Patrick Vieira

Kaiser Soze

40 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Vieira woah, Vieira woah, he comes from Senegal, he fucking hates pom.....ah.....he's gonna play Tall Paul, Vieira woah, Vieira woah.........

then into a chorus of “Tall Paul, he does fuck all” , or something like that someone was singing I found amusing.

The trouble with the likes of Viera is with success they would be looking at moving upwards but I guess that's football. His record at Palace with some good players at his disposal is also a nagging worry. Look how quickly Roy Hodgson turned things round. Viera had obviously lost the players. But beggars can't be choosers so like I said previously, we are going to have to accept some flaws whoever comes.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The trouble with the likes of Viera is with success they would be looking at moving upwards but I guess that's football. His record at Palace with some good players at his disposal is also a nagging worry. Look how quickly Roy Hodgson turned things round. Viera had obviously lost the players. But beggars can't be choosers so like I said previously, we are going to have to accept some flaws whoever comes.

I’m not really sure he’d lost the players tbh, it just went a little stale under him after some injuries and a tough set of fixtures

Vieira is a progressive manager that tends to favour a 433 system and tries to play with a bit of attacking flair, in fact it started to go wrong when he tried to flip more defensive.

We could do an awful lot worse than Vieira imo

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I’m not really sure he’d lost the players tbh, it just went a little stale under him after some injuries and a tough set of fixtures

Vieira is a progressive manager that tends to favour a 433 system and tries to play with a bit of attacking flair, in fact it started to go wrong when he tried to flip more defensive.

We could do an awful lot worse than Vieira imo

Agreed. A tough run of fixtures plus a lot of injuries put them on their bad run. He attracted some good players there as well. Would be as good as we can hope for IMO.

• Like 1

Let’s hope they have a plan with talking to these managers. Jacob Tanswell was saying how people are confused with what the plan is. They’ve had months to focus on a relegation plan so let’s hope we have a transfer/idea of play/non- footballing strategy in place. Otherwise we’ll just get rejected by the type of manager we want. 

He would get players respect because of his playing career.

Lets not judge him too much on this year at Palace, the Championship is a different animal altogether and he will want to prove himself again.

I'd be ok with him if, big if, it happened.

8 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I was very fond of the last manager we had who won the World Cup as a player, so would be happy to give him a shot (especially over Gerrard or Lampard).

I know we’ve had a player who won the World Cup as a manager, but can you remind me who you’re referring to.

I would consider this a terrible appointment, though obviously hope to be proven wrong. 

He did well at New York City with Man City's owners behind him, then failed at Nice and Crystal Palace. 

On 4 December 2020, OGC Nice announced Patrick Vieira was no longer the manager of the club after a run of 5 losses in a row in all competitions and elimination from the group stage of the Europa League.[140]

Vieira was sacked by the club [Crystal Palace] on 17 March 2023, after a twelve-game run without a win, including a three-game span without a single shot on target, left the team three points above the relegation zone.

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

We need to some what manage our exceptions I think, Vieria is probably about as big a name as we can realistically expect. He’s also someone good enough to get us out the league and keep us up imo. 

Overall he done a decent job at Palace. It didn’t end too well, but I rarely does for managers. 

He suits the ‘possession based’ style we seem to want to move towards. He’s a winner and a bit of a hard cunt, so will give a few of these a kick up the arse. 

We’re a team in transition and need a big figure to lead it. He’d strike me as a bit of a Koeman type appointment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

Dont understand the love-in with Vieira, we all know he was a great player but his managerial record is appalling

Appalling seems a bit strong. The season of rebuilding Palace last year was pretty impressive, they lost a huge chunk of Hodgsons squad that first summer.

Not sure who you think we can get that is not either a) unproven so hasn’t failed anywhere yet or b) has some failure/a sacking on their record

Last season Vieira inherited a team with loads of ending contracts and players leaving the club. He oversaw a complete rebuild of that team and I thought Palace had a great season. We have a huge rebuild coming up this summer.

