Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

7 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I don't think he will be going to West Ham, and certainly not for less than we want. We've sold Tino, we're selling Lavia, the pressure will be entirely on West Ham on this one and we'll be pulling their pants down if we do sell him. Its also entirely irrelevant whether people think £35M is a good price for west ham... We aren't desperate to sell so it comes down to how desperate they are for him and whether we're happy with what we can milk them for re making a sale attractive to us.

I personally think he'll still be here come the end of the window. I suspect he's done a bit of a mental juggle and decided that there is little point joining a club like Fulham vs staying until at least January with saints and potentially taking us up, probably a similar equation for West Ham tbh as they are not in a great place and have the demands of europe as well (although they would be far more attractive than Fulham re prestige and opportunity). However, if a club like Spurs comes knocking he'll be very keen to take it obviously. 

There is also no way he is making the euro's squad lets be honest. Philips played about 8min last season and still went ahead of him. He'll be behind the likes of Gallagher as well this year. His time in an England shirt is sadly finished barring a move to a top 7 side.

Good evaluation.  As others have said, the monetary crux now is his value to us this season in terms of what he offers this young side in this league.  If we are hell-bent on quick promotion and establishing as a mid-table side the Board should be all out to keep the player.  Against Sheffield Weds he seemed to start off the pace (along with Alcaraz), but visibly grew into the game and by the second half was a metronome for the team, clearly enjoying himself.  Then you have the personal side of things.  Feasibly he could commute to West Ham or Fulham for a few quid more (probably not significantly more) without family upheaval, but its also feasible that after signing a three or four year deal he passes a rejuvenated Saints coming in the other direction next May.  It's highly likely that he'll speak to Martin and Wilcox about the possibility of staying until January, which would allow him to see who Saints bring in and where we are, and also evaluate the midway predicament of any suitors.  That's about as near to cake and eat it as you will get in modern football.  However, the one scenario that would guarantee a late in the window transfer is if the likes of Spurs or Chelsea decide to join the London Prowse party, if that happens he'll be nailed on offski!  

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

How on earth do you know that we are 'financially stable'?  We were running at a multi-million pound loss under Gao with small net spend but last season spent over £160m on transfer fees alone to get relegated and are now in a league with massively less revenue (even with parachute payments).

Our owner really isn't rich or stupid enough to fund this so we have to sell a lot of players to survive.

I don't think there's any evidence that we have to sell a lot of players to survive. If that were the case we wouldn't be actively turning reasonable bids down. Lavia would have gone already for a start. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Scott said:

The three times the price is relevant in that West Ham are the interested club. I never mentioned they played the same position. 

As others have mentioned he is worth a lot more to us and could prove the difference in bouncing straight back up, which in itself is worth £100m.

I personally think he will go, and likely for a fee of £40m with achievable add ons up to the £45m mark. 

I'd of though the CoT (Circle of Tits) would know the price Wilcox has placed on JWP anyway, or are you all too busy sniggering at memes back and forth over DM

Why is that relevant? Does that mean that because we're interested in Matt Grimes he is now worth £20m? You never did answer that. If there were loads of clubs interested then that pushes the price up but it doesn't look like there is. 

Nice little dig about the CoT, it seems the only people talking about it are you lot these days. :lol:

• Like 1

I think JWP will go to West Ham.  Nothings really changed since the end of last season when it was pretty obvious that he wanted to stay in the premier league.  All we're doing now is quibbling over the price with West Ham but that'll sort itself out eventually - it's not often a club bids twice for a player and then walks away and I don't expect it to happen here.

16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I think JWP will go to West Ham.  Nothings really changed since the end of last season when it was pretty obvious that he wanted to stay in the premier league.  All we're doing now is quibbling over the price with West Ham but that'll sort itself out eventually - it's not often a club bids twice for a player and then walks away and I don't expect it to happen here.

Can someone tell me or show me where it is OBVIOUS that JWP wanted to stay in the PL not with us? Very different scenario.

I'm sure he was as gutted as us really at getting relegated but I havnt seen or read anything where he has said he wants to leave. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

What an odd statement, of course he wanted to stay in the PL, with Saints.

Just now, iansums said:

What an odd statement, of course he wanted to stay in the PL, with Saints.

How is it odd?  Staying in the premier league with saints isn't an option when you've been relegated.  He was asked whether he'd be staying and replied that the club knew his wishes which is code for "I'm off".  If he wanted to stay then he'd have said so.

17 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Good will fleece them when they come back desperate.

10.30pm, September 1st.

West Ham - Well played Southampton. We reluctantly bid the £40 million you want for Mr Ward-Prowse. 

Saints - Yyyyyy.....nah. No time to replace him now. Thanks for your interest. 

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think there's any evidence that we have to sell a lot of players to survive. If that were the case we wouldn't be actively turning reasonable bids down. Lavia would have gone already for a start. 

Don't agree with this. We haven't turned down reasonable bids. We have turned down insufficient bids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

McAtee is brilliant.  Would’ve thought prem sides would be in for him.  Did well at sheff Utd last season.

They are. Wolves, Sheff United just two clubs linked with him. He ain't joining us in the championship.

