Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

8 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m pleased to say that there WAS visible improvement, we won comfortably (despite two Baz howlers) and I do think the team is moving in the right direction. What I am less sure of is whether we’re near a level that will get us near the playoffs…think the quality in the teams that have been in the Championship for a while might come as a bit of a surprise.

Two Baz howlers? FFS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Two Baz howlers? FFS

Indeed, two howlers is ridiculous. First one a Bednarek mistake let them in for a one on one. Perhaps he could have come off his line quicker, but those should go in 99% of the time. After a similar mistake from Tino in the 2nd half they were again clean through, and he made a decent stop. Didn’t get a clear view of the 2nd as it was down the other end, but watched the highlights and it was poor and he should have done better. Really needs to cut out the mistakes obviously but his calmness and good distribution may possibly go in his favour with Martin who may give him a bit more time to prove himself. We’ll see I guess, but it is obviously a worry. 
Clear how we’re going to play, and my concern was we’d concede stupid goals by messing around at the back. But we were excellent keeping possession yesterday, lots of movement, always a pass on, and Smallbone was at the heart of this, he had a great first half. And this fluidity continued in the build up play, and chances created, good to watch. 
Be interesting to see how this goes down at home, I get people don’t like pointless passing it around the back and no penetration. But we will be trying to keep the ball and inevitably there will be lots of sideways and backwards as we try and move teams around and find the openings either through the middle or out wide. Worked brilliantly yesterday, but against better opposition it won’t be so easy so I hope we give them a chance and not get on their backs when patience is needed. 
Amo was excellent, Edozie also good and Tella showed glimpses, those 3 should cause some real problems in the Championship. Best I’ve seen Armstrong play too, looked sharp, used the ball well and took his goal well and could have had a couple more. Looks like he may be our starter up front. 
Great turnout and think Martin looked genuinely impressed when he came over to clap. COYR. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Did see Russell Martin (not Selles) come over at the start of the game. Nice touch. Heard he used to do it at Swansea. Be interesting to see if he still does it if/when we go on a losing streak. You'd think it's a no-brainer as a manager to get the fans on side....just need a good song for our new guy.

I dunno, I think one of the few things Jones said that I agreed with was the reason he went straight down the tunnel after the Brentford game was because he thought going over and clapping the fans after such a terrible result would just fuel the situation.

4 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Indeed, two howlers is ridiculous.

Wasn't a "howler" per se, but his positioning on the first goal left a lot to be desired. Watch the replay from the behind the goal. It's something he does too much of: leaving the attacker about 2/3rds of the net to aim at because he's lost his bearings.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Wasn't a "howler" per se, but his positioning on the first goal left a lot to be desired. Watch the replay from the behind the goal. It's something he does too much of: leaving the attacker about 2/3rds of the net to aim at because he's lost his bearings.

Absolutely this. Let’s remember, he was brought in to be our no.1 in the PREM!  No EPL keeper let alone Championship keeper should be making those kind of rookie mistakes. It’ll end up costing us.

• Like 1

See the club have been pushing tickets for Bournemouth on the O.S . Must admit that after watching Saturday I decided to go . Not in my usual place in Itchen North though .

Cant stand the thought of the piss taking from the Dorset dicks . Mind you it would be funny if we stuffed them.

15 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

See the club have been pushing tickets for Bournemouth on the O.S . Must admit that after watching Saturday I decided to go . Not in my usual place in Itchen North though .

Cant stand the thought of the piss taking from the Dorset dicks . Mind you it would be funny if we stuffed them.

I decided to get a ticket before the Reading game in anticipation of things starting to click and one of the few opportunities I’ll get this season to get to a match.

I agree, a great deal of pleasure would be taken from a win, but a stuffing would be hilarious. It’s unlikely though - we’ve still got most of the squad that relegated us and they’re getting better.

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/match/southampton-vs-bournemouth-pre-season-friendly-2023-07-25

Looks like another match video pass required to watch the Bournemouth friendly, £5 again.

I saw 4 goals last time - that feels like more goals than i saw all last season - will go against my pirate nature and buy again

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I decided to get a ticket before the Reading game in anticipation of things starting to click and one of the few opportunities I’ll get this season to get to a match.

I agree, a great deal of pleasure would be taken from a win, but a stuffing would be hilarious. It’s unlikely though - we’ve still got most of the squad that relegated us and they’re getting better.

Just had a quick count.

Of the parts of the ground that will be open there are just under 12000 tickets left.

The 2 Chapel corners are both closed as are the 3 blocks at the centre of the Itchen.

4 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Just had a quick count.

Of the parts of the ground that will be open there are just under 12000 tickets left.

The 2 Chapel corners are both closed as are the 3 blocks at the centre of the Itchen.

UI reckon only 5k sold for tomorrow and Saturday game

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

😳 blimey that’s not good…why, is it being boycotted for some reason?!?

I can only speak for myself but there's no way I'm going to sit in a stadium with thousands of Bournemouth fans taking the piss out of us in a meaningless game. I might consider Saturday. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, M271 said:

When they said pre season matches would be streamed I don’t remember them saying that they would charge for the home matches.

It's a lot cheaper than the match day ticket at £15 so what the hell are you moaning about? The meanness of some of our supporters beggars belief

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I can only speak for myself but there's no way I'm going to sit in a stadium with thousands of Bournemouth fans taking the piss out of us in a meaningless game. I might consider Saturday. 

….and you call yourself a fan? Get off your arse and get up there tomorrow night and sod the Cherries fans.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's a lot cheaper than the match day ticket at £15 so what the hell are you moaning about? The meanness of some of our supporters beggars belief

Where does it say that I am moaning, I was just pointing out that I don’t remember the club stating before that the streams for our home preseason games were being charged for.

£5 is ok for those fans where it is not feasible to get there in person.👍

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Ticket pricing ridiculous for non STH/Members. Would have cost me near on £50 to go with my 3 lads. Should be £5 for kids and £10 adults all round. Club should encourage the generation of fans through the turnstiles. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

To be fair, little club Boscombe fans up to about 10 years ago, could only dream of 5k attendance for a match. Let them have their day, one season in their entire existence they are above us in the league system.

Edited by RedWillie

7 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I saw 4 goals last time - that feels like more goals than i saw all last season - will go against my pirate nature and buy again

When I spent a fiver on the Reading game it said the video pass was valid until the 26th so presumably including the Bournemouth game.

Just scoured my account nowhere does it mention my video pass and is trying to charge me for another pass for tomorrow

16 minutes ago, manji said:

When I spent a fiver on the Reading game it said the video pass was valid until the 26th so presumably including the Bournemouth game.

Just scoured my account nowhere does it mention my video pass and is trying to charge me for another pass for tomorrow

I found a decent stream for the Reading game apart from the non-English commentary.

• Like 2

Haven’t been able to leave the house the last few days in the build up to this Bournemouth game. The embarrassment has just been too much. The thought that Southampton FC are playing Bournemouth in a friendly has really given me sleepless nights and I’d like someone to wake me up on Wednesday when this nightmare is over, please. 

#justsoembarrassed 

• Haha 7

18 hours ago, M271 said:

When they said pre season matches would be streamed I don’t remember them saying that they would charge for the home matches.

Getting you used to doing it for other EFL games (non Saturday 3pm) I reckon

Going to be such a weird game tonight, we've sold about 5k , Bournemouth have sold out the usual away section 3.2k , can't see many paying £20 matchday price with the watch online option available. If Martin was surprised how many fans showed up at Reading he'll have the opposite tonight. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Think some Northam blocks will be empty too as they weren't on sale early on. 

Northam closed for home fans. 

Bournemouth have sold out usual away allocation 3200 so will just be blocks 40, 41, 42 left empty. 

14 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Aren't you an arsenal supporter? 

Well if its true only 5000 tickets have been sold for tonight's match and I happen to be one of them, you work it out about loyalties.

Anyway, I have a sneaky feeling that you'll be there tonight despite your earlier comment.😉

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Tuesday night with another game at the weekend is not ideal particularly if you don't live in Southampton, so I wouldn't be going even if I didn't have another commitment tonight. I'll be there on Saturday though. I wonder if there'll be many tickets sold on the day after the improved display on Saturday?

6 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Tuesday night with another game at the weekend is not ideal particularly if you don't live in Southampton, so I wouldn't be going even if I didn't have another commitment tonight. I'll be there on Saturday though. I wonder if there'll be many tickets sold on the day after the improved display on Saturday?

And 7:45 kick off isn't doing much to help families attend. First week of the summer holidays, they could have really pushed it as a family fun day with an earlier kick off etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Any club that came to us would laugh at us. They are cocky as they have decades being 3rd to 4th rate and have their opportunity to gloat. Ifwe win then their gloating will stick in their throats.

3 hours ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Bottled it. Doesn't think he can handle the pressure of playing against our biggest rivals.

Can’t blame him. He like many others won’t be able to handle the nasty “oh when the scum go marching down” chants. That would break any man. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, suewhistle said:

surely not too many, ticket prices are pretty high for a friendly against bournemouth

37 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Paid 5 quid again, told kids no holiday for them this year and santa is giving us a miss as well, wife been divorced while i am at my poorest but am sure the game will be worth it.

The saints apreciate your support, I'm sure of that much.... Even if you didn't have the bottle to watch us lose to bitter arch rivals Bournemouth in a friendly game 😡

Edited by Saint86

Having played golf until early afternoon and now resting up, I just found out that I can watch the Saints for a fiver 😇

Brill... considered going over and it would have cost me about £30 and a few hours of my valuable time so this is a result for me ✔️

Bring it on...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The saints apreciate your support, I'm sure of that much.... Even if you didn't have the bottle to watch us lose to bitter arch rivals Bournemouth in a friendly game 😡

I've thrown away kids happiness so I can watch the bournemouth game and you didn't even read my post properly, their tears will grow louder now i tell them no one believes me.