Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Thought the league switcheroo was happening late this week.

Odlly, the Premier League’s official website show Saints as a PL club whereas the EFL’s website has us as a Championship club. Curious…. (although the EFL’s site has a picture of Brentford as it’s main banner picture…).

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-championship/clubs/

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Odlly, the Premier League’s official website show Saints as a PL club whereas the EFL’s website has us as a Championship club. Curious…. (although the EFL’s site has a picture of Brentford as it’s main banner picture…).

I read somewhere that the PL AGM is happening some point next week. Maybe they will update it then. 

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Schrödinger's football club. We exist both still in the Premier League (dead) and in the Championship (alive) until the season begins..

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Schrödinger's football club. We exist both still in the Premier League (dead) and in the Championship (alive) until the season begins..

I say get Schrödinger in on a free. Decent holding midfielder. In theory

Edited by DT
  • Haha 2

On 06/06/2023 at 11:12, Nordic Saint said:

BarrySwan

Russell Martin : The sticking points and the truth behind them on 13:18 - Jun 4

Whilst I'm fully supportive of the Swans giving Southampton compensation to take Martin off our hands I'm also supportive of the board playing hardball in regards to how much we should give them.

Spoke to a client based in South Wales,  got talking about football and turned out he was a Swansea fan, asked about Martin, they generally don't seem that bothered to be losing him, strange situation really, let's just hope things click for him at St Mary's 

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Spoke to a client based in South Wales,  got talking about football and turned out he was a Swansea fan, asked about Martin, they generally don't seem that bothered to be losing him, strange situation really, let's just hope things click for him at St Mary's 

Have heard same from two I know, although they did add that he'd been restricted in the transfer market in January by their Board.

Edited by Badger

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Why should they be? He was a big downgrade on their previous 2 managers. They went from 4th under Steve Cooper down to 15th, their lowest position in the 2nd tier since 1984, under Russell Martin the following season. Swansea were struggling for most of this season too and in March 99% of their fans wanted him sacked but a late run took them up to 10th and saved his job. Even MK Dons were glad to see the back of him after he took them to 19th and 13th in League One. The highlight of his career was a record breaking passing move in a game his team lost to Gillingham.

25 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Why should they be? He was a big downgrade on their previous 2 managers. They went from 4th under Steve Cooper down to 15th, their lowest position in the 2nd tier since 1984, under Russell Martin the following season. Swansea were struggling for most of this season too and in March 99% of their fans wanted him sacked but a late run took them up to 10th and saved his job. Even MK Dons were glad to see the back of him after he took them to 19th and 13th in League One. The highlight of his career was a record breaking passing move in a game his team lost to Gillingham.

Maybe MK Dons should be careful what they wish for 🙄 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

MK Dons have done well since he left 🙄 

They went from 13th under Russell Martin to 3rd under Liam Manning the following season. So, yes, there was a big improvement when he left. Basically, Martin's career is a bit like Nathan Jones'  at the time we recruited him in that other managers immediately before and after him got much better results with the same players.

List of Milton Keynes Dons F.C. managers - Wikipedia

5 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

They went from 13th under Russell Martin to 3rd under Liam Manning the following season. So, yes, there was a big improvement when he left. Basically, Martin's career is a bit like Nathan Jones'  at the time we recruited him in that other managers immediately before and after him got much better results with the same players.

It could be said that, MK dons just carried on from Martin and he got em up and then the following season relegated with the manager you spoke of.

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

It could be said that, MK dons just carried on from Martin and he got em up and then the following season relegated with the manager you spoke of.

Click on the link to the list of MK Dons' managers. Russell Martin's record compared to their other managers is mediocre at best. He certainly wasn't one of their better managers.

39 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Jeez, you must have been busy canvassing that information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Click on the link to the list of MK Dons' managers. Russell Martin's record compared to their other managers is mediocre at best. He certainly wasn't one of their better managers.