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we needed money then we wouldn't be turning down bids of 40 million for Lavia and risking him not being sold. We'd take the money. 

What if the bid was £20m or £30m or £35m? Would it not be risky to turn those bids down?  We have turned offers down because we know the right price. 

I don't agree that we 'don't need money'. If we are so rich, why did we not spend £500m last summer like Chelsea on world class talent instead of tens of millions on untried youngsters?

We have to work within a budget just like everyone else. There isn't an endless pot of money provided by the owner. We need to balance the books this summer and seem to be doing that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

What if the bid was £20m or £30m or £35m? Would it not be risky to turn those bids down?  We have turned offers down because we know the right price. 

I don't agree that we 'don't need money'. If we are so rich, why did we not spend £500m last summer like Chelsea on world class talent instead of tens of millions on untried youngsters?

We have to work within a budget just like everyone else. There isn't an endless pot of money provided by the owner. We need to balance the books this summer and seem to be doing that. 

Our financial situation clearly is not anywhere near as dire as it has been in the past. We appear to be selling players on our terms and we don't seem to be under any financial pressure to sell. We have a lot of high value assets that everyone in the championship will kill for and clearly we are going to sell some of them. That's very different to it being a requirement that we have to sell or we will be in financial trouble. The club have said publically that we don't have financial difficulties and our actions so far have backed that up. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

10.30pm, September 1st.

West Ham - Well played Southampton. We reluctantly bid the £40 million you want for Mr Ward-Prowse. 

Absolutely.  We can’t plan for the season by selling our best player at the end of the window.

Edited by Wade Garrett
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I don't think JWP is going either. The club know his value to us is more than monetary.  He'll stay until at least January. If we aren't top two or in the automatic shake up, it might change. 

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I think JWP will go. The club want to reward his service and good attitude and will accept an increased bid later in the window

Quite a split opinion on this one! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

10.30pm, September 1st.

stupid cunt thinking that. If they bid earlier enough to sign a player so can we, apparently we have players lined up to join once ones leave.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Lliverpool's latest bid for Lavia is apparently 45m incl add ons. what is it about 50 they can't understand? twats

I fell completely out of love with Southampton F.C. last season but even not counting the way we played in that opening match just the way we are not bowing down to these big club twats, they’ve got me 100% back on side.

I bet old Klippity is having a meltdown about now 🤣🤣😜

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Chez said:

If true then surely that refutes any idea that we are desperate for money? Turning down 45 million is audacious and unprecedented for a team in the championship. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

How on earth do you know that we are 'financially stable'?  We were running at a multi-million pound loss under Gao with small net spend but last season spent over £160m on transfer fees alone to get relegated and are now in a league with massively less revenue (even with parachute payments).

Our owner really isn't rich or stupid enough to fund this so we have to sell a lot of players to survive.

Good point but comparing our negotiating stance with say Leicester suggests we have no compelling reasons to sell any more of our players.

I want JWP to stay. He was excellent against Wednesday and we need to value him with the view how much is he worth to us in our push for promotion. Certainly more than Livramento. So that makes him £35m+ and W.Ham won't be able to sit on their pot forever - and the longer they sit, the more clubs will ask for their players.

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I do think jwp will leave and there is a part of me - however irrational it is- that will be a bit miffed at him. If he stays and we go up this year that just burnishes his reputation and makes him more of a legend. If he goes now he just becomes like many other players who were great. He could take a small risk this year and reap the rewards in years to come. I know what I'd do bit I'm biased! 

Think he'll go. I hope its to a west ham rather than a fulham.

Staying and being a one club man would be something in this era. So a little part of me will be sad wherever he goes.

• Like 1

Not that it directly impacts us this season, but Sheffield United's approach to the PL seems to be a little pointless. They lost their best attacking player to France, and have now agreed a fee with Burnley for their 2nd best player - Sander Berge.

They might as well have stayed in the Championship. Looks like being a pointless miserable season for them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Why is that relevant? Does that mean that because we're interested in Matt Grimes he is now worth £20m? You never did answer that. If there were loads of clubs interested then that pushes the price up but it doesn't look like there is. 

Nice little dig about the CoT, it seems the only people talking about it are you lot these days. :lol:

To be honest all 'traffic' around the CoT has come from those outside it looking in, it's almost like a projected fantasy.  Not that I'm able to comment of course - LLSS.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not that it directly impacts us this season, but Sheffield United's approach to the PL seems to be a little pointless. They lost their best attacking player to France, and have now agreed a fee with Burnley for their 2nd best player - Sander Berge.

They might as well have stayed in the Championship. Looks like being a pointless miserable season for them.

The owner wants out. Not a good time to be a blades fan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Crap. If true that changes things... 

I will be sad to see him go as I think he has been unfairly underrated on this forum but personally I would rather he break the free kick goal scoring record for Spurs than Wet Spam. Shame he hasn't teamed up with Poch though as he played him in the best position.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saints4Prem said:

I will be sad to see him go as I think he has been unfairly underrated on this forum but personally I would rather he break the free kick goal scoring record for Spurs than Wet Spam. Shame he hasn't teamed up with Poch though as he played him in the best position.

Can't stand Spurs. Another set of fans that think they are top four entitled. 

• Like 3