James Ward-Prowse

harvey

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I always felt that was his best role, even more of an 8 - licence to attack, not worrying about the pivot and all that stuff.

In one of the only things Nathan Jones did correctly, it was using JWP in that 8 (that goal he scored in Open Play against Everton was an example of what he can do in that position).

Our lack of numbers and quality in CM meant we had to shoehorn him elsewhere under the more cautious managers (Selles). He'll do well surrounded by Soucek and Alvarez.

nutshell_115700821.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Maybe not now, but in years to come when nobody really cares about who he used to be because he was just one of any number of faceless mercenary footballers who chased a few extra quid. 

Guess I just have different priorities to the majority of people.  

He will never be seen as that by a massive majority of fans.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Maybe not now, but in years to come when nobody really cares about who he used to be because he was just one of any number of faceless mercenary footballers who chased a few extra quid. 

I came here for the shittest possible take on JWP, so thanks for providing it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Guess I just have different priorities to the majority of people.  

What a load of old pony. 

I don’t even particularly rate the bloke, but I don’t consider him a “faceless mercenary”. Nobody I’ve met considers Steve Williams, Danny Wallace or Ricky Lambert mercenaries. Even Alan Shearer, who fucked off the minute he had the chance, isn’t thought of like that. People are justifiably proud that we started Alan on his road to being a great. In years to come people will remember  Prowse for his 400 odd games, his years of service & his free kicks. Nobody with any sense will think any worse of him because he wanted to stay in the top flight. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sledger said:

did you here the stupid hammers fans singing champions of europe youll never win that to brighton fans after winning last years euro conference pub cup or maybe it was tongue in cheek also after watching ward prowse yesterday couldnt help but wonder if he could have done a lot more at the back end of last season.

Winning a made up European trophy for also rans doesn't exactly mean they are champions of Europe because that's obviously Man City.

Seems like they enjoyed it though. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony. 

I don’t even particularly rate the bloke, but I don’t consider him a “faceless mercenary”. Nobody I’ve met considers Steve Williams, Danny Wallace or Ricky Lambert mercenaries. Even Alan Shearer, who fucked off the minute he had the chance, isn’t thought of like that. People are justifiably proud that we started Alan on his road to being a great. In years to come people will remember  Prowse for his 400 odd games, his years of service & his free kicks. Nobody with any sense will think any worse of him because he wanted to stay in the top flight. 

Makes a smashing son-in-law too, don't you think?

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I like JWP, don't get me wrong, but that golf celebration is lame and embarrassing IMO

What’s wrong with just putting your arm up, shaking a couple of hands & then running back to the half way line. Somebody once said (I think it may have been Shanks), that you should act like it’s an everyday occurrence, that it was no big deal, you got a chance & buried it because that’s what you do.

I guess that ship sailed years ago. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

12 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Imagine you are JWP right now. A semi-retired Henderson and Phillips who has barely played for 2 years get in the squad ahead of you. Must be livid. 

Sends a sign out to players no matter how well you are playing you won't get in for favourites.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, trousers said:

I don't understand why JWP isn't ahead of Henderson and Phillips as things stand. 

trousers ...  I agree 100% , but you have undoubtedly forgotten about the absolute power of the media.

If the Sky and BBC pundits don't fancy him, then he has no chance of getting into the England team. 

Southgate will have Henderson on an Emirates flight back from the Middle East (even if he's injured), before the next squad is even

officially announced, and then JH will sit on the bench - next to Conor Gallagher, and neither of them will need to take off their tracksuits.

With power like that it means that JWP will follow MLT into the record books as " an occasional player " who never quite made it for England.

Perhaps ...it may change ....If Prowsey gets another  goal / assist  at the weekend and West Ham are in the top four.  Otherwise - no chance.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, david in sweden said:

trousers ...  I agree 100% , but you have undoubtedly forgotten about the absolute power of the media.

If the Sky and BBC pundits don't fancy him, then he has no chance of getting into the England team. 

Jesus wept.

