Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

Looks like the 1800 allocation has sold out, which is a top effort midweek, first round of the carabao, hope Martin respects the competition and plays a strong enough team, get some winning momentum going. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, JRM said:

Looks like the 1800 allocation has sold out, which is a top effort midweek, first round of the carabao, hope Martin respects the competition and plays a strong enough team, get some winning momentum going. 

Agree great effort.  On the “respect the competition” I am going there but fully expect us to play a different team to Friday because with a huge squad we want minutes in lots of players’ legs, particularly given high likelihood of exits from some playing Friday.  I could see the following all not playing Friday but playing at Gillingham which is still a tidy lineup:

McCarthy

KWP

Lyanco

Charles

Bree

Lavia

S armstrong

Djenopo

Adams

Aribo

Kamaldeen

4 hours ago, Forester said:

Agree great effort.  On the “respect the competition” I am going there but fully expect us to play a different team to Friday because with a huge squad we want minutes in lots of players’ legs, particularly given high likelihood of exits from some playing Friday.  I could see the following all not playing Friday but playing at Gillingham which is still a tidy lineup:

McCarthy

KWP

Lyanco

Charles

Bree

Lavia

S armstrong

Djenopo

Adams

Aribo

Kamaldeen

Don’t think we would risk the £50m pound man, even if he is still here next week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forester said:

McCarthy

KWP

Lyanco

Charles

Bree

Lavia

S armstrong

Djenopo

Adams

Aribo

Kamaldeen

Would hope we give some of the youngsters a run out. If they aren't ready for league two opposition, when are they ready? 

Bazunu

Bree

Simeu

ABK (Get minutes in the tank if he's still around and fit)

Larios/Perraud

Charles 

Doyle 

Aribo

SAA

Ballard

Mara? (Seems to have done a disappearing act in training) 

Bench: Bycroft, KWP, Lyanco, Finnigan, JWP, Dibling, S Armstrong, Onuachu, Djenepo

• Sad 1

On 25/07/2023 at 07:31, JRM said:

The allocation behind the goal has almost all gone, but for some reason we've only been given the front half of that stand (first 14 rows) , not sure why they didn't give us whole lot, that's the completely open scaffolding stand so hope it doesn't rain, they've now put on two blocks in the side stand that does have a low roof, probably better in there for making a bit of noise, can see the start of that one in this image. 

priestfield-stadium-gillingham-fc-brian-moore-stand-1417951592.jpg.9b38da5cdbbf0d72d6fd6c4091fceeb9.jpg

The reason we haven't been given the top half is because it has been deemed too dangerous and has been condemned! Not surprised as it was put up as a temporary stand in 1997! 

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

McCarthy
Bree - Lyanco - Charles - Larios
   S. Armstrong - Lavia - Aribo
Amo-Ameyaw - Adams - Djenepo

A completely rotated team and one that would probably be enough to see us through? Or give a few of the players more minutes?

Lavia wont play imo, I think his bench spot tonight was more of a gesture to Liverpool to say that he’s still our player and we can play him if we want. But I reckon there will be movement in the next week there. Meh, I could be wrong, I just feel like we’re planning for life without him. Charles will play DM and one of Stephens or Bednarek will partner Lyanco I reckon. Your front 3 may be accurate though. I wouldn’t want to see too much change while we’re still implementing our new style though.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Carabao Cup - Gillingham Away - Tuesday 1945
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
On 23/06/2023 at 09:41, Fan The Flames said:

The Medway towns, origin of the word Chav, but not really as bad as you make out, just an ordinary place with some nice areas and some shit ones.

Indeed, anyone writing off the whole of Medway as a shithole quite obviously has not experienced a shopping expedition to Hempstead Valley, a night out in Amadeus, or a day trip to The Strand.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

McCarthy
Bree - Lyanco - Charles - Larios
   S. Armstrong - Lavia - Aribo
Amo-Ameyaw - Adams - Djenepo

A completely rotated team and one that would probably be enough to see us through? Or give a few of the players more minutes?

Macca;

Bree, Lyanco, Stephens, Meghoma;

JWP, Charles, Armstrong;

Aribo, Adams, Djenepo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

Indeed, anyone writing off the whole of Medway as a shithole quite obviously has not experienced a shopping expedition to Hempstead Valley, a night out in Amadeus, or a day trip to The Strand.

Is the Pentagon Centre still in Chatham? I remember walking around there seeing needles all left on the stairwells. Horrid place.

28 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is the Pentagon Centre still in Chatham? I remember walking around there seeing needles all left on the stairwells. Horrid place.

Yeah think so. Remember that place was THE place to go for an indoor shopping expedition in North Kent back in early 80’s 😂. Mr Byrites was a particularly massive draw from fashion POV.

1 hour ago, fanimal said:

Any parking near the ground?

You can park between the ground and the town center on street, at least that's what I did when we played them in League 1. 

Shouldn't be more than a 10 minute walk back to the car after 

Not a prediction, but would love to see both Amo-Ameyaw and Ballard given a start.  Telling them beforehand to expect a first half only would avoid discouraging either of them if it wasn't working out.  But if it was, and a couple of goals went in, they could be left on for longer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Not a prediction, but would love to see both Amo-Ameyaw and Ballard given a start.  Telling them beforehand to expect a first half only would avoid discouraging either of them if it wasn't working out.  But if it was, and a couple of goals went in, they could be left on for longer.

Has Ballard had any game time in preseason??

6 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Guessing this one won’t have a stream anywhere? Pay for audio the only option if you’re not going to the game now?

DAZN shows Carabao cup matches so there might be a stream if it's featured.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 3

Hopefully Russell uses this game as a way to see what the non first choice XI can do in a competitive game. It’s a long season and we’re going to need a lot of players, no reason we can’t ring the changes AND respect the competition.

16 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Would expect Macca, Bree, Lyanco, Perraud/Larios? Charles, Stuey, Aribo, Moussa, Mara to all play if fit enough. Poss AArmstrong, Meghoma, SAA, Ballard. 

Been on holiday so didn’t get to Sheff, but really looking forward to this one!

Bazunu should play, can’t have McCarthy playing this sort of football, he’ll combust. 

• Like 2

I’m driving up from SO18 ( Bitterne triangle/ parkside) if anyone else is going and wishes to car share contact me. The last three people I took to away matches are all recovering nicely and there’s been no further action required by the CPS so that should reassure anyone.

offer rescinded. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

First time going here, will be driving. Can anyone recommend where to park / away pub?

You can park on street not too far away from the ground. Napier Arms is fine for away fans I believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

First time going here, will be driving. Can anyone recommend where to park / away pub?

If anybody is driving and wants to park (free, obviously!) by my house, I’m happy to then drive you to the ground. Will be going around 6.00 pm. DM if interested and I’ll provide directions. I‘m about 5 minutes from the M2 J4. 

28 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

If anybody is driving and wants to park (free, obviously!) by my house, I’m happy to then drive you to the ground. Will be going around 6.00 pm. DM if interested and I’ll provide directions. I‘m about 5 minutes from the M2 J4. 

Username to location checks out.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic