Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Isn't that how different opinions work? Some will put a negative spin on an observation and some will put a positive spin on it. Embrace different ways of looking at things I say, rather than criticise those who see things differently to oneself... 

IMHO of course...

Haha you can spare me the Ted Lasso impression 😂

• Haha 2

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Why have you moved to the past tense?

Is English not your first language?

Happy to join the dots for you, if it helps. The switch to past tense was to question whether the club has failed in its stated ambition. 

Stated ambition, is ridiculous to hold on to anyway. Many clubs in this league, before the season started would have stated a similar ambition for many many reasons. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Tbf if you're going by resources, you could say that 3/4's of the league shouldn't be so far behind Ipswich, not just us. They are having an incredible season so far. It can happen. 

Yep, us when we last got promotion to the premier league after only getting promotion from league 1 the season before. Also Norwich the season before us did the same. 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 2

We have plenty of resources...but don't forget where we have come from. 

Last season we were absolutely shit. We were knocked out of the FA cup by a league 2 side, were lucky to beat a league 1 side in the League Cup and were so far adrift in the League  that our relegation was confirmed well before the final day. From end of August onwards we only won once at home and we had no recognisable style of play. We were shit. 

Leeds and Leicester were also relegated. They have similar resources but had a better base than us. Call it scar tissue. Call it whatever you like but we had a huge hangover at the start of the season. For us to have rebuilt and to be in our current position after a third of the season is one heluva achievement. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Last season we were absolutely shit. We were knocked out of the FA cup by a league 2 side, were lucky to beat a league 1 side in the League Cup and were so far adrift in the League  that our relegation was confirmed well before the final day. From end of August onwards we only won once at home and we had no recognisable style of play. We were shit. 

Leeds and Leicester were also relegated. They have similar resources but had a better base than us. Call it scar tissue. Call it whatever you like but we had a huge hangover at the start of the season. For us to have rebuilt and to be in our current position after a third of the season is one heluva achievement. 

You won’t get anywhere on here, writing commonsense posts. The snipers will be out for you, but we’ll said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

4th with 30 points from 16 matches is one heluva achievement. If we were in the PL. But we're in a massively inferior league, so there is no comparison.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

So how many points should we have? 

THE SAME AS IPSWICH AND LEICESTER FFS.

Then something about Ankerson. Russell Martin's hair or veganism followed up by a stat on Bazunu's save percentage. 

Swansea fans warned us apparently. All of them, they all said it. Well all of them apart from the ones I actually spoke with face to face in Wales last summer. But yeah, they all warned us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

50 minutes ago, The Cat said:

THE SAME AS IPSWICH AND LEICESTER FFS.

Then something about Ankerson. Russell Martin's hair or veganism followed up by a stat on Bazunu's save percentage. 

Swansea fans warned us apparently. All of them, they all said it. Well all of them apart from the ones I actually spoke with face to face in Wales last summer. But yeah, they all warned us.

MORE points than Ipswich and Leicester, resources equals points :facepalm:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint86 said:

What happened to that forum poll we did where like 95% of forum users wanted rid of him? Interested to see who were the ones that backed him.

In fairness that poll was at a stage where we'd lost 4 in a row and were playing a brilliant attacking RB in CM (who's since been our best player), with no signs he'd adjust.

To his credit he's changed his formation and now has found a way to get our best players on the pitch in their best position. He's also not been a scared to drop dross like Manning. 

That being said, I still don't think we look great, especially in front of goal, and still don't think we'll go up under Martin. 

• Like 7

It’s a strange one really and it depends on your out look. Going into the Nov break 4th is about par for me, but being 9 points of the automatic places is  below where I think we should be. Hopefully Ipswich will have a spell like we had, but there’s just as much chance of us doing so again. The last few games have given me hope that if we reach the play offs (which we should) our style of play will see us through, particularly at Wembley in May after a long tiring season. The key is clearly Ross Stewart, if he stays fit and bangs them in, top 2 is probable. If he doesn’t, play offs. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s a strange one really and it depends on your out look. Going into the Nov break 4th is about par for me, but being 9 points of the automatic places is  below where I think we should be. Hopefully Ipswich will have a spell like we had, but there’s just as much chance of us doing so again. The last few games have given me hope that if we reach the play offs (which we should) our style of play will see us through, particularly at Wembley in May after a long tiring season. The key is clearly Ross Stewart, if he stays fit and bangs them in, top 2 is probable. If he doesn’t, play offs. 

Good point about our style of play possibly helping us in the lottery of the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

In fairness that poll was at a stage where we'd lost 4 in a row and were playing a brilliant attacking RB in CM (who's since been our best player), with no signs he'd adjust.

To his credit he's changed his formation and now has found a way to get our best players on the pitch in their best position. He's also not been a scared to drop dross like Manning. 

That being said, I still don't think we look great, especially in front of goal, and still don't think we'll go up under Martin. 

Yep, all these smug posts are a fucking boring to be honest. He got off to a bad start but is now turning it around. 

We are winning - but even more importantly - we are defending well, with something to build on now. He has shown an adaptability and willing to change that none of us knew he had. On top of that he has done multiple interviews and revealed that he is a top bloke. 

Fans were justified to be worried at the start. We looked ragged and all signs pointed toward him being too stubborn to change. But he has adapted brilliantly. (Don’t get me wrong, there are still some worrying signs - we still haven’t put anyone to the sword and seem to give the opposition chances to get back into it instead of dominating a game fully.)

But for now I really like what I see and am very happy to give him more time, as are most fans. 

All we asked is to see the club doing the basics well and give us a platform to build on - and we are now. Credit to him  

• Like 18

On 13/11/2023 at 11:03, Osvaldorama said:

Yep, all these smug posts are a fucking boring to be honest. He got off to a bad start but is now turning it around. 

We are winning - but even more importantly - we are defending well, with something to build on now. He has shown an adaptability and willing to change that none of us knew he had. On top of that he has done multiple interviews and revealed that he is a top bloke. 

Fans were justified to be worried at the start. We looked ragged and all signs pointed toward him being too stubborn to change. But he has adapted brilliantly. (Don’t get me wrong, there are still some worrying signs - we still haven’t put anyone to the sword and seem to give the opposition chances to get back into it instead of dominating a game fully.)

But for now I really like what I see and am very happy to give him more time, as are most fans. 

All we asked is to see the club doing the basics well and give us a platform to build on - and we are now. Credit to him  

Many wet their bed far too early and it's easy to see why given the previous 24 months of abject performances and recruitment, both on and off the field.  Some of the stuff that was written on here went way too far but that goes on in many pubs, social feeds and in the stands.  People have opinions and some form them very quickly not always knowing the full picture or being particularly objective or accurate.  

We've still got a long way to go, the job is far from done.  I fully expect us to have another rocky patch or 2 in this season but having come through "Black September" I hope the support sticks behind the team when times get a bit rough or tense.

• Like 6

Tbf I’m in the camp that thought what are we doing again, when the club put all their faith in RM.

4th on a great run fair play to him. I don’t necessarily agree with so called big name managers that are constantly going round on the merry go, but a risky move again back in the summer I thought was too much. 

Nice to see a new name that potentially will become a fantastic manager. In fairness has shown some humility in not chasing a hell bent idea with no flexibility for change.

Still early days for me however, how will he handle the play offs, or automatic back to the Prem. 

Will the club stick with him if we get promoted. Still a lot of questions. Nearly into the mid season run, so far so good I guess.  It’s now I think we will start to see what the end of the season will start to look like. 

RM’s strategy is that once we get a goal, we will then try to keep possession of the ball until the final whistle. No attack is allowed. I think this strategy is only suitable for a weaker team, but not our team who are hoping for promotion. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

RM’s strategy is that once we get a goal, we will then try to keep possession of the ball until the final whistle. No attack is allowed. I think this strategy is only suitable for a weaker team, but not our team who are hoping for promotion. 

That obviously isnt the strategy. He was clearly annoyed with the performance too.

Please can we move on from it being his fault everytime we don't win a game?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

That obviously isnt the strategy. He was clearly annoyed with the performance too.

Please can we move on from it being his fault everytime we don't win a game?

Was he even in the Dressing Room at HT? He was sat on the stands before KO, assumed it was more than a touchline ban.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Was he even in the Dressing Room at HT? He was sat on the stands before KO, assumed it was more than a touchline ban.

He would have been allowed in the dressing room at HT, it's only during the game he's confined to the stands.

4 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

I'll probably get some stick for this but personally I think he's achieving the bare minimum as things stand. Today was really disappointing and there wasn't a last minute winner to bail us out like similar performances this season. 

You don't think there's been any improvement at all? 

Just now, swannymere said:

You don't think there's been any improvement at all? 

I think he's done a good job at getting the players on board with Championship football but today is a performance I've seen plenty of times this season. This is a top 2 squad. We need to be putting teams like this to the sword but it feels like we lack a ruthlessness under Martin and we are so soft defensively this year despite having, on paper, one of the best defensives in the league. 

I want it to work out for him but there's just something there for me that says it won't in the long run. I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 3