• Haha 2

On 27/08/2023 at 15:31, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I like JWP, don't get me wrong, but that golf celebration is lame and embarrassing IMO

perhaps he should modestly stand there and wait for his team mates to come and clap him on the back ...and say " well done Sir ".....or ? 

Edited by david in sweden

I appreciate that Kalvin Phillips had a good Euros, 2 flaming years ago, but the guy doesn't play football anymore so he shouldn't be getting international honours in front of people who are getting game time. Granted, we don't have many midfield options - but you'd think JWP, as he's playing and Phillips isn't, should be in there.

The inclusion of Maguire is equally as pointless ahead of someone like Ben White.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Another assist from a corner for JWP last night. 

But his corners are terrible, or something. 

His corners for us were continually ineffective.  I don't think that can really be disputed.  How much of that was due to him and how much due to our crap set-up can be debated.  

Given who West Ham have in their team it's not really surprising he's having better fortunes there (albeit 3 games is a bit early to making any conclusios).  Personally I'm pleased it's going so well for him so far.  We rarely played to his strengths, which given our lack to quality is nuts

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Another assist from a corner for JWP last night. 

But his corners are terrible, or something. 

We just didn't have the players to make the most of them, that much is becoming incredibly obvious. West ham are a big strong side, I won't look forward to our defence facing them and jwp when/if we're back in the prem. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barsiem said:

His corners for us were continually ineffective.  I don't think that can really be disputed.  How much of that was due to him and how much due to our crap set-up can be debated.  

Given who West Ham have in their team it's not really surprising he's having better fortunes there (albeit 3 games is a bit early to making any conclusios).  Personally I'm pleased it's going so well for him so far.  We rarely played to his strengths, which given our lack to quality is nuts

It's undeniably because West Ham have players more suited to attacking set pieces than we have since Van Dijk left. That's hardly JWP fault - what else is he supposed to do but take the best corner he can and hope somebody in the middle is good enough to get on the end of it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's undeniably because West Ham have players more suited to attacking set pieces than we have since Van Dijk left. That's hardly JWP fault - what else is he supposed to do but take the best corner he can and hope somebody in the middle is good enough to get on the end of it?

Exactly. We were just shit at being aggressive enough to attack the balls coming into the box. That happened in an attacking and defending sense as well. Hopefully that is something we will address this season.

Karen Brady on the radio this morning talking all things West Ham. Stated that JwP was the No.1 target very early for their manager, and Moyes is the one who identifies players with his team and scouts and then the discussions start. She also suggested that Saints wanted A LOT for JwP and it was Saints who contacted West Ham and made the deal (by lowering their demands upfront and overall).

On the flip side, Semmens on the radio the other night stated that with Ralph, the manager did NOT have the final say on transfers as he was just part of the committee....which I found strange.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 1

We let him go too cheap. Was said at the time and it's becoming more obvious with every passing game. I just hope he gets his England place, but I think that needs a Southgate sacking (which should have happened after the Croatia wc semi anyway). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

We let him go too cheap. Was said at the time and it's becoming more obvious with every passing game. I just hope he gets his England place, but I think that needs a Southgate sacking (which should have happened after the Croatia wc semi anyway). 

Heard him referred to as the "Bargain of the Transfer Window" and while there's that nagging feeling we let him go too cheap, Downes coming to us was probably also part of the deal. Bit like Maddison also looking good at Spurs. Play with players who can putt away your passes/crosses/corners and you look a whole lot better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

We got to a Euros final after that..?

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

The new media love-in for him frankly gets right on my tits.

It's not the new, though is it?

He's been a media darling for half a decade. Every time we won a free kick commentators would go into raptures, and the media have massively over egged his contribution from corners for ever.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

The new media love-in for him frankly gets right on my tits.

Wtf?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

£27M. 3 years left, club captain, best player, plays every minute of every game for basically 3 seasons consecutively (bar that Chelsea red)... Such bad business by us. 

Then when you factor in that we paid £22M for Kamel, £18M for Paul, £20M for Carillo. 

Mugged!

Well done SR!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse