Russell Martin

LegalEagle

I heard the interview from todays game driving home, a lot more conciliatory. Almost as if both RM and Blackmore had been told to ‘play nice’.

Then again the broadcast interview seemed to cut in without an introduction so we don’t know how it was set up leading to it. 

1 hour ago, Winnersaint said:

This made me laugh from CCFC Forum

"Martin is a pain in the arse, jumping up and down, animated and arguing with our players throughput especially when Tanner won a tackle fair and square. Martin was abusive." 

Wasn’t able to go today, but Solent made reference to him celebrating in front of the Cardiff fans after the match.

Anyone offer any comment on this ?

And if true is this an acceptable level or side to the post match Noddyness ? 

I think he’s my favourite manager since Koeman. Seems a decent guy, seems to like being here. Although we as fans deluded ourselves with thinking players and managers love the club and will stay forever he does want to build a connection to the fans which is to be applauded. I’m full onside with Russball if we get battered every week in the premier league playing this way I don’t care, we’ll get another chance to be in the championship 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wasn’t able to go today, but Solent made reference to him celebrating in front of the Cardiff fans after the match.

obviously Cardiff & Swansea hate each other but did RM have a history with Cardiff?

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Say one of our ex managers was managing a team playing Pompey and their fans gave him a load of shit during the game.

His team go on to win and he celebrates in front of the Pompey fans. Would you think it was funny? I think I would.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Say one of our ex managers was managing a team playing Pompey and their fans gave him a load of shit during the game.

His team go on to win and he celebrates in front of the Pompey fans. Would you think it was funny? I think I would.

Nathan Jones celebrating a win for Port Vale in front of the Pompey fans would be a thing of beauty 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

obviously Cardiff & Swansea hate each other but did RM have a history with Cardiff?

Think he did a post match tactics talk of how they beat Cardiff, and one of the stats bandied about last summer was that he was the first Swansea manager to do the double over Cardiff in a season( that may have been in the Championship, can’t remember).

No idea if there was anything more personal about him and the relationship with Cardiff.

Would like to say he walked towards their hardcore behind a goal and dropped a log in the penalty area in front of them, but that would be a work of fiction ( or he’s saving that party piece up for Fratton Park), 

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Think he did a post match tactics talk of how they beat Cardiff, and one of the stats bandied about last summer was that he was the first Swansea manager to do the double over Cardiff in a season( that may have been in the Championship, can’t remember).

No idea if there was anything more personal about him and the relationship with Cardiff.

Would like to say he walked towards their hardcore behind a goal and dropped a log in the penalty area in front of them, but that would be a work of fiction ( or he’s saving that party piece up for Fratton Park), 

Yeah, he did the double and then did the double again. Only Swansea manager to have won every game against Cardiff (of those who managed more than one or two derbies)

They chanted at him a bit, early on today, I’m sure I heard some ‘Russell Martin, you know what you are’

11 hours ago, Badger said:

He was celebrating with the northam and gave a couple "4" gestures to the Cardiff fans in reference to the record against them, they all jeered him but when walking over to the itchen I'm sure he acknowledged their "banter" and got a small cheer/laugh from the Cardiff fans.

Think everyone was just having a bit of fun, no noddyness here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wsaint said:

He was celebrating with the northam and gave a couple "4" gestures to the Cardiff fans in reference to the record against them, they all jeered him but when walking over to the itchen I'm sure he acknowledged their "banter" and got a small cheer/laugh from the Cardiff fans.

But some people are looking for "Noddyness"......can't moan about much on the pitch at the moment.....let's look for something else....

On 29/11/2023 at 08:49, pimpin4rizeal said:

This, seems crazy to see complaints about Martin right now after a long unbeaten  run like this .. and after having to endure the likes of Ralph and selles picking dross like elyounoussi and such for off the ball crap  russ’s Team selections seem flawless .. Happy with him and if we continue like this we can grind down the top two 

Still think for any manager there's a degree of luck in picking the best team and formation. Adam Armstrong plays much better out wide and coming in rather than standing in a conventional no9 position, and with Sulemana out injured, he took on a wider role yesterday to great effect. The midfield of Downes and Charles looked in total charge yesterday, but wan't Smallbone injured?