Going by that list, whats Incey upto these days? 😅

17 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Actually what his records show to me is that it can take a bit of time for his style of play to be implemented - relatively poor first seasons but got MK Dons and Swansea playing some really nice stuff in the end. I'm sure we will have better players than both MK Dons and Swansea so fingers crossed it won't take as long for our lads to learn the tactics. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Actually what his records show to me is that it can take a bit of time for his style of play to be implemented - relatively poor first seasons but got MK Dons and Swansea playing some really nice stuff in the end. I'm sure we will have better players than both MK Dons and Swansea so fingers crossed it won't take as long for our lads to learn the tactics. 

Not sure about the playing some really nice stuff at Swansea from what I’ve read. Did have a good run at the end of last season.

As for time, will SR and the fans accept that ? I expect there will be a fair bit of discontent from the supporters (who actually attend matches) if we’re not firmly in the play off positions in October 

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Not sure about the playing some really nice stuff at Swansea from what I’ve read. Did have a good run at the end of last season.

As for time, will SR and the fans accept that ? I expect there will be a fair bit of discontent from the supporters (who actually attend matches) if we’re not firmly in the play off positions in October 

They did score some pretty good goals last season and in possession were one of the best teams in the league.

One area I am slightly concerned with is set pieces. Swansea were shocking at defending them last season and we've been really poor over the last few years. Not sure if that's due to their tactics or their players just being poor in the air.

Our fans would be discontent if we weren't top of the league after the opening game.

To be fair though, with the rumoured investment etc then I would be disappointed if we weren't in the top 6 come October/November but I think it's important that first of all we see the team playing with a proper identity again. 

58 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Getting bloody bored of fans sacking off managers before they've even come through the door.

Bore off, Clearly you lot could do a better job.

If I got the job tomorrow I'm pleased I would be guaranteed to have your support because you'd have to give me a chance to bed in and get my ideas across. 👍👍

After all, Alex Ferguson took three whole years to get going and look how well he did in the end.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If I got the job tomorrow I'm pleased I would be guaranteed your to have support because you'd have to give me a chance to bed in and get my ideas across. 👍👍

After all, Alex Ferguson took three whole years to get going and look how well he did in the end.

I would say I was in the minority of giving Nathan Jones a chance. But it was doomed from start to finish because fans got on his back from day one... and it helps no one.

Granted his attitude was poor and media handling meh, but maybe he could of been "ok" if we just supported him a 10th of what we did Ralph. - It could of lead to Jones handling the media better etc.

But what will be, will be.

I'll give Martin 15/20 games to show me what he has got before I start asking questions. Shouting profanities or boo-ing a manager just because as a fan I expect bloody Potter. Which is laughable.

I will always give a manager time, I even supported Pelegrini and thought Puel was dealt a shit hand... But fans demanded Tuchel ffs. Laughable.

👍👍

Edited by SaintsFan86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I would say I was in the minority of giving Nathan Jones a chance. But it was doomed from start to finish because fans got on his back from day one... and it helps no one.

Granted his attitude was poor and media handling meh, but maybe he could of been "ok" if we just supported him a 10th of what we did Ralph. - It could of lead to Jones handling the media better etc.

I'll give Martin 15/20 games to show me what he has got before I start asking questions. Shouting profanities or boo-ing a manager just because as a fan I expect bloody Potter. Which is laughable.

I will always give a manager time, I even supported Pelegrini and thought Puel was dealt a shit hand... But fans demanded Tuchel ffs. Laughable.

👍👍

Watching Lyanco at right back hoof the ball to Sekou Mara ooozed competence. 

6 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

👍👍

You've built up an absolute pile of strawmen here, well done. But in this heat it's quite the fire risk.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He’s neither educated or ITK

Thats for sure. Most of his articles on his UI site are nothing more than opinion pieces that tend to go around in a big circle and get nowhere.....either that or he states the bleedin obvious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Thats for sure. Most of his articles on his UI site are nothing more than opinion pieces that tend to go around in a big circle and get nowhere.....either that or he states the bleedin obvious.

Let's also not forget him assuming the role of "voice of the fans" and talking utter bollocks on our behalf back in the lowe era...

• Like 1