Larios and Abu enough options at RB? Doesn't overly enthuse me compared to what we have been used to.

I keep forgetting about Larios.  He's certainly not going to be an option for midweek games when he's got school the next day.  I'd probably buy another one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Nobody said he’s a money grabbing mercenary. It’s a perfectly good career opportunity for the kid. He’s just had a massive injury, probably grateful for the support but also aware his career is short. Take the money out of it and it’s a move to a top 4 club and a chance to nail down a position for years at that particular top 4 club. Why would he stay? I’m not saying he’s desperate to leave or a mercenary, I’m saying the idea that he would happily stay and turn down those opportunities is bizarre even more so because he clearly is working on getting that opportunity. 

Then again, those anonymous briefings to the press with a vague ‘content to stay’ line is gospel and therefore fuck the owners.

Edited by Fabrice29

33 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

From Martin.

"The market has been slow"

"sure some players will move soon, as we need them to move"

"the club acted quickly to get Manning and Charles, which was great"

"players are starting to come out of their shell"

"Jason asked if Shea would be someone I would be interested in working with, I said yes 100%"

"Shea has grown up with a certain playing model, but it will be a similar concept with me"

"Be nice to win some of the remaining friendlies, but all that matters is the performances and be ready for 4th Aug"

"we have a clear process and clear way of working and certain we will win more that is for sure"

Thought today's press conference interesting when RM made a point of elaborating and highlighting that he was appreciative that the ownership completed the deals for Manning and Charles 'when we reached a point where we had to move' - sounds like we have irons in the fire but are having to stall things because we need to get people moving out of the club first. RM said a few times that the squad is huge and even training the group is troublesome - especially when he wants to integrate academy lads - and he seems to be very aware that having a large squad is a recipe for continuing disharmony behind the scenes.

Presumably we reached a stage where Manning's camp and Man City were going to have to push things along with another club and so Solak had to sign off on just getting them in immediately to avoid losing out. Makes sense, given Manning was a free agent but still missed the first week or so of preseason.

Edited by CSA96

22 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Nobody said he’s a money grabbing mercenary. It’s a perfectly good career opportunity for the kid. He’s just had a massive injury, probably grateful for the support but also aware his career is short. Take the money out of it and it’s a move to a top 4 club and a chance to nail down a position for years at that particular top 4 club. Why would he stay? I’m not saying he’s desperate to leave or a mercenary, I’m saying the idea that he would happily stay and turn down those opportunities is bizarre even more so because he clearly is working on getting that opportunity. 

Then again, those anonymous briefings to the press with a vague ‘content to stay’ line is gospel and therefore fuck the owners.

Agree. 

Ultimately Tino is wayyy too good for the championship. We all know it. His advisors and family must too. Can’t begrudge him a move back up to the top division and beyond into the CL. Good luck to him.

It’s a shame the club has regressed to the point where we can’t keep hold of him for a bit longer; but that’s the reality. 

Ref Tino I think this is a very different scenario to Chelsea. Reece James had only just broken through - likely to be their rb for 10 years, plus Azpilicueta was still there I think. He was 17 looking at no first team football and we gave him an opportunity (which he took).

At Newcastle he’ll be second choice and understudy to an excellent pro to learn off who is also aging. The club are in the champions league and will play twice a week, something Trippier won’t manage so Tino will get at least 20 games I’d imagine.

He also gets a serious pay rise and contract length that sets him up for life - his recent and pretty serious injuries may mean that’s now a bit more prominent in his thinking.

Ok, he’ll get a few more games at saints if he stays but by every other criteria it’s the right move for him. I think on balance he’d be mad to turn it down - unfortunately for us.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Agree. 

Ultimately Tino is wayyy too good for the championship. We all know it. His advisors and family must too. Can’t begrudge him a move back up to the top division and beyond into the CL. Good luck to him.

It’s a shame the club has regressed to the point where we can’t keep hold of him for a bit longer; but that’s the reality. 

He would have been before his injury... but who knows how he'll recover ? For that reason I can understand him trying to secure a good contract based on his form from two seasons ago, and Saints being tempted to cash in now.

The club nursed him for 12 months and paid his ludicrous salary for a year so yes I would begrudge him a move. Good luck to him if he moves, bollocks. 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

How about Payne? Not sure if he is good enough or not, as not seen him.

he spend a useless amount of time not being used on his half season loan ...with Eastleigh !

What was seen of him early season with the B team was quite impressive. can surely be worth a 3rd choice for the first team, or another loan .

1 hour ago, Badger said:

He would have been before his injury... but who knows how he'll recover ? For that reason I can understand him trying to secure a good contract based on his form from two seasons ago, and Saints being tempted to cash in now.

The club nursed him for 12 months and paid his ludicrous salary for a year so yes I would begrudge him a move. Good luck to him if he moves, bollocks. 

Get real would you please