That said, once again his substitutions seemed spot on and injected a bit of life in to the team.

11 hours ago, Wsaint said:

Found this from Wales Online shows  his gestures to Cardiff of the four, and “swim away” gesture

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/southampton-boss-russell-martin-hits-28218193.amp

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Found this from Wales Online shows  his gestures to Cardiff of the four, and “swim away” gesture

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/southampton-boss-russell-martin-hits-28218193.amp

On Saturday night, Martin said: “I had my time at the end. They had there’s over the 90 minutes so I enjoyed mine for 10 seconds at the end.

“I’m sure there will be people who disagree with that but I choose to feel everything and enjoy that. If you want to hammer me for 90 minutes then I’m allowed maybe 10 seconds at the end."

Don't see anything wrong with that. Glad he got his 10 seconds, it's all a bit of fun at the end of the day isn't it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is anyone seriously offended by Martin's actions?

It was probably fine when Beattie scored against P*mpey for Everton and ran up to their fans and said something along the lines of "HAVE THAT SKATES!!"

nah Bro, Russells has got bare rizz 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Approaching the halfway point of the season. How do you rate Martin so far?

5/10 for me. I personally think he talks a far better game than his ability as a manager. 

4/10. He's far too hung up on ball retention at the expense of good, solid attacking football. He learns nothing from week to week and you can predict how we'll play with nothing changing. I'm done with this keep ball nonsense and endless recycling.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

5/10 for me. I personally think he talks a far better game than his ability as a manager. 

Thought I'd have a quick look at the prediction thread and you updated it and said we would finish 9th.....so only 5/10? Tough to please. 😅

1 minute ago, saintant said:

4/10. He's far too hung up on ball retention at the expense of good, solid attacking football. He learns nothing from week to week and you can predict how we'll play with nothing changing. I'm done with this keep ball nonsense and endless recycling.

Lets hope Greta Thunberg doesnt see this.

• Haha 3

I think a lot of other managers would be doing better with this team. Whenever we go forward, we stop, sideways, back. The opposition can reorganize and then we can’t penetrate. It’s dull. It’s slow. Only a few 45mins here and there have had energy. Mostly it’s flat and boring. Martin rates himself much higher than his ‘achievements’ indicate.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

I think a lot of other managers would be doing better with this team. Whenever we go forward, we stop, sideways, back. The opposition can reorganize and then we can’t penetrate. It’s dull. It’s slow. Only a few 45mins here and there have had energy. Mostly it’s flat and boring. Martin rates himself much higher than his ‘achievements’ indicate.

This.

We've had a few decent performances, but not enough.

The lack of urgency that often comes into our play is alarming.

The keep ball, play out from the back stuff is pretty impressive at times. But we need to do SO much more in an attacking sense.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

For me, he’s a pretty average manager with no track record behind him before joining. 

Unfortunately he is living up to expectation.

But I accept that he has been let down by us not signing the striker we’ve needed for two seasons. ‘Style’ of play though is on him. 

• Like 2

Questions:

Would the Board make a brave and bold move in getting rid of him, with the hope of seeing some impetus added to our play and season? Answer is “No”.

Even if they did, would you have even the slightest confidence of them getting the appointment right ? Again, “no” .

Conclusion: he’s with us until the end of the season, so might as well support him. 

Edited by Badger

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

For me, he’s a pretty average manager with no track record behind him before joining. 

Unfortunately he is living up to expectation.

But I accept that he has been let down by us not signing the striker we’ve needed for two seasons. ‘Style’ of play though is on him. 

Boring, just boring. First time I find myself looking at my watch, not in excitement 'how long to go', but just hoping its nearly over

• Like 2

5/10, style over substance.

1) His style is bland, slow, and predictable.

2) We are unable to break down sides that sit back and let us fanny about passing side to side.

3) We continually tempt fate with playing it across and around our own area, ( Imagine Macca playing in goal with this style of play ).

4) We are unable to kill off games, seemingly happy to score 1 goal per game.