This season he had his best player injured towards the end of his tenure and was managing the hardest fixture run. It’s easy to focus on no wins in 12 or 3 games with no shots on target, that is worrying in isolation. Hodgson comes in for the easiest run of fixtures and looks a genius.

Pretty sure Koeman went 11 without a win or something similar in the season we finished 6th. Factoring in this will be a championship job, I don’t see anyone ‘higher profile’ that is realistically achievable.

I wonder if Vieira one of Lavia’s heroes? 😉 I’m sure he’s leaving regardless!

• Like 3

Was our cup victory at Palace a part of the 12 match losing run? If so I think it can be discounted as that was a freak result.  It's not often that a goalkeeper effectively throws 2 goals into his net - not even Bazuma. 

Edited by Tamesaint

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Would be a good appointment, really think people need to lower their expectations on our new manager, what do they really expect? 

Mate, we had people who would only accept Guardiola, when rumours of Adkins departure were rife.

So Vieira would have done a better job if he always had a full squad to choose from and didn't get any tough games? Could say that for any manager. Would he have got them back on track had he stayed on? Who knows but his replacement certainly did so Palace made the right decision in the end to sack him.

I'm not confident of the next appointment to be honest.

• Like 1

Would be a poor appointment IMO because he has proven on more than one occasion he's not been able to turn around a bad run of results and has resorted to defensive football both times resulting in no job lasting more than 2.5 years. But that said, he's got a weirdly positive reputation and fans would get behind him so that would be a good start but evidence suggests it'll last little longer than a year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Would be a good appointment, really think people need to lower their expectations on our new manager, what do they really expect? 

Hope rather than proven mediocrity would be good. Would rather gamble on the unproven than the proven average manager. I want to be entertained at St Marys for the first time in a long time, that's all, so a manager who focuses on coaching attacking possession play into the side please, it's not a high expectation.

Edited by Fabrice29

Didn't Viera also join Palace when they overhauled their squad due to a large number of players contract expiring/getting sold?

I'd be really happy with PV as the next manager. I just can't see Rasmus not putting his ten pence in and we end up with another NJ style appointment. 

Edited by Mr Nimbus

7 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Would be a poor appointment IMO because he has proven on more than one occasion he's not been able to turn around a bad run of results and has resorted to defensive football both times resulting in no job lasting more than 2.5 years. But that said, he's got a weirdly positive reputation and fans would get behind him so that would be a good start but evidence suggests it'll last little longer than a year.

Thats all valid tbf. Worth probably saying that the majority of managers tenures are about 2/3 seasons (with some notable exceptions obviously)

2 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Thats all valid tbf. Worth probably saying that the majority of managers tenures are about 2/3 seasons (with some notable exceptions obviously)

True and would we take a promotion followed by a sacking in the PL the year after? Probably but it does feel a bit meh and there's no guarantee he delivers promotion (he's never delivered a higher finish that 4th as a manager).

Would happily take Vieira. People need to lower their expectation if they'd be unhappy with him - we've just had a season with Jones and Selles as our managers FFS. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 2

I'd be very happy with Viera. I know top players don't always make good managers but he'd be respected. His stint at Palace ended with a fair chunk of draws and losses but up until the WC they were doing OK. His transfers (I thought) were decent and he has ties to City and Arsenal which could help with transfers/loans. I also think a large chunk of the fanbase would be pretty happy with his appointment which is something I want to see, a mostly unified fanbase similar to when we first appointed Ralph. (I note that we were all unified when we appointed Nathan Jones but for different reasons. 😁) Yes Viera hasn't achieved much in his managerial career so far but then, come on, he wouldn't be linked with us if he had.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Sometimes they are successful and move to bigger clubs rather than getting sacked though

12 hours ago, Kaiser Soze said:

Have it on very good authority the club have spoken to PV. Nothing agreed but a conversation has taken place.

Maybe we are anticipating a fans backlash at the final game and were asking him how he got away with assaulting a pitch invader. 🤣