I dread to think how his managerial style and ability would measure up in the EPL.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

I don't have a problem with us playing out from the back, we are pretty good at it, despite some shit your pants moments. What annoys the fuck out of me is how slow we are in an attacking sense. Most defences we come up against our just two huge centre halves, not very mobile and not very quick. If we moved the ball forward as quickly as we seem to play out of defence, we would score so many more.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

5/10, style over substance.

1) His style is bland, slow, and predictable.

2) We are unable to break down sides that sit back and let us fanny about passing side to side.

3) We continually tempt fate with playing it across and around our own area, ( Imagine Macca playing in goal with this style of play ).

4) We are unable to kill off games, seemingly happy to score 1 goal per game.

I dread to think how his managerial style and ability would measure up in the EPL.

But, but Saints had 72% possession ..... I give him 4/10 but realise he won't be asked to leave for a long time.

Assuming Saints get very lucky and actually do get promoted I shudder to think how that will go.

This is sort of thread that other fans would take the piss out of.. 

A manager who had 4 defeats in a row early in his time at a club immediately turns that into 

W

W

D

W

D

W

W

W

D

W

W

D

D

and fans are talking about whether he should be sacked, or giving him 4 out of 10!

He is not pep, and we want to be higher but how entitled does this thread look! 

Success isn't guaranteed in football. 

If any of you were offered a manager who was, after those 4 defeats, capable of turning form around, into this sort of run, you would have bitten their hand off! 

He is not perfect, not great, makes mistakes, we are not scoring enough or killing games off, but chances are that most of your pre appointment suggestions wouldn't have achieved this run. 

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

A manager who had 4 defeats in a row early in his time at a club immediately turns that into 

W

W

D

W

D

W

W

W

D

W

W

D

D

and fans are talking about whether he should be sacked, or giving him 4 out of 10!

He is not pep but we want to be higher but how entitled does this thread look! 

If any of you were offered a manager who was, after those 4 defeats, capable of turning form around, into this sort of run, you would have bitten their hand off! 

He is not perfect, not great, makes mistakes, we are not scoring enough or killing games off, but chances are that most of your pre appointment suggestions wouldn't have achieved this run. 

Exactly, September killed us and was a horror month. It couldn't have gone much worse.

Our recovery from that has been amazing though, some disappointing results in amongst that lot for sure (Rotherham at home, which was a freak result) but overall the recovery cannot be sniffed up. Due to the level the top 2 have kept though we have been unable to recover from our bad September, not for the want of trying, but it's not to be.

2 hours ago, West end Saints said:

W

W

D

W

D

W

W

W

D

W

W

D

D

He is not pep, and we want to be higher but how entitled does this thread look! 

That's against Championship dross, with a squad containing players that cost more than the whole squad of others.

RM: 4/10.

Rasmus Ankersen: 0/10.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Exactly, September killed us and was a horror month. It couldn't have gone much worse.

Our recovery from that has been amazing though, some disappointing results in amongst that lot for sure (Rotherham at home, which was a freak result) but overall the recovery cannot be sniffed up. Due to the level the top 2 have kept though we have been unable to recover from our bad September, not for the want of trying, but it's not to be.

Rotherham at home, like huddersfield away......as said many times, either side of the this 'amazing' recovery, we have actually dropped points on Ipswich. Not as if Ipswich have won the lot during that time, they had iffy results too.....

People saying Cov are good, they finished 5th last year....they aint as good this season, they have lost their star striker, the best creative player etc and were sat 15th before yesterday's game. We play the same teams as Ipswich, in what is a weaker league in general.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

I don't think we've found the right forward balance yet. Hopefully at some point, we will, and we'll start scoring more than one goal a game regularly. We need to find a way to have someone in addition to Arma scoring regularly.

I feel like we need to accommodate Alcaraz but running from deeper, not as a withdrawn forward. Obviously it would be good to see what Stewart brings at some point....

Could we set the up more like this  perhaps:

------Downes----Charles/Smallbone

---------------Alcaraz------------

Edozie/Stuart Arm-----------Adam Arm

-------------Adams/Stewart-------

We have great options off the bench with the depth of our squad but we need to get those players capable of hitting double figures onto the pitch as often as